Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone try ACME #1442 prop?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waterbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone try ACME #1442 prop?
    Posted: May-14-2007 at 11:22am
That's what Acme just recomended to me. I have a 1991 SN closed bow, GT40P heads, alum. Edelbrock intake and cam from Cam Research. I'm wanting the best acceleration. I am a skier, not a wakeboarder.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 12:17pm
I'll be testing it in a month. Ill be doing a comparison test of the following props:

Acme 422
Acme 470
Acme 470 w/ added cup
Acme 612
Acme 1442
OJ XMP 428
OJ XMP 498
OJ Legend

Im very curious how the 1442 stacks up. I told Bill Weeks that I would be sure to share the performance numbers with him as well- hes only heard back from 1 or 2 people on the performance of that prop. It might be worth it for you to wait a month. If you dont, Id love to hear your impressions!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'll be testing it in a month. Ill be doing a comparison test of the following props:

Acme 422
Acme 470
Acme 470 w/ added cup
Acme 612
Acme 1442
OJ XMP 428
OJ XMP 498
OJ Legend

Im very curious how the 1442 stacks up. I told Bill Weeks that I would be sure to share the performance numbers with him as well- hes only heard back from 1 or 2 people on the performance of that prop. It might be worth it for you to wait a month. If you dont, Id love to hear your impressions!

What a comprehensive comparison! Can't wait to hear the results.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

What a comprehensive comparison! Can't wait to hear the results.

Ill run them all on my boat, and all the ones that fit Ill run on my dad's as well. I believe the 1442, 498 and Legend are all too big in diameter.

Ill be sure to get WOT RPM and speed numbers. Acceleration is even more important- but time/distance to a certain speed would be pretty tough to capture. Im thinking that timing them over a fixed distance (marked with buoys) would work- maybe 200 ft? Wake changes might be valuable info as well- maybe take pics at 30, 32, 34, 36. Would objective skier info be valuable (wake softness)?

If anyone has any specific ideas on how to make the test better, Id appreciate hearing them.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 1:21pm
Tim, I remember a study on some old Chris Crafts where with the given prop pitch, the rpms of the prop and then using the speed that the efficiency of the prop was calculated. It may prove that larger props with less pitch are more efficient? Don't really know! It would be a interesting comparison.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 2:11pm
Wake softness would be nice. I've ridden behind the 90-96 hull with the stock 3 blade, and it felt like a parking block in the wake cross relative even to the 4 blade Legend. It was a notable difference.

Edit: Also, cavitation out of the hole and in turns would be good info to note if possible.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 2:26pm
That's a hugh task Tim but will be valuable info for the site.

1. holeshot or pulling power. may be best measured by pulling a slalom skier up and reporting on feel.

2.achieved speed to a set time, ie 3 sec., 5 sec., etc from dead stop, probably need a gps for this to be accurate

3.top speed and rpm achieved.

4.wake characteristics

What are the specs on the 1442, is that the new 13x14 "big Block" prop? I can't find the data on amce or deltas site.

How did you get your hands on all those props?
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 2:33pm
I have a 1442 installed on my boat right now ready for some testing as well as the 470. I would have had numbers already but couldn't get the boat to start this weekend. That has been resolved so hopefully I can get some testing by this next weekend. I will do my best to get as much detail as possible and post my findings.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

That's a hugh task Tim but will be valuable info for the site.

1. holeshot or pulling power. may be best measured by pulling a slalom skier up and reporting on feel.

2.achieved speed to a set time, ie 3 sec., 5 sec., etc from dead stop, probably need a gps for this to be accurate

3.top speed and rpm achieved.

4.wake characteristics

What are the specs on the 1442, is that the new 13x14 "big Block" prop? I can't find the data on amce or deltas site.

How did you get your hands on all those props?

The 1442 is a 13.25x15 3-blade with .090 cup. A little more diameter and a little less cup than my 470 that I love. I have most of the props on hand (2 422's, 2 470's, a 612 and the Legend). The others (1442, 428, 498) are graciously being sent to me by Bill W at Acme and Eric at OJ for the purposes of this comparison.

Im planning on doing the following objective tests:

-WOT RPM
-WOT speed (GPS)
-instant holeshot RPM (unloaded)
-acceleration: time to fixed point (maybe 200' ?)
-RPM at 32/34/36

Due to the margin of error (lag) in watching the speed on GPS or the speedo, Im not sure I can capture any meaningful "0-36" or "speed achieved at a set time" type data. Im also not sure if a loaded WOT acceleration test would be meaningful since there are more variables with a skier- plus Im not sure I can find anyone willing to get yanked at WOT repeatedly. Ill definitely do a subjective test on holeshot with a skier for each prop though, as I want to get impressions of the wake differences anyways.

That leaves subjective skier (slalom, ~32MPH) impressions of:
-wake size
-wake shape
-wake firmness

...and subjective driving impressions of:
-holeshot with skier
-speed holding with skier
-bite/cavitation in corners
-smoothness
-noise

Ill take pics of the skiing wake at 30/32/34/36 or any other speed that is deemed significant.

Any other things that would be meaningful to measure or observe? Comments/suggestions are welcome!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 4:02pm
Tim, with all this water time, I don't know how ,but it a cruel world out there and someone has to do the testing. This will enhance our sport with both numbers and seat of the pants testing.
I know this, as a test subject,to be a thankless job but who better the Tim.My hat is off to you and yours for the tireless research and time dedicated to this project.
As you get closer to completion of this endeavor will we be thankful, yes we will.The Discovery Channel may want to do a shoot to be aired on the series,Worlds Worst Jobs.They can name it Test Pilot..........boat dr   
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

it a cruel world out there and someone has to do the testing.

Doc, thats the way I see it too. I cant think of many things worse than having to perform several days worth of WOT testing. Being on the lake in late June can be pretty unpleasant, but someones gotta do it
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2007 at 1:08am
I finally got a chance to try the 470 and the 1442 today. My testing wasn't nearly as thorough as what TRBenj is planning but I will share it anyway. First the basics, I have a 94 SN with what I believe is a stock 300HP GT 40. I am also at 4000' elevation so performance is never as good as published numbers.

Ok, now for the numbers. All tests were run with 3 people in the boat and probably 100 lbs of equipment with no ballast. This boat had the orignal 4 blade OJ Legend 13x16 on it with a top end of 43 MPH at 4900 RPM. I wanted to bring the RPMs down a little since redline should be at 4800.

The 470 topped out at 42.9 with 4850 RPMs. The holeshot felt slightly better over the stock prop but not by very much.

Acme said the 1442 should would have about 100 RPM's lower than the 470 so I was thinking this prop would be the answer. This one tops out at 43.9 also with 4850 RPM. The holeshot was a little more sluggish than the 470 but still had no trouble yanking me out of the water.

Both props seemed to smooth out the wake over the OJ prop. There was less turblence at both barefoot speeds and skiing speeds.

The most interesting thing we determined is the 1442 made the boat easier to drive. Dialing in the speed was easier. Also from the driver perspective it was smoother running than the rest.

The part I don't understand is why did all three props give me approximately the same top end RPM?
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 12:14pm
I'm very interested in finding the best prop for my '94 Sport Nautique. I remember when I changed the prop on my '78 from the old stock Federal to the new ACME 540 ...WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The performance gains were unbeliveable!

Now, with the '94 I had to replace the shaft, strut and prop when I bought the boat. So I bought a NEW Federal 14X16 Supercup (identical to the original). I have a couple of problems with the performance.

1) The boat does not hold speed very well (like on my '78 - BEFORE I changed to the 540).

2) I have to use way too much effort to steer right when underway. I have adjusted the rudder as directed until the steering in a straight line is "neutral", but the effort to steer right is still too much.

I think these two problems could both be elliminated with a better prop.

So far, I haven't heard anyone raving about a particular prop for our 1.23:1 boats like they have about the ACME 540 for the 1:1 boats. But if someone has some good advice, I'd love to hear it.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 12:33pm
I went to a 470 from the stock prop on my 95 SNOB...and I am very pleased. Stock prop had been redone a couple of times...so it was not in the best of condition. I dont have any raw numbers, just pleased all around.
waterbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 12:58pm
I am very happy with the 1442. Much better all around than stock. Feels like a new boat, all the vibration is gone. I have only run stock gear until now so I have nothing else to compare it to. I am very happy with it. I would like to give the 470 a try, but don't want to purchase one just to try out.

Thanks for all your input...
1997 SN 196
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 8:41pm
I also went to the 470 from my stock prop (Federal 14x16) on my '89 with the 1.23:1. I was extremely pleased with the performance gains but noticed that the prop was a lot noiser than the federal, is this normal.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 8:47am
Originally posted by bbrech1 bbrech1 wrote:

I also went to the 470 from my stock prop (Federal 14x16) on my '89 with the 1.23:1. I was extremely pleased with the performance gains but noticed that the prop was a lot noiser than the federal, is this normal.

From my experience, yes. The 470 definitely has some sound to it- its smooth as silk but it has some serious bite.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 9:33am
Originally posted by jameski jameski wrote:

So far, I haven't heard anyone raving about a particular prop for our 1.23:1 boats like they have about the ACME 540 for the 1:1 boats.

I was already sold on a 540 before Magicman let me borrow his. I've been hesitant to give it back, after all I think this is the same prop that he swiped from the raffle at GL last year and bought a new one for the guy instead of taking it off his 81. It's a sign... I will have to meet M3Fan at Hooters for lunch this week to borrow his puller and get that prop off, with tears in my eyes.
bbrech1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrech1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 4:12pm
What is the maximum RPM that you would expect to see from a 470 on a 1.23:1 trans?

What is the maximum RPM (Redline) on a '89 SN non-GT40?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by bbrech1 bbrech1 wrote:

What is the maximum RPM that you would expect to see from a 470 on a 1.23:1 trans?

What is the maximum RPM (Redline) on a '89 SN non-GT40?

On my stock motor, max RPM's increased from 4400 to 4600 with the 470 (coming from an OJ Legend). You can expect a similar increase (200 RPM).

The internals of the 240hp 351w are the same as the 285-310hp motors, so they are just as strong. The only difference is the powerband (peak power on the 240hp motor occurs at a lower RPM), hence the lower recommended max RPM of 4400 (vs. 4800-5000 on the HO motors). Personally, Im not worried about running my motor 5200+. You shouldnt turn any more than 4600-4800 with the 470, so I wouldnt worry about it from a reliability standpoint. The increased RPM's will improve overall performance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic