NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 11:02am
I have not forgotten how much that sh*t itches, takes about two years for me to forget that I swore I would never take a grinder to a fibergla$$ boat again.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
sterlingmermaid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 5:07pm
I haven't purchased any materials yet. I had the boat for sale but no bites yet so I do a little every Saturday and pretty soon I will take the boat off the market and keep it. What year is the boat you have pictured? I am wondering it it is better to put this one back together the way it was or do the stingers in sections like your boat
tk
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:42pm
Eric sorry I missed calling you today. Had a guy I know call me to plow some snow for him. Was up all last night, got home just in time to change clothes and head to work. NO snow expected tonight so tomarrow should be a safe bet. I don't want you thinking I am question your work. I was just wondering about gla$$ing the marine plywood, because I wasn't sure that the marine plywood would take the gla$$. Just trying to learn.

Sterlingmermaid, the boat Eric is working on is my 1987 Barefooter.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:52pm
bigger ,better, stronger thats all you need to think BFN, you can get away at the factory with cutting back on materials, im using 3/4 everywhere in place of the 1/2" they used. the driver seat will be sitting on 3/4 instead of 3/16" gla$$. on the supports i have true 2x4 poplar. I have 1 strut in place and was letting some one kick it because they said I wont be able to cut it because it will wobble. I'll take some pics once i have the 3 front struts in and tied to the stringers. on the fourth picture you can see the thickness of the floor and that went right to the pole, they poured foam and then gla$$ed over it. you can also see the 1/2 x 1" strips they put in for support
"the things you own will start to own you"
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:58pm
Eric, did you get the pics I e-mailed today?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 7:01pm
Gary sure did, looks like someone went to town on that coupling, I couldnt print them so if you could send them to
mandy4037@windstream.net
Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2007 at 5:02pm
Eric was good talking to you today, looking forward to seeing the new pics of your hard work. Let me know when you get a chance on the size of the riser outlet. I am sure it is OD that they want but both would be nice just incase. Thanks again.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:35am
BFN... 3 inches    
You know they make a growth pill....

I measured they are 3"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 4:37pm
Eric thanks, just to be sure that's OD measurement right?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:10pm
87, Ill let Eric confirm, but it should be. As far as I can tell, exhaust tubing (hard, like stainless) is listed by outside diameter, while exhaust hose (soft) is listed by inside diameter. A Nautique dealer told me all the 351w and 454 dual exhaust boats came with 3" hose.
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2007 at 8:32pm
Eric, just reading through this thread I noticed that you said that you were going to use hardwood for the stringers. Then read on a little farther and noticed that you said that you were going to use Poplar. I was glad to read that. I have seen some bad experiences when trying to epoxy "white oak". Epoxy does not adhere well to white oak although white oak is very strong and weather resistant hardwood. Just my $.02 don't mean to butt in, looks like you do fine work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2007 at 8:09am
nice catch 2 nautiques, poplar seems to work well for anything structural, it is on the lower end of hardwoods with a nice grain and excepts and absorbs the resin well. if i was replacing the main stringers oak would be a good choice due to the large grain and ridgity. someone asked about composite stringers and i spoke with a well known surveyor from my area and i asked him what he thought about them, he said he hates them, i left it at that.... we were on our 5th one and i forgot to ask him why.
BFN hose I.D 3.00 exhaust O.D 3.00
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:56am

port stringer, I will fill with strucural foam then gla$$ it into the original shape of the stringers
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:57am

Port side tied in, its a messy job and a very itchy job, tommorow i will tie in the floor support struts with 2x4 poplar following my original floor line, then foam. one of the last steps is foaming because you foam one compartment at a time and cut the excess and put in the next compartmant to eliminate waiste. battery box is foamed into place with temporary wood to locate, i will set floor on top then gla$$ in and make a spaceless cover
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:57am

foamed in 316 surgical grade 3" tube instead of the thin crushed plastic tube for air vents, notice small clear tube for battery drain. also using white pvc for negative and positve cables, opted not to use stainless for the cables due to fire hazard and cables shorting. on the main cable and wire harness tube you can get away with the stainless
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:58am

3/4 mpw tieing all stringers and gla$$ed also water checked to a$$ure no lekage between compartments. The green underneath that you see is a filler called Long and strong it is used to fill the voids where the old wood was, not pretty but it serves a purpose, I also ran 3" flexible aluminum tube from the airbox to the three pipes on the left, originally in there was flexible plastic blower plastic which was all rotted and crushed from the foam expansion, the flexible aluminum holds its shape with the foam
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 11:58am

front strut supports, these will be chalklined to original floor line and cut to tie into 3/4 floor which originally the floor sat on the foam attached to nothing. this area is the most important part of the boat, it ties all the stringers in and makes the boat very rigid and solid, I am deviating from factory to make the boat stronger than original. i had a marine surveyor take a peek at it and he basically said that i was building a tank. the only weight difference will be a total of 4 sheets of plywood and possibly a difference will be noticed.
i calculated probably 200lbs of wet foam was removed when dis-a$$embled
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:05pm
Eric that looks great, I am glad to see it going back together. Can't wait to have it back home again. It feels like something is missing with out it being in the garage.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:35pm
eric I a$$uming that the pictures are reverse of the order that they where performed?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:37pm
Its not pretty now but it will be when its done
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:43pm
79... the second picture is how it looks at this point   eric
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:50pm
makes sense, so you did the tubing for the wires and cross members in the bow first, guess you would have to to tie in the stringer. It's coming along nicely. I notice that your and skibum's? resin is red are you adding a die or is it just that color, What I have seen is more of a clear to yellowish color.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 12:54pm
its a yellow color, when you apply to the old gla$$ its highlighted from the old gla$$, I but all of my gla$$ing materials out of St. Pete, including the foams
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-18-2007 at 1:00pm

this is a tight woven 18 ounce matte, very good for all around gla$$ing repairs, the roll is about 12" in diameter and weighs roughly 30lbs., in the background is the aluminum flex used for connecting the air box to the vent tubes
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 12:24am
Eric good thing your not closer or you would have to charge extra for the owner sitting around watching, learning, trying to help when he wasn't at work.
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 7:31am
Looking good Eric. Are you getting your materials From Fibergla$$ Coatings?
hasbeenskier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 9:14am
BFN..... the pictures are a better tool to learn and they keep a man honest...that really isnt your boat,there pictures i saved from another one

hasbeen, yes they are customer service oriented they dont specialize in 1000 different things. If you have a question they have the answer. when you buy something you go to one place that specializes in it that way you dont get a line of bull crap. I'll post the number for anyone that may need it
Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2007 at 10:57am
well from the looks of that other guys boat he was real happy when you were done with it Eric.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 4:13pm
Not to bug you or anything Eric. Might you have any new pics for us, of your hard work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2007 at 7:58pm
The boat caught up with me today, i did take pics but im too lazy to post, im not use to hard labor, i didnt even stop for lunch and 5:00 oclock hit and it was lights out, for sure tommorow
   Eric
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic