NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A 351w (stroker?) from scratch...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 13>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 2:21pm
you have to be in the right mind......budweiser, michelob, canadian club
"the things you own will start to own you"
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2008 at 2:59pm
I knew I was doing something wrong, I havent had a drink in almost two months as I am trying to get myself back in shape after nearly two years of injuries
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
SUNAPEE CROW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 12:45am
Joe,
Am I to understand that you are laminating new stringers from "coosa board" rather than using spruce? My boat is due and if possible I'd like to replace with rot free material. I'd like to know more.Thanks
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 12:45pm
Joe - Any updates?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 8:48pm
A few but I am in Minnesota for business this week so I cant upload the photos, and things havent moved as quick as if I was there to do work one the boat. Long weekend coming up though so I hope at least the secondary stringers will both be down and in by tuesday.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 12:29pm
Well June 9th was a big day on this project, the last wood stringer has now been evicted. I have three stringers fabricated, shaped, bedded, filleted, and taped, one more to be laminated today, shaped and bedded tomorrow. I basically go from work to the gym to the shop to bed these days so havent loaded pictures yet, but I have more pictures of fiberglass dust than anyone could ever need.

Interesting time of year to be doing this project, I have the triple joy of sunburn, mosquito bites, and fiberglass itch driving me nuts... but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

This time I mean it, I am never doing this again....

If anyone has a picture of the cooler setup for thier pcm transmission, or of how the cable attaches please share, I think I still need a couple peices.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 1:16pm
Here you go, Joe- hopefully these help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 2:04pm
Tim,
Where did you get that flame arrestor? My son just put a performer intake on his boat and now he has motor box clearance issues with the stock one. Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 3:27pm
Rick, locating that arrestor was particularly difficult. SkiDIM used to sell it, but its NLA as far as I can tell. It was used on several Nautiques in the mid-late 80's (more common on big blocks and '88 Ski Nautiques for some reason), so I was able to scrounge for mine.

There are a few other low profile arrestors out there, though. Try these:

$$Gafrig$$

Chrysler short type

Glen-L

Keith Eckert
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2008 at 4:16pm
Thanks for the pictures Tim, I am definitely going to need a few more bits.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 2:11am
Tim,
   Thanks for the links. At least two look like viable options.

Rick

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 1:43pm
I was taking a look at my arrestor, couldn't they be cut down? They're brass right? Couldn't you cut the mesh part down to the height required and then braze it back onto the top piece?

Seems to be the easiest way to get a shorter arrestor.
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUNAPEE CROW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 5:21pm
Mark,
I am thinking that you would have to keep the surface area the same or larger. Keep in mind that the motor is pulling 351 cubic inches of air every two revolutions.If sombody has proven that shortening the stock arrestor still provides enough flow, that would be the easiest way out.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by SUNAPEE CROW SUNAPEE CROW wrote:

Mark,
I am thinking that you would have to keep the surface area the same or larger. Keep in mind that the motor is pulling 351 cubic inches of air every two revolutions.If sombody has proven that shortening the stock arrestor still provides enough flow, that would be the easiest way out.

not an issue there is more than enough air flow even with a shorter arrestor
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 5:37pm
In the pictures above, TRBenj's shortened arrestor looks to be about the same diameter as the stock. I don't think he would put anything restrictive on that beauty of an engine.

I understand that if you cut down a 3.5" arrestor to 2" you'd be loosing 7" x 3.14 = 21.98 circumference x 1.5" = 32.97 sq inches of available flow.

What this translates into the real world I do not know.
1978 Nautique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Mark Mel Mark Mel wrote:

In the pictures above, TRBenj's shortened arrestor looks to be about the same diameter as the stock.

My stock arrestor was actually 6.5" in diam, with only 2" of element (and a 1" ring below it). The new arrestor is 8" in diam, with the same 2" element- so I picked up area.

None of the arrestors Ive seen are very restrictive- so I wouldnt worry about losing flow by cutting down the stock arrestor.
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

My stock arrestor was actually 6.5" in diam, with only 2" of element (and a 1" ring below it). The new arrestor is 8" in diam, with the same 2" element- so I picked up area.

None of the arrestors Ive seen are very restrictive- so I wouldnt worry about losing flow by cutting down the stock arrestor.

As I thought, ;)
1978 Nautique

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:18pm
Joe, can't wait to see the pics. I did it the old way and have been lookng forward to seeing the new fangled way!

Tim, isn't that the stock arrestor for the 454?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2008 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Tim, isn't that the stock arrestor for the 454?

Yup, there seem to have been a few different ones used, but the one I have is one of them!

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

It was used on several Nautiques in the mid-late 80's (more common on big blocks and '88 Ski Nautiques for some reason)

I figure if it can flow enough CFM to feed a 454, then it shouldnt be holding me back.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 8:42pm
Well slowly but surely things are coming along,

This is me screwing around with the toys coming in and avoiding the grinder for a few minutes..

I dont know if I had showed this yet but this tool is worth its weight in gold, for cutting fiberglass, faster than an abrasive wheel and it made it through the whole project with basically no damage, its a little over twenty dollars but a bargain compared to the cutoff wheels you will break and it isnt constantly getting smaller on you.

Here is the last stringer laminated, shaped, and ready to go in, you can see the three half inch layers of coosa, one layer of glass inbetween each layer.

new home after stringer removal, grinding, acetone wipedown.

fiberglass matt and cloth rolls hung up for use, each is over a hundred lbs

Boat with last stringer bedded and taped in.

Everything is covered in dust

This was the worst stringer, serious rot under the drivers seat and more under the fiberglass by the rear cradle bolt. I have to keep it around to show to the people who keep asking me why I tore apart a "perfectly good boat"

My fiber glass supplies were holding out well at the begining of the weekend.

Damn, I seem to be missing bunches of pictures so thats all for now, I have two stringers pretty well glassed in now, and two more that I will finish tonight. then on to the supports, the front work, and the floor..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 9:39pm
Rock on Joe! I'm guessing the engine isn't in the same room?   
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 10:05pm
Joe,
What's the gray filler? in the center of the bilge? You're not planning on having the boat ready for GL are you?

BTW, Before you post more pictures, I think you need to put a warning about your work area not being in the best of shape. This of coarse is for Greg - He may be in shock about now!! You notice that I don't post many pictures of my work area for fear of Greg's mental health!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

your work area not being in the best of shape.

A clean shop is a sign of a sick mind.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 1:48am

Joe,
What's the gray filler? in the center of the bilge? You're not planning on having the boat ready for GL are you?

BTW, Before you post more pictures, I think you need to put a warning about your work area not being in the best of shape. This of coarse is for Greg - He may be in shock about now!! You notice that I don't post many pictures of my work area for fear of Greg's mental health!

Et Tu Brainard, then fall Fennessy.

That boat will be ready in time for green lake hoping to have it for the fourth of July weekend, worst case scenario parts of the stereo don't get in before green lake. Last year I didnt get the engine back from the dyno shop till the 3rd of July so I figure I am much farther ahead this year...

When I started the night my shop was mearly in a state of complete and utter disarray due to some very heavy rains and flooding tonight is now an abomination but the show must go on, I will clean up in the fall, or the first rainy day after I finish the boat, whatever comes first.

Some more toys to go in

Here is a series showing the lamination of the second secondary stringer

Results after shaping and sanding

And where I left it tonight

Thats all four stringers down with 2 layers each of 2 inch tape, 4 inch tape, 8 inch tape, and 10 oz epoxy mat. More than enough for the secondary stringers, the main stringers will get some additional layers of cloth from the engine cradle back. Havent ground down the center area yet because its a waste of time to do so when your center stringers arent finished yet, as drips and dirty resin from walking around in the middle will continue to make it a mess until that point.    

I really started going through epoxy when the mat came into play, I using gallons at a time now I have 3.5 gallons left but I am going to call in for more tomorrow so I don't end up waiting, Will probably go overboard but I have to have something to go along with all the extra cloth and epoxy mat I bought just to have around the shop.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:10am
Joe, is your engine mount - transmission - log - shaft - strut geometry going to change a lot. Do you have that all figured out?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 2:43am
The strut and log stay the same (although the strut gets a new vesconite bearing and the log is going to be an oj dripless). The transmission is longer and requires a shorter prop shaft 51 vs 54 inches. The transmission mounts bolt to the same place on the cradle but are different

Old left, new right.

The attaching blocks are different, but old top, new bottom, but the new would work on the old, maybe vice versa as well.

The main difference is the range of adjustment is centered much higher on the pcm style vs borg warner style

new on top, old on bottom

new left, old right

near as I can tell the engine mounts themselves are the same except for the attaching blocks and mount in the same place, I have the new ones but havent compared them to really figure out the difference yet.

The engine will be much more level with the new transmission but I do not know if that will have the engine higher, lower, in the front or back yet in relation to the old setup.

So I am sure I can get it in there and aligned but will the motor box fit is another story, plan to put the engine in to test fit before carpeting it up that way I can build a sub base of some sort if need be.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 7:04am
Looking great Joe yes Diamond is the way to go cuts it like butter.

How did you find the weight of the main stringers, as my old wood ones came in at 30 lb each and my Grp came in at 60 lb each.

Well done.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 8:50am

This of course is for Greg - He may be in shock about now!!

Now see...you got me all out of context. From the way Joe described a few things on my thread, I was sure he knew something that I hadn't figured out yet?!!?

Joe, I'm happy to see the dust. Anyone making the kind of time you are is gonna make a mess!
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 10:39am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

How did you find the weight of the main stringers, as my old wood ones came in at 30 lb each and my Grp came in at 60 lb each.

I did not weight the stringers but the new ones are much lighter than the ones that came out, I would guess they are pretty close to the 40% lighter ratio that the material manufacturer quoted.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 12:29pm
Joe
Thanks for the info, she is going to fly, forget Air Nautique yours is a Fly Nautique, and looks like I have Tug Nautique Oh Well.

Great Job.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 13>
  Share Topic