NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump relay failed.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump relay failed.
    Posted: July-05-2020 at 3:51pm
Well, cheers to having that spare fuel pump relay, as it saved the day on the water. Launched the boat this morning, cranked it, and it soon died, wouldn’t restart. Turn key on, no pump sound. Swapped out the one relay (the one on the dongle) and was GTG 🙂 I’ll change out the other and put a couple more spares on board.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 6:33pm
Bringing the following back up:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The failure rate of the relays seems pretty high due to reports here plus the fact that some even carry spares. Yes, they are a common relays used for many applications in automotive but the application on a inductive load causes arcing of the contacts that drastically reduce the life especially on a DC inductive load. When designed, someone missed the fact that arc suppression is needed. It's a simple RC circuit that's simple to add. Commercial snubber modules are even available. Snubber modules

Or just buy plenty of spare relays.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2020 at 8:09pm
You could read the rest of the thread that Pete pulled that quote from if you click on the link below

link

Then you could probably say "yep, I (and the previous owner) got my money's worth from that relay and carry a couple spares like you plan on.

To quote someone here on CCF..................."keep it original"   
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 2:13pm
Note to self: “buy spare fuel pump relay for boat glove box...”
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Note to self: “buy spare fuel pump relay for boat glove box...”

JQ

Write that note twice or make your note say "buy 2 relays"

Since the ECM relay and the fuel pump relay are the same relay and a bad ECM relay will not allow power to the fuel pump relay, it's a lot easier to "shotgun it" and replace both at the same time instead of swapping relays around to figure out which one is bad when you're 20 miles from the launch ramp

Then later on you can figure out what's good and what's bad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 3:30pm
Yep, always replace in pairs. My second one here tomorrow. Plus two spares. Odd my NAPA didn’t have them.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Yep, always replace in pairs. My second one here tomorrow. Plus two spares. Odd my NAPA didn’t have them.

Didn't have the specific brand you wanted? They are generic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You can walk into your favorite parts store and ask for a blower motor relay for a 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood, Brougham or an Eldorado too, for example and get the right relays for your gt40

I just figured I'd post this from an older thread and all those Caddy words will probably send Pete on a trip down memory lane    

The part number is Echlin AR-174
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 5:16pm

Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Didn't have the specific brand you wanted? They are generic.

Yeah, wanted the USA Hella.
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 6:15pm
I just bought 2 Hella Relays from Nautique Parts. What P/N do you buy from your local auto parts store?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 6:39pm
I wouldn't mess around with just a couple spares. Go for this to keep on board

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2020 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Kevin's '79 Kevin's '79 wrote:

I just bought 2 Hella Relays from Nautique Parts. What P/N do you buy from your local auto parts store?

The Hella relay in the link or any of the Hellas in the cross reference at the bottom of the same link will work

link
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2020 at 2:29am

Bringing the following back up:

The failure rate of the relays seems pretty high due to reports here plus the fact that some even carry spares. Yes, they are a common relays used for many applications in automotive but the application on a inductive load causes arcing of the contacts that drastically reduce the life especially on a DC inductive load. When designed, someone missed the fact that arc suppression is needed. It's a simple RC circuit that's simple to add. Commercial snubber modules are even available. Snubber modules

Or just buy plenty of spare relays.

I think a few spares is the easy way to go, but rather than a diode, why not a capacitor?  At least in the olden days, that's how I got rid of arching on a relay.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic