Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tranmission Nightmare

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Delhiski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delhiski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranmission Nightmare
    Posted: May-19-2020 at 9:44am
I'm in big trouble, I played maintenance mechanic this weekend and I attempted to change the transmission fluid. Review pics and see my mess. I poked the small plastic 1/4 tube into dipstick and after pulling about 8-10 OZs out of fluid, I couldn't get anymore. So I quit and pulled on the hose. IT STUCK.... after you review i ended up breaking off the tube attempting to twist and pulling. with pics tonight I see it appears that the tube may have entered the port to the left or engine side of the dipstick. I am not sure of how much hose is left, but really can't be much? I have tried everything to get the last piece out..... narrow needle nose pliers and dr surgery like clamp device pliers. #stupididea #1994nautique #verylowhours <200hrs Make sure you blow up pics as best you can to see the extent of my stupidity. PCM .40 I think 1992??
The question, do I run, drive, and risk it? If it gets hot it may be easier to remove? Will it get sucked into the guts and ruin everything? If it gets into the oil, can I just change and suck it out and be great for all eternity? Is the only choice to pull the transmission and get in and remove plastic tube and not risk further damage.? Best guess how much?
I will try to add pictures of my.mess!!![I
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:11am
I opted to pull the trans and remove.
Delhiski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delhiski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:15am
Did this happen to you, or is your comment stating i should just pull and remove the plastic tube?
Delhiski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delhiski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:17am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Did this happen to you or you are stating that i should pull and remove the tube....?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:22am
B4 removing trans, I would try to use a screw, maybe a drywall screw to grab it. Somehow you will need to mount the screw firmly to the end of a tube.

Time to think outside the box.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Delhiski Delhiski wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Did this happen to you or you are stating that i should pull and remove the tube....?

I didn’t think my words were unclear... but I would do the same again.

My hose was snagged something fierce, as I assume yours was. There was no fishing it out with a little hook as Snob suggests. The trans can be pulled and reinstalled in an hour or so. Worst part is pulling the invertaflow.
bigwavedave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigwavedave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:00am
I have a friend who did the same thing we got it out by grabbing it with a screw Iwent under boat and started to move the propeller shaft and it finally broke loose thanks Dave
bigwavedave
Jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 3:37pm
I have also been in this situation. fortunately I was able to eventually get the tube to come out but legit almost teared up in anger during the process. What I have done since is use a straight piece of metal brake line. I push the rubber line of my oil extractor over that metal line and insert the metal line into the trans.
95 Sport Nautique
Delhiski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delhiski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2020 at 4:41pm

I did have success with getting a friend to remove. here is pic of what was removed. Big sigh of relief. He did end up removing the exhaust to get a better angle to remove.
Thanks all for help
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 4:26am
Originally posted by Jordanh Jordanh wrote:

I have also been in this situation. fortunately I was able to eventually get the tube to come out but legit almost teared up in anger during the process. What I have done since is use a straight piece of metal brake line. I push the rubber line of my oil extractor over that metal line and insert the metal line into the trans.

Exactly what I do. Went from being a PIA and a little risky to being so easy I change the tranny fluid every time I change the engine oil at 50hrs (I had a PCM tranny go out on my previous Nautique).
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 4:31am
Oh, and using a metal brake line means there's no chance of pushing a plastic hose too hard such that it bends at the bottom of the tranny and possibly breaks.

Congrats on getting it out!!!

BTW, when my tranny went out on my '96, I got a new one from SKIDIM. It came with a 12" cooler (vs the standard 6"). I almost pulled it off to put it in the '97 I got, but instead just bought a 12" cooler and put it in. Since PCM went to a 12", and I've had a PCM tranny die, I'm keeping it as cool as possible. Just an FYI to everyone.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2020 at 1:24pm
yep....I use a metal tube down into my trans. as well. NEVER have to worry about breaking off a plastic tube that way.
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2020 at 12:33pm
Here is what I use to suck the old Tranny fluid out of mine. It's normally used to put fluid IN a lower unit on and outboard. Anyway, I tooke a 20 inch long piece of 1/4" O.D. copper tubing, inserted into the suction end, I drop that down into the tranny, and can suck out 2 quarts in just a couple minutes.

SkiNJ45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNJ45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2020 at 4:25pm
I ran into the same problem with my '91 Sport when winterizing last weekend.  I lost 2-3" of plastic hose in the transmission (1.23) and I am not sure what to do.  There is definitely no getting it out through the same hole it went in. 
Do I really need to remove the transmission? If, so, any good tutorials on this?  
Delhiski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delhiski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2020 at 7:00pm
It was a mess.....  Ended up taking off muffler to get better access to oil fill hole and to get a better access with tools.  not sure if you can see the hose, we were able to, but just enough to get a long needle nose on it.  With muffler out and long needle nose attached, one person wiggled the prop back and forth and it finally released and came out. I was lucky....best of luck to you.  
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2020 at 10:33pm
Lesson learned, careful where you stick your hose...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2020 at 6:42am
Originally posted by SkiNJ45 SkiNJ45 wrote:

I ran into the same problem with my '91 Sport when winterizing last weekend.  I lost 2-3" of plastic hose in the transmission (1.23) and I am not sure what to do.  There is definitely no getting it out through the same hole it went in. 
Do I really need to remove the transmission? If, so, any good tutorials on this?  

There are probably some people out there that just left it in the transmission as long as the dipstick fits back in  They just don't admit it though  Wink

If taking the muffler off  for better access like mentioned above works for you, and you get it out then you'll be all set.

If you're gonna remove the transmission, here's a link with a writeup that works pretty good. It's about the 3rd post from the end.

It was written for a B/W transmission but the basic steps are the same. You just have the big muffler to get out of the way also

SkiNJ45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNJ45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2020 at 6:42am
Thanks. Unfortunately it’s in there for me. No getting it out the same way it went in.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2020 at 9:53pm
a little research is worth your time before DIYing stuff like this.  Plenty of posts about NOT using plastic tubes down into the transmission.   Now, pull your tranny, and get that crap out, then next time use metal tubing when changing tranny fluid.  

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 2:47pm
sounds dangerous....here is my solution....never try to pull all the fluid out....just keep adding when low.

or better yet....I get Eddie to do it for me.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SkiNJ45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNJ45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 7:35pm
Thanks for the write up!
I did buy the boat to learn a little while having fun but this one might be too big of a task for me to tackle especially with winter setting in. I called my local Nautique dealer to see what they will charge.
SkiNJ45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNJ45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 7:36pm
I think I need an Eddie too!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 7:59pm
Pulling the tranny is not a big deal, esp. if you are not in a hurry.  You just need a bottle or scissor jack to lift up under the manifold.  Then put in a safety block of course.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

sounds dangerous....here is my solution....never try to pull all the fluid out....just keep adding when low.

or better yet....I get Eddie to do it for me.

john
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2020 at 10:01pm
Eddie is a good friend indeed
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 1:55am
At 28 and 32 years of age I pulled our tranny from the 78 Nautique.  Both times, no issue.  Lifted it out and carried to to the work bench.  Took it apart and fixed it.  Both times failure was due to boat being put in reverse while going forward at speed.  Broke the reverse clutch as I recall.   Terminology probably wrong.  Unbolted it and lifted it out by hand, one guy, carried it into the garage and set it on the work bench for repair.  They are not complicated and we had a Nautique dealer only 8 miles away so parts were easy to get back then.   I do not remember how many hours were on it at the time but it was up to 1,500 when we sold it and that tranny was working perfectly.  The only parts I replaced were the parts that actually broke, gaskets and seals, I used the same bearings because they still looked great.  After saying that, at 28 years old I could lift much more than I can now at 63 years old.  I think today I would use an engine hoist to remove it just to keep my back in good shape for future water skiing.   We are supposed to have 80* weather this Thursday, November 5th!  We are trying to get a group out to ski one last time this year.   Fall hits us Friday with 60* and wind forecast.  Good luck with your fix.
Mark
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2020 at 5:55am

I called my local Nautique dealer to see what they will charge.

Don't be shocked. Report back as to what they say. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiNJ45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiNJ45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2020 at 1:22pm
So I decided to go for it and pull the transmission. Thank you all for the advice and KENO for the instructions. That and the nice weather here is Jersey were definitely factors. 
Having a hard time uploading pics but my estimate on the length of the stuck tube was way off. The thing was probably 6 inches! Glad I got it out of there.

Could use some more help though - I got the transmission reinstalled and was about to put the muffler back on when I realized the shaft is no longer spinning freely. Like, not at all. I know it was before taking everything apart and I know that the transmission was rotating freely before reinstalling. Any advice?  Everything is back together tight, could I have seated it incorrectly? 
Thanks in advance!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2020 at 1:40pm
Dan,
When you R&R'd the trans, there's a chance the engine moved so I suggest doing an alignment. 

Take a look at this video:

https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21279&title=shaft-strut-alignment-video

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2020 at 7:59am

I called my local Nautique dealer to see what they will charge.

Dan,
Did you ever get a price from the dealer? If so, was it a firm price or did it have some unknowns in it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic