Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dunphy X-55 fine tuning

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 12:51am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jon,
What was done to the hull? Has it been fiber glassed?

It appears to have been completely refinished at the time of the resto. All the wood is solid and zero fiberglass. Nice and straight too, no bow or bubble to the bottom.
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 12:55am
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Originally posted by Extratx Extratx wrote:

Thanks for the photos guys! Definitely looks like my running gear is not original. Did you see any stamping on your strut?   

Yes, barely legible "D 160" on port side.

This makes me happy. At least I’m not chasing after a geometry change. Rudder as prop yes, but moving the motor, new strut, new shaft was starting to sound like a lot of extra work! My strut is stamped exactly the same.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 6:39am

here are the 'notches' in the stock 12x15 prop...

This is not the modification Dunphy was doing to the props. This notch is a stress relief common on many props.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 8:31am

Here's a better picture showing the prop where it's been ground out. I was wrong, the modification is on the aft end of the hub and blade. The area is were the shadow is.

So Pete

There's no other way to say it other than that picture is terrible at best when it comes to showing whatever you're trying to show as a concave ground out area

I see a lot of glare, is that what you're calling the shadow.?

Maybe another picture with a pencil or some kind of pointer pointing at the ground out area would be helpful
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 1:59pm
Thanks again for everyone's help. It appears I have the correct strut, and so therefore my drive angle is correct. I just need to replace the rudder and prop and I'll be operating like she was meant to run.

Pete,

Best way to get all those bugs off your boat is to get it in the water! Thanks for taking the time to take those pictures for me.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Extratx Extratx wrote:

Pete,

Best way to get all those bugs off your boat is to get it in the water!                 

Being from Texas you might be unaware of how cold it actually got in upper Wisconsin last winter. Normally the ice is not even out yet,Pete usually gets all 3 boats out for the day around August 3,tucks them away again for the year on August 4th.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 2:13pm
poor pete......living in the frozen tundra and having to take all the gruff for it!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 7:05pm
btw, I think your boat looks fantastic. Seldom see the detailed wood deck (which I think was an option) as most are vinyl-covered. Original or otherwise, looks awesome!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 7:15pm

Seldom see the detailed wood deck (which I think was an option) as most are vinyl-covered.

Brian,
All the X's had vinyl decks. No option for wood. The early ones had solid turquoise vinyl, then turquoise down the middle with white on the sides (like mine), then some opposite and even solid white. The same goes for the skins white and turquoise or all turquoise. Mine skins are solid turquoise. What combination is yours?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 7:41pm
I bought this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXGG8LIpSUc

Bought directly from owner in Reno, NV. Curious about the CF numbers, I backtracked ownership. Coupled with finding/contacting family members of our childhood neighbors (and Dunphy owners), I confirmed that it is in fact the very boat I learned to ski behind at Lake Berryessa when I was 11.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 7:49pm
Brian,
Very nice

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 8:25pm
Thanks. I've put a lot into it since purchase:
Rebuilt engine (mostly to re-seal it)
Had new keel, stringers and bottom done
Sourced correct deck vents
Overhauled trailer
Lot's of miscellany...still looking for a set of side emblems, or a set to borrow and scan (a friend owns an automotive emblem company in Burbank, Ca and can make any emblem.)

Oh, and these pesky leaking YH's...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 8:36pm

Had new keel, stringers and bottom done

I wasn't going to say anything but hearing the PO had glassed the bottom sure worried me. Glad the bottom was repaired the correct way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 2:00pm
Extratx,

If you haven't purchased a new prop yet, I'll gladly send you my spare 12x15 to try...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

skimoore64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimoore64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2021 at 3:59pm
I owned a 1964 X-55 Dunphy for a long time - blew the engine and sold in 1996 - before that is was a great boat - I had two props a 13 x 13, and the 12 x 15, which was the better of the two props - quicker out of the hole, and higher rpm and speed - I beleive the 12 x 15 was the prop that they put on at the factory - My Boat was called " Talk About Run"  which it did!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2021 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Being from Texas you might be unaware of how cold it actually got in upper Wisconsin last winter. Normally the ice is not even out yet,Pete usually gets all 3 boats out for the day around August 3,tucks them away again for the year on August 4th.
Gary,
I was going to post a new in the off topic on the same subject but then I just spotted this. FYI, yup, today the ice was finally gone from the boat house slip so I dropped the X in and got her out. Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by skimoore64 skimoore64 wrote:

I owned a 1964 X-55 Dunphy for a long time - blew the engine and sold in 1996 - before that is was a great boat - I had two props a 13 x 13, and the 12 x 15, which was the better of the two props - quicker out of the hole, and higher rpm and speed - I beleive the 12 x 15 was the prop that they put on at the factory - My Boat was called " Talk About Run"  which it did!

Stu,
Sorry to hear about the engine problem. What blew on it? Do you know if it was ever rebuilt? Yes, the 12x15's came on all of the X's. I'm surprised you ran a 13" since the prop to hull clearance would have been less than 1/2". That would have caused major hull rash. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2021 at 5:49pm
Too funny this popped up today. Got the X-55 out on the water for the first time since 2019 yesterday. Got plenty of comments about the old bird from all sorts. Funny I’ve never had so many volunteer dock hands until this boat. She ran strong, and didn’t sink. Lake was rough but still saw 48mph on the gps. Chasing that 55. Maybe I’ll get there this year.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2021 at 5:57am

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary,
I was going to post a new in the off topic on the same subject but then I just spotted this. FYI, yup, today the ice was finally gone from the boat house slip so I dropped the X in and got her out. Big smile

Let's hope you didn't have to paddle home again this year Wink
skimoore64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimoore64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2021 at 8:38am
the water pump went out while out skiing, did not notice it and motor froze up. Waited a while to see if it would unfreeze, and when i tried to start it the starter turned over, but it broke the gear drive on the cam shaft - ugly.

As for the 13 x 13 prop, it might of been close to the hull, but never seemed to be an issue - the 12 x 15 ran much better and faster for the sure - 

Those Carter carbs were fun and easy to work on, very unique application with the H-intake manifold.

I do miss the boat in general, but not all the tinkering it took to keep it looking good and running.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2021 at 10:12am
Hate to add to the Dunphy bandwidth here on this site...but there isn't anywhere else for us idiots...I mean X-55 owners to go.
Extratx..great to get the old girl out. Thanks again for the (well documented here) carburetor work in 2019. That and a fuel pressure regulator set at 3.5# pressure, and she starts and runs like a champ. (even Pete put one on his X...shhhhh) Got an honest 50 mph. Yes, the prop is the key.
My long-delayed (CoViD) side emblem project is almost finished and they are near-perfect re-pops of the originals. I also sourced marine vinyl with the correct 1" heat pleated seams. What an odyssey!! Will re-upholster over winter. Another deviation from stock....the motor box. The original wood one is just too dang heavy to easily lift completely out of the way, so I made an exact copy from Coosa board. Ahhh.....light. Also Coosa driver's seat bulkhead and floorboards. Pretty cool old boats!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

h2oproofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h2oproofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2022 at 11:02pm
Did u finish emblems
I am in need of set for x55 as well?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2022 at 12:33pm
@h20proofer
MourningWood has sent you a couple Private Messages...the answer lies within...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic