NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

312 Y Block Winterizing/Draining

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 312 Y Block Winterizing/Draining
    Posted: November-14-2022 at 12:14pm
Since it's been about 40 years since you last rebuilt a carburetor, I'd just run it with the jets you have and see how it does  Wink

I don't think I'd worry at all about the different size secondary jets since they're as close as they are

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2022 at 8:42am
Carb rebuild went well, starts and runs, hoping to water test today, see how it goes.

One question on the 4100 Ford Carb, re-used the existing jets, primary's only had one marked, it was a 50, my assumption was the other was a 50 as well. On the secondary's, one was a 62 and the other was a 63. Believe they should be the same, is that enough of a concern to replace one or the other so they match?

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2022 at 9:47am
I'd get a 3rd axle under there as soon as possible to carry that load.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2022 at 8:55pm
As you can see he's had to get a different ride to blend in- so far so good. The rest is just icing on the cake. Notice how this setup protects the rear of the boat against tree damage, quite ingenious. 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2022 at 7:19am
Bruce, trailer is still occupied by the old hull, should be gone soon and we will get her swapped over.

Are pics still a giant PITA to add on the site, been a while since I added any?

Now have a rebuild kit in hand, see how that goes as it's been about 14,600 days since my last carb rebuild. Carb is a Ford 4100 F4.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2022 at 2:13pm
How about a picture on that new trailer?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2022 at 1:25pm
Be patient on the points delivery..............he only looks at them every 28 years or so Wink

My search buddy "Googlie" doesn't think you ever started a separate thread but it gets mentioned in a couple or a few threads and you said you were gonna start one................So start one pronto big boy.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2022 at 9:03am
1,817 days have passed, hope is starting to fade :), see what is in the mail later today.

How time flies, pulled the Classic out of the archives recently and have re-engaged on the resto.
Over the past couple thousand days, Quick update, worked on the hull quite a bit to remove all the resin some PO had added around the waterline as well as some sanding on the hull sides. Sides definitely have substantial cracking throughout but all is pretty faint so should shine back up pretty well. The top deck is in very good shape and should only need compound and polish.

Recently, changed the oil and filter, added some restore to the oil and freshened up the gas with some treatment. She starts and runs however there are some carb issues. Did get her back on the water, shifts smooth but needed to hold the choke closed to rev up at all. Going to rebuild the carb and put in some fresh spark plugs next. More to follow.

Also do not recall if I ever started a separate thread on this restore, will need to see if something is out there unless of course Ken provides a link :)

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 9:01am
I think that's what you're getting.

Make sure you update this when it shows up.

Pictures are needed of course
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 11:58pm
Trying to keep up, is Pete mailing me a Protec duralast used condensing rotor cap from China that is not original??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 7:16pm
Gary,
You are so correct. Small engines didn't even cross my mind!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 7:12pm
You'd better check this link out Pete. I suspect you have touched more of them than your neighboring state's senator touched butts
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 5:38pm
No Vertex or "Pro-tec" mag and certainly not Duralast branded. This is the only mag I've ever fooled with:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 5:24pm
By Duralast
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 5:08pm
MagTec ProTec
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 5:05pm
ProTec
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:19pm
I'm gonna take a guess that you have a custom built Vertex magneto providing the spark to that 4 banger
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Actually my main reason for linking the thread was to remind Pete about sending you his Sierra ignition kit that he'll never ever use.

Or he'll never admit that he'd use it anyways

Well Ken, now that you have once again worked me over bringing up the Sierra kit, I dug it out and took a closer look at it. Talk about forgetfulness, the parts in the kit are used so, I DID use the kit!!

Gotta keep old minds active Pete, I'm just doing my part.

I'm not sure about you though, first we find out you have an electronic ignition module in the Tique and now you've used Sierra ignition parts in the Dunphy.at some point in time

What kind of secrets are you hiding in the Atom?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Actually my main reason for linking the thread was to remind Pete about sending you his Sierra ignition kit that he'll never ever use.

Well Ken, now that you have once again worked me over bringing up the Sierra kit, I dug it out and took a closer look at it. Talk about forgetfulness, the parts in the kit are used so, I DID use the kit!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 10:26am
LOL, I just searched that one out this am to make a list of ignition parts needed that have not arrived in the mail yet :) and did see the oil filter recommendation, good to see our information database is consistent and expanding, literally!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:45am
You must be getting old and forgetful Quinner, you asked the oil filter question back in the thread linked below
old thread

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:43am
LOL, if 5.19" is good, 7" got to be better! All it needs is a few floor modifications.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Definitely going with the 1515 then as I need every inch I can get!!

Thanks Guys!!

Well big boy, if you're lookin' for length you might want a NAPA 1773.

It's the length enhanced version, it's about 7 inches long.

Riley's will fit for sure though
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:05am
Let us know how that 1515 works out. You may want to pick up a Sawzall while you're at NAPA.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:32am
Definitely going with the 1515 then as I need every inch I can get!!

Thanks Guys!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:29am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We use a NAPA Gold 1521 oil filter.

Or a Napa Gold 1068 which is the shorter version if there is a clearance problem to a stringer like my X55 has.

I figure your 1068 is the shorter version of something but it's not the shorter version of a 1521.

The 1521 is 3.78 inches long

Your 1068 is 4.33 inches long

A 1515 is 5.19 inches long so you would have the shorter version of that.

So Pete, yours is longer than Riley's
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Or a Napa Gold 1068 which is the shorter version if there is a clearance problem to a stringer like my X55 has.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 10:21pm
You should have Hollywood remove the pump and replace the impellers while he's down there..

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 10:06pm
No I did not search because I know you guys have the answer, what oil filter does this block use? The one on there now is some crazy off brand and looks like it was installed with a hammer.

The drain plug on the water pump is a disaster, going to try a vice grip to get it off and then replace it, thank you HW for looking at it for me as I could not contort enough to see what the heck it was, lol.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 12:40pm
Last time I visited Uncle Wally ( couple of hours ago) I checked out the 15w40 stuff and good ole' Supertech 15w40 still has the CJ-4 rating and plenty of zinc (And cheap but good $ 9.88 a gallon)

The latest Rotella T-4 15w40 still has plenty of zinc too, but some people just can't get past the lack of a gas engine rating like SM or SN. Others can and still use it

Click on Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection tested on 3/30/17. That's the CK-4 rated stuff

They update it as they test stuff so you have to pay attention to dates and ratings.

PQIA diesel oil link
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic