NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 CC Classic Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1964 CC Classic Restoration
    Posted: April-13-2017 at 2:53pm
As some may know I recently purchased a new to me 1964 Correct Craft Classic in the very rare Blue, I will start a new thread on the boat as a whole soon however at this point I am looking for guidance on basic tune up and engine parts.

Zach and Timmy helped me get the boat running last weekend (thanks again boys!), she ran fairly well but Zach suggested a complete tune-up. Based on their observations they believe this boat has a factory downdraft 4 barrel.

What I am looking for is part numbers for the following items:
Oil Filter - looks to be screw on type, not a canister but too beat up to read anything on it
Spark Plugs & Gap
Cap, Rotor, Points, Condenser
Anything special on plug wires??

And if other then NAPA best source to purchase items

Thanks in advance and some pics from the maiden voyage

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

First you should clean it out before launching   

Napa will most likely be best for tuneup parts. I went to mine down here for PCM parts,the counter man said as he looked for an old parts catalog that it was worth it's weight in gold---

Pete will be along to recommend Autozone shortly
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 3:56pm
Beautiful boat. That is all.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 4:08pm
Chris,
I get all my tune up parts from Napa. There's also a Sierra    kit out there.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:06pm

NAPA gold filter is 1521

Highly doubtful that is an original marine carb set up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:15pm
Whys that Bruce? I see no signs of a conversion. Fuel lines, carb, intake, motorbox all look original. At least to these non-expert eyes.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:18pm
If that is the same boat that has been for sale 2 previous times over the years, 62Wood and I did extensive research on it and determined it was a likely convert, Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Here's an old pic. Motor box looks raised. Fuel line doesn't look original. Thermostat housing looks pretty neat. What's the lettering say on it?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:27pm
Bruce thanks, I will get some better pics of the engine, there is one pic in my first post.
Serial number is PC239, have the build sheet as well, will get that in here as well.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:28pm
Pic is shown above as well, but yes. Got to crawl all over it this past weekend. Didn't see any signs of it being a conversion- carb swap, paint color/patina, motorbox construction/modifications, etc. All looked legit to these uncalibrated eyes. Believe Kutsch had similar thoughts, comparing to his fathers 64.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:41pm
It's a great looking boat. I really like the colors.

It's certainly possible that it's original. Interceptor may have put some down drafts on them towards the end of the line and they never made it into the manuals. Or they could have offered a conversion kit. The thermostat housing does look like it was made for marine use.

The motor box doesn't look like it's been altered?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

NAPA gold filter is 1521

My 312 uses a Napa Gold 1068. It's a shorter filter since the X55 stringer is close to the filter.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

NAPA gold filter is 1521

My 312 uses a Napa Gold 1068. It's a shorter filter since the X55 stringer is close to the filter.

1068? Isn't that a GM number?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:50pm
Me too Bruce Ever since seeing my first Classic thought they were cool, after I drove Reid's I thought they were Super Cool, after seeing my first Blue one I knew I had to have one! The Blue is in decent shape and should polish out nicely, the white is cracked throughout and has paint or something below the boot stripe, tested a couple spots and hoping it will shine up again which should make the cracks fade quite a bit.. Below the boot strip won't really know until I can strip what is there.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 5:55pm
Sparkplugs are Champion F10. They don't make that number anymore, but NAPA will cross reference them.

Chris, Keep in mind how cool Reid's is and how imperfect the gel is. If you've got just the white hull to deal with, you're in good shape.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:04pm
The Blue being in good shape was a pleasant surprise. Kutsch has a 64' Ski Nautique with same color combo and looking at mine he said their white hull is exactly the same, cracked throughout.

Thanks for all the part numbers, any idea on the cap and rotor??
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:11pm
No on the cap and rotor. We've never changed ours.   I think the rotor is the same one all Mallory YL's use, which won't mean much at NAPA. You may have to remove them and bring them in. That's a lot quicker than standing at the counter watching someone paw through all their books.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:20pm
Thanks again Bruce, I will be sure and post the NAPA numbers for future reference
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:26pm

NAPA gold filter is 1521

1068? Isn't that a GM number?

Bruce,
I have no idea but it's the filter I've been using for around 40 years!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:34pm
Like Riley said those part numbers are for a Mallory distributor

I have a fairly old NAPA marine catalog that gives numbers shown below for a Mallory marine distributor for a 312 Ford
Cap   18-5376
Rotor 18-5404-1
Condenser 18-5338
Points 18-5314

This would be for a Mallory distributor with the normal looking cap not the crab cap.

The Mallory distributor number on the tag if it's still there might be YL-350A or YL 387A, both take the same parts listed above.

If you have a crab cap there would be different numbers for the cap and rotor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:36pm

No on the cap and rotor. We've never changed ours.   I think the rotor is the same one all Mallory YL's use, which won't mean much at NAPA. You may have to remove them and bring them in. That's a lot quicker than standing at the counter watching someone paw through all their books.

The cap, rotor and condenser is included in the Sierra kit. It's their part # 18-5271

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 6:58pm
Cant wait to drink a beer in that beauty!
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 7:00pm

The cap, rotor and condenser is included in the Sierra kit. It's their part # 18-5271

Somebody must have hacked Pete's account, since the real Pete has no love at all for Sierra parts. Pretty much despises anything Sierra

Oh that's right Sierra and NAPA have the same part numbers.

Why is that Pete?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Like Riley said those part numbers are for a Mallory distributor
Cap   18-5376
Rotor 18-5404-1
Condenser 18-5338
Points 18-5314

E-Bay shows the following for these numbers
cap        24pcs
rotor       15pcs
cond        9pcs
points     15pcs
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Somebody must have hacked Pete's account, since the real Pete has no love at all for Sierra parts. Pretty much despises anything Sierra

Oh that's right Sierra and NAPA have the same part numbers.

Why is that Pete?

Ken,
Napa and Sierra have the same #'s! The Chinese copy everything!! Well, you do learn something every day of your life and still die stupid! No, as a rule I don't like Sierra but I just happen to have a #18-5271 kit in my marine cabinet. I got it just before I took the X55 to GL one year. I figured I had better give the 312 a tune up so just in case my 25 year old point set failed, I wouldn't hear about it from all the CCfan members the rest of my life!    Well, Napa did end up coming up with all the Echlin parts so I never used the Sierra kit.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 7:52pm
The real Pete is back

Since you'll never use your Sierra kit, why don't you be a good guy and ship it down to Quinner since they're the same parts as he'd get at NAPA?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 7:57pm

Bruce,
I have no idea but it's the filter I've been using for around 40 years!!

You should change your oil and filter more often Pete I think 40 years is really pushing it.

The plugs cross reference to Champion part # 129 RF 10C knowing that you can cross reference to other brands

The Echlin ignition parts I just bought were made in Mexico

Cross reference for Champion F10
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2017 at 8:35pm
Very cool boat. Is there a story about the color. It doesn't look blue. The brochure says there was a turquoise option but not blue.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 10:45am
Bruce, I agree with Tim. I haven't seen many 312s up close but that intake manifold looked to be specifically designed for marine used. The rear runners were quite a bit taller in the rear and shorter in the front presumable to compensate for the rearward angle of the engine in the boats/running on plane.

The carburetor is unlike any 4bbl I have ever seen before. It was similar in design to the early 90s "Fishbowl Holley", The entire top half could be removed to open the fuel bowls and the vacuum secondary was located on the rear (facing rearward) bowl.

All of the paint/patina matched the engine exactly as far as I could tell. It even had a brass tube that came up to the (What would be electric choke puck but was not) to heat the choke spring with exhaust gasses from the intake crossover.

Steve commented that the paint on the inside of the engine box appeared to be original like his dads.

Certainly, not some backyard 4bbl conversion. Maybe an upgrade offered from interceptor? Very neat and period correct from what I could tell. 4bbl even still works!

We didn't look at the prop but by driving it I could tell it was over propped. Tach was INOP but when the 4bbl opened there was a tiny increase in RPM and lots more noise.

Pumped for Chris to get it running properly with some smooth running gear. I will foot behind that thing.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 10:58am
Looks like this baby is an Autolite 4100 series 4 bbl. First making its appearance on a 57 T bird 312. 4100 production ran from 57-65. Certainly possible the boat came from interceptor this way given the period the carbs came on factory vehicles.

4100 info
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2017 at 11:06am
Zach, could be... The intake looks different from ours which is a TBird manifold. It's a late model boat and could have one of the last Y blocks Interceptor put out and they may have introduced a downdraft for them by that time.. Our '66 Mustang has a downdraft which I believe is factory and I have not seen any reference to those, other than similar vintage Mustangs with the same set up. That vintage boat was definitely the end of the line for those 6 bangers. The motor box doesn't look like it's been added onto along the bottom?

The intake should say Interceptor on it somewhere if they made it. If it's a Ford intake, it should have a Ford number on it. Sometimes it's difficult to tell original from a modification on a 50 year old modification.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic