Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NOT GETTING FULL POWER

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
1993 Sport Nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1993 Sport Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NOT GETTING FULL POWER
    Posted: May-25-2004 at 1:00am
I would first like to thank anyone willing to respond to this post.

OK, here we go. 1993 Sport Nautique. 302 Ford with Electronic Ignition.

Symptoms:

1) Out of the hole, the boat bogs a little and then lets loose after a few seconds. It is annoying skiing behind it as you can imagine. Then It runs up to about 4,000 RPMs and wont go any further. Every tenth time, the boat will increase to full speed which is around 5,000 RPM's.

Resolution: I thought that this was an obvious accelerator pump issue, so I had the carb rebuilt. At the carb shop they tested it on an engine after being rebuilt and it worked great. They set the idle to about 800 RPM. I took the carb and put it on my boat and the idle was around 1,200. I checked the linkage, it was fine. Testing again the boat had the same symptoms. Bogging and then no top speed. Also, I replaced the spark plugs.

Other: Other things I have done are replace the fuel filter, I am now going to replace the fuel pump. I am not sure if I have a fuel problem or if I have some type of electrical issue.

Please help ~Steve Martini
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 1:39am
You say the boat falls on it's face for the first ten hole-shots. Then it runs good but not at peak? What is the engine temp when you start?, and when it runs, so-so? Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. a cold block and intake is smaller than a hot, or running temp. one.
eCow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 2:02am
I also would vote for the vacume leak. That will give the high idle and running lean will cause power issues also.
Steven Martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 2:19am
I agree about vacuum. But where the heck are the vacuum lines on this engine? I cannot find one? It does not matter whether the boat is hot or cold.

To elaborate, the boat stumbles to reach full power which most of the time is only 4,000 RPM instead of the full 5,000.00
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 3:48am
Check around the carb are there any black plugs or covers that look cracked or melted?
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 10:59am
It doesn't have to be a vacuum hose to be a vacuum leak. Check all of the gaskets between the carb and the intake manifold. (i.e. intake manifold, spacer to manifold, and carb to spacer)
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 1:35pm
When replacing the gaskets between the
carb, spacer, and intake manifold, should
you use a gasket dressing such as RTV or
hylomar?
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 1:42pm
If you're using brand new gaskets and you have perfectly flat and clean mating surfaces then you shouldn't need anything. On boats as old as ours, I seriously doubt the above is the case. The bottom flange of the carb is usually slightly warped. I always spray my carb and spacer gaskets lightly with with copper RTV. It makes for more work the next time, but I've never had a vacume leak since I started doing it.   
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
SteveMartinni View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMartinni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 5:56pm
Thanks Guys,

I will pull the carb back off, use the copper RTV and reapply. I agree that it does act like a vaccum leak, I just cant find the sucker.

Regarding "Check around the carb are there any black plugs or covers that look cracked or melted?"

I am a little confused about these? I will check however.
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2004 at 8:25pm
One good way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray some starting fluid. If you have a rough idle the vacuum leak will suck in the starting fluid and will smooth out temporarily. Use the long tube on the sprayer and use very small spurts in specific locations to pinpoint the leak.

Steve, your problem could be electrical. Check your charging system and your timing.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2004 at 12:59am
Bingo! Jameski. Spray carb cleaner, ether, anything solvent based, around the carb base, intake manifold, to see if the engine r.p.m.'s change. I use Permatex, "the good stuff" in a caulk gun applicator, on everything I work on, and own. It's great, urethane and polymer rules. If you seal all gasket surfaces, and still have a problem, I would check engine timing, and if you can, take the valve covers off, pull the coil wire off, crank it over and watch all the rocker arms to see if all are rocking properly.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2004 at 6:44am
I was gonna post the idea of using the Starter fluid to find the leak.....BE CAREFULL...I work offshore and we used to do this a lot, but a few years ago the Manufacturers quietly removed it from their Troubleshooting guides.

Jameski said the problem could be Electrical...if so, you have a "source and ignition" so again, be carefull.

What type of advance do you have? Vacuum or Mechanical?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Steve Martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2004 at 3:29pm

Wow, thanks for all of the help.
By the way I am out in San Diego in Mission Bay; Salt Water sucks let me tell you. I am from the Finger Lakes region of NY originally where the water is fresh! Much better.

Anyway, took her out last night after replacing the fuel pump, reinstalling the carb with some copper RTV. Initially I thought it was fixed, the idle was much better. When I started to give it to her, she began to back fire and would stall out. So, I began to think that since I have gone through the fuel that maybe it is an electrical issue like you suggested. Well I began to look at the plug wires from the spark plugs and they were fine. Then I traced them back to the electrical block (electronic ignition) and found that three out of the 8 were very badly corroded. It was very weird, 5 looked brand new and then three that were right next to each to other looked like they had been sitting in salt water for a couple of months. So, I scraped the rust with a screw driver and tested it out, I got my full speed this time but I still had hesitation and backfiring. But it was better. So I think this is the problem. I am going to replace the spark plug wires. Should I buy PCM factory or will any do from an auto parts store? Also, I have a question about my electronic ignition; I do not think it is factory because I cannot find anything in the service manual about it. All they have is info about non-electrical. I do not know anything about my electronic ignition. It says PCM on the black top where the distributor should be but there is no marking on the black block on the back of the engine where the plug wires run too? Where could I find out about this and would it be an idea to replace it? Any suggestions?

Steve
Steve Martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2004 at 4:01pm
Also, I did do the starting fluid technique, after using the copper RTV, there appeared to be no leaks
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2004 at 1:13am
I think 66polyhead said to check the timing and I agree.

When starting out, if you have the Holley, the engine goes through (struggles with) two stages.

First is running with the idle circuit in the carb and retarded timing...then you hit the gas and...your pumping gas through the accelerator pump, and jets as the advance mechanism kicks in. Lot of things going on that have to be right.

If you've re-built the carb and removed that mystery...check your timing and advance. If you still have the vacuum leak it will not allow your engine to advance properly....or the advance unit itself needs repair (pretty rare)
64 Skier
71CC
steve martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2004 at 2:35am
But 64 Skier, I have an electronic ignition, there is no way to set the timing on an electronic ignition right? I did not think there was, but if there is I would love to know.

Thanks

64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2004 at 1:27pm
Just rotate the distributor.

Not sure what type of PCM Electronic Ignition you have, but I'm assuming what you are refering to is one without points.

If you'll loosen the bolt holding the distributor in place and rotate, you'll adjust the timing. Of course, you'll need to shoot the light on it to watch the adjustment.

Hope this helps you out.
64 Skier
71CC
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2004 at 2:20pm
It sounds alot like timing. Take the distributor cap off. Next remove the rotor and the plate where the points/magnetic pickup is mounted. Under that plate is the advance mechanism. If it is mechanical make sure it's not rusted to where it won't advance. I its vacumn make sure pulling a vacunm on the hose moves it and that the hose doesn't leak. It may also be getting caught as it advances.   Also you can put a timing light on the engine run it crack the throttle and see if the timing mark moves.Hope this helps.
thevogt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thevogt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2004 at 1:34am
Steve-
Sounds like the Pro-Tec ignition. Same as on my '93 Sport. For a '93 PCM manual, try this link. It is a discussion I started on PlanetNautique awhile back when I was having problems on mine. They came through with a PCM manual that I was able to download. Also, I always used carb cleaner, not ether, to test for leaks.

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1037

Scroll way down for the link to the download. It has a wealth of info. I don't think there is a change from '93 to '94 on the 302. You could also call Correct Craft and see if they can get you one if this isn't what you want. Hope this helps.

Gary
'93 Sport Nautique-351 ProBoss-104 hrs as of 5/15/04 (shame on me)
steven martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2004 at 4:23pm
Gary:

Thanks a lot. I will look into all of this.
Did you have troubles with yours?
Can you set the timing on these things?
What is your e-mail?
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2004 at 3:57am
Steve I'm in Rancho Bernardo. Email rloomis2@san.rr.com contact me I'll see if I can help
thevogt View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thevogt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2004 at 2:00pm
Steve-
Have not had any timing issues with mine, only transmission, steering cable, starter, carburetor, starter solenoid, and raw water impeller. All of these were due to an improperly prepared 4 year layup of the boat and/or normal wear. I have all but the transmission trouble worked out. The trans should be cleared up shortly. My email is thevogt@mac.com. Good luck.

Gary
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2004 at 8:25pm
the motor is accually a ford 351 converted by pcm using their protech ignition system. It is like gm's dis system on the 3800 series engine in cars but less sofisticated. yes you can check timing and adjust it but be careful it could cause other problems like burning a piston or a valve if you over advance the timing. I would recomend replacing the plug wires with factory replacements because if you use the wrong type it could cause rfi interferance and cause the system to go into limp mode. skidim should have the wires resonablly priced or any pcm dealer should have them.
Steven Martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2004 at 1:00am
Ok: Well I will adjust the timing carefully and check with Skidim. Thanks for the tip.
What is limp mode. How do I know if it is in that mode or not?
steve-1993 Sport Mar View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve-1993 Sport Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2004 at 2:06pm
Ok,

I read the entire owners manual yesterday and went out and spent about 3 hours with the boat. First problem I had was bad fuel. That solved the the issue with the idle and the skipping at top end. It however did not stop the issue with the flooding and backfiring and stalling when I drop the hammer as if I was going to pull somone out of the water. The timing is simply not advancing like it should. Since this is an Electronic Ignition I see no reason why the timing should be adjusted. I have never touched it therefore it should not be needed to be played with. I have however come to the conclusion that my coil pack is shot. That is why the timing is not advancing like it should, causing a slight backfire and a hesitiation. I wish sometimes this thing just had a good old distributer and some points. Now, where can I get one of these coil packs?

Let me know what you guys think of my theory.

Steve
docmartini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docmartini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2004 at 8:53pm
CAN I DROP ONE IN FROM A GM 3800 Series? OR DO I HAVE TO GO PAY 5X as much for a marine?
STEVEN MARTINI
70 degress and sunny
nms1991 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nms1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 2:02am
a coil does not control the spark advance the module under the coil controls the spark advance. you may have to check your knock sensor because it could be causing the system to retard the timing. check your timing at 3600 rpm in the water in neutral, it should be 30 degrees for the 240 hp motor and 26 degrees for the pro boss motor. but also check your spark plugs to make sure they are not fouled out. also is the accelerator pump nozzel still a #25 because you could replace it with a #31 and cure the problem, also make sure the accelerator pump arm is adjusted properly.
steven martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 3:05am
NMS

I had the carb rebuilt by some repudable people. I will call them tomorrow to see what type of accelerator pump nozzel they used.

I did check the timing and it is fine.

The symptoms are this

1) Engine floods out and stalls if hammer is dropped.

2) Engine misses at top speed. Top speed varies every time that I can get it up that far. Somtimes it is 3600 and others it is pushing 5000, which is fast as heck. When the full throttle is in effect sometimes it will be 3600 and suddenly jump to 5,000 and then drop back down again.

3) The idle fluctuates, sometimes it is fine, other times it stalls when putting it into gear.

I will check the pump nozzel. The knock sensor is new. When I disconect it and try to run it it will absolutly not run well.

Thanks again
Steven C Martini View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steven C Martini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2004 at 8:03pm
Also, this only happens under a load. When tranny is disconnected and sitting it revs fine.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2004 at 12:06pm
Steve
I would focus on the ignition system, If it was an induction system problem it would be all the time not intermittent. Also explain your ignition system I'm not sure what type a 93 302 has. Do the spark plug wire attach to a round cap or a retangular box? There are two different types of electronic ignition sytems. One you have to set the time the other you can not. One is a distributor based system with a module, cap and rotor which you have to set base timing then the module controls the advance because it doesn't have mechanical weights, the other is a Direct Ignition System (DIS) which the base time and advance is controled by the computer and crank sensor.

I would venture to say you have a distributor based system since I believe the first DIS system for a V8 was done on GM's NorthStar engine in 94 or 95 and ford didn't have one to the best of my knowledge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic