Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1984 sn2001 cuts out at higher RPM? Help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 sn2001 cuts out at higher RPM? Help!
    Posted: August-27-2015 at 3:36pm
In a ski boat I'll take reliability over maximum performance any day. Excessive current and heat will eventually kill electronic components.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2015 at 2:25pm
Glad the instructions address resistance. So even though you know you're below 1 you're relatively safe until things start to heat up. What exactly is "hot"? Coil temperature is an odd way of monitoring the module, just wire it right and don't unnecessarily damage anything. These aftermarket coils can take the heat, the modules can't.

Know your coil resistance!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2015 at 2:19pm
Called Vince.

FYI, Vince was great, spent >5 minutes on the phone with me, reading off the Prestolite EI Installation instructions & helping me interpret them, all with no sale in sight.

Presotite recommended a coil with 1-2.5 ohms primary resistance & no ballast resistor in circuit.

According to Vince, most Prestolite EI module failures happen when guys put Accel or blaster coils with it

He said if my coil wasn't getting hot, it is OK as is (without resistor).

Just for kicks, I might use my IR thermometer & check coil both ways.

Hope this helps everyone!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SN2001_1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001_1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 10:18pm
UPDATE ::

The nautique was on the lake today and runs AMAZING - thanks to all your help everyone!

I pulled the gas tank out last night and emptied it, a lot of 'junk' in the bottom of it.
Bought new gas line at the marina today.
Got home and decided to remove the 90degree fitting at the top of the pickup tube (as seen in pic in earlier post). The fitting had a screen below it and it was PACKED with leaves and debris. Cleaned it out, new fuel lines installed and fresh gas in a clean tank....
ALL IS WELL! Boat runs GREAT.....I love these things!!!
Thanks again!
1984 Ski Nautique 2001 :: 351
Original factory ordered color combo from Silver Spray Sports: Fenton MI
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 11:46am
Chris, the Prestolite may be like the Pertronix Ignitor II in which it doesn't require a minimum resistance, but I suspect it does.

No harm in scanning and posting copywrited material.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 11:49pm
I'll cal Vince next week, as I can't stand this threadjacking cliffhanger!

Not going to post copyrighted material though.

I did look at the install data on the blaster 2 coil & it says to use resistor for 'points or amplifier circuit'.

I bet I got away with it for 400 hours because we never run more than a few hours at a time, & temps here are rarely above 90F.

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Great! Let me know when you get it.

Tim,
Fax or email, when you do get it in, make sure you post it. Also create a link in the FAQ thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 8:01pm
Great! Let me know when you get it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 6:24pm
He can probably fax it to you- they've sent me diagrams in the past. Or maybe they can email it now. You can try communicating with them telepathically, but it's probably quicker to call.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 6:20pm
Obama's birth certificate
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:59pm
No the Dead Sea scrolls have been found. I think they were stored in the Amber Room.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:43pm
I want to see the document, not talk to someone on the phone about it. Does he have the Prestolite instructions filed away with the Dead Sea Scrolls?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:29pm
Wouldn't surprise me either.

If you want the actual instructions, call SkiDIM! I never installed one, not sure if I ever saw the instructions with my own eyes... Though I did have a few conversations with Vince regarding general PCM wiring (not specific to EI), it's been 10 years since I created that diagram/picture.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Not having seen the exact instructions in a number of years, I would not be so quick to blame any perceived failure rate (be it normal or accelerated) on poor documentation.

Yea well whatever, show me the instructions. If they are indeed correct fine. Either way, wouldn't be surprised if people still screwed up the installation.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 5:12pm
Sounds like you've isolated where the problem is. Carb sounds fine. Good luck.
SN2001_1984 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN2001_1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 4:38pm

Back on topic, to the OP, 79 says check your float level. He thinks you're simply running out of fuel in the bowls.

Will I need a rebuild kit in order to check float levels?

Update:: I ran it with the fuel supply system bypassed last night in the driveway. I put a line directly from fuel pump into a 5 gallon gas can. Was able to run at 3000 rpm for a good 5 min or so with no issues. Also plummed in a fuel pressure gauge and was right a 5psi the whole time so it's not the pump!

I plan to remove all gas from tank tonight, replace fuel lines and take it back out. Maybe I should pick up a rebuild kit for the holley on the way home as well......
Really hope to use her in the lake this weekend!!

Thanks guys
1984 Ski Nautique 2001 :: 351
Original factory ordered color combo from Silver Spray Sports: Fenton MI
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 4:33pm
Not having seen the exact instructions in a number of years, I would not be so quick to blame any perceived failure rate (be it normal or accelerated) on poor documentation.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 4:31pm
Back on topic, to the OP, 79 says check your float level. He thinks you're simply running out of fuel in the bowls.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 4:29pm
And as a result we've heard of plenty of failures due to [a lack of] poor instructions and understanding.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 2:03pm
Call SkiDIM, they sold a million of those Prestolite/PCM conversions.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 1:41pm
I'd really like to see (and dispute) the original Prestolite instructions with the blanket statement of "bypass the resistor" with no mention of coil resistance.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 7:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

what is a back flow?

I'm curious too.

Anti siphon?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 11:48pm
HW, will do, all it takes is to swicth the terminal    Not that I don't believe you, but wanted to read it myself. Haven't yet found any documentation on the old Prestolite EI but did find this post from TRBenj on (gasp) the mastercraft forum:

In my experience, the Prestolite/PCM kit usually has you bypass the resistor, while Pertronix kits will vary. It is also important to match the coil to the module. Again, I recommend that anyone installing EI follow the instructions in their specific kit.

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 8:33pm

what is a back flow?

I'm curious too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 11:40am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The way 79 'splained it was that the EI circuit would limit coil current at the low RPM (which is why you need a resistor when using points).

Eh, I'm not going to take his word on all EI modules. These manufacturers seem to be pretty specific about what resistance they want.

SkiDIM currently sells the Pertronix Ignitor II, which in their product description does state to bypass the resistor. Pertronix Ignitor II instructions agree.
6. The Ignitor II ignition can be used in conjunction with most ignition coils rated at
0.45 ohms or greater.
7. All external resistors must be removed to achieve optimum performance from the
Ignitor II ignition system.
http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/91141.pdf

HOWEVER, some of you may have had the Ignitor I, which DOES state a minimum resistance.
Pertronix Iginitor (the first edition) installation instructions:
4. Four and six cylinder engines require a minimum of 3.0 ohms of primary resistance and eight cylinder engines require a minimum of 1.5 ohms of primary resistance. Do not remove resistors if the coil primary resistance is less than specified.
5. If your Ignition coil has the recommended primary resistance, remove or bypass all external resistors.
http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1141.pdf

Hot-Spark:
Coil Warning: DO NOT use a low-resistance or an HEI-style coil. 4- and 6-cylinder: Use a coil that has resistance in the primary circuit of at least 3.0 Ohms (Ω). 8-Cylinder: Must be used with a coil that has resistance in the primary circuit of at least 1.5 Ω. Using a coil with insufficient primary resistance can cause the ignition module to overheat and misfire until it cools down again, or fail prematurely, which will void the Hot-Spark ignition warranty.
http://www.hot-spark.com/Coil.htm

Mallory:
NOTE: The purpose of resistance wire between the ignition switch (12V) and the ignition coil positive terminal is to restrict current flow through the ignition coil. Failure to use resistance wire will eventually destroy the Ignition Module.
http://prestoliteperformance.com/media/instructions/mallory/Mallory_Instructions_unilite_distributor_37_38_45_47.pdf

All that said, know what kit you have and what they want. Seems as though Pertronix Ignitor II is the only one that is safe to bypass the resistor no matter what coil you are using. And now I think most of you burnt up your EI modules on your own. SNobsessed, if I were you I'd wire back in the resistor.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Skidim's website says you don't need it with a blaster II but the pertronix instructions say you need it with less than 1.5 in the coil.

instructions

Probably safer to just leave it.

+1

Got one on in the 88' and has been for at least 10 years. on the 2nd coil since I started using EI.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 1:00pm
what is a back flow?
Kc 85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kc 85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:56pm
i had that exact problem with my 79 SN. The back flow was clogged up with debree etc. I cleaned it out and was running awesome! Hope all goes well.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 8:55pm
hollywood is right.    
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 8:35pm
Yes, at 1st used the resistor. Performance is hard to nail down when you have more power than you actually use .

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic