NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

electrical problems SN 1987

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
chuck kemp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck kemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electrical problems SN 1987
    Posted: March-25-2015 at 10:44am
I have a 1987 SN that will pull the power down when running. Have replaced the battery and new alternator. Still pulls down. Swapped out alternator out my 1983 SN in case the new one was the problem and still has a slow pull down. Any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 10:47am
A better description of your problem would be helpful.

What makes you think it is an electrical problem?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck kemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 10:58am
Gauges and lights pull down when running. After running the boat awhile engine will not turn over. Battery will build up after a 10 min break and boat starts fine.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 11:04am
Pull down = voltage drop?

Voltage readings at the alt and batt both when running normally and when you're experiencing the issue would be a good start.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck kemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 11:09am
yes sir- starts in the 12-13 range goes to 10 and stays
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 11:13am
10v at the dash with the lights on is not atypical. The kind of voltage drop due to marginally sized wires to the dash, compounded now by age and corrosion on the wiring, connectors and breakers will exacerbate it.

Other than the voltage drop you're seeing, are you experiencing driving or starting problems? I can't tell from your description.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck kemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 11:24am
No starts every time and runs like a beast.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 11:45am
In that case you can learn to live with it until it gets worse and starts causing functional problems... Or you can adress it in a few ways:

- clean up dash wiring- clean/repair/replace dirty or corroded wires and connections. Consider adding dedicated ground, ign and batt buses and eliminating the daisy chained connections.

-replace circuit breakers as necessary (ign being the most obvious) as they can degrade internally and contribute to voltage loss

-run additional (larger?) 12v, gnd and ign wires from the engine to the dash to eliminate the effect of the undersized/degraded harness.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck kemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 4:51pm
Thanks for the help. I bought the boat because the owner was going to part out. Could not stand to see that happen. This is the only bug left.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by chuck kemp chuck kemp wrote:

After running the boat awhile engine will not turn over. Battery will build up after a 10 min break and boat starts fine.

So the engine doesn't die but when shut off won't immediately start back up?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck kemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 5:01pm
will drag after shut off.   boat will run for hours. I probably put 30 hours on the water last year and it never failed to start.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 5:11pm
I feel like I need a translator here

"Drag after shut off"?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 5:15pm
Mote importantly where did you get this magical battery charger than builds up without the engine running?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 5:23pm
I'm thinking maybe, the boat is charging fine, but the heat buildup of the running engine is increasing the resistance, therefore showing diminished numbers on the Voltmeter after warmup.
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I'm thinking maybe, the boat is charging fine, but the heat buildup of the running engine is increasing the resistance, therefore showing diminished numbers on the Voltmeter after warmup.

+1 I think he means that it cranks slow.
Js
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 7:37pm
Check the timing. It may cause the slow crank. As Tim mentioned, get the VOM out and check voltages and resistance's BEFORE buying parts!

BTW, hopefully you didn't purchase a deep cycle battery!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2015 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I feel like I need a translator here

"Drag after shut off"?

I just thought it was just more of that weird "Yank" terminology
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic