NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

well fudge....water in tranny

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: well fudge....water in tranny
    Posted: March-12-2015 at 10:23pm
Tonight's spring get ready for summer project was change tranny fluid. Glad I did, because I don't do that every year. Well here is my raspberry shake. (looked fine on dipstick)

Even though we don't get real cold down here, we obviously get cold enough. I know this from a neighbor who toasted his engine a few winters ago. So I am very careful to drain after any use before or during the winter. That always includes removing both hoses from either end of the tranny cooler and blowing the water out. (I just learned tonight the cooler has two drain plugs....now I know) Anyway, I took the cooler off (yeah, that was fun, so hopefully not prematurely) I blew into the water intake and plugged the outlet. No air made its way into the tranny fluid lines.   And I did every combination looking for possible communication and found none. So my question is, is there some way water could have gotten into the tranny without the cooler being compromised? (I ran the boat in the driveway for about 5-10 minutes last weekend, that's when it would have happened) Or is it a given and the thing is shot, even though there appears to be no air route of communication. Do I just put out my APB for a cooler now, or do I put it all back together to see if my new fluid turns into a raspberry shake? (hence my comment about premature removal.) Let me know, so I can go over to parts wanted and beg for a used cooler ASAP.

Thanks.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 10:39pm
If you didn't notice it on the dipstick and you don't change the fluid often, how do you know it happened last weekend on the hose and not over a long period of time?

It takes very little water to turn fluid to a milkshake, your fluid still looks pretty dark- there wasn't much water in there at all. Vd's are pretty tolerant of water, I wouldn't worry too much about running it like that for a short time to see of your cooler is actually leaky. The only other way for water to get in is from a flooded bilge- through the dipstick or case breather.

FYI, you should NEVER use the drain plugs on the cooler itself, those fittings are just soldered on and break real easy. Just pull the lower (water) hose.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 11:01pm
If your cooler does turn out to be bad I don't think it's worth your time to put a used one on----
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 11:34pm
Thanks Tim. I put it back together and filled it. I'm sure there was still some pink in the bottom, so we will see what it looks like after running a little while. Thanks for the tip on the drains, I was definitely going to go that route next winter. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, sounds hard to get off) I don't have a "lower hose: because my cooler is horizontal.

Yeah, Gary, I see that now. I was pricing them and they are less than I expected, but for some reason the GM one is more than the ford one?...of course.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 11:41pm
Larry,
Sorry to hear about the potential problem. Tim and Gary have great advice. I'd like to know more about how you tested the trans cooler. Pressures? Did you pressurize both the water and trans sides? I suggest putting the cooler in a bucket of water during the testing so you can look for bubbles. Is your dipstick the threaded type and by chance is the breather on the trans plugged? If so, a vacuum can be created when the trans cools drawing water into the trans from the cooler. Testing for this requires pressurizing the water side of the cooler and looking for the bubbling on the trans side.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2015 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

but for some reason the GM one is more than the ford one?...of course.

Larry,
Where are you looking?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 12:22am
Ha, nothing engine manufacturer specific about a trans cooler! Trans hose fittings are likely going to be standard, only length and water hose diameter matter.

If you think the cooler is perfectly level, try parking the boat on a slope or raising or lowering the tongue. Most coolers aren't mounted all that solidly, just gotta get it tilted for a few seconds to drain.
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:00am
sorry Larry, I viewed your diary post yesterday
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:07am
Does anyone have a good picture of an oil cooler mounting on a pcm in the late 70's early 80's ?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 10:16am
Pete, good suggestion on checking under water, but its all put back together now. If I take out again, I'll try that. Pressures? I just blew into it. Up and downstream on both circuits. Where'd I look? Just White Lake Marine, so far.

Adam, thanks for the heads up. I was totally flummoxed as to what happened, at least now I know there was a good reason.

Yea, Tim, I figured not particularly brand specific.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 10:33am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pete, good suggestion on checking under water, but its all put back together now. If I take out again, I'll try that. Pressures? I just blew into it. Up and downstream on both circuits. Where'd I look? Just White Lake Marine, so far.

Adam, thanks for the heads up. I was totally flummoxed as to what happened, at least now I know there was a good reason.

Yea, Tim, I figured not particularly brand specific.

It really isn't much water as Tim said. I would have tested it about as well as you did and then put it back together with fresh fluid a clean breather and hope for the best. Its possible you have a small leak that would only manifest itself when you had a pressurized hose hooked up, possibly even only after you turned on the hose and before you started the boat. I can bring you down a used cooler or two to white lake next month to try if you still seem to be picking up a drop or two somewhere.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 11:22am
Gary,

Here's a shot of my 1980SN from when I found it:

Noel
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:15pm
Larry, there could be the possibility that the water in the tranny is just from Condensation going on inside it. You do live in the south now and 50 degree temp swings in a 24 hour can occur resulting in condensation on ANYTHING cold soaked.

When we hit mid 60's from lows in the upper 20's I had condensation on everything metal and very slippery garage floor from the drastic temp swing. I walked across the floor in my bare feet and it was ice cold and sopping wet. Could have happened in the tranny as well. This is the very reason we top off the fuel tank in the winter months. To reduse the amount of water in the tank come spring.....We don't do that with the transmission. I'd bet that's where your water came from if you don't find any leaks in the cooler itself.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:25pm
Tim, could very well be, and as TimB pointed out, since its been two years since a change and it looked clear and fine on the dipstick, no telling how long its been that way. Engine was very damp when I opened it up for the first time a couple weeks ago. We'll see. I dumped new fluid in, which will likely be a little bit contaminated by old dregs, but I'll run it on the hose an bit tomorrow, or maybe, based on what Joe said, out of a bucket, and see what happens. Between blowing the water out last winter and last night's "blow test" I am guessing I am probably OK
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:30pm
Larry, be aware that the pump and other internals hold a decent amount of fluid, so you'll still see traces of milkshake after another change or 2 even if all is well. It should be incrementally better with each change.

Tim, the case condensation crossed my mind, but I've never seen it happen. Have you heard of such a phenomenon actually occurring?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:37pm
Tim, I personally haven't but after reading this thread and pondering it a bit it made me think of other possibilities. The garage floor was wet, the engine in the boat was sweating, along with the toolbox and beer fridge in the garage. I think it's worth a mention and a thought especially if Larry Boy flushes it out and it doesn't happen again.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:49pm
What keeps coming back to me is that during one or both of the last two summers, I got caught off guard once or twice with severe rains and an uncovered boat resulting in water to the top of the stringers. (yes, it took a real man to confess this) I can't picture where the breather is on my tranny so I don't know if it would have been submerged or not. I don't like to think about that, tho, because it makes me wonder if I actually ran the boat hard with that crap in there. Have to check relative elevations tonight, not that it matters at this point, I guess.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 1:57pm
I would bet on that being the cause Larry... If it didn't get over the breather height (pretty much the highest point on the trans), top of stringers are higher than the dipstick for sure.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2015 at 3:28pm
When I forgot my drainplug a few months back, I had water breach the engine compartment and start spilling out from the dog house. when I changed my trans fluid afterwards, there was no signs of water.

Should I be concerned about my breather?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2015 at 11:34am
Was sitting at the desk the other day and my wife came in and said she whipped my up a little treat. Amused me that it had a familiar look to it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic