Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 Issues after shop service.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
97MasterEdition View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97MasterEdition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 Issues after shop service.
    Posted: February-25-2015 at 1:20pm
1997 SN 196 GT40

Long standing symptom/problem prier to and reason for servicing engine last week:

Running warm up to 190 at idle after a few slalom passes. But in the pass would go down to 170s. Then climbing back to 190-5 after dropping skier and lining up for another pass. Back down during pass. Been like that for a while. Did all the usual; new thermostat and gasket, checked all hoses, checked trans cooler, checked all ports in thermostat housing, checked intake under hull and so on. All good. Conclusion; flow problem due to old manifolds (1100hrs). Plus old hull huger muffler was going bad..developed a crack.

Other than temp issues and some needed maintenance, the boat ran smooth as butter. Strong, responsive and sounded normal.

Sent to shop week ago and the following was done. The shop replaced manifolds and risers, plus some items added to the job for general maintenance. Specifics;

1.     New Exhaust manifolds, risers, gaskets and ss fasteners (old ones were in fact bad.. I saw the inside of one of them)
2.     New Hull hugger muffler
3.     New exhaust hoses
4.     Replaced fuel filter-FCC filter
5.     Installed a new inline fuel filter. It did not have one before.
6.     New thermostat/gasket
7.     Oil change and filter
8.     Transmission fluid changed
9.     New cap and rotor
10.     Cleaned flame arrester
11.     Tank drained and 5 gal of fresh mid grade added. Shop chose to do this but gas in tank was not more then 2 weeks old and had full can of Seafoam added
12.     Clean and grease rudder and rudder port
13.     Shaft packing
14.     Bilge cleaned

Received boat back. Started and idled normal. Backed off of trailer. Short 100yrd run to dock done at idle speed; felt and sounded normal. Parked boat. Few hours later did a test ride. Seemed ok at first. Seemed to run as normal throughout power range and idle. But within a few minutes, idle started stuttering. The range between 1000-2000 as throttle was pushed up, it stuttered and struggled a great deal. Continue pushing throttle and at 2500rpms, it gave a mostly normal response on up to WOT. Some slight stutters detected but barely noticeable compared to the 1000-2000 range. Back down to 1200 still in gear, the boat started surging between 1500 and 2000. Up and down, up and down. Continued this until the throttle was repositioned. Idle still stuttering. Left boat sit for a couple hours, then second test ride. Seemed to run slightly better this time out but was repeating all of the same above symptoms after running for a bit.

Day 2, added 10 more gal of mid grade gas and test ride results were exactly same. Cold it ran well until reaching normal temp. Then same poor results.

At PCM’s suggestion, the following has been attempted or found to be normal when checked. After some but not all, a test ride was done with the exact same symptoms as above..no better, no worse.

1.     Removed new in line fuel filter, as it was not part of the system before. (test ride..no change)
2.     Both HP and LP pumps prime as normal with key turn. Aprox 3 seconds
3.     LP pump tested with normal flow/volume (20oz in 10 sec) and pressure. All connections appeared normal and were reseated. (test ride..no change)
4.     Fuel pressure gauge shows 35psi at idle and 41psi at WOT. No change during lake testing for both points. Also, fuel pressure held with key off @35psi.
5.     FCC opened and full of fuel to the top. No water. All connections appeared normal, reassembled and psi did show again as normal with gauge at idle and WOT. (test ride..no change)
6.     At idle removed vacuum hose from Fuel Pressure Reg on rail. PSI jumps to 41psi 830rpm when vacuum hose removed. Reattached hose and normal operations of psi at idle-35psi 730rpm and 41psi at WOT. (test ride..no change)

All symptoms have stayed exactly the same for every test ride. Over several days of lake testing it seems that the issue arises when boat is up to temperature (160). Seems there are no issue when runing from a cold start and running up through the power band. 100% normal operation. Smooth as butter. Once boat is at temp, the issues at idle (stuttering) and between 1000 and 2000rms (struggling, running rough, losing power) are present. At 2500rpms it catches and runs close to if not normal through WOT.

Thinking sensor problem… possibly temp sensor as it only runs poorly at temp. Or throttle position sensor as it runs the worst between 1000-2000rpms. But do not know how to test any of these. Not sure what other sensor it could be but the symptoms/problems are very very consistent. Cannot think of anything else it could be.

The boat ran fine before entering the shop and poorly after. The shop did not lake test boat before repairs and I’m confident they did not hose test it. Problem described to them was just running warm and a few maintenance items needed so perhaps no need to hose or lake test. I would have had them address poor running if it was running poorly prior. Especially this bad. Temp issue was solved. They contend that it must have been running poorly before their work. It could be a complete coincidence and a separate isolated incident. Or maybe its something/parameter that they changed that is causing the computer to not properly calculate fuel needs. But just guessing. Perhaps something was bumped. Truly appreciate any help.
1997 Masters Green 196 GT40
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 1:41pm
The boat is possibly running lean all the time but that is being masked by the extra fuel it gets before it gets up to temp. I would suspect an air leak based on the healthy fuel tests. Do a compression test on all cylinders - could be a valve issue from leaky manifolds if they were action rough enough shape to require replacement. Either way it's the shops fault til they prove it isnt.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 3:29pm
I had a similar stuttering issue and was related to cross talk between the TFI-IV module and the distributor wires. It wasn't heat related so not sure but it was so intermittent that it was hard to diagnose. I bought an intermittent ignition analyzer and every time I plugged that thing in the boat ran great. Unplug it and the boat stuttered. I thought it was the connector to the TFI-IV module not properly connecting to the module. The analyzer has much heavier duty connectors and pins. It turned out that when I plugged in the analyzer I was pulling the wires away from the distributor and that is why it ran fine on the analyzer. After replacing the connector 2 times(one from Napa(it was china junk) and one from Ford OEM(thicker connectors)) I finally realized what was going on. This drove me nuts and it took a bit to figure out. The solution was to either put the bonnet back on the distributor to prevent cross talk and/or move the wires farther away from the distributor. I did both and put some of that liquid electrical tape on the wires to the TFI-IV to help prevent any cross talk. Something to look at and just suggestions to help. Maybe they shifted the wires around just enough to cause cross talk when replacing the distributor cap. Also take off the distributor cap, check the rotor and cap make sure everything is good, wiggle the PIP sensor and make sure it isn't loose. Look for pieces of loose metal on the PIP and blow them off with an air compressor if you see anything. Maybe some metal flakes fell off the old distributor and rotor when they replaced them. The PIP is magnetic so the flakes would hang on to it.

Hope any of this helps.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:45pm
Have you checked the short fuel hose inside the FCC?
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 6:55pm
Brian,
Welcome to CCfan. Sorry to hear about your problems. They can frustrating especially for a mechanic. I'm sure we can give you some ideas.

Was it a CC dealer that worked on the boat? What was this in line fuel filter they installed and then removed?

How about some pictures as well as a diary entry?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97MasterEdition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:23pm
The short fuel hose was checked..it was fine along with the connections. The whole FCC system looked good. I have a gear head helping me. I'll leave the shop out of this as I stated this could be a completely isolated incident and the work they preformed was fine. But I felt all details and time line should be laid out incase something clicked with someone or it triggered a thought. I'll work on the diary and pics when I get a chance. Truly appreciate the help. I'm sure it will get sorted out and probably something simple..I hope. But it is a consistent bugger. I'm almost glad it's not intermittent.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:33pm
With a distributor cap change, did you verify the plug wires are right?
Tim D
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:43pm
Would not run good cold then. Could possibly be a bad ignition wire that opens as it warms up---
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 8:55pm
Has the dealer tried a code reader to see if there is any stored codes ?
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97MasterEdition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 10:21pm
as to the code reader, to my knowledge the shop did not test it with a code reader. In my opinion they had no reason to as it was not suggested that it ran poorly as described. Even with somewhat warm running tempts it ran good for an older boat with lots of hours. That problem is completely resolved and it's nice to see it hold good temps. That was the reason it went to the shop in the first place so they did well. All that they worked on was done well as far as I can tell. But as stated before, the more details and timelines I can provide, I would assume helps you guys shuffle through some possibilities. Thanks again.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2015 at 11:53pm
The new distributor cap could be bad maybe? It wouldn't be the first time.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:05am
It may be a different problem altogether and be pure coincidence but if my car went in for repair and was returned with a different problem I would be expecting them to rectify it. Or an explanation of what is causing the problem and how it is unrelated to original repair.

The code reader if it provides a stored code such as a sensor error will provide you with a starting point to trouble shoot the problem. It may not have any stored codes but if it does identify a sensor out of range it will make repairing simple.

It could be a leaning out problem once the warmup enrichment fuel is removed as JoeinNY mentioned. Possible ACT or ECT sensor problem. There is information in GT40 manual (in the reference section) to measure the resistance and voltage output from these sensors at different temperatures.

But do not rule out the simple things first like Brian and Gary have mentioned cap leads etc.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:19am
If it was running rough from too lean fuel mixture, wouldn't the spark plugs show that?
Tim D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97MasterEdition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:23am
Thank you, I will look into a code reader. I do not believe the GT40 stores information as you say. I do believe the appropriate tester will run the motor through some diagnostics and gives a 2 digit code to cross reference. And as you say, may easily point to a faulty sensor. If one is not to terribly expensive, I may buy on for this and future use. Anyone know what type and more importantly where they can purchased?

Interesting on the distributer cap. I've purchased bad parts for automotive use. It happens.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:35am
Here is the one Mark (lewy2001) has recommended in the past,he was finding them on amazon so look there too. I think a extension cable was handy too if I remember right.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:42am
Originally posted by 97MasterEdition 97MasterEdition wrote:

All that they worked on was done well as far as I can tell.

But, I'm still confused with the in line fuel filter they installed and then removed per PCM's recommendation. Again, what filter was it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:51am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by 97MasterEdition 97MasterEdition wrote:

All that they worked on was done well as far as I can tell.

But, I'm still confused with the in line fuel filter they installed and then removed per PCM's recommendation. Again, what filter was it?

Pete, it was probably something like this. These are sometimes installed halfway along the line between the fuel tank and the motor. I get to mine by removing the floor panel behind the motor box. For me, it's the only filter I have, but they are sometimes installed in tandem with the Fuel Control Cell filter... and sometimes not from what I've read. It's actually odd for a Carb'd boat to have them, but it's how mine came.

If it wasn't there before, it would probably just add extra flow resistance. And of course, it's only meant to mount one way (there's an arrow for the direction of flow). But physically, it can be installed in either direction and hence gives an opportunity for human error. Maybe the shop was thinking they were adding extra protection by adding it in there:
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:51am
My guess Pete it would be something like this. My 95 first year EFI without FCC has one very similar mounted within a foot of the fuel pump
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:52am
Great minds think alike
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 12:53am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97MasterEdition Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2015 at 1:07am
That is what was installed and where it was installed (under floor board). I removed it a a check to see if that could be the cause. It was not. No difference in the way the motor acted without it in place. Will probably put it back. And I have seen photos of the same SN but a yr or two newer with that exact one already installed so it was something I believe CC started doing as standard equipment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic