NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Invertaflow muffler question

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 9:16am
Taking the stand pipe out would just turn the muffler into a straight Y pipe.

Lower flow restriction & louder exhaust sound would be the result.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

My understanding of how this works is this:

That floating pipe actually acts like an elevated spillway in that the exhaust doesn't start dumping water until the height of the water in the muffler reaches the top of the loose pipe. Then the water will then flow out the exhaust.

I think that is exactly how it works.

Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I'm assuming this also helps to create a certain amount of back pressure? Would not having this spillway effect anything in regards to the way the motor runs or performs? Wonder if it lead to any of the leaks due to an improper water level in the exhaust?

Probably.

Not sure.

I think the leaks occur as the thing falls apart. It is mostly full of water all the time. Maybe freezing in the winter time leads to cracks, leaks and the small pipe coming unglued? Unless you run antifreeze through until it comes out the exhaust, the water left in would freeze.
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

That seems right to me...
89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 8:42pm
Freezing was never an issue as this boat was in central Florida it's entire life.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2015 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

That seems right to me...

I don't think it'll be louder. The water level in the tank is what's doing the muffling.
I seem to remember somebody else here that completely removed all the baffles when they blew out the invertaflow and repaired it. There wasn't any noticeable difference in the sound.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 1:19pm
I got the spillway pipe glued back in and I've used about 2-3 layers of 6oz mat to seal up the sides. Is this enough glass or do I need to put down more. Seems pretty solid to me, but I have no idea how much pressure is in the muffler while the motor is running.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 2:01pm
JP,
I'd be surprised if the exhaust system sees more than 2 to 3 PSI. I thinks your repair is fine. The system is pretty open and doesn't back up much head of water. It takes 27" of water column to create 1 PSI.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 2:44pm
Thanks Pete. I guess I'll find out soon enough. just need to grind down some rough spots and paint her up.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

I think the leaks occur as the thing falls apart. It is mostly full of water all the time. Maybe freezing in the winter time leads to cracks, leaks and the small pipe coming unglued? Unless you run antifreeze through until it comes out the exhaust, the water left in would freeze.

Well that's not good,I have been using the pour method,can anyone verify that there is any water left in the muffler? You would think that there would be some sort of drain or reference to this in the owners manual. Maybe a call to the muffler manufactor is in order?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 5:10pm
I just emailed Centex about the Invertaflo holding water,will let everyone know what they say.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 7:18pm
If freeze expansion was a problem, wouldn't all of us northerners with this muffler have failures by now?   Mine seems to be fine (knock on wood).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 7:21pm
I cant imagine it doesnt hold a bit of water but it would have plenty of room to expand and gives a bit more than cast. When is the last time you saw water in an open plastic bucket cause a problem when it froze?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

I cant imagine it doesnt hold a bit of water but it would have plenty of room to expand and gives a bit more than cast. When is the last time you saw water in an open plastic bucket cause a problem when it froze?

I just wonder if the freeze/thaw expansion cycle has anything to do with the cracks, leaks, and particularly the inner pipe working loose. I think there is plenty of room above the waterline for expansion, but I bet the water in the muffler freezes solid.
89 SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Good analogy Joe but the only way I can test right now is to put some water in an ice cube tray
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 9:45pm
Our boat has been a Florida boat it's entire life. freezing had nothing to do with our leaks.

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2015 at 9:49pm
I would think if it didn't hold water, then when you crank it on the trailer for a slight second it'd be louder until it filled up as the water does a good part of the muffling??
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I would think if it didn't hold water, then when you crank it on the trailer for a slight second it'd be louder until it filled up as the water does a good part of the muffling??

Mine is definitely louder when it first starts even at the dock.
Here is the responce I recieved this morning---

Good morning Gary,

You are correct, by design, we have always included a drain hole in the outlet pipe of the muffler in order to drain water when the engine shuts down. However, a very small amount of water will remain inside of the muffler. This small amount of water will not pose a problem if it were to freeze. If the muffler was full of water, then you would need to worry about getting antifreeze into the muffler. We also include drain screws in the mufflers to drain water as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Regards,
Bert Browning

Centek Industries, Inc.

Manager, Product Design & Engineering

Mechanical Engineer

Phone: 1-229-228-7653

Mobile: 1-229-224-5653

Fax: 1-229-228-1270

Email: browning@centekindustries.com

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Mine is definitely louder when it first starts even at the dock.
Here is the responce I recieved this morning---

Good morning Gary,

You are correct, by design, we have always included a drain hole in the outlet pipe of the muffler in order to drain water when the engine shuts down. However, a very small amount of water will remain inside of the muffler. This small amount of water will not pose a problem if it were to freeze. If the muffler was full of water, then you would need to worry about getting antifreeze into the muffler. We also include drain screws in the mufflers to drain water as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Regards,
Bert Browning

Centek Industries, Inc.

Manager, Product Design & Engineering

Mechanical Engineer

Phone: 1-229-228-7653

Mobile: 1-229-224-5653

Fax: 1-229-228-1270

Email: browning@centekindustries.com

I don't have a drain hole on the outside and did not see evidence of one on the inside pipe when it was apart (I probably just missed it; now it is surely glassed over)
89 SN
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 5:37pm
I have a small screw on the starboard side of the the muffler body about an inch up from the bottom edge. It's currently glassed over. Haven't decided if I'm going to drill it out again.

I did not see any other drains on the muffler.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 5:56pm
Bert said there was a drain hole that would allow the water to drain out after shutdown. He didn't say it was an external drain... I would assume it to be internal since that would allow draining to happen naturally after every shutdown.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2015 at 6:39pm
I do recall seeing a small hole near the bottom of the spillway insert under the hat near the base of the muffler housing. Maybe this is what he was referring. I could see how this would allow water to exit the exhaust naturally, albeit slowly, at levels below the top of the spillway pipe.

I went back a page and noticed the video I posted has the hole I'm referring to right there.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic