Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Line Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Line Question
    Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:39pm
Re-building a PCM-351W engine for a Fish Nautique. Have made upgrades with GT-40 Heads and a Performer Intake. Question for those who have made these changes - what fuel line did you use from the mechanical fuel pump to the carburetor inlet to accommodate the overall change in intake height? Really only interested in USCG approved options. Thanks in advance!
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:41pm
The stock fuel line should fit the performer intake with just a slight bend.
Brian
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:43pm
Try to make the hard line work. If not, I have a soft USCGA option for you.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 1:48pm
Some have purchased pre-flared brake line (3/8" I think) from Napa and used a tube bender to make their own hard lines.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 2:15pm
When I get back to Florida that's second on my list, it's 3/8 brake line you need and a 1/4 x 3/8 90 for the pump part # 6432T128 at Mc Master Care. A tube bender and flare tool is needed also. Or go with what Zach has if you don't have all the tools
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:01pm
Gary, the line is 3/8" but the end fitting is 5/8" Fyi.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:08pm
That fitting may take a 5/8" wrench Zach, but I suspect that's not it's nominal size. More likely to be 3/8" just like the line. Kind of a moot point, as the line will come with both fittings you need.

Fuel pumps do not all use the same npt threads. My older ones are smaller (maybe 1/4" like yours Gary) but the newer ones are larger. Either way, he won't need a 90 adapter if he already has an original hard fuel line plumbed.

I believe many auto parts stores will rent you the double flare tool for free. Possibly the bender as well, though they're not expensive to buy. Double flare tool is a little pricey though.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:12pm
Timmy, right off the soft fuel line packaging. Think about it, that fitting has to be larger than a 3/8" line to go around a 3/8" line.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:13pm
To clarify, the inverted flare nut for 3/8" OD tubing is threaded with 5/8"-18 threads. Zach is correct but just didn't explain it very well!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:15pm
Allllways carry a 5/8" wrench on trips and an adjustable for the big fitting haha.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:19pm
Well I'll be darned. I don't know my inverted flare fittings by heart (obviously)... I thought about the only thing you could count on in any thread size convention is that the nominal size rarely matches the dimensional size, and it never matches the wrench size. Guess there's an exception!

Still extraneous info he doesn't need ;)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:24pm
Sureee until his fittings don't fit ;).

Speaking of which, if I go QF come spring I am going to work on a fitting from Earls performance here in town to turn the output down at a 45 to a 5/8" inverted flair so I can try to make a hard line fit.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 3:38pm
3/8 brake line will come with the proper fittings for a semi-modern Holley marine carb, hence the recommendation to use that. Smaller brake lines would be sufficient (conquerer used something smaller like 7/16" on their engines) but the fitting size wouldn't line up.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Allllways carry a 5/8" wrench on trips and an adjustable for the big fitting haha.

Thats great,if you have one thats one less thing I need to carry
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

3/8 brake line will come with the proper fittings for a semi-modern Holley marine carb, hence the recommendation to use that. Smaller brake lines would be sufficient (conquerer used something smaller like 7/16" on their engines) but the fitting size wouldn't line up.

I just carried the extra Holley inlet I have to the store to match up and then looked at one of my pumps,didn't know there was more than one pump size,I hope the one down south is the same! It would be so much easier if we could use AN hose and fittings like I did here,but I have heard from the neighbors that the coast guard does check so I don't want to gamble.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Thats great,if you have one thats one less thing I need to carry

Need to have room in toolbox for misc items Gary ??
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 9:20pm
Naw Mark now that we have a newer boat Chris doesn't mind being seen with me so I use his
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 9:52pm
You guys dont have a flare tool? Damn... I use mine at least once a decade. Indispensable.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2015 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

You guys dont have a flare tool? Damn... I use mine at least once a decade. Indispensable.

John,
Keep in mind the fuel lines are double flared.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic