NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

looks like my riser gaskets are leaking

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 8:45pm
JP, you heat the exterior first in hopes that that metal will expand first before the heat soaks into the bolt and allow you to break it free.

Pete, I ship ups too haha. Hey, check your PM, got a buddy with an Atom skier question.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Hey, check your PM, got a buddy with an Atom skier question.

The question has been answered. I have also answered it several times here on site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:44pm
JP - A propane torch isn't hot enough.   I agree heat is the best way to get the shanks out. You might want to pull the manifold off & take it to a muffler shop that has a oxy/fuel torch. They do this all the time.

The way it was taught to me is that the heat expands the threads so much it breaks the rust bond.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 10:58pm
Great idea Chris then he can pull the heads to get the broken manifold to head bolts too . I look at my 95's bolts and would like to change them but I don't need a big project this year
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2015 at 11:43pm
I've drilled my fair share of 351 hex bolt heads off from them being rusted so much they are round instead of hex ha.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 12:11am
I pulled the manifolds off my '87 (Motors an '88) this fall, as far as I know they were original with about 600 hours, the manifolds rusted through and hydrolocked the motor. Three days in a row of applying home made 50/50 acetone/trans fluid and the manifold bolts spun out easy with a allen socket and a standard socket wrench. No heat, no impact. Same for the riser bolts. All of the bolts could have been re-used. You just never know until you try. I seem to have lucked out on everything else too. We put several hours on with the new manifolds and no apparent ill effects from the hydrolock.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 12:56am
Yes you never know. Removed the port manifold from my 74 351 to repair a crack and the bolts came out with no trouble. No idea if they had ever been removed in the past 40 years, but if they had been there was no evidence of it.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 8:07am
I guess I could try to remove the manifold bolts, but if one of those breaks, I'm pretty screwed. I don't have any other heat source aside from the propane torch. I guess I could always get some MAP gas. Would that be hot enough?

Boat has over 1750 hours on her, snapping bolts is something I expect although the header bolts don't seem too bad, but definitely rusted.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 8:12am
JP,
The MAP is hotter but with a small torch you won't get enough of the needed heat. If you do try the MAP, make sure the torch is rated for it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 9:49am
This would do it
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 10:30am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

This would do it

So another $60 just to "maybe" remove the bolts? I think it may be easier to remove the manifold and take it to a shop for removal.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 10:31am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

This would do it

Chris,
I bought one of them for my daughter for glass art. She never used it so I ended up with it. I used it one day for bending some 3/16" x 1 & 1/2" stainless and trust me, it is hotter but just like a single gas torch, it won't provide enough heat. Plus, I went through 3 tanks of oxygen to bend 4 pieces of the stainless 45 degrees. Oxygen goes real quick with any oxy acetylene rig.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 11:25am
Step 3: Drink a beer.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 2:08pm
I would make step 3a: acetone/atf soaking for a few days and then a bit of MAP gas heat with the channel lock or vise grip.
If that doesn't work and a real torch is necessary tow the boat there instead of trying to remove the manifolds from the heads.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 2:19pm
Are we still stuck on the riser bolts? Seriously a lot of over thinking here, 50% of the time those bolts will snap but soak them, heat(map would be better but I've used propane), a rap on top with a steel hammer and vise grips they have always come out for me.    Your gonna kick yourself when they just turn right out. The suspense is killing me.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Are we still stuck on the riser bolts? Seriously a lot of over thinking here, 50% of the time those bolts will snap but soak them, heat(map would be better but I've used propane), a rap on top with a steel hammer and vise grips they have always come out for me.    Your gonna kick yourself when they just turn right out. The suspense is killing me.

Gonna soak them once a day until Friday, Then I'll try my bolt extractor/vice grips and some elbow grease. If they don't pop out, then I guess I'll have to try something else.

I tried a manual impact driver before I broke them and that beating didn't loosen a damn thing. Lol.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2015 at 3:12pm
Did someone say beer?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 2:36pm
I have the best wife.

She's been hearing me bitch about this issue for the past week or so. Each day I've been coming home from work, uncovering the boat, and applying PB Blaster to the broken bolts sticking out of the manifold.

We spoke on the phone yesterday as I was leaving the gym. She asked what I was going to do when I got home. I explained, the same thing I've been doing the past week, lubing up those bolts hoping they come out easily Friday. She giggles and say OK, see you in a few.

I pull in the driveway to see the cover is already off and the doghouse is up. I was like WTH?? Up pops my wife and she's wearing gloves and has a hammer in one hand and the PB Blaster in the other.

She had removed the cover that morning and had been wiring brushing around the broken bolts and soaking them in oil, and beating them with a hammer 3 times that day.

She said she felt like helping out. She even went so far as to Google ways to remove broken bolts.

Needless to say the help was greatly appreciated. I must say I have an amazing wife.

Tomorrow is the day I make another attempt to remove those bolts. Fingers crossed and I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 2:49pm
Pics or it didn't happen!!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Lol. I explained that to wifey and she laughed at me and said tough S#!T. She wasn't all done up, so no pics. Certainly wasn't going to piss off my helper.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 2:56pm

I certanly agree.

JP,
I see you're still stuck on that over rated Madison av. advertised PB blaster! Your first post you said you were going to use the 50/50 mix.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 2:57pm
Thank God for awesome wives.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 3:28pm
If we could all be so lucky haha!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

JP,
I see you're still stuck on that over rated Madison av. advertised PB blaster! Your first post you said you were going to use the 50/50 mix.

Yeah, I've heard good things about it and figured I'd give it a whirl. I'm sure the 50/50 mix is better, but at this point it is what it is.

It seemed to work well at loosening up the other 5 bolts. IF for some reason I wind up having to remove the entire manifold, I'll be sure to try the 50/50 mix out on the manifold bolts.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 3:37pm
Geez Pete, PB is not bad stuff, IIRC it is typically rated at the top of most of the over the counter type penetrant.

I would say though at this point personally would probably be trying some fitty/fitty on that bitty.

Good Luck JP, and when it works give wifey all the credit!!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 3:53pm

Geez Pete, PB is not bad stuff, IIRC it is typically rated at the top of most of the over the counter type penetrant.

Chris,
Engineers typically go by the facts and don't pick specs out of the middle!

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here's the list of torque requirements copied from the other thread:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

I don't even consider WD40 to be a penetrating oil so that puts PB at the bottom for me. Kroil is a on line order only so when I was taking my 1927 Flexifour apart and trying to break the rusted pistons loose, I did pick up a can of PB. A week went by with no luck and then the Kroil came in. The next day after using some of the Kroil, all four pistons were loose. I ended up using the PB as a honing lubricant!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 4:05pm
I do have Kroil at the house. I will try some of that later today and first thing tomorrow morning.

phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2015 at 5:18pm
I keep liquid wrench around since I saw those results because it's easy to buy at a parts store.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2015 at 7:37pm
Success!....... but not without some collateral damage.

I used my new drill and craftsman bolt extractor and they came right out.

Had to cut the hoses from the risers to the muffler. We tried heat and lube with no luck. Local dealer has new ones for $42.

Risers and manifold flanges look great. Still have to chase threads and get replacement bolts.

Also looks like there are several leaks in my muffler. The sides have movement all the way around the edge of the flat face, and theres another crack on the down tube. Oh yeah, when I turn the muffler I hear something flopping around. Is this a baffle of some sort?

Heading up to dealer for new hoses and gaskets tomorrow. May rip the carpet out as well depending on how much I get done.

Here are some pics:

Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2015 at 7:43pm
Man, this rig sounds like a headache. Time to wash your hands and upgrade. I'll take it off your hands.

And time for a Y pipe.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic