NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Competition Barefoot Boats, Non CC

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Competition Barefoot Boats, Non CC
    Posted: March-17-2013 at 8:49pm

U.S. Competition Barefooting has seen many boat changes through the years, inboards, outboards, i/o's from a few different mfrs. Since the time the BFN was at the top of the heap(80's), We saw Centurion, Flightcraft and Malibu and Sanger outboards. Then it swung back to inboards and Malibu and Sanger and Gekko. Currently Sanger is the only boat company buiding a competition barefoot boat in the U.S.

Year(s) Approved Boat Company Model
93-94 Brendella Barefooter
88 Centurion Outboard
79-92 Correct Craft Barefoot Nautique
86-89 Fineline/Ski Centurion Barefoot Warrior O/B 200hp
90 Fineline/Ski Centurion Falcon Barefoot
84 Fineline/Ski Centurion Ski Centurion
94-95 Fineline/Ski Centurion Warrior Barefoot Comp
89 Flightcraft 18XL Outboard
87-89 Flightcraft Flightcraft
02-06 Gekko GTR 22
85 Glastron Ski Machine O/B 150hp
85-86 Hydrodyne O/B 150hp,235hp
84 Hydrodyne O/B 150hp Johnson
84 Hydrodyne O/B 150hp Mercury
90-92 Malibu Flightcraft 18XLT
90-99 Malibu Flightcraft 20XLOBT/Barefooter
02-04 Malibu Response Barefooter
03-07 Malibu Response LXi
06 Malibu Response LXi 383
08 Malibu Response LX 383
91-99 MasterCraft Barefoot 200
92-93 Moore Marine Ski Pro 2000 Footer
94-97 Moore Marine Ski Pro Footer EX I/O
85-87 Moore Marine Ski Pro I/O
02-04 Moore Marine Ski Pro Extreme Comp Barefooter
98-10 Sanger DXII Barefooter 5.8L, 6.2L 340 hp or 380 hp HO, 8.1 L 370 or 420 hp
87-97 Sanger Barefoot O/B
92-94 Sanger Ski Sanger DXII
87 Sanger Sanger TX
Not listed
1999 or 2000 MasterCraft Powerstar O/B 200HP

Sanger has a hull design that is shared by the DXII and the Outboard called the Delta Pad, a triangular flat at the transom extending forward all the way to the tracking fins(This from Sangers Flat bottom racing heritage).

Most people don't know about Sanger DX's, SX's, they are the inboard cousin to the outboard from 87 on. Sharing hull design characteristics. The DXII has a different top deck which has the one pc curved windshield, the DX/SX's have a split flat windshield with the DX having teak on the bow and one gelcoat design and the SX having no teak, and a different gelcoat design.

A 72 Sanger V drive

A 66 Sanger, Sanger is a true custom boat builder it is very rare to see two Sangers that are identical due to the factory customization. If you want it they will build it.

A 94 SX

All white SX, tan interior

Clean choice

So it should be noted that the SX and DX have the same exact hull, then comes DXII the new topdeck/one pc curved windshield and some very minor tweaks to the hull, shortening two of the lifting strakes by about a foot which I've been told was to improve the barefoot wake.

The DXII hull remains unchanged since 1992, yes 1992!

So if a footer has been bitten by the footing bug and wants a great barefoot boat but maybe cant buy a brand new boat...there are so many eligible Sanger DX, SX, DXII's available and all one has to do is some engine upgrades and add a fixed cavitation plate aka barefoot plate to the transom and you have the best wake on the planet for barefooting.

I built one using a 1990 DX because I liked it's older style and THE TEAK!

It's been through many transformations, I don't have any qualms about originality(except for a few things!), or drilling holes, or hiding them later, LOL.

here's how it looked when I got it.

putting a plate on

If anybody is interested I'll add some more.
This is the life
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 9:15pm
very interested
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 9:50pm
I went right to changing and upgrading things, the merc 260 horse would pull us about 44 max and I ran it hard for a few years until water turned up in the oil. I wanted a new engine so bad I pretty much tried to blow the 260hp up   

It got a tower and a super flyhigh(tower extension) for a while

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 10:09pm

One of the nice new ones out there

This is the life
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2013 at 10:20pm
Loved that black one since they rolled it out. Love that I'm not having to keep it clean even more.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 1:09am
Very interesting pkst andy...
Makes wanna have one of those!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 1:39am
Very interesting post Andy! How much difference is there in the old DX hull and its wake from the current DXII? Did adding the plate to your DX give a wake/table close to what the DXII produces?
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 2:18am
very good question.

The DX hull is basically the Outboard hull with an inboard engine.
(Not exactly in dimensions but close)

As far as I know no one else had put a plate on one before I did. The plate had only ever been on DXII's outfitted as Barefooter's.

I put the Merc 383 Stroker in and we have skied it pretty hard with Willie saying that the wake was "too easy". One thing I have not done yet it ski it with 5 people in boat(tournament load) which humps the wake up a little in the middle.

I think it's very very much the same as the DXII wake. When I'm skiing I really can't tell the difference.

here is the wake, I've got lots of video of DXII and my DX wakes to compare.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 2:42am
some other things to note

Some DXII's did get the plate but were not offically barefoot pkg boats, once again Sanger will add or delete whatever a buyer wants.

The wake without the plate on the DX or DXII is just OK/decent but nothing to brag about. Both are AWSA approved without the plate. Since the DX was during the time of the Outboards being used in comps nobody ever put a plate on a DX/SX, the DXII earned it's AWSA/ABC ratings with a plate on.
The plate makes an amazing difference in the wake.

This is the life
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 2:30pm
Cool thread. A hardcore footer on my lake has a DXII Barefooter with tower and SFH. He ditched the Merc for some sort of big block PCM a couple of years ago. My second favorite brand and I'm glad b/c there aren't many over here on the east coast to choose from.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 2:59pm
Cool thread Andy, thanks.

There are two "Ski Sangers" on our lake, a blue and a red one. Once it stops snowing and the ice melts I'm definitely going to be taking a close look at them to see exactly what is going on. I'm pretty sure both have the flat split windshield, and they may both have teak... but not sure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 3:58pm
The big blocks are OK but in competition the 5 people plus the extra 200lbs of fat engine gave the wake a hump across the table so it has been determined that the small block with 400+hp is the way to go.

The new LS series small blocks are supplied by Indmar and being all aluminum they are about 200 lbs lighter than a SBC.

"Ski Sanger" is really generic advertising and does not refer to a specific model, It is common to hear people say I've got a Ski Sanger and if you ask them the model they think it's Ski Sanger. Most of the people who have them don't know the model they own. Seriously.

And just because it says "Barefooter" on the side does not mean it's the DXII...Some DLX's (open bow inboard) got the plate and the sticker but it's not the DXII barefoot wake, close but not as good.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 4:08pm
Here is KSO skiing my old DXII 2001 Super Scorpion 377, then me, then Willie behind the Malibu.

This is the life
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 4:29pm
No boom required!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

The new LS series small blocks are supplied by Indmar and being all aluminum they are about 200 lbs lighter than a SBC.

Which LS motors are they using that are all aluminum? The 6.2L maybe?

I believe all the 6.0L marine engines are iron block/aluminum heads.
Hansel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hansel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 5:07pm
I always thought that "Ski Sanger" was the model until reading your posts. Makes me much more curious about what is going on with those things.

Neither one gets a lot of use, and I've never seen somebody ski or foot behind them. Only wakeboarding and most often tubing.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 5:24pm
oops guess I read too much about the 6.2 LSA, That is my dream Barefoot Boat engine. yes the 6.0 is cast iron block, the LSA goes to the all alum. and gets 550hp out of a small block.

Looks like within the LS series there are both cast iron and alum blocks available.

I have a friend who just ordered a new 2013 Sanger DXII Barefooter with the 6.0 409hp, I could not talk him into getting the LSA try though I might.
This is the life
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 5:29pm

oops guess I read too much about the 6.2 LSA, That is my dream Barefoot Boat engine. yes the 6.0 is cast iron block, the LSA goes to the all alum. and gets 550hp out of a small block.

Looks like within the LS series there are both cast iron and alum blocks available.

I have a friend who just ordered a new 2013 Sanger DXII Barefooter with the 6.0 409hp, I could not talk him into getting the LSA try though I might.

To clarify, I believe LSA = supercharged 6.2L, which puts out 550hp. The naturally aspirated version of the 6.2L is the LS3 and I believe its usually rated around 450hp.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 5:31pm
Sangers are great tubing boats
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 5:34pm
Honestly I am drooling over the LSA
This is the life
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 6:07pm

andy whats the going price on that package if I may ask?
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 6:30pm
**Looove me some Sangers.

The one and only Sanger dealership in Wisconsin has been affiliated with Aquanut Water Shows. I think they started selling them here around 97/98. We are lucky to have a relatively large population of them in my area. At one time we used them as show boats. These are the juniors practicing.

I've never heard of these as SX before, always seen it as SE.

And they've all had a swirl interior like a mid-00 Correct Craft, not pleats.

92-94 DX was available with the more modern, DXII gelcoat scheme.

I think shortening of the lifting strakes was a change for the 91 model year and probably carried forward for all "delta pad" hulls.

I've seen enough to believe you could opt out of the bow teak, though the vast majority have them.

These TXs are wicked fast and BKH can probably share more as he's driven one for his ski racer friend.

If all you are implying is the Delta Pad is the name of the concept of the hull keel, well then the DLX and VLX have that too. Surely their hulls are a tad bit different including length, but close enough. I've never either with the plate, nice to know some have gone ahead and made an open bow "Barefooter" though. The 89-92 Sport Nautique also has similar hull design.

**Disclaimer - I cannot prove any of this information to be factory original.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 7:31pm
Yes HW, I mean't SE not SX. There is no SX. I've been told that SE was Special Edition but don't know that to be fact. Those TX's are fast that's what I footed behind at 59mph an 86 TX, the first one Sanger ever made. Wake is no DXII though.

Kap, I think it was just over 50k, thats why I like to build my own.

In fact, talking with Scott Pellaton, he said he would just get an older DXII and build a motor for it, and go carbed, get rid of the complications caused by EFI since it's really not necessary to going fast.

This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 8:53pm
Got you Ford guys covered too...a rare 351

Sanger 351 Indmar
This is the life
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 10:55pm
In the first pic, the guy on the left is the driver, right? That's more stupid than the ghost surfing.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2013 at 11:06pm
Guys have been doing that or faking it for years, I still do not have an answer to the questions.

I do not recommend doing it or faking it. Only the very stupid should attempt such a feat.
This is the life
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 12:39am

Got you Ford guys covered too...a rare 351

Sanger 351 Indmar

Looks like it could be a good deal on the start of a project....the 4300 mile round trip doesn't sound so good though.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 1:31am
It's a beautiful country, It's spring, temps are headed to the 80's here, you could ski all along the way back home.
This is the life
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 9:00am
Andy I always thought The Malibu Sportster was the best barefoot boat in their range. It does not appear in that approved boat list at all.

Are they a good barefoot boat??
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2013 at 10:02am
Didn't Mastercraft make an outboard barefooter back in the 87-88 time frame? Also, what of the Mastercraft Tristar based barefooter 190?   Were none of these boats "approved" barefoot boats of the day?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic