NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stars & Stripes Ski Nautique ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
turningpoint84 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turningpoint84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 2:50am
The flames aren't original either i assume?
Proud 1968 mustang owner and now
1970 Mustang
GrayBeardSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2013 at 2:33am
Ok, so there was a call for more pictures. People are visual, I get it. So I went to work and gathered up a timeline of pictures. What I think you'll see, is the boat has had the same stars and stripes graphics and looks the same from 1975 till now. But here goes...

Art and Angie launching their new Ski Nautique for first time in 1975.

Art piloting the boat after initial launch in 1975.

Jerry and Moira piloting the boat in 1980 on Lake Tulloch. They had recently acquired the boat from Art and Angie.

Ski Nautique on trailer in 1982. If you look closely, you can see top of ladder in back so it hadn't been replaced with swim deck yet.

Ski Nautique on trailer at Coyote Lake in 1992.

Ski Nautique at Clear Lake in 1994.

Ski Nautique on water (most likely Coyote Lake) in 1995.

Ski Nautique on trailer in 1996.

Jerry at the helm at Clear Lake in 1997.

Joel and Jill piloting the Ski Nautique on Clear Lake in 2001.

Ok, I've provided the visual evidence as to the boat's appearance over it's life span. Hopefully this dispels lingering questions and disproves assertions that the boat must have changed appearance after delivery from Correct Craft. Like the original owners and I've said all along, this is the factory delivered appearance (except swim deck and windshield frame color) for this boat.

Now I hope someone who was involved in the commissioning and/or original trimming of the boat will now remember and speak up about their memories.
Joel Heinke
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

We're dudes we have to see pictures!!!!

My wife reminds me constantly "Men are VISUAL"!!!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 6:25pm
GrayB,
If you want to light a fire under your thread again just post more detailed pics of the boat now and also more from Original Owner Art's original photos.

We're dudes we have to see pictures!!!!

This is the life
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 3:58pm
Gray..... I did get a response from Ralph Meloon Jr. and he does not have but a "faint" recollection of such a boat, and he does't think that it came from the factory with those graphics. I am still working on trying to catch up with Walt Meloon Jr. to show him the photo and test his memory!
Art C.
"Art"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2013 at 2:48pm
Bouncing this in case someone has uncovered new information.
Joel Heinke
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 4:48pm
I don't see nothin' wrong with a little bump n' grind.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 4:32pm
Been doing way too much grinding, come to think of it, can you write me a prescription doctor?? Will have to bump our Martini thread with some grinding updates!!
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 4:21pm
Yep, I was just getting ready to say that we do have a member that worked for West Coast Correct Craft in the year 2000.

Q- so, I'm assuming, no outdoor grinding today either.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 4:12pm
Dr Al bumped this thread today, something interesting a few posts down by member BB, Bob Bense

Thread About 75'

HMMMMMM
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Not necessarily, HW as an example, he's pretty "special", in a licking school bus windows kind of way, don't think his parents ordered him that way??

Really Quinner, you are seriously deranged (and extremely funny as well)

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2013 at 12:26am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

if it was so special shouldn't the original owner have some sort of documentation as to this "specialness"???

Not necessarily, HW as an example, he's pretty "special", in a licking school bus windows kind of way, don't think his parents ordered him that way??
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 9:06pm
I plan to talk with both Walt and Ralph Meloon Jr. as soon as I can carve some time out of my schedule!
Art C
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 8:56pm
How is it that the original owner got this particular boat? if it was so special shouldn't the original owner have some sort of documentation as to this "specialness"???
This is the life
martin 74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin 74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 8:44pm
Joel
I noticed your boat is missing the usual flag decals that went on the sides of the boat near the stern. Total wild guess, but maybe whoever made those flag decals at the time made special custom ones for your boat. Both have stars on top and stripes on the bottom. Again wild wild guess!

Rich

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayBeardSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 6:58pm
Wow, now we’re cooking!!    It’s amazing how a small clue can open the door to more information and a whole new chapter unfolds.

Let me try to address the question as to whether the stars and stripes Ski Nautique graphic on the boat sides was technically possible in 1975. I’ve never questioned that myself because it appears original and given the limited numbers (2 boats) the same time/cost factors from mass production runs don’t apply.

First off, I don’t profess to be an expert in lettering/graphic applications but I have done about 10 auto paint jobs involving stripes/multi-colors/etc. and a little bit of hand painted pin striping. Most of my experience doing this paint work was in mid to late 1970s so I’m familiar with materials available back then.

I think I caused some confusion when I said there was some vinyl in the lettering. There is but all the actual letter detail like stars, red and white stripes and blue is hand painted. The vinyl portion is all background behind the letters. Because the letters are close together, the background is a solid piece for several letters. So there’s only 4 pieces of vinyl behind the 11 letters.

I think someone with a steady hand and a razor knife could have easily cut these shapes from a vinyl sheet. They did a good job of cutting smooth curves but if you look real close you can see some small wiggles in a couple of places. These are the type of thing you wouldn’t expect to see in a computer cut graphic but would in a hand done one. So I agree with consensus that a computer controlled vinyl cutter wasn’t available back then but an artist with a razor knife could easily have done this work.

Like I said, the real artistry is in the hand painted stars and stripes letters themselves. From information Art C. has provided, the Florida CC factory painted the lettering with stencils and sprayed the paint. I'm assuming this work wasn't done by that same crew. I’m still convinced that there was a limited run of this special graphic treatment that was commissioned somewhere within CC though. Now it’s a matter of tracking it down who commissioned it.   
Joel Heinke
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

It is so cool to have you here on the site Art. THANKS!

.............. X2!!!!   

All more the reason for y'all to come on down to play on the river in March. Art hangs with us for the weekend and as we all know, is a wealth of information and history. Art, I wish there was a way to plug your brain into a hard drive and download all you know about CC but I don't think there is a computer big enough to hold all the info. Thanks for all you add to the site and the history of our beloved Correct Crafts!

Tim, The offer of Southern hospitality is a huge temptation. There are so many of you down there I would like to meet. I believe the only reason a CCFAN does not make a re-union is that they give themselves permission not to. One of these years I will take my own advice, man up, and get down there in March. Unfortunately this year I gave myself permission not to. Thanks for the Invite though. I will be watching the SJRR thread with jealous eyes.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2013 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

.............. X2!!!!   

All more the reason for y'all to come on down to play on the river in March. Art hangs with us for the weekend and as we all know, is a wealth of information and history. Art, I wish there was a way to plug your brain into a hard drive and download all you know about CC but I don't think there is a computer big enough to hold all the info. Thanks for all you add to the site and the history of our beloved Correct Crafts!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 11:24pm

.............. X2!!!!   
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 7:55pm
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 7:39pm
I don't think that's Russ' Mom in the boat. That photo was shot in Florida at a lake near the factory, and to my knowlede his mom never came to Florida. He is still around, skiing in Texas, I think.
Saw him in recent years, but don't remember where.
"Art"
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 7:38pm
Can I favorite this thread? What a GREAT story!!!!!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 7:30pm
You certainly do good detective work. The CC dealer in those days was in fact Ralph Meloon, a son of Mr. Ralph to whom Dave refers in his post. Angie is correct, it was in Sacramento. Ralph Jr., as we call him, is now a bush pilot in Alaska and I can get in touch with him and send him a copy of your photo and see whether he remembers anything about the graphics. It will take me a while to get in touch with him.

You are correct, according to Dave (Godfather) there is no information other than the shipping invoice, and it doesn't say anything about the graphics. If it was done at West Coast, there would be no records, but as I said above, I will inquire of Ralph Jr.   

Insofar as to the references to the Asians painting the boats, actually, Ronnie Arnold probably painted 90% of the '73 through '76 boats. He was the one who so badly wanted to use flame. We had hired another painter named Paul Anderson, and it was he who taught Ronnie to do flame. Shortly after that Ronnie was promoted to the prototype shop. He is the one who did the work on the rear deck of the SN when we changed from the aluminum clearance bar to the raised fiberglass on the 1977 rear deck. We then had a Vietnamese named Dai Nguen painting the boats along with Paul. Dai is the guy who painted Ski Nautique on the 1961 boat which some of you are familiar with, and when I met the truck with the boat on it at Callaway Gardens for the '77 Masters, I noticed that Nautique was misspelled! Got some acetone at the hardware store and took it off.

To the best of my knowledge, the graphics on some of the '73s were done by hand by a sign painter. We then had stencils cut, the stencil was a one-time stencil on frisket paper. It was stuck to the boat, masked off, sprayed, and pulled off. The stencils were what enabled us to do the black shading around the perimeter of the letters, that might have started in '75, I'm not sure. Ronnie Arnold came up with that idea. He simply took an airbrush and went around the letters before removing the stencil.

Walt Meloon Jr. was President in those days, his father was the CEO. Walt made all the decisions about what went on in the factory. I will show him the photos of the graphics and ask whether he recalls anything about any boats being painted that way. We still don't have an explanation for the vinyl graphics, though. As someone said, who had a computer in 1975, let alone a computer-driven vinyl cutter.
"Art"
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 6:46pm
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 6:45pm
I spoke with Mr. Ralph on Friday with Larry Shea. We ask him and showed him the photo of this boat and he said, he does not recall this boat.. Or the factory doing this design to an Ski. I think the dealer can answer more, but they are no longer open. But I will still do some more digging.
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 6:20pm
I said it before but I'll say it again, this thread is awesome.   I can't help but notice that the name of the dealer Angie supplied, Ralph Maloon, is startling similar to our own Mr. Ralph Meloon...does anyone know if Mr. Ralph worked in Sacramento in the mid 70s? Or is anyone on thread in a position to ask him? Maybe someone with a white and green mustang...?   
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 5:06pm
Could this be Stiffler's mom, from 1975 ?

edit: Appologies- bad joke, bad timing, wrong Stiffler.

edit: The part of this story that I do believe is that the boat in question, left the factory in Orlando looking exactly like the '75 in this pic.
(w/optional ladder)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 5:06pm
Very fun to see the history come together. Thanks for sharing.
1987 Ski Nautique

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 4:53pm
Thanks for pursuing this and sharing .its really pretty interesting
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2013 at 4:23pm
Jerry does all the custom lettering at my buddy's boat shop in San Jose.

www.topsidemarine.com

This is the life
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic