NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 San Juan has a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
Author
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 San Juan has a new home
    Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:03pm
Well I was at Boston Harbor this morning at 8:30 and was on the road by 9:30. Truck, boat, and trailer made the trip from Boston to Albany without a problem. I will post pics and more info later tonight.
She's gonna be quite the project!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
cphase View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cphase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:08pm
Congrats! Glad you had en uneventful trip!
Thanks,

Jeff
82 SN
Arch Linux
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:13pm
Thats great hope to see it someday. What engine does it have?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 5:40pm
Always a great relief to get the unknown part of the adventure behind you.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
hein View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 7:55pm
Will be keeping an eye on the progress!
A bad day skiing is better than a good day at work.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 8:15pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 8:45pm
Well done....Quite the logistics!   
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

She's gonna be quite the project!

We are here to help!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 9:35pm
Looking forward to the pics!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 9:54pm
After all that trailer discussion it sounds like it ended up being an easy fit! That had to be a 6,000 lb. load, what did you tow it with?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:04pm
OK, story first and then some pics.
First of all, the previous owner Joe was a great guy. Between him, his son, and the dockmaster, things went pretty smoothly. The boat has been in his family since the early 70s yet it didn't seem like he was too concerned to be "losing" it.
I was going to take my dad's GMC2500 but I took a chance with my truck instead. I have a 2011 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl and it is rated for 5600 lbs towing. This was right at the edge, and my truck is MUCH more comfortable and trustworthy than my dad's. And, I thought it would be nice to have something a bit smaller to navigate the tight streets of Boston. That proved to be a good idea.

I had to back into the gates at the yacht club shown here. It was 8:30 am (rush hour) and I had to back into that gate with cars parked as close as they could be to the driveway. I tried to jacknife back in but it just wasn't working. I detached the trailer and we pushed it in by hand, and then I backed my truck in and hooked back up. It was so tight in there that I thought I'd be scratching cars as I left but everything fit.
It was quite heavy on my truck and unfortunately the boat sat a bit too far forward on the trailer so there was too much tongue weight, but I decided it would be fine.
I stopped at every rest stop along the way on I90 and everything was good. I transferred about 150 lbs from my truck bed to the rear of the boat and that helped as well.

As you can see, the bottom was COVERED in marine life. Things were squirming and very smelly, and they got the ride of their life going 180 miles on the highway.

I had to sacrifice the lives of about a million tiny shrimp and mussels when I got home!

The engine is a 1998 350 EFI. Joe bought had it installed new in 1998 and even gave me the receipt. He also had a new teleflex steering cable that wasn't installed.
The floor was replaced with with plywood; the upholstery is fairly new, and the original color is the hideous maroon that you can see in the 1968 catalog.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:20pm
And now for the pics.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:28pm
The guy in the boat is Joe, the previous owner. The last pic is it connected to my dad's truck; I used his truck to back it into his yard for the weekend.

I'll post pics of the interior and engine tomorrow. It was getting too dark, cold, and windy.

I brought a bunch of tools, 2x4 blocks, 4x4s, 2 jacks, a 20 inch 6x6, and some kneeling pads but I didn't need any of that!

There's a chance that the engine could be OK. It sounds like Joe did a good job of turning it off right when he noticed the oil pressure drop. Hopefully it's just a rusted out oil pan. It is going to be tough for me to lift the engine with this insanely tall boat.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:34pm
Nice Find,

Did it come with a Wildlife Title or Bill of Sale ( free) something that will help you get it registered in New York State?

Donald
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:37pm
Yes, he gave me the title and signed it over to me as a gift. I hope that is all we need. I'm going to call/stop by DMV on Monday just to make sure I have all the paperwork I need.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2012 at 11:39pm
Also, Joe had a new engine cover built, probably when he installed the 1998 Chevy 350. It is pretty far from "original" and may be tough to get it back. I'm pretty sure I don't want to go down to the gel to expose that maroon color.

And... my truck got 14MPG on the way out with just the trailer; it got 7.7MPG on the way home! But, it did well even going up those big hills in the Berkshires.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 1:29am
Very Cool....Let the fun begin!!!!!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 1:37am
I can't believe you got that free, that's an awesome deal! Until your pictures I didn't realize a San Juan had a cabin like that.

I assume the boat was originally RR with 1:1. Is the 350 he put in still RR with same tranny? I know maybe too early to ask questions, you just got back!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 9:35am
That's a pretty nice find and now you can make some clam cakes and chowder this weekend too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 9:38am
Big time cool!!! Keep the pictures coming.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bakchose View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bakchose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:13am
I've been past that marina a bunch of times. You aren't kidding when you say it is a tight fit backing in there. I wonder how much additonal weight the marine life adds to the boat? I'm curious to find out what happened to the engine. Keep us posted.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I can't believe you got that free, that's an awesome deal! Until your pictures I didn't realize a San Juan had a cabin like that.

I assume the boat was originally RR with 1:1. Is the 350 he put in still RR with same tranny? I know maybe too early to ask questions, you just got back!

I'm keeping the boat at my parents house for now so I'm heading over there to check it out right now. The cabin even has a porta potty. Before I left I had searched the web for any pics I could find of the cabin and only found one. It is pretty small but will allow the kids to get out of the rain or sun.

How would I go about winterizing this? I assume it is a closed cooling loop, and we know most of the oil is drained. I'm not sure if I'll be able to lift the engine before spring.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:48am
I doubt it's closed loop cooling, you'll see right away when you get there, that would be quite a modification on an older boat. Assuming it's not, the question is whether you can flush the engine a bit before you drain it, not sure how to do that without spinning over the engine. With the oil gone, that's not a good idea. You may just have to drain it and stop there.

If it was me, I might try the following. Pull the spark plugs, squirt a bit of light oil in each cylinder, put a wrench on the crank pulley bolt, and see if it easily spins. If it feels smooth turning by hand, I might find a way to hold some oil in the pan, then spin the engine over with the starter while feeding water to the raw water pump intake. This would not only flush out the engine a bit, but would also pump clean oil through so hopefully you get everything coated for the winter. Then you can drain the fresh water for the winter.

Just thinking aloud, curious for comments from others.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:50am
Cool find, I hope you can salvage the engine. I would just drain it well, even the closed loop, for winterization.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:55am
By the way, I'm now officially wanting your boat. I always thought I wanted a Cuddy Nautique because of the cabin, but seems like you've got the best of both worlds, cabin plus huge cockpit. I'll give you twice what you paid for it, cash, right now!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2012 at 10:57am
I'll go along with David.
Fog via the plug holes, the drain and pour the antifreeze. If it does by chance have a fresh water cooling system, then all that is needed is to drain and antifreeze the raw water side of the cooling system. Post some pictures of the engine if it is fresh water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 1:30am
Hey Jeff, thanks so much for the update. I too hadn't realized the San Juans had the cuddy. Very slick, and now I REALLY want one once the twins are big enough to get out on the water!

As I said, I'm in and out of ALB all the time. Would love to come take a look sometime. Will you have it inside for the winter?

Looks like it's bottom-painted, so that's good. 3000psi from the pressure washer and you can have a clam bake!

Keep the pics coming when you can. Glad you got the boy out there with ya!

Ultra
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 2:58am
Man, that thing had it's own ecosystem! Glad you made it home with it ok and good luck with the project
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:38pm
Barnical bill called, wants his boat back! cool find.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2012 at 12:47pm
Hey ultra - let me know when you're heading out here, I should be available. I'm not sure where the boat may be. I'm looking at renting a 3-stall garage for my boats and business right now so we'll see...

Update... I only had a few hours yesterday and it was going to rain so I didn't get much done.

First order of business was to get rid of the nasty port-a-potty:

Notice how rusted the lifting hardware is on the bow. I wonder how long that would last. And I wonder how I'm going to find a replacement.

Here are a few shots of the engine.

And to prove it really is a Correct Craft (or at least has a CC badge)

I won't be able to get to it today, but Wednesday looks good for me to get back to work on at least one of my boats.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 6>
  Share Topic