Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 Sport -- temp issues and surging...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1995 Sport -- temp issues and surging...
    Posted: July-18-2012 at 2:17am
Temp gauge stopped registering recently, so I took boat to local dealer for repair. I was initially told that thermostat was bad. After another week I was told that the thermostat was not bad, but was missing, and when they put the new one in, the engine temp was too high--approx 190 degrees. They are also telling me that the engine is surging, but I just got back from a 10-day Lake Powell trip and it ran perfectly the whole time. They have ruled out the gauge, sending unit, water pump, water strainer, suction pump, and blockage in the engine block. But even though they have not found the cause of the issue, they want to change the exhaust manifolds and risers claiming that even they don't appear to be leaking on the outside, they are likely leaking on the inside, and are likely the root cause of both the surging and overheating. This makes no sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 5:18am
Originally posted by scarbs scarbs wrote:

Temp gauge stopped registering recently, so I took boat to local dealer for repair. I was initially told that thermostat was bad. After another week I was told that the thermostat was not bad, but was missing, and when they put the new one in, the engine temp was too high--approx 190 degrees. They are also telling me that the engine is surging, but I just got back from a 10-day Lake Powell trip and it ran perfectly the whole time. They have ruled out the gauge, sending unit, water pump, water strainer, suction pump, and blockage in the engine block. But even though they have not found the cause of the issue, they want to change the exhaust manifolds and risers claiming that even they don't appear to be leaking on the outside, they are likely leaking on the inside, and are likely the root cause of both the surging and overheating. This makes no sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?

I'd RUN from that dealer! They say it is surging but you haven't seen/felt it? What are they talking about?!!

You said the gauge was working until recently and then stopped. That tells me that the thermostat was there and working properly at the time. Then it is not registering (not getting hot enough), and they said the thermostat is missing? Where'd it go? Who took it out? The engine can't get to normal operating temp without a functioning thermostat, so how do they explain why it was previously at normal operating temperature without a thermostat? Then they put a new one in and now it is running hot?

While I don't know for sure, it sure sounds like they're don't have enough business and you're the perfect mark. They could have put a hot thermostat in to show that it is running hot so now needs more work. What temp thermostat did they put in? I don't remember what it is supposed to be on the GT40, but it is pretty low, like 142 or something like that. With that one, my gauge shows just under 160. I put a 160 in one time to see if my heater would be more efficient, and it ran on the gauge about 190 (I put the 142 back in because the GT40 needs to run cooler thermostats.

And what about the risers, etc.? Are they saying it is overheating because of internal leaks, or is that what is causing the surging (that you don't notice)? Many others on this forum know a lot more about the exhaust manifolds/risers, but mine were leaking externally quite a bit, and yet when I pulled them, I saw no evidence of leakage inside. If they are leaking inside, I would assume you would get some water into your cylinders, so you might be able to pull plugs and see if there is different discoloration. Can someone else on the forum speak to internal leakage, symptoms, evidence, etc.?

Anyway, can you please clarify what the problem(s) are that you are experiencing? Do you feel any surging? High temp (is it always this hot whether at idle or running hard (after warmed up of course))? I'd like to understand the problems you are experiencing, not what the dealer says you have.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 12:03pm
The only problem that I noticed was the temp gauge not registering. I recall the moment last month while I was at Lake Powell when it was at about 150 degrees and just dropped down all the way to the left. After that, it would move slightly when I'd start the engine, but then nothing. So after I got back, I took it to the dealer to fix that issue. It took them 10 days to diagnose the problem, but they told me the thermostat just needed to be replaced. A week later, they said that the thermostat. Had actually been missing, and when they put the new thermostat in, it ran hot--190 degrees. He did say that he had put in a 160 degree thermostat. I don't know which thermostat is correct, but he did mention putting a 140 degree thermostat in, but said that was a band aid not a cure.

It really makes no sense...it ran too cold before I took it there, but too hot after thermostat install. Engine is getting plenty of water and discharging it properly. The risers show evidence of leaking in the past, but a different mechanic who performed the winter service checked for leaks ans even pulled the plugs to check for any water, but did not find anything. And I have been watching them all season for leaks and not seen anything. Dealer also admitted that they did not see them leak, but said they could still be leaking internally.

Regarding the surging of the engine, I don't know what that's about. I had it on the lake every day from mid June to late June and it ran perfectly. No power issues. No surging. Nothing. Just the temp gauge issue. I understand if the risers were leaking internally so severely that they could cause overheating or surging, that they would have to be pretty bad and the engine would have been running terribly for some time. But I am no mechanic.

Anyway, dealer wanted to do a compression test and a few other diagnostics before concluding that the manifolds and risers need to be replaced, but told me to expect it and to be ready to pay about $900 plus the thermostat and other diagnostics.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:56pm
Hold the phone!! Wait till Pete gets a-hold of this one.

A.) What engine are you running specifically? Carb'd or EFI?

Well, A.) is really how soon can you get your boat back from this dealer?

B.) What did your gauge typically read before all this happened?

C.) Check out Skidim's Overheat troubleshoot:
http://www.skidim.com/Faq_TROUBLESHOOT.asp#RWTS then Scroll down a bit, they have a separate little section for diagnosing the gauge.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:57pm
Sorry, just read your post more carefully. 150 degrees is typically within normal range.

Sounds like either a gauge, sender or an issue with wiring going to the gauge.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 5:14pm
It is an EFI GT-40. Usually ran around 150 degrees. I just called the dealer to get the boat back because I don't believe its line regarding the manifolds and risers. Dealer is now saying that the manifolds and risers are probably not causing the loping and overheat conditions, and don't appear to be leaking at the moment, but may need replacing in the near future. Fair enough. But still no diagnosis for the overheat and alleged surging. Like I said, it did not surge at all during my 10-day trip. Needless to say, I am very frustrated. I will check the Skidim link. Thanks for the tip!
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:04pm
So the dealer called me back last night and said that all pumps are working well and there is no blockage anywhere, but the engine still heats up to 190 degrees whether they use a 160-degree or 143-degree thermostat. Interestingly, the infrared gun indicates that the engine is running at 160 degrees with either thermostat and the risers do not get too hot to touch during operation. They said they've tried 3 different senders and 3 different temp gauges with the same result. Fortunately, they no longer believe that it has anything to do with the manifolds and risers, and now believe that it is an electrical issue. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Dealer said that it's talked to PCM 3 times, but still noe solution.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 12:11pm
I cant believe the dealer is getting an education on how to fix a simple project like this, all on your dime.

Based on your original post, it is pretty clear that the boat does not have a cooling system problem. Either a bad sender, bad gauge, or a mismatched pair... or a problem with the wiring between them. Pretty simple problem, which does not affect the functionality of the boat.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 1:07pm
What year is this boat? Does it have the smart pod dash or just a regular dash?

The sender wire is basically just a ground to the engine, that runs through a variable resister, the "sender."

It has been stated that the older boats don't have a "ground" post on the gauge, because the sender wire is the ground, and the ground would only be for the lights.

But, mine had a ground that was separate from the light, and was not the sender either. Not sure why.

My main thought is the sender wire is somehow shorting directly to ground... or it's a gauge like mine that has a separate ground post and they goofed up connections.

It's not like a car where it's just a quick disconnect and done, there's an individual connection for
--Ignition switched voltage
--Light switch switched voltage
--Light Ground
--Sender wire (variably resisted ground to the engine)
--in my case a separate ground for who knows what

Further, on certain years, the exact OEM guage is no longer available, so you have to do a little wiring work, switching from spade terminals to ring terminal ends. Another place for human error.

Overall weak wiring, low voltage, and weak/bad grounds can cause a gauge to read on the high end of normal, but 190 is way up there. I'm thinking some kind of partial short to ground on the sender wire.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 1:46pm
It is a 1995 Sport Nautique with EFI GT-40. Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure what a smart pod dash is. But I was told that it has a separate sender for the gauge and the warning light in the middle of the dash. The warning light is not turning on when the gauge is reading 190.

Basically, like Mr. TRBenj said above, the actual engine does not appear to be overheating...something just seems to be causing the gauge to read the wrong temperature--likely a ground or other electrical problem like you described. But dealer has had the boat for three prime weeks and no diagnosis yet. And it hasn't even gotten to the loping/surging issue that it claims exists that I have never experienced.

Needless to say...I don't plan to go back to this dealer for my next issue. But I don't know of another marine mechanic that knows the GT-40 enginge very well.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I cant believe the dealer is getting an education on how to fix a simple project like this, all on your dime.

Based on your original post, it is pretty clear that the boat does not have a cooling system problem. Either a bad sender, bad gauge, or a mismatched pair... or a problem with the wiring between them. Pretty simple problem, which does not affect the functionality of the boat.

Couldn't agree more! It was pretty obvious the dealer either didn't have a clue from the beginning, or they were trying to rack up the charges. Really poor troubleshooting on their part.

As Brian and TRBenj said, the sender and gauge is a very simple system; power to the gauge, wire to the sender, sender is grounded. Can only be gauge, sender, or wiring. Very easy to test/fix (but you need a hot engine to confirm). Yes, additional wiring for the light in the gauge, but still, this should be a no-brainer for the dealer.

How does the dealer know it is running up to 190 regardless of the thermostat used? Are they looking at the dash gauge (which we already know there is an issue with)? These guys are goofy!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 2:01pm

It is a 1995 Sport Nautique with EFI GT-40. Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure what a smart pod dash is...

The Smartpod is on the newer boats starting in 2000? or so, and involves more computer controlled wizadry.

I feel you are lucky you don't have it, it makes things a little simpler. Your setup should be similar to what most people on the site have.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 2:22pm
A good question, when looking at Temp Senders, and oil pressure senders too, there seems to be a little cork/rubber gasket washer thing in between where the wire connects and the body of the sender.

I assume if the wire connection is goofed up, the resister would be bypassed, and you'd be giving a direct path to ground and getting a high reading. Sound plausible?

Here's what I mean, look at the connection end:
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 3:10pm
Gentlemen--thanks for all of your help. Because of your input, I was able to sound reasonably intelligent when I talked to the dealer, which forced it to back off of its plan to change manifolds and risers and perform a compression test for the loping. I am supposed to hear from the dealer this morning and will raise the probable issue of bad ground at the sender. Hopefully I can get this issue resolved relatively quickly and get back on the lake with my sons.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 4:24pm
Ok...so dealer called again and advised that all grounds and other wiring checked out ok. He has ordered some gauge or meter that will "isolate" the area where the sender is reading and will be able to determine if his infrared--which indicates 160 degrees--is reading correctly, or the sender--indicating 190 degrees--is reading correctly. It may just be me, but it seems like this step should have been taken a long time ago.

I have to say that I am completely miffed by this dealer. It was the only Nautique dealer in the area for many years and has been working on Nautiques for even longer. I have been working with the head mechanic who has called PCM 4 times for advice on figuring out the issue. But after 3 weeks, no one can figure it out. Totally bizarre!
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 4:37pm
You're right; it should have been done long ago (long before he told you to replace your manifolds and risers, which he later admitted was not the problem).

If it was me and I was confident the gauge and sender were okay, I'd run a separate test wire from the sender to the gauge. Start the engine with a hose, and watch the gauge while the engine warmed up (preferably with a 143 degree thermostat in place). You could also pull the sender, measure the resistance cold, then put the end in water, heat the water up (or just put the end in some hot water) to near boiling, and check resistance again (assuming someone has the resistance values). Actually better would be to hook up the gauge and do this so you could see what the gauge says (and measure the water temp with the infrared thermometer). Assuming the engine is okay (pretty sure it is), it can only be one of three things: bad gauge, bad sender, bad wiring.

This is all stuff I'd do at home; I would not want to tell this dealer (who should have already done all this stuff) to do it (and then charge you for it).
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 4:41pm

ecause of your input, I was able to sound reasonably intelligent when I talked to the dealer, which forced it to back off of its plan to change manifolds and risers and perform a compression test for the loping.

If YOU notice a loping problem, post it to the forum. Several of us have had loping problems at idle and can steer you to a solution. You'll notice it if it happens.

By the way, do you have the Fuel Control Cell (FCC) on your GT40? I don't know if '95s had it or not (mine is a '96).
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 4:50pm
Hopefully this dealer at least knows the difference between a gauge temp sender and the EFI temp sender.

If you disconnected the EFI temp sender, it would probably do all sorts of weird stuff. Loping included?
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 4:55pm
I have no idea if I have an FCC. Since the boat is still at the dealer, I guess I can ask it the next time it calls me to tell me it has not clue what's going on.

I forgot to mention that last time I talked to him, he said that he suspects it MIGHT also be the circulation pump. This is after he already told me that he tested the circulation and raw water pumps to make sure that both were operating properly. He said he performed "a" test, but needs to perform "another" test to confirm. I made it clear that I was not paying for them to do all this diagnostic work when they have wasted so much time chasing, or trying to chase, red herrings.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 6:33pm

I have no idea if I have an FCC.

I don't have a picture handy, but if you're looking at the engine from the front, it is a long black canister (about the diameter of an oil filter but much longer) to the right of the alternator (can't miss it). It has two hoses that come out of the top and head to the injector fuel rails, and a hose that elbows into the side near the top that comes from the low pressure fuel pump (mounted to the block below the FCC).

The FCC was added to lessen vapor lock.

Anyway, if you do experience surging/loping, I'd start a new thread on it. There are plenty of people on the forum can help you with that (if you ever experience it vs the dealer telling you you have a surge problem).
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:50pm
Dealer finally called and confirmed what you guys have said all allong--the engine was actually never overheating, but instead, there is an unidentified electrical issue with the temp gauge, sender, or wiring that they expect to resolve by no later than tomorrow morning.

And interestingly, the loping issue has also disappeared. I have it on good authority that it was a miracle.

Anyway, I don't want to burn the bridge with this dealer, because where I live, it probably is the best source of local information, parts, service, etc. for my older Nautique and Ford GT-40, so I won't. But geez, now I understand why it lost the local support of Correct Craft, which moved its new product and warranty work to another dealer last year.

Seriously though...thanks for all the help.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:55pm
Good luck, and keep us updated with outcomes.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2012 at 11:25pm
THE DEALER GAVE UP!!! After discovering that it was never actually running hot, it still cannot figure out why the temp gauge is running too high. In fact, even with the thermostat out, which it claims was the original problem, it reads 130 degrees whereas before it did not read anything. Anyway, dealer threw up its hands and told me to just come get it with it reading too high. What???
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 12:05am
Hope they don't charge you!

With the thermostat out, if it says 130, then it's most probably the wire, the sender, or the gauge. I hope they put a 143 back in for you.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 3:32am
No. They put a 160 in. They swear they checked every possible wire, changed the sender, and changed the gauge--all to no avail. But something changed. Temp gauge didn't register when i took it in. Allegedly, as soon as they put a new thermostat in it shot up to 190. Now, it won't go below 130. And regardless of a 143 or 160 thermostat, the gauge indicates that it runs at 180. But it is actually running right at 160. They are only charging me for diagnosing and putting in the thermostat. That, at least, I think is fair. I dont have the knowledge to fix it on my own so I'll take it to someone else.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 3:53am
So, probably wiring. I'd run a wire directly from the sender to the gauge and start it to see what happens. Also, it could be some corrosion of the wiring (power). Your gauge will read wrong if the voltage is low. Boats around that timeframe are notorious for poor ground at the dash pod although that wouldn't be your problem. But maybe some corrosion on terminals, etc. Or a failing wire.

Too bad you're not local; should be easy enough to isolate it; just surprised the dealer couldn't (especially after all that run-around).
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2012 at 3:57am
I'm going to have to put my temp gun on the seder of my engine and see what it says. Curious now.

When this is all said and done (and resolved), I'd still go back to the 143 thermostat. It likes to run cooler; no sense heating it higher since 143 is stock.

anyway, enjoy your boat! If it does get too hot, it should go into limp mode, so you should be okay based on everything you said to go ahead and use it while you're trying to find someone else to fix it.

Let us know how it runs!
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 12:49pm
I believe the 160 is the correct thermostat for a GT-40 engine. The carbureted boats are supposed to have the 143. Not sure why the difference.

I agree with the possibility that the voltage to the dash is too low. I had to run a new ground and a new positive to my dash. I also added a new ground bus.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I believe the 160 is the correct thermostat for a GT-40 engine. The carbureted boats are supposed to have the 143. Not sure why the difference.

I'll have to look at my manual, but I specifically called PCM about going to a 160 from a 143 (which was what it had from new) to try to get hotter air out of our heater, and they told me not to. That was years ago and they may have changed their stance since. I know that the skidim website says the 160 is recommended for EFI, and I'd love to put a 160 in so that my heater is hotter. Granted, my temp gauge in the dash shows close to 160 all the time, but I just assume that is due to the inaccuracy and scale on the gauge.

I'll check my manual again.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 1:59pm
If you aren't getting enough hot air, tell us how the heater is plumbed. There have been some issues that have been resolved by adding a "Y" fitting.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic