Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1995 Sport -- temp issues and surging...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 1:59pm
The gauges tend to read a little hotter than what the stat is. My old gauge said about 160 with my 143 stat. I replaced my gauge while I was doing some other wiring cleanup and now it sits at about 150.

I would defer to what PCM said to use. I'm just going by what I've read on the skidim and nautiqueparts web sites.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you aren't getting enough hot air, tell us how the heater is plumbed. There have been some issues that have been resolved by adding a "Y" fitting.

Sorry, getting a little off topic, but the hot water for the heater comes off a "T" from the temp sensor port just behind the thermostat housing, and the return goes to the bottom of the large elbow below the circulation pump. I found I get the best flow here (I've tried block plugs, etc.).

To increase the circulation, I've installed an in-line hot water circulation pump wired to my heater blower switch. These keeps the water flowing when at idle. I have not used a "y" connector plumbed before the raw water pump intake simply because it means that the thermostat will be open more with cool water flowing in to replace the water flowing out through the "Y" connector. It would also mean a slower warm-up, especially during the winter. Not a bad way to increase flow, but the in line pump (while more expensive than a "Y" connector), doesn't change how much cool water enters the engine. Also, we use the engine on our boats to fill a "hot tub", and of course, that causes a lot of cold water to go through the thermostat to replace what's going into the hot tub. If I used a "Y" connector, I'm already further diluting the temperature of the water. I suppose if I had a shut off valve at the "Y" connector, I could shut that flow while I'm filling the hot tub, and then turn it back on.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 4:20am
Had the boat on the lake for 9 hours today...running pretty hard the whole time. It was funny because the temp gauge read 120 degrees when I first started it. That was new. It always started all the way to the left. It then moved up to 180 degrees and stayed there the whole day. The dealer said that when it reads 180 it is really 160. And when I lifted the motor box, it didn't feel hot.

No surging at all.

But I developed a vibration when it's in gear that I don't like one bit. It got progressively worse throughout the day. It starts at around 14 mph and is pretty noticeable through about 25 mph. Any ideas what might cause this?
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 4:57am
Any weeds on the prop? Loose prop shaft coupling? Loose cutless bearing in the strut? Loose prop (bolt)?
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 5:00am
Originally posted by scarbs scarbs wrote:

Had the boat on the lake for 9 hours today...running pretty hard the whole time. It was funny because the temp gauge read 120 degrees when I first started it. That was new. It always started all the way to the left. It then moved up to 180 degrees and stayed there the whole day. The dealer said that when it reads 180 it is really 160. And when I lifted the motor box, it didn't feel hot.

bad gauge, bad sender, wire, ground, or power at dash.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 5:30pm
I looked at the prop this morning. There are no weeds on it. When I try to wiggle the shaft, there does not appear to be any play in the strut/cutlass bearing. But when I wiggled the prop, there was just a little bit. It has a castle nut with a cotter pin and when I hand checked it, i could move the nut back and forth with my fingers as far as the cotter pin would allow. I assume that is not good and could be contributing to the problem?

How tight should the castle nut be? And do I just pull the pin and put a wrench to it and put the pin back in? Funnily enough, I had the prop serviced last year by the same dealer thta I have been dealing with on this temp gauge issue. It was removed, welded, tuned, and replaced. Hmmm...

On the temp issue, the dealer put a new sender in and said all the wiring and ground checked out ok. It did not install the new gauge that I supplied. No idea why not. But I will install the new gauge and recheck the wiring and grounds this weekend.

I know I keep saying this, but seriously, thanks for all of your help. But for you guys, the dealer would have a lot more of my money.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 5:35pm
Pete has an article about proper prop installation:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12866&title=proper-prop-installation

Yeah, that nut shouldn't be loose, but if the prop was fully seated onto the taper, it wouldn't necessarily matter. But, it could be a sign the prop is wiggling around a bit.

I'm curious about the prop repair... if it was ever fully balanced. But, you can confirm that boat had been running smooth since the repair?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 6:29pm
Jared,
Brian said it all!!! He is correct that the nut tightness does not matter if the prop is on correctly. I have seen many props where the nut was loose or even missing. Read the proper prop installation Brian linked.

Two things I suggest you check for the vibration. Shaft straightness and the condition of your damper. Regrettably the damper needs to be checked by pulling the trans and bell housing. By then, you might as well replace it. They are only about $90 and should be replaced I'd say about every 600 hours. Hour many hours are on you engine? Do you know if the damper has ever been replaced? What boat do you have? If it's a V drive, you may have a different problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 6:32pm
GREAT article! Thanks!

I honestly don't know enough about this subject to tell you anything about the prop repai. The prop had a couple of nicks in it...dealer pointed it out to me...I paid the dealer to pull it service it, and put it back on. I have not ever noticed this particular vibration until yesterday. It feels like the vibration that is typical on turns at high speed, but happens at high or low speeds going straight. It usually starts at about 2000-2200 rpm. And I do not recall hitting anything.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 6:45pm
Jared,
Again, what boat do you have?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 7:17pm
1995 Sport Nautique with EFI GT-40.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 7:21pm

1995 Sport Nautique with EFI GT-40.

As long as it's a Sport and not the Super, that rules out a V drive problem creating the vibration.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 7:42pm
Mr. Brainard--so sorry. I didn't see your earlier post about the damper. It is definitely not a super sport. I have only owned the boat for 2 years. But from what i know, the engine has about 675 hours on it. I don't know if the damper has ever been checked or replaced. Sounds like a pretty monster job that is beyond my skill. How many hours should it take a mechanic to replace the damper?

I will definitely start with the shaft and prop though--I watched the tech put the reconditioned prop back on and he just put it on and tightened the nut in the parking lot. But it--seemingly--has been working ok. I had it on a 10-day trip with no problems. Trailered it home (5 hours) and took it in for the temp gangue work. My first day back on the lake was yesterday and it was vibrating from the get go. Not as bad at first and progressively worse throughout the day.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 7:54pm
Jared,
Many here have tackled the damper job with very little mechanical skill levels. It involves disconnecting the prop shaft coupling, the rear trans mounts and loosening the front engine mounts. The two small bottle jacks are placed under the aft end of the exhaust manifolds. They when pumped up will tilt the aft end of the engine up so the bell housing and trans can be removed. The damper is bolted to the flywheel. It's really a pretty simple wrench job. I'd say the R&R can be done in 2 to 3 hours. Less for a mechanic who has done it before. After everything is back in place, then there is the alignment of the engine to the prop shaft. This could take 30 minutes or several hours depending on how much the engine is off. If the alignment is good before you change the damper, then 30 minuets is tops.

How much work have you done on the boat/engine yourself?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 8:05pm
I have not performed any work on the engine--all service and repairs have been performed by either the local (former) Nautique dealer or another mechanic whom a friend recommended. The non-Nautique mechanic is good with marine engines, and fair, but he does not really work on inboards--mostly I/Os.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 9:45pm
Ok, this damper business had me all worried, so (hoping it is the propr, shaft, strut, or cutlass bearing) I went back out to see if I could find any irregularities with any of these items. There just does not appear to be much, if any, movement of the shaft within the strut. But looking closer at the prop, it looks like it may have spilled down the shaft as much as a quarter of an inch. See the picture below. Granted, I do not know what it looked like before, but at some point a prop was definitely about 1/4" farther up the taper. Thoughts?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 10:00pm
Jared,
The only way to tell is to pull the prop and go through the procedure. You may also be able to tell by looking for a gap between the prop bore and the prop shaft. If it did slip, the key is most likely trashed and is what has the prop jammed up on the shaft. Also if slipped, I sure wouldn't go back to that guy who installed the prop. You called him a "tech"???? He didn't lap the prop on did he!!!!

When you get it off, check the keyway in the prop bore real close. If the key is trashed, it may have damaged the keyway as well. It it's not too bad, the lapping will remove any high spots at the keyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 1:10am
Thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 3:48pm
Dial indicator shows that the shaft is straight. The prop spins fairly easily with one hand. I have not pulled the prop yet, but noticed when I was turning the prop that the key is just flopping around inside the key way. I assume this is a problem?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 4:49pm
Jared,
It sounds like the key is chewed up. Pulling the prop will tell. Can you tell yet if the prop in fact is off the taper?

The sloppy key really isn't that big of a problem as long as a prop has a decent fit on it taper. Not much torque goes through the key. Most of it is handled by the taper. I think I referenced a drill press in the "proper prop" thread and used them as an analogy. In a drill press, chucks and tapered shank drill bits all use the taper principal for the torque to handle the drilling.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 5:23pm
That makes sense. I pulled the castle nut and tried to pull the prop off by hand and it would not budge. But when I move it side to side it seems like it's moving on the shaft a hair. I am embarrassed to say that I don't have a prop puller, but I'll go pick one up and pull the prop and lap it back on like you demonstrated in your thread.

I also checked the alignment with a feeler gauge and the alignment appears to be good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 5:29pm
Jared,
Since you have the dial indicator set up, don't forget to check the shaft at the prop taper once the prop is pulled.

Are you going to sent the prop out to a prop rebuilder?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 7:01pm
Yes sir. First thing Monday morning.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 8:28pm
The prop shop confirms that the shaft is straight but the prop is bent. Getting it tuned and should be back in business on Thursday.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 8:36pm

The prop shop confirms that the shaft is straight but the prop is bent. Getting it tuned and should be back in business on Thursday.

Fantastic!! I'm glad it was checked. At least you did it correctly.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2012 at 9:00pm
Thanks for your help and advice. I will look into getting the damper changed this winter given the hours and my lack of knowledge regarding its history. I may even do it myself, but I'm not very comfortable moving the engine around and then being able to get it back into proper alignment again.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 4:42pm
I'm just reading this thread now, and curious for the outcome. Jared, when you got the prop re-installed was the vibration gone? Did you solve the sender/gauge/temp problem?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 4:58pm
The vibration was resolved when I installed the tuned prop. I found a deal on an ACME 422 shortly afterwards and installed it, and it was even smoother. As for the temp issue, sender, thermostat, and gauge were replaced--the gauge reads 180 degrees when warmed up, but the engine is actually 160 degrees (t-stat is 160 degree t-stat). No one is quite sure why it won't read correctly, but from what I've seen, it is not an uncommon issue.

Afterwards, I had one day ruined at the lake because of a fuel delivery issue. Dealer diagnosed as fuel filter and anti-siphon valve. I replaced them along with the rotor, cap, and wires, and it ran beautifully after.

I then sold the boat to an awesome guy in California a couple of weeks ago and bought a 1999 SAN. So I now I get to enjoy getting to know my new boat. Can't wait.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 5:17pm
The whole "gauge reads this, but engine is that" is a crutch for whoever is advising on the thermostat. I'm sure that boat has the wrong stat in it, hopefully the new owner will change it out and the problem will be gone.

Congrats on the new boat! I'm guessing you've got the same engine, GT-40 in it? You should be a bit ahead of the curve now if you have any problems.

Please - it's very important that you leave the dealer and get work done elsewhere, it can't be overstated how incompetent they are and how badly you were treated there.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2012 at 5:33pm
New boat has the Apex 5.7 in it so I get to learn a new motor. But I have another mechanic who is farther away, knows the GM motors really well. He has all of the correct equipment to plug into the computers of the GM motors and went through it for me before I bought the boat and everything checked out.

He also did a lot of the other work on my old boat but was admittedly not as familiar with the GT-40, which is why I tried the dealer for the temp issue.

I actually assumed it was just a temp gauge before taking it in and bought the temp gauge directly from Nautiqueparts.com and gave it to them to install with a new temp sending unit. At first, they were convinced that there was some other issue with the engine because they could not get the temp dialed in. But after testing and retesting all of the water pumps, examining the plugs, performing a compression, and doing whatever else they did, they concluded that the engine was in fantastic condition and was running at exactly the right temperature. They confirmed this using two different manual gauges and two different infrared guns.

Clearly there was some issue with the sender unit communicating with the gauge, but they insisted that they could not figure it out. But I had already been without the boat for several prime weeks and just wanted it out of there and to get out on the lake with my boys. Other than the filter/anti-siphon issue that I mentioned above, it ran great.

And I of course disclosed all of this to the buyer and provided the invoices for the work so he would know what was going on with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic