Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1996 Gt-40 Heat Soak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Captain Ken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1996 Gt-40 Heat Soak
    Posted: July-17-2012 at 11:18am
Twice in the last week I have skied for two hours and then turned the engine off for an hour while we swam. The engine would restart, run slightly rough for about 30 seconds and die. It would not restart. The red light indicating overheating came on for a minute or so, but then went off. The temperature gauge indicated only slightly elevated operating temperatures below 200. I suspect some sort of heat soak problem. When the engine cooled down completely, it ran fine again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:06pm
I checked the impeller in the water pump, the thermostat, and the water strainer. They are all fine.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:39pm
Is the engine actually overheating? It sounds like it's not, right?

I'm thinking this could be a fuel pump relay problem. Are your fuel pumps priming when you turn the key... after it's hot?

Look through this thread, and at the linked spreadsheet, and see if anything clicks:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=1&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 2:09pm
When I turn the key half way, I can hear the low pressure pump come on. Could it be vapor lock? Both days it was 96 degrees out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 2:15pm
I believe Jody has confirmed that some of the early GT40's were in fact susceptible to heat soak. Does your boat have a FCC?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 2:16pm
Yes it does.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 2:17pm
Would you normally hear the high pressure come on as well?

Does this have a Fuel Control Cell? That is supposed to help with vapor lock among other things.

Others could comment more on vapor lock, it's usually dismissed, but at least one experienced guy has said it's possible. Look at Jody's (Fl Inboards) post in this thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21949&title=vapor-lock-fix

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 5:09pm
I telephoned PCM and they say it should not vapor lock if the fuel system is operating properly. They say check for a weak or bad low pressure fuel pump, a restricted fuel filter, or a corroded fuse in the Keep Alive Wire near the battery.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Captain Ken Captain Ken wrote:

I telephoned PCM and they say it should not vapor lock if the fuel system is operating properly. They say check for a weak or bad low pressure fuel pump, a restricted fuel filter, or a corroded fuse in the Keep Alive Wire near the battery.

Ken check this thread out about the "Keep Alive Wire"

"you can make both pumps run by shorting the end terminal of the STO connector to ground (ECC Test connector above relays). You should have 39 +- 3psi with key on engine off and 31 +- 3psi at idle. With the vacuum hose removed at regulator and engine running you should see max pressure mine reads almost 44psi.
I would also check the volume of fuel the low pressure pump puts out."

From the GT40 Fuel Supply Have a look at that thread it goes into some more detail.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 10:05pm
I'm going to chime in since the vapor lock theory was stated. I swear I get in my 96' if I do not lift the doghouse after sets, however it is carb'd. Ill try to make this short. In Arkansas it was hot as heck the first day we were there, made some runs as did the wife, shut it down (did not open the doghouse), sat for about 20-30 min. Went for a run and about 8 seconds in, boat started to bog down but did not die ran fine after a couple minutes. I always lift the doghouse in between sets to help with cooling, but did not this time. After the bog down I lifted the doghouse everytime we shut it down for an extended period of time and never had another issue for the rest of the week, and it got hotter (105,107,etc.) Since then I have had no issued what so ever. Last week, I went for a couple runs and after one of them we shut it down for about 20-30 minutes and I did not lift the dog house. I had a suspicion that the bog might return, as wouldnt you know it, right as I get pulled out of the water gaining speed, she starts to bog down again. Opened the doghouse anytime we stopped after that and never had any issues. Call me crazy, but I believe in the vapor lock theory.

Mark
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 12:55am
Mark, does running your blower during shut downs help the same as lifting the doghouse?
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 9:13am
When I shut down changing skiers I turn the blower on, but usually lift the doghouse when we are going to be sitting for a while. I have never tried the blower for an extended period of time. Kind of puts my mind at ease to really "air" it out after runs. It makes it hot as heck in the boat, but we jump in anyway so no one is really unconfortable from it.
levin
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 1:12pm
Mark, sounds like any kind of restrictions (such as a dirty fuel filter or anti-siphon valve or degrading fuel line) on the SUCTION side of your fuel pump, could create conditions for vapor lock.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:05pm
Update on GT-40 Heat Soak and possible Vapor Lock: I took my boat to the dealer. The low pressure fuel pump tested okay. The fuel filter inside the FCC was very dirty. The line into the FCC was loose. The fuse on the "Keep Alive Wire" was not corroded, but since 1999 PCM recommends re-routing it to the 60 amp breaker at the back of the engine.
1996 CC SN GT-40
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:13pm
Definitely let us know if the fixes help.
levinmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levinmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 11:38pm
Brian, I think your on to something regarding the fuel line. I am almost certain that the fuel line is the original one, so degrading definetly could be an issue. I have cleaned the anti-siphon valve a couple times and have replaced the fuel filter. I guess I will add a new fuel line to the project list. Thanks for the input
levin
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 2:59pm
Hey Ken, do you remember the Valant's from Bellevue with our 1990 red and black Nautique? Just noticed your boat in the for sale here in Dubuque!!!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2012 at 3:00pm
Sorry, not "for sale" but in the diaries!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic