NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vapor lock fix?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vapor lock fix?
    Posted: June-03-2011 at 2:22am
I have a 96 Ski Nautique that seems to have a vapor lock problem. I replaced half the parts on the engine last year and thought it was fixed but it did it again this past weekend.   A couple of people have told me to put wood clothespins on the fuel line....does this really work to dicipate heat in the lines?   It does have metal fuel rails along each bank that could be getting to hot and vaporizing the fuel in the rail lines. Ive also heard some say to wrap the rail lines in aluminum foil to insulate them from the heat...does that work? If niether of these are good solutions then please advise how to get rid of the vapor lock problem?
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3008&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 9:59am
why do you think its vaporlocking all of a sudden, what changed? maybe cure that problem... did you check your anti siphon valve? did someone tell you its vapor locking, if so explain in detail your thoughts on why you may be experiencing vapor lock. im curious cause ive never experienced a VL before
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 10:12am
Paul,
I agree with Eric that it's pretty hard if not impossible to vapor lock a marine engine. You just don't get temps under a dog house like you do under the hood of a car. Do explain the symptoms.

You haven't been listening to the PN gang have you? Clothes pins and aluminum foil?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 12:01pm
I concur, vaporlock schmaperlock, it just doesn't happen.
Take the voodoo dolls of the fuel line.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 1:25pm
What engine do you have?

Is it fuel injected? Is it a Protec engine?

Are you sure you're definitely getting ignition when the boat is not starting? I'd check for spark to make sure.
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:24pm
Its definetly vapor locking, but heres the long story. It has to be a hot day...hence I dont have trouble over the winter. On a hot day if I run it for several hours and get the engine real hot, then park the boat and turn it off for around 45 minutes to an hour, when I go back to start it it will crank, sometimes fire for an instant....but it wont start and run. My take on this....with no wind going through the engine anymore...when parked for a while the heat builds up and the lines get hot and vaporize the fuel. If I open the cover when I park it for a while it doesnt happen. This past time when it happened again we opened up the line to one of the fuel rails on top of the fuel canister, i believe that let the vapor out or air in....we then closed it and the engine started.
   Last summer I replaced both fuel pumps, the ignition coil, the thermostat, the anti-siphone valve / fuel pickup, distributor cap, ifnition control relays, and a few other things I cant remember trying to get rid of this problem, and like you thinking it couldnt be a vapor lock....but sadly at this point....I think it is.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3008&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:26pm
Oh and yes its fuel injected...multipoint...hence the metal fuel rails on each side.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 4:51pm
you should have a return line going back to the tank, and the high pressure pump should push all the air (vapor) back to the tank?
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 8:21pm
are you running Ethanol in the gas?
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

1998 Super Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by paul96cc paul96cc wrote:

and like you thinking it couldnt be a vapor lock....but sadly at this point....I think it is.

I'm having this problem on my Jeep when towing.I always thought that with fuel injection it could not happen.Years ago the fix for cars was to put in an electric pump near the tank as it would push the fuel thru,basically what fuel injection is today. On my Jeep it turns out that the #3 injector vaporlocks and there is a TSB out to put an insulator on the injector body to help with the heat soak. Have you tried different gas brands or do you buy from the same place all the time?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 8:53pm
No ethanol as far as I know...I buy regular medium grade fuel for the boat. Also I believe the fuel return line is for if the canister is recieving more fuel then its pumping....I dont think it returns air to the tank when the engine is turned off, in fact I would thing the check valve would act as a seal for the system and would actually prevent that from happening with the engine off.
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 8:58pm
I do sometimes get the gas from chevron and a local corner station. The gas dock on the lake I dont know if it has ethenol or not....would ethanol cause these issues in some way? If so please explain?
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 9:00pm

No ethanol as far as I know...I buy regular medium grade fuel for the boat. Also I believe the fuel return line is for if the canister is recieving more fuel then its pumping....I dont think it returns air to the tank when the engine is turned off, in fact I would thing the check valve would act as a seal for the system and would actually prevent that from happening with the engine off.

I had a similar problem a few years ago although I though it was a fuel delivery issue (pump or carb). I asked my mechanic who told me Ethanol has a much lower boiling point than gasoline and can cause a vapor lock symptoms. I ran the old gas out, replaced it with non-E gas and it never happened again.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2011 at 9:02pm
He also recommended Star-brite Startron additive when I couldn't find regular gas. I've been using it ever since.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 11:38am
i recently took 2 samples of eth gas and non eth gas, put them in a cup, after 4 days, the eth cup is half full or for some half empty. the other glass is still just a little shy of full
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2011 at 11:40am
its very possible under a heated situation that the eth will evaporate at a much quicker rate and cause this problem.
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2011 at 10:30pm
OK, so I just read that most gas is now 10% ethanol. So lets assume that is what im getting, I still have the vapor lock issue...any ideas on how to get rid of it?
Jones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 12:33am
I always start at the bottom first and work my way up. Get some Startron additive and if after a few gallons it does not fix the problem, move on to carburation.
1979 Ski Nautique (sold)

1997 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 1:10am

On a hot day if I run it for several hours and get the engine real hot, then park the boat and turn it off for around 45 minutes to an hour, when I go back to start it it will crank, sometimes fire for an instant....but it wont start and run.

Paul - If it was me I would just raise the dog house & let it cool off when you have it moored.

You could spend a bunch of money chasing this one down. Might be the nature of the beast. . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 10:05am
run the blower on the hard runs?
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 11:25am
What is the fuel pressure reading? That system is a full flow system. The pumps supply fuel to the rail and back to the tank through the return line. The fuel regulator keeps the required fuel pressure in the rail by diverting some fuel back the the tank. If the pump doesn't supply enough pressure the regulator will not open and the fuel in the rail may vaporize. The fuel pressure must be in spec for the system to work properly.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 11:37am
One of the better basic EFI Fuel System Diagnostic articles... Yes it is from an auto tech publication but there is lots here to be learned.

Basic EFI Fuel System Analysis

Go With The Flow:

BASIC FUEL SYSTEM ANALYSIS

by Motor Magazines John Thompson

You can Google: "Motor Magazine" + "Fuel Pump" or "Motor Magazine" + "Fuel system" for more articles.

Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 12:09pm
Reading a few Jeep forums (Pirate4x4 and Jeepsunlimited) it sounds like the Jeep main vapor lock symptom is rough idle at start up (Hot soak) and not no Start. This is partially solved with insulating the injectors from heat.

An interesting read on the Jeep TSB / Vapor locking....

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...ght=hesitating

and here is the tsb:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuel System - Hot Start Misfire/MIL ON/DTC's/Rough Idle

NUMBER: 18-031-03

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: Sep. 05, 2003

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-027-02, DATED SEPTEMBER 06, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ********S HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
4.0L Rough Engine Idle After Restart Following A Hot Soak

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves the installation of a fuel injector insulator sleeve.

MODELS:
2000-2004 (TJ) Wrangler (Domestic and International Markets)
1999-2004 (WJ) Grand Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)
2001-2004 (WG) Grand Cherokee (International Market)
2000-2001 (XJ) Jeep Cherokee (Domestic and International Markets)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 4.0L engine (sales code = ERH)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Customers may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted following a prior 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32°C (90°F) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content. Depending upon various conditions a MIL may occur due to DTC P0303 - Cylinder # 3 Misfire.

This condition may be caused by heat from the exhaust manifold that following engine shut down migrates to the area around injector # 3 and causes fuel vapor to form within the injector. This in turn may cause a momentary misfire of cylinder # 3 until the fuel vapor is cleared of injector # 3. The insulator sleeve lowers the injector # 3 temperature to a point below which the fuel will not normally vaporize.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. If vehicle exhibits a rough idle, and if a misfire of cylinder # 3 is observed following a 10 to 20 minute hot soak, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Cut insulator sleeve, p/n 56028371AA, to make two (2) insulator sleeves about 25-30 mm (1 in.) in length.

2. Install one sleeve around injector # 3, with the slit on the upward facing side of the injector. Install the other sleeve with the slit on the downward facing side of the injector.

3. Confirm sleeve is flush to intake manifold surface around injector.

4. Check injector # 3 wire and ensure that the injector is rotated to a 2 o'clock position (from driver's side of vehicle).
Michael ....    

I'm the black sheep ~ 1984 Dixie 299 Super Skier (350 Chev PCM / counter rotation / Velvet drive) Open Bow.
Whitfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

The pumps supply fuel to the rail and back to the tank through the return line.

Some marine EFI Fuel systems only loop the fuel return back to the filter (Recirculating heated fuel). What does your do?

A true back to tank return may be helpful in reducing fuel rail temps by getting the hot fuel out and pumping cool fuel in. Especially with a fuel pump prestart switch to circulate in cool fuel before start up.    

Also I've seen some marine EFI systems with the high psi pump external at the fuel / water seperator. EEEEK! LEaK! KaBOOOM!! ~
Michael ....    

Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2011 at 8:02pm
For those of you that say a EFI marine motor will not vapor lock are out to lunch! We have had many a problem with vapor lock particulary this time of the year. in some areas winter time fuel supply's are still being used. combine that with higher then usual air temps and a situation for vapor lock can occur. ways of diminishing the problem are to buy fuel from quality vendors such as Texaco, Shell or any of the big company's. Mom and pop gas stations tend to purchase low grade fuel that have been known to cause a vapor lock situation. Did anyone ask where in the country this problem is occcuring? elevation?
We fought this problem with the first EFI motors until PCM came out with the FCC. The FCC did not totally cure the situation but greatly dimished the problem. other causes are low performing fuel pumps or hoses that have become brittle. also the delivery hose inside the FCC can be a problem. Anti syphon valves need to be cleaned and inspected.
a quick way to get your motor running when the problem arises is to pour lake water over the low pressure pump this will cool down the pump and alow it to push cool fuel back into the FCC where the high pressure pump can pick it up and evacuate the vaporised fuel back to the tank.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 5:13am
Update: It happened again. After being turned off for a while it will fire but wont run. For the second time I loosened one of the outs to the fuel rails on top of the fuel canister, I leave it loosened for about ten seconds...some fuel leaks out the top, then I tighten it back down. After doing this the boat starts and runs. Can anyone explain why this seems to fix it? All I can think of is that the vaporized fuel is getting pushed back from the rails into the fuel canister so that the electric fuel pump in the canister is pushing air and not fuel....and loosening the fuel line on the top lets the vapor out???
The only part I didnt replace last summer was the fuel regulator...could that be the problem? I dont really understand what the fuel regulator does....but a post above made it sound as if maybe the reulgator may be the problem?? Any ideas?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 10:15am
the regulator will maintain or regulate your fuel pressure, if the spec calls for lets say 50-60 psi, it must be within that range, thats where a fuel pressure gauge comes in handy. somewhere on that rail there should be a schrader valve to tap into to check your pressure. im not up to date on the Ford regulators, but the Chevy regulators seem to be troublesome and will cause similar problems to what your describing. what bothers me is why all of a sudden and not from the get go? this may be one of those times of being a parts swapper and trying a regulator if you dont want to invest in a fuel pressure gauge, maybe one of the pumps doesnt like the heat and its dead heading and siezing the pump and when you releave the pressure it decides to work again??? who knows? really though, to troubleshoot this problem you are going to have to invest in a psi gauge, im crystal balling and so are you, put a gauge in line and see what happens and i think you will narrow down the problem, that pressure has to be there for those injectors to pop
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 11:19am
I'm having a problem understanding what your loosening. Could you take some pics of what your describing as an out.
And also pics of your pumps.
afd414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afd414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2011 at 1:49pm
I have a left field question for you. when this happens next, you should open the fuel fill cap for the tank and try to start it. If your tank is either creating vacuum or pressure due to not breathing correctly, you would get these symptoms. I know my hot rod did this when the vented fuel cap went bad and made me pull my hair out.
www.mcfeeandnewton.com
paul96cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul96cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2011 at 3:06am
Yes I agree about the gas cap....I think one of you suggested that earlier and I was going to try that too but forgot. Next time I will try pulling off the gas cap first and see if that helps. As far as the fuel pressure gauge...I have a neighbor that seems to have every tool known to man...Ill see if he has one I can borrow. In the mean time like to price the regulator but not finding it on nautiqueparts.com or discount inboard marine....any idea where I can get one? Is the dealer the only place?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic