Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

vibrations

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vibrations
    Posted: July-16-2012 at 10:52pm
I have an 89 2001 Ski Nautique. It shakes/vibrates occasionally when I put it in reverse. It also does it when I first put it in gear going forward - engine is definitely not warmed up yet when it happens. It does it a couple of times at first going forward then is smooth for the rest of the outing. But in reverse it happens periodically throughout the outing.   I do have some nicks on my prop but I would think it would cause vibrations all the time if that was causing it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2012 at 10:58pm
How many hours and has the damper ever be changed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 12:36am
Is the prop tight on the shaft? Mine was loose & let me know it in reverse!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:40am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I think around 1000. I just bought the boat about a month ago so I don't know if the damper has been changed.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:43am

I can tell someone has been inside the tranny before - maybe during engine swap/rebuild but don't know anything else about it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 8:32am
I like Chris's idea. Check the prop to see if it's on it's taper. If loose, then I sure would pull it an go through the lapping procedure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 11:51am
what is engine speed when you first engage fwd or reverse?? if it's pretty low (<500 RPM) that can cause some vibration.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:35pm

I like Chris's idea. Check the prop to see if it's on it's taper. If loose, then I sure would pull it an go through the lapping procedure.

The prop is tight last time I checked it but I will check it again once I get home. There is this 1/64-1/32 wiggle room in the shaft in the back brace (don't know the name of it). I'm guessing that is pretty normal.

Here's my prop - it is hard to see the knicks on it. This blade is the worst.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

what is engine speed when you first engage fwd or reverse?? if it's pretty low (<500 RPM) that can cause some vibration.

Engine speed is usually pretty low when it vibrates but not always. Not sure on the RPMs though. I'll pay attention to that next time I go out.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 2:39pm
you may just need a tune up/idle adjustment.
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 3:16pm
That prop needs to GO! Can't be good for the drivetrain running that thing can it?
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

That prop needs to GO! Can't be good for the drivetrain running that thing can it?

Yea the prop is beat up a little. Not sure I can afford a new one. I wonder if I can work on it myself. File it down and smooth it out. How much does it usually cost to have one repaired? I wonder if it got beat up by PO by driving it on the trailer. The prop will hit the support or guard of the trailer if you spin the prop by hand. I noticed that and so I float it on the trailer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2012 at 4:01pm
You have a bad cutlas bearing in the strut if you have the 1/64" to 1/32" wiggle. With the bad prop, I'm sure you are getting shaft vibration.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:20pm
You have to take the rudder off and take the shaft out to change that right? I've read some posts on how to do that but still don't have a good picture of how it is done. Step by step instructions and some pictures or drawings would help. Sorry...I'm really new to inboards.

What else should be changed while the shaft is out? And what else should I consider in the process (i.e., upgrades, etc.)

Can anybody give me an estimate on prop repair? Need to know ballpark so I don't want to gouged by someone.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 4:32pm
Shaft out, yes. Rudder out, no.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:12pm
I got an estimate of $125 to repair prop with a 3-4 day turn around. Is that reasonable?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by teelta teelta wrote:

I got an estimate of $125 to repair prop with a 3-4 day turn around. Is that reasonable?

Yes that sounds like the going price. Typically they will want to inspect the prop and confirm the price. If the damage is real bad but still reparable, then the cost may go up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2012 at 7:33pm
OK thanks...

I've read some posts on how to get the shaft out but still don't have a good picture of how it is done. Step by step instructions and some pictures or drawings would help. Sorry...I'm really new to inboards.

What else should be changed while the shaft is out? And what else should I consider in the process (i.e., upgrades, etc.)?
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:57pm
I got an estimate on replacing cutlass bearing. Mechanic said he would take off the strut rather than take out the shaft. That sounds a little easier to me as long as the strut gets lined back up right. Is this an acceptable way to replace the cutlass bearing? or just a lazy mechanic? :) How hard is it to get the strut lined back up?
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 9:58pm
I got an estimate on replacing cutlass bearing. Mechanic said he would take off the strut rather than take out the shaft. That sounds a little easier to me as long as the strut gets lined back up right. Is this an acceptable way to replace the cutlass bearing? or just a lazy mechanic? :) What is involved in getting the strut lined back up?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:04pm
Trey,
Ether method is fine and each has it's pros and cons. Getting the shaft out can be a PITA but you don't loose the strut alignment. Taking the strut off you can loose the alignment. When he puts the strut back on, he should unbolt the coupling halves and make sure the shaft is happy (turns freely) when the strut is tightened up. He may find shims under the strut and those should go back in. While he's into it, I highly recommend he checks the shaft to engine alignment.

WHY are you not doing this yourself????

BTW, remove your double post.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:40pm
Sorry for the double post - it was by accident. Tried to delete - couldn't figure out how though.

I am considering doing this myself - just a bit intimidated by the shaft removal and/or alignment prospect. Plus I'm having hard time finding clear instructions on how to do it.
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2012 at 10:59pm
Actually I think I understand the process pretty well. What I need more is...what do I need to replace or consider while in the process (i.e, upgrades, shaft seal, etc)...still intimidated by the shaft/ strut alignment :)
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 12:15am
Got the prop off and will be off for repair soon. I put a dial indicator on the shaft - I wanted to see if the shaft is wobbly or bent. Is it pointless to put a dial indicator on there with a bad cutlass bearing because I got .012 movement from rotation in front of the bearing and .006 after? I could get that much movement just by moving the shaft up and down. This is without the prop on.

What is the torque on the bolts for the strut? and what about coupler?

Should this collar be there? It has 2 set screws in it. If so, what is it's purpose?

Also, any suggestions on how to get these fins straight?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2012 at 9:56am
Trey,
Even with a bad cutlass, you should be able to get a good idea if there is a shaft problem just by holding the shaft to one side of the cutlass bearing.

That collar is the safety collar. It's there so if you break the shaft or it comes out of the coupling you won't loose the shaft plus the prop won't hit the rudder.

Yes, the fins can be straightened. The best way is off the boat in a press but I do know some have straightened them on the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 1:16am

Uncoupled the shaft and found the key sticking out like this. Does it supposed to be like that?

The fins are cast brass right? Do they need to be heated before bending?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 9:35am
Trey,
That key should be all the way in the shaft keyway but worse, it looks like you are losing the shaft in the coupling. It was ether not installed properly or due to bad alignment the shaft and coupling have fretted. Was there a black smut around the interface btween the coupling and the shaft? It's a good indicator of fretting. That coupling fit to the shaft is critical. It's a heat shrink .000" to -.0005" fit. I suggest removing the coupling and getting some measurements on the shaft OD and coupling bore. You may need a new coupling and have it bored to match the shaft. The straightness of the shaft needs to be checked as well. It should not run out more than .003". Check at the prop taper too especially since the prop is bad.

When you opened up the coupling, did you take the feeler gauges out and check the alignment?

Some heat may be needed and wouldn't hurt on the cast brass but it's not always needed. Think about it this way - they bent when they were in cold water!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 12:07pm
Thanks Pete. There was no black smut when I disconnected. The shaft end goes all the way (flush) to the end (inside) of the coupler. Does it supposed to go further past the coupler? I wonder if the pic is deceptive to the eye. The shiny part in the middle is the end of the shaft not the inside of the coupler.

No I didn't put feeler gauge on the coupler when I opened it up. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a new shaft. I got up to .030 run out in some sections. Can it be straightened or do I buy new one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 12:21pm
Trey,
Sorry but the picture must be deceptive since it does look like the shaft has slid aft in the coupling. The shaft only needs to be flush with the inside face of the coupling.
Some have had good luck with shaft straightening others have not. There are times when the shaft wants to go back to the bent position.
If you do go new, I highly recommend the ARE double taper system. The taper at the couplng makes R&Ring the shaft easy. No heat shrink which can be a PITA.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:30pm
Yea, I'll definitely go ARE - not much difference in price anyway.

I dropped the rudder. When I'm ready to put it back in can I just put it back in there or do I need to adjust (tighten) the packing nut? Should I go ahead and replace the rope in there or leave it alone?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic