NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

vibrations

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:50pm
Trey,
When you put ether the old straightened shaft or the ARE shaft in, you'll need to do an alignment. Remember alignment starts at the trut. Pay real close attention to it as it may be bent - shafts don't bend by themselves so I wonder if the strut took a hit too.

As long as the shaft is out, you might as well put a new cutlas bearing in plus it's bad anyway.

Packing in the stuffing box is optional but if you do go with the ARE, I'd repack it with the Gortex. That of course needs to be done after the shaft is installed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ThatNautiqueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 2:51pm
I am finding all this highly educational since I hit a stump on the lake a few weeks ago in my 75 Ski Nautique. I have massive vibration... cannot go over 4mph. prop bent, strut bent and I believe the shaft is as well. I have restored this boat and it is awesome. Wanting to sell it now and move on to my next project. If you guys know of anyone that might be interested let me know... Also thanks for the info guys.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:01pm
JB,
Struts can be straightened. Some here have done it themselves with the aid of a press and others have sent them out. Many prop shops will do it since they know how to deal with the brass.

When the time comes to put it all back together, you may find the alignment video in the forums "new" section (about 3/4s the way down the page) helpful.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:05pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:06pm
Thanks Peter... I plan on straightening the strut myself with my press. Going to get the prop fixed in Hot Springs. Do you think all this should be fixed before sale?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:13pm
Awesome video. I know now mine is bent. I dry started it (yes I know thats a big no no) for about 5 seconds and you can see a visible wobble in the end of the shaft I would say about 1/4 inch. We both know... not good.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by ThatNautiqueGuy ThatNautiqueGuy wrote:

Do you think all this should be fixed before sale?

JB,
If you are planning on selling the boat, fix the problem. Anyone looking at it and most likely wanting a water test, will want a BIG $$$$ discount in it's present condition. I'm sure way beyond what you put into it with the repair.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:36pm
What is your recommendation for the best place to buy the shaft system?
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:44pm
CorrectCraftParts...1-318-299-8547... Karen
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

CorrectCraftParts...1-318-299-8547... Karen

JB,
I agree.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNautiqueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 3:58pm
Sweet! Thanks guys!
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Trey,
When you put ether the old straightened shaft or the ARE shaft in, you'll need to do an alignment. Remember alignment starts at the trut. Pay real close attention to it as it may be bent - shafts don't bend by themselves so I wonder if the strut took a hit too.

As long as the shaft is out, you might as well put a new cutlas bearing in plus it's bad anyway.

Packing in the stuffing box is optional but if you do go with the ARE, I'd repack it with the Gortex. That of course needs to be done after the shaft is installed.

The strut looks straight. Could the bad cutlass bearing and bad prop cause the bent shaft?

The bearing is on its way as is the Gortex 3/16".

Putting the RUDDER back in do I need to tighten the packing nut or leave it alone?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by teelta teelta wrote:

Could the bad cutlass bearing and bad prop cause the bent shaft?

No

Putting the RUDDER back in do I need to tighten the packing nut or leave it alone?

Yes, adjust the packing gland on the rudder port.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:10pm
Trey,
When you install the new shaft with the new cutlas in the strut, you will be able to tell if the stut is bent or needs to be aligned. Again, alignment starts at the strut. It's aligned so the shaft is roughly in the middle of the shaft log and when the shaft turns freely.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2012 at 5:43pm
Pete, got it! Thanks so much for your help!!!!
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 8:24pm
Got my new cutlass bearing in the mail. I slide on the shaft and it is a very loose fit. I can easily spin it on the shaft without any lube. I thought it would be snug. There is maybe a little less than 1/64 slop in it. I got the BACK model from Deep Blue. Is this normal?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2012 at 8:33pm
Trey,
Some will be taken up when it's pressed into the strut but, get the micrometer out (or vernier calipers) and measure the prop shaft where the cutlass rides.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 2:59pm
I put a micrometer on the shaft where you said and it read right at an inch. Put shaft on lathe and measured run out in several spots. I got 9-12 thousandths. So I guess I'm in the marketmarket for a new shaft. I took off the strut - glad I did. It was loose. When reattaching do you put 5200 in between strut and hull? If so, how do you factor that in when doing the alignment? I also noticed some stress cracks in this area. I think it is just gelcoat and not the fiberglass. Will post pic later.

Will I need to lap the new shaft for prop?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2012 at 3:26pm
Trey,
It's typical for shafting to run a thousands or two over in diameter. Your's may be worn slightly. Get the new shaft and measure it when you get it. It should run fairly close to the new cutlass bearing. Report back. I suggest the ARE shaft system. They are about the same cost and they sure are easy to R&R. Give Billy or Karen a call for the ARE. 318 386 2825

Don't worry about the 5200 bedding under the strut. It's not thick enough to make a difference in the shaft alignment to the log.

Yes, whenever you change out a prop or shaft, I suggest lapping. In fact, I even like to lap even if the prop has been on the same shaft before. You never know if the prop rebuild force changed it's tapered bore slightly. Many of the prop shops will run a tapered reamer in the bore after they pound on the prop but not all will. Even so, lap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2012 at 11:20am
You might try to straighten your shaft - I was able to do that & it had a similar runout.

When you remount the strut, dry fit it 1st, then add sealant. I'd suggest 4200 because it is easier to remove down trhe road.

I found small cracks in the hull around the strut area (on inside) so check for those carefully. I added some glass to reinforce that area.

Good luck
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 8:14pm
I might have installed the wrong cutlass bearing! The one I pulled out was 6". The one I got based on other posts was the BACK model from Deep Blue which is only 4". It does not even reach the 2nd retaining screw in the strut. Of course, I didn't realize the difference until I pressed the bearing into the strut!!! Did I get the wrong one for my strut?

Here is a pic of the cracks in the gelcoat (the dark lines outside the recess). I didn't see any on top in the fiberglass but it is pretty dirty - will need to clean.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 8:25pm
Trey,
Clean up the inside of the bilge and check for cracking there. The 4" will work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 8:45pm

Trey,
Clean up the inside of the bilge and check for cracking there. The 4" will work.

Do I push it in more to catch both retaining screws or just use the one? Does it supposed to have the 6" in there?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2012 at 9:01pm

Trey,

Do I push it in more to catch both retaining screws or just use the one? Does it supposed to have the 6" in there?

Keep the cutlass at the aft end. That's where the radial lods from the prop are on the shaft.

Fill in some info in your profile I as well as others would love to hear about your engineering background/ No problem if there is none but radial loads at the strut are as basic as you can get!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 1:59am
That makes sense! No engineering background but do know something about restoration...

Just new to boat restoration!    

Thanks for the help and for the lessons!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2012 at 9:44am
Trey,
The prop on a boat creates a radial load on the shaft it is mounted to. The closer to that radial load you can support the shaft with a bearing the better. It's called an overhung load. A good example is a gearbox with a sprocket or sheave on it's input or output shaft. The farther out the spocket or sheave is mounted away from the box the more overhung load. Gerarbox specs even spec out the permissible OH loading.

Great job on the Bronco!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
teelta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 1:03am
OK cleaned up the bilge area. Saw some tiny hairline cracks that seem surface level to me. Do you concur?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 8:56am
Yes, those do look like they are just in the gel. If you want, you could route them out with the Dremel to be sure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:43am
Just replaced my shaft and coupling and put a new prop on. The coupling on mine was causing a vibration noise at slow idle sounded like the tranny was chattering. Realigned everything it’s like a new boat no vibration at all. Your prop definitely needs repaired. So while you got it all apart I would replace the coupler and shaft (ARE SHAFT) if you don’t want to take a chance to straighten the old one. Was well worth the time and effort. I’m going to see if I can straighten the old shaft. A guy I know can straighten axle shafts, just seeing if it can be done
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
Airgrabber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airgrabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2012 at 11:51am
Nice early Bronco. I have a 1970 with 42,000 mile on it. Love those old styles. Did you just buy that? I thought I seen that Bronco on Ebay.
Life is good. Work hard! Play Hard!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic