Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

external resistor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: external resistor
    Posted: June-13-2012 at 2:56pm
Hi there,

My external ballast resistor failed on my '74 SN. I was able to find one locally, it is 1.6ohms of resistance. Is this correct? I know that discount inboard marine sells one for this boat, but I'm not sure what the resistance is on that one. The boat seems to run just fine now, so i think the spark is plenty hot enough. I am getting a reading of about 4-5 volts at my coil, is that normal???
74SkiNautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2012 at 7:54pm
Chris,
The 4 to 5 seems pretty low. Nominally (depends on input volts IE: if the alternator is putting out charging the battery or not) it's around 9 volts to the coil. Ohms law is consistent so, if you want to take the 12-13 volts down to the 9, the ohm value is the same. Get one from Skidim or your local auto supply. BTW, you didn't by chance get that 1.6 at Autozone did you??     Where did you read the 4 to 5 from? If you went from the + and - side of the coil, that's wrong. Check between the + and the - block. The resistance of the primary winding in the coil can screw up the reading. Some meters will read it.

Hey, at least the boat is running!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2012 at 3:27am
I put my 12v meter on the Positive lead of my coil. And hooked my ground up to the block, with the engine running i get about 4-5 volts. I thought its supposed to be around 9. The coil feels pretty warm, but im not sure how that is supposed to feel. I got the resistor at a Fisher auto/marine shop by my lake. its the only one he had, and it was a 1.6ohm resistor. My coil checked out okay, both on the primary and seconday tests.
74SkiNautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic