NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 correct craft purchase help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 correct craft purchase help
    Posted: April-30-2012 at 10:41am
Hi there,

It's time to go to the experts! I have never owned an inboard before and love this correct craft on eBay. Can someone tell me what to look for as a newbie for this type of boat and give me a rough purchase value. I am going to try to get it for 3500.

Any common problems to be aware of? I am buying it for a family boat with two young kids who would love to be pulled around.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-CORRECT-CRAFT-MARTINIQUE-?cmd=ViewItem&item=320893700342

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:01am
Dave - Hate to burst your bubble, but that boat either already needs, or will soon need, new wood stringers. Being an open bow, that repair will be very difficult & expensive. I would look for a boat that is 1993 or newer - those don't have wood stringers.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:05am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:10am
Of course the 93 or newer is at least $11 grand. Is the boat near you that you could check it out? Search out Tims video on checking for stringer rot. the boat could go a few to several years before needing stringers, probably long enough to get $3500 of entertainmnent out of it, then you could restore it, sell it or part it out and get your money back
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:12am
Thanks. I am reading all about stringers on the site. The bubble is gone! The boat is 2 hours away from me and the auction is almost done. I will call the owner to see if he knows the difference between stringers and string cheese. Maybe he has had them checked out.. It's a reach at best.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:34am
Thanks! I just saw Tim's video and am back on the wagon. Thanks to Tim for an awesome little tour of stringers.

The interior seems so clean is seems worth a trip!

Let's assume the boat checks out and the stringers seem solid, motor runs well, etc.?? Is the price fair?

Thanks again for everything!!
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 2:22pm
I just spoke to the owner. He had some floor work done around the front bench and put in captain chairs around 2 years ago. Apparently, the stringers were super solid per the repair person. The guys seems very honest and will let me check out stringers when I get there.

He did mention some spider cracks in the gel coat. Is this normal for the age of the boat? I assume yes, but want to make sure.

Thanks again all. I may be a new/old boat owner very soon.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 2:25pm
IMO, if you get that boat for $3500, you might get locked up for stealing. Knock on wood (pun intended) my '85, with 1800 hours on it, is giving us loads of fun with questionable stringers. There is lots of discussion about stringer rot, but if a boat is properly protected and stored, stringers do not have to rot. There are plenty of soft stringers and floors out there, but it's not always the case.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 2:59pm
LOL... that's kind of what I'm thinking tullfooter! The price is right and if it's solid, I'm on it. Don't go sniping my bid. :)
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 3:59pm
If you have the owners # and can let the auction run out (no one has bid yet with 4 hrs to go) Arrainge to go check out the boat. If he is anxious to sell you may save a grand. Don't buy a paint job. If you like the boat, go for a ride, bring a mechanic or a knowledgable friend to look past the excitement your seeing. If it floats and does everything right make an offer, if the friend says walk away, walk. There are and always will be others.

There are two happy days in a boat owners life.... The day he buys a boat and the day he sells one. Take your time.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 4:00pm
there is a big difference between a little rot and the boat falling apart. There are many stringers that are wet and are beginning to mold but honestly if cared for the boat could make it another 10 years. If you get for 3500 and get ten years of use out of it, it was a good buy.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 4:20pm
I wish I could get a mechanic out there with me, but I don't have one. I'm pretty handy and check it out for the most part. I do need to take my time, but I am not the patient type. I actually just decided I need a boat yesterday as I was out with a friend. We are not skiers, but do enjoy the water. A top of some sort will also have to be in our future for the boat (bimini). This just seems like too good of a deal to pass up right now.

It sits winterized and the owner will get me on the lake once I get past the inspection. I'm going to make a deal directly with him.
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 4:58pm
Look for any signs of anything leaking, water, oil, trans, and ask as many questions as you can no matter how trivial they sound. Write them down beforhand do you don't forget any. See how knowledgable the owner is about his boat then make your offer. good luck
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 8:28pm
Dave - Good luck on this, just wanted you to know about the stringers - we don't like seeing a new boat owner find out he has a major repair right away (had one last week).

There may be a site member close to the seller who could look at it with you. You might want to title a new thread asking about that town.

Ben Franklin
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2012 at 11:48pm
Thanks for the advice Snobsessed! I go see the boat in the AM. If I have any hesitation, I walk. I watched the video 3 times and am going to pull up the removable floor as the video suggests and do some knocking. Nobody bid on the boat so I'm good for a lower offer if need be, although, I think the price seems pretty darn good.

My latest hesitation/concern is the lack of reverse capabilities a inboard provides. I suck at backing up to begin with. I hope I can get used to the bump in a hurry or my new boat experience is going to be super ugly. Anybody have some warm and fuzzies about switching from an outboard / deck boat to a ski boat and maneuverability?
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:34am
Boat looks like a good deal! you will not have a problem with the reverse.It will take a few times to get used to it. Just dont go into docks or other boats with any speed and you will be ok.
83Ski
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 12:46am
Is it possible to get a bimini top for the boat made? Sorry that I'm all over the place with this post. I keep coming up with last minute thoughts. :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 1:06am
Yes, the bimini can be procured new for about $300. You might also find one used - the one for my boat is up in the garage rafters, doesn't fit with our extended pylon.

Good luck.

Inboards are much cooler than outboards - you won't miss the noisy sputtering, smoke-generator.

Ben Franklin
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 3:58am
Are these boats good cruisers as well as ski boats? I will be cruising and coving about 95% of the time and doing very little skiing/tubing/wake-boarding. I just love the thought of the power/rumble of the engine, the awesome seating arrangement, and the swim platform for the kids. Pulling the kids will come later as they get older (4 and 2 now).

Oh well... excited but scared! Good night!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:20am
Dave,
Reverse in an inboard is just a matter of getting used to it and knowing about the prop walk they al do. I have driven inboards all my life and feel very comfortable with them in a reverse situation.

Yes, you can use the boat for cruising but it does depend on the size of the lakes you are on.

Good luck today.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:41am
I'm on falls lake in North Carolina and Bugs Island / Kerr Lake in NC as well. Thanks all!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 10:50am
Dave - One of the great things about these classic inboards is that you can fix everything yourself, except maybe the tranny. Very low maintenance costs.

Ben Franklin
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 7:43pm
Bought the boat for $3500. I'm in love so far... pics and issues to follow.

The floor had a bouncy spot between the captain chairs almost in the bow. I knocked on the stringers and everything seemed super solid. The gas is a little stinky from the lack of use last year and being winterized in October, but the boat started right up in one turnover. It was awesome!

I can't wait to give it a shake down on the water. hopefully soon if I can just stop working for a day. :)
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:02pm

Congrats on your new boat. A 87 Martinique will handle Kerr Lake great when the lake gets a little choppy.
I'd like to have one when we're on the main lake at Gaston as well but we spend most of the time on Pea Hill Creek.
I keep saying were going to Kerr for the day but it aint happened yet.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:06pm
Congratulations! I feel for the price, you got a great deal.

Regarding that bouncy spot, time will tell but sometimes you do need to wonder about the "repair" guys out there!

Originally posted by Mebirkle Mebirkle wrote:

I just spoke to the owner. He had some floor work done around the front bench and put in captain chairs around 2 years ago. Apparently, the stringers were super solid per the repair person. .

That spot is very prone for rot problems. I'd say the repair was a piece of ply screwed down where he could get the screws to bite. Just keep an eye on it and go boating!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:12pm
I'll be watching that spot like a hawk!

Is there an easy way to drain the stinky gas out of the tank? I don't imagine there is a drain hole and there is a mechanical fuel pump. I don't want to have any ethanol damage to start my life off with this boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:24pm
Get one of those inexpensive plastic fuel siphons with the pump on one end to start the action.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 8:39pm
I have found that acouple of feet of tubing and a primer bulb from an outboard works great and is a cheap way to do it ( mr. Cheapskate hear )
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:29pm
Congrats on the "new" boat. You will love having an inboard, turning in reverse is over rated compared to what you can do in the opposite direction.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 9:46pm
Nice job and Congrats. I posted on your other thread about trying to help you out. I will at Lake Jordan on Thur, if I can help.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic