Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 correct craft purchase help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:21am
Sorry a little new at this!!!!!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Mebirkle Mebirkle wrote:

Thanks Snosessed. Is there a pic of the RWP? I would be happy to just tune the whole motor just in case as parts are generally inexpensive (yep, I will eat those words soon enough)

Here is a picture of a RWP - this one was out of alignment, hopefully yours is better aligned.

You can get a tune up kit from SkiDim or My Correct parts for $25. You definitely need a timing light, dwell meter is good but doing accurate feeler gaging only is a 2nd choice.

For a quick fix, you could run a nail file past the points to clean them up a bit. Check the advance weights (under the breaker plate) too make sure they are free & the springs aren't broken or rusty. One spring is supposed to be loose.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:00pm
I am on the anti-siphon valve now. Does the whole shaft have to be pulled from the top of the tank? I have the valve piece still on the line which I think is the only piece I care about. How can I tell if it bad? I cant blow in it. I guess it's barbed so I may have to cut the hose to get it free. I can shake it and hear the bearing in it rattle an no gunk on visual inspection.
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:16pm
Dave,
If you can get the hose of the barb, it would be best so you can check the other side of the ball check for junk as well. However, from your description (can't blow in it, no gunk and it rattles) it sounds like it's good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave,
If you can get the hose of the barb, it would be best so you can check the other side of the ball check for junk as well. However, from your description (can't blow in it, no gunk and it rattles) it sounds like it's good.

Gunk free. I used brake cleaner and blew it out. It was clean to begin with.

Thanks...
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Thanks Snosessed. Is there a pic of the RWP? I would be happy to just tune the whole motor just in case as parts are generally inexpensive (yep, I will eat those words soon enough)

Here is a picture of a RWP - this one was out of alignment, hopefully yours is better aligned.

You can get a tune up kit from SkiDim or My Correct parts for $25. You definitely need a timing light, dwell meter is good but doing accurate feeler gaging only is a 2nd choice.

For a quick fix, you could run a nail file past the points to clean them up a bit. Check the advance weights (under the breaker plate) too make sure they are free & the springs aren't broken or rusty. One spring is supposed to be loose.

I just don't see a hose long enough off of the RWP (i am assuming the bottom water pump in the pic is the RWP) to get into a 5 gallon bucket. I can follow the hose from that unit all the way under the motor to the clear filter/strainer. Can I just disconnect the RWP side of the strainer and tie a garden hose to the end of it? I can then run to a 5 gallon bucket where I can hose feed? I am probably making this too complicated. ;)
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 2:06pm
Hey congrats on the new boat. Listen to these guys, they'll get you fixed up. 87 brochure lists 33" as the draft, so 3ft and up and you should be good. Just a couple words of advice from a fellow first time inboard owner--practice reversing in open water before you start hitting stuff and always use the lockout button on the throttle, especially with kids on the boat. Git'er running right and enjoy it this summer.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 2:36pm
The bucket method is best; a hose extension may be needed. Personally I have not used the bucket. I hose clamped the garden hose directly into the rwp input hose (at stainer or tranny cooler). But someone said that can rupture the RWP seal due to too much pressure, so user-beware.

I now have a 'tee' with valve & garden hose adapter to hookup water (search for TRBenj's thread on this)- it is about $12 investment, well worth it.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

The bucket method is best; a hose extension may be needed. Personally I have not used the bucket. I hose clamped the garden hose directly into the rwp input hose (at stainer or tranny cooler). But someone said that can rupture the RWP seal due to too much pressure, so user-beware.

I now have a 'tee' with valve & garden hose adapter to hookup water (search for TRBenj's thread on this)- it is about $12 investment, well worth it.

I am going the route of fake lake and 5 gallon bucket combo. I picked up an inboard plunger from west marine. I plan to use a short hose to a 5 gallon bucket and then a garden hose to that bucket.

Can someone point me to TRBenj's thread about the T? I searched and searched with no luck.

I am going to attempt to set timing for the first time in my life. Just bought a light. Floats and carb pump setting next. I am then heading to CC dealer in the AM for fuel filter and tune-up kit. I know I can order all online but I am the instant gratification type. Grass doesn't grow under this butt. ;)

Steps to fix hesitation/stall out of hole so far:

1. Drain gas and replace with 93
2. Anti-siphon valve checking/cleaning (valve was already clean and as far as I can tell, working)
3. Timing and cardboard adjust today
4. Fuel filter / distributor tune up tomorrow

I have to be close to getting to the bottom of it.

Thanks all!
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:32pm
Cardboard=carborater (I hate auto spell check)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:43pm
Dave,
Here's Tim's thread: running engine out of the water The key words can be a problem! I just put in "home depot" and it popped right up.

Please explain in more detail on how you plan on using both the fake-a-lake and the bucket at the same time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:50pm

Dave,
Here's Tim's thread: running engine out of the water The key words can be a problem! I just put in "home depot" and it popped right up.

Please explain in more detail on how you plan on using both the fake-a-lake and the bucket at the same time.

I'm going to run a hose from the fake a lake to a 5 gallon bucket that is being constantly filled by a hose. The fake a lake has a hose attached that is used to go directly to the house water supply. I'm sending it to a bucket. Haven't tried it yet. I hope it's not a dorky move. :)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 8:42pm
I still don't understand what the fake-a-lake is doing? Ether use it as designed or toss it and use the bucket - RWP suction side to the bucket and the garden hose filling the bucket.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:00pm
Just being dumb... it didn't work as it wasn't getting enough suction to the 5 gallon bucket through the hose from the fake-a-lake.

I did the normal fake-a-lake setup with the device under the boat to the garden hose. Man, that boat runs like crap. I crank the throttle and it hisses and stalls. I may need professional help. I think I'm going to bring it in the shop tomorrow or Tuesday and have them go through the carb, timing, etc.

I'm a little over my head and don't want to complicate things.

I wish I could do skype with someone from this site. I could walk you to the problem for remote consultation.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:08pm
Dave,
Now I got what you were trying to do!! I feel my problem with understanding what you were trying to do was never thinking someone would actually try your method! No, even a semi positive displacement pump like a rubber impeller type has limits on it's suction lift capacity.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
daddyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 10:26pm
If you take it to the dealer, get ready to learn what "boat" really stands for, maybe once or twice over . No one but you knows your mechanical comfort level, but if you can isolate the problems you're having and post them here in a coherent manner, you'll usually get some good advice from the poobahs. either way, good luck.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 12:48am
Originally posted by daddyo daddyo wrote:

If you take it to the dealer, get ready to learn what "boat" really stands for, maybe once or twice over . No one but you knows your mechanical comfort level, but if you can isolate the problems you're having and post them here in a coherent manner, you'll usually get some good advice from the poobahs. either way, good luck.

I hear ya. I'm going for the peace of mind at this point. I know a good mechanic that can handle the carb and timing aspects. He's not marine, but it seems these inboards are like hot rods with rudders.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 11:33am
Poobas rock by the way! I'm going to give the carb floats look today by following the videos. Maybe I can move the boat along in the right direction.

Thanks all for everything. I don't know what I would do without this site. I'm donating now if I can't offer my expertise. At least I can do something.

Thanks, Dave
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 10:57pm

Thanks for the advice Snobsessed! I go see the boat in the AM. If I have any hesitation, I walk. I watched the video 3 times and am going to pull up the removable floor as the video suggests and do some knocking. Nobody bid on the boat so I'm good for a lower offer if need be, although, I think the price seems pretty darn good.

My latest hesitation/concern is the lack of reverse capabilities a inboard provides. I suck at backing up to begin with. I hope I can get used to the bump in a hurry or my new boat experience is going to be super ugly. Anybody have some warm and fuzzies about switching from an outboard / deck boat to a ski boat and maneuverability?

maybe already been mentioned but a little tip on reverse, always go for the right side of a dock (whenever possible), then a bit of reverse brings the stern in nicely. Left side..reverse will draw you away. It's a different style; I'm sure I'm not alone in that having docked inboards for so long I actually have more trouble with outboards and i/o's, on the rare occasion I actually dock one.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:14am
Looks like I am in for it with this boat. It needs some major glass work near the rudder/prop. Ther is an old repair that is cracking with some major chips coming out of it. I have 2 estimates for around 2k. The major crack goes to the rudder plate. There is brown drips coming out of the cracks so,I assume some wood involvement. Nothing is visible from the battery compartment. I will have pictures online tomorrow. Any advice would, of course, be appreciated. The good news is the previous owner felt pretty awful and chipped in some bucks towards the repair. I want it done right so I am trying to not cut any corners. One and done.

I am going to solve the hesitation out of the hole with a newly rebuilt carb. $229 to my door. I think it's cheaper than gettin someone to look at it and I can swap myself.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:21am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Thanks for the advice Snobsessed! I go see the boat in the AM. If I have any hesitation, I walk. I watched the video 3 times and am going to pull up the removable floor as the video suggests and do some knocking. Nobody bid on the boat so I'm good for a lower offer if need be, although, I think the price seems pretty darn good.

My latest hesitation/concern is the lack of reverse capabilities a inboard provides. I suck at backing up to begin with. I hope I can get used to the bump in a hurry or my new boat experience is going to be super ugly. Anybody have some warm and fuzzies about switching from an outboard / deck boat to a ski boat and maneuverability?

maybe already been mentioned but a little tip on reverse, always go for the right side of a dock (whenever possible), then a bit of reverse brings the stern in nicely. Left side..reverse will draw you away. It's a different style; I'm sure I'm not alone in that having docked inboards for so long I actually have more trouble with outboards and i/o's, on the rare occasion I actually dock one.

Thanks 74wind! Haven't heard that yet. What direction should the wheel be cut? I assume to the right but you know what happens when you assume.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:36am

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Thanks 74wind! Haven't heard that yet. What direction should the wheel be cut? I assume to the right but you know what happens when you assume.

Turn the wheel in outboard or i/o & whole lower unit & prop turns, easily drawing the boat back in whatever direction you wish. Someone like Pete could better explain the dynamics, but an inboard prop is stationary and the rudder is behind the prop,so it is the rotational direction/torque of the prop that does much of the work in reverse. Work your way up to it. Practice on an imaginary dock in open water. Once you get a feel for it you might try (if it's not too rough and you've got a someone to pick it up) dropping a ski in and practice sidling right up to it (without running it over of course). Then if the docks not busy, do it a bunch of times till you've really got it right, then on a busy day you'll slip it right in like an old pro.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 4:45am

Looks like I am in for it with this boat. It needs some major glass work near the rudder/prop. Ther is an old repair that is cracking with some major chips coming out of it. I have 2 estimates for around 2k. The major crack goes to the rudder plate. There is brown drips coming out of the cracks so,I assume some wood involvement. Nothing is visible from the battery compartment. I will have pictures online tomorrow. Any advice would, of course, be appreciated. The good news is the previous owner felt pretty awful and chipped in some bucks towards the repair. I want it done right so I am trying to not cut any corners. One and done.

I am going to solve the hesitation out of the hole with a newly rebuilt carb. $229 to my door. I think it's cheaper than gettin someone to look at it and I can swap myself.

Dont be afraid of the glass work, It is a job you can do yourself and with patience and posting some photos you can likely do it better. the hardest part is the gell work, but it is on the bottom where no one will ever see it, a great place to practice and learn. It is possible most of the work could be done on by grinding out the bad from the inside and rebuilding, saving the gel. The carb price sounds fair, what is the source?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:16am

I'm buying the carb from http://www.nationalcarburetors.com. I think I can just do the swap myself. Yeah, in case you haven't figured it out already, I'm a little bit of a mechanically challenge soul.

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Dont be afraid of the glass work, It is a job you can do yourself and with patience and posting some photos you can likely do it better. the hardest part is the gell work, but it is on the bottom where no one will ever see it, a great place to practice and learn. It is possible most of the work could be done on by grinding out the bad from the inside and rebuilding, saving the gel. The carb price sounds fair, what is the source?

I wouldn't be afraid to work on a small section to cut my teeth on. This is such a structural point on the boat with the prop shaft going right through there that I'm bound to make it worse. I would take it on with a volunteer than know there way around. Can I fly you to my house to help? I'm not kidding. :)

Here's the pics of the situation. Please let me know your thoughts. I just want to get out on the water now. :)
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:23am
try photobucket or hosting here. Cant see pics.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:33am
Dave.
Hopefully that carb you bought is a marine version.

On the glass work, we have had several members take on the job in the same areas you would need to repair. They had no previous glass experience but with good picture posts and the guidence from the members here, got the job done with fantastic results.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:49am

Dave.
Hopefully that carb you bought is a marine version.

On the glass work, we have had several members take on the job in the same areas you would need to repair. They had no previous glass experience but with good picture posts and the guidence from the members here, got the job done with fantastic results.

Thanks! I did buy the marine version so I should be good there. I gave them the model number off of the carb that I have (which was one of their rebuilds so I know the models match).

Does $2,200 seem like an outrageous estimate? He's planning 3 days of labor at $75/hour and about $300 in materials. The previous owner is kicking in $500 which is really nice of him.

I just don't have the time an energy to take on a project like that. I'm tempted for sure, but know that I won't be in the lake for a long long time and may botch the job because I'm me.

Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

try photobucket or hosting here. Cant see pics.

Try this Link
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:06pm
yup that worked. Looks like you are doing the right thing by having it repaired.

Also pete is right on the fiberglass work. I never had touched the stuff but thanks to the guys on this site I was able to tackly my huge winter project myself.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

yup that worked. Looks like you are doing the right thing by having it repaired.

Also pete is right on the fiberglass work. I never had touched the stuff but thanks to the guys on this site I was able to tackly my huge winter project myself.

If I could wait until the winter and do a quick fix I would do it now. Can I just do some temporary patches and then cut it out in the winter and take my time doing it? It's so hard as I just bought the boat and I'm already beached. Gotta get back in the water... the wife is chomping at the bit and I have a black eye so far.

I have no doubt the guys here could help as you all have already helped tremendously. I have the jitters to get this done now and get on the lake.

Thanks, Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic