NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 correct craft purchase help

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2012 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Big t Big t wrote:

I have found that acouple of feet of tubing and a primer bulb from an outboard works great and is a cheap way to do it ( mr. Cheapskate hear )

Does the hose go right in the tank filler tube? Isn't there is siphon block hiding in the honey hole?
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 1:08am
Maynot be a anti-siphon device. You could always try it. You could also take out the fuel sender and enter the tank that way. I good think will also be to jack the boat to the rear and to which ever side you place your suction device in so you can get all the old fuel out.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Mebirkle Mebirkle wrote:

I have found that acouple of feet of tubing and a primer bulb from an outboard works great and is a cheap way to do it ( mr. Cheapskate hear )

Does the hose go right in the tank filler tube? Isn't there is siphon block hiding in the honey hole?

The anti siphon is on the fuel outlet.

Tony,
I have a old outboard primer bulb but I've neber thought about using it for starting a siphon. I'm going to try it. Thanks for the idea. I use the old bulb for priming fuel to carbs.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
grim007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grim007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 12:48pm
congrats on your new toy, don't forget to change the fuel filter if you suspect the gas to be bad and after 30 years of driving a I/O boat reverse in a inboard was different but not hard to master, good luck and have fun
shaken not stirred
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 4:55pm
It's simple to siphon the fuel out with just a hose/tubing.
Get about a 6' section of 3/8" - 1/2" clear hose. Stick one end in the tank to the bottom. Take the other end and keep it about 1' above the height where the hose goes into the tank letting the middle section hang. Suck until the fuel is level with the hose going in the tank (should be 1' below your end) then quickly take the hose out of your mouth and cover it with your finger (air tight). Lower your end down below the end in the tank to your receptacle and release your finger.
And presto fuel starts flowing and none in your mouth!!!
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:01pm
Thanks grim.. there is a very large metal canister fuel filter mounted to the bow side in front of the motor. I was told by the PO that there is a water/fuel separator filter in place. Could this be it or is this just the normal filter for the boat? The casing looks as old as the boat and it's the only inline fuel filter in sight. There is a line out to the fuel pump and a shut off valve.

I guess it's time to start some new threads... :)
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:02pm
P.S. the hose won't go down the filler tube into the tank so I assume there an inline screen or something blocking it. I bought me a cheap hand up. Oh well... have to get to the gas another way to pump it out and drain it.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

It's simple to siphon the fuel out with just a hose/tubing.
Get about a 6' section of 3/8" - 1/2" clear hose. Stick one end in the tank to the bottom.

The hose doesn't go all the way down in the filler tube to the bottom of the tank. It get stuck in there. Something is blocking. I'll have to access the tank another way.

Thanks!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:18pm
It won't have any screen or any roll over anti-siphon valve in the neck like a car would. It may make a bend or two you may have to twist the tube around a little to get it through the bends. I like to use 3/8" tubing it seems easier to get it through bends. My '95 makes an "s" bend in about a 1' distance and I can get a tube through.
The only other way would be to pull the tank or hook up a pump to the fuel line at the filter.

And yes that sounds like the fuel/water seperator the cansiter stays and the element inside gets replaced.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:52pm
I'll get back to jamming that hose down the spout. I guess I'll spin the filter off and change the element. Let's see what it looks like. I took a pic but not sure if I can post yet.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 7:47pm
I doubt you will be able to spin the filter housing in place. If it spins great if not take it out put it upside down in a vise then give it a spin.

Upload your pics to something like photobucket then you will be able to copy URL link and paste.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 8:12pm
There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the filter cansiter shell. You can remove that & any water in there will dribble out. I would just do that for the short term.

Getting the canister off can be a bear, even in a bench vise.

You will have plenty of other items to debug right away. You can get a new filter from SKiDim or My Correct Parts for about $15.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 9:09pm
You can also get the filters at a autoparts store.(not one like Autozone)
Wix makes one for it.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the filter cansiter shell. You can remove that & any water in there will dribble out. I would just do that for the short term.

Getting the canister off can be a bear, even in a bench vise.

You will have plenty of other items to debug right away. You can get a new filter from SKiDim or My Correct Parts for about $15.

Good call SNobsessed! I'm going to just drain it for now. I have about 10 gallons drained out of the house that connects to the filter. I attached a cheap walmart variety hand pump to it. My forearms are getting quite the workout. I hope that tank wasn't full. I'll hit the filter next. Tomorrow I get a depth finder on it.

Can someone give me a ballpark of depth of water I can go to / draft? It looks like it'll site barely in 10 feet of water without losing a prop (ok, a little exaggeration). 4 feet???

Thanks all!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 10:11pm

Can someone give me a ballpark of depth of water I can go to / draft? It looks like it'll site barely in 10 feet of water without losing a prop (ok, a little exaggeration). 4 feet???

Thanks all!

2.5' if you're on plain and moving along at a decent speed. 3.5' would be safe for just a SNW speed. Getting up on plain with the aft dragging, then I'd say 4.5'

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:25pm
Remember it is not just clearance but also what your cooling system can suck up from the bottom. You don"t want to idle a beached boat. Most Here would say you don't want to beach a boat anyway. Do as I say not as I do.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:17pm
No trim? I'm learning so much about inboards after the purchase. Is it basically half to full throttle until out of the hole and no tweaking with trim at all?

P.S. I'm going to keep all the stupid questions in this thread. :)

Water trial tomorrow if all goes well.

Boom!
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Thanks all!

2.5' if you're on plain and moving along at a decent speed. 3.5' would be safe for just a SNW speed. Getting up on plain with the aft dragging, then I'd say 4.5'

Petes right on, i have kissed the bottom with the prop in about 2.5 feet so thats the bare minimum
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:20pm

Wix makes one for it.

I use the wix 51515
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:27pm
I must sound like such a dork.. LOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Wix makes one for it.

I use the wix 51515

Thats the oil filter #
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:00pm

Originally posted by Jllogan Jllogan wrote:

Wix makes one for it.

I use the wix 51515

Thats the oil filter #

The Wix part number for the Fram fuel/water separator filter used in the mid 80's through early 90's is 33436.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:31pm
You can buy it and use it until the stringers give out and then part it out for all of your $$ back.
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 10:31pm
Bot has an issue getting out of the hole. It wants to stall as soon as I'm into the throttle a little. The carb is a year or two old. Seems like a fuel issue to me. I will try adjusting the floats tomorrow ala YouTube Holley video float adjust procedure. I will also try to get the fuel filter out and replace it. I can pound the throttle from neutral and get the RPMs up and get it moving. Nothing is good at 2000 RPMs. I am not a carb wrencher. We will see.

Can someone tell me hoe to run it off a garden hose? I was going to disconnect the screen on the intake side in the water line and run a hose from there. Sound about right???

Thanks all. I have another post about this in general but I am not getting much action.
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 10:59pm
Best way to run off of garden hose is to use the bucket method - get a 5 gal bucket, have the garden hose filling it up. Have the disconnected RWP input hose (disconnected from strainer) pulling from the bucket.

Are the points & distributor cap healthy?

Check your timing advance too - you should start at 8-10 deg BTDC & advance to about 28 deg BTDC by 4000 RPM (Stock curve).

Another strong possibility is the accelerator pump isn't working. Look down the carb while someone pushes the throttle fwd. You should see a healthy squirt of gas, in both barrels. Check the simple stuff 1st before doing surgery on the carb.

Don't get discouraged, this sounds like a minor problem.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 11:47pm
Thanks Snosessed. Is there a pic of the RWP? I know there is a strainer and standard water pump on the block. I guess there is another pump I need to worry about. ;)

I too, think its an easy fix whatever it is. I have never dealt with points before. If I pull the cap, what am I looking for to show that are toast? I would be happy to just tune the whole motor just in case as parts are generally inexpensive (yep, I will eat those words soon enough)
87 Martinique - first ski boat ever... bad glass, I'm chicken.. bought a 2001 Chaparral Deck Boat. :)
Big t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 12:19am
That is what I use on all the boats from 1920 to current and the cars too the trick is to use a 5/16 Id line with a 7/16 od to pass the anti syphon valve
Mebirkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mebirkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 1:10am
Big T, you just bypass altogether the anti siphon gave? Interesting.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 5:50am
Points are cheap, I would just replace them along with the condenser and start fresh, you will need a dwell meter and a timing light to get things set up correctly, there are lots of YouTube videos that will show you what to do. I picked up a dwell meter, timing light and a set of car ramps in a package deal on craigs list for $25.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 9:10am

That is what I use on all the boats from 1920 to current and the cars too the trick is to use a 5/16 Id line with a 7/16 od to pass the anti syphon valve

Tony,
Hint! Use the quote feature when answering so everyone knows what post you are responding too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic