NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

99 SN GT40 Fuel Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
Author
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 4:25am
Let me clarify (it's late and I'm tired)

Fastest way is to unplug the connector. Then with your multi-meter on Ohms, first make absolutely sure the power to the engine, etc. is off (key out of ignition, etc.). Touch the two meter leads together to make sure you are getting zero or nearly zero resistance. Then put the one lead somewhere on the engine (ground), and the other lead to one of the pins on the connector that comes from the relay. If it is zero or almost zero resistance, that is the ground side and the other side comes from the battery. If it is infinate resistance check the other pin, since the one that has no resistance is the one that is negative (goes to ground), and the one with infinite resistance is the one that comes from the battery through the relay.

You can then see how the plug from the relay plugs into the plug to the pump, then follow the positive and negative wires from the relay side plug (since you now know which one is which) to the plug on the pump side, and that will tell you which pump side connector pin needs to go to ground, and which side needs to go to the battery for the direct-to-battery pump, engine start test.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 5:59am
It will not be simple to jumper the plugs from fuel pumps to direct +ve and earth as they have nice waterproof style connectors with the pins recessed behind housing. Would almost need the correct male or female connector to make sure of good contact.

HIGH PRESSURE PUMP CONNECTOR

It is a valid test but I would only contemplate after what we discussed previously.

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

With the STO jumper installed and fuel pressure gauge connected. (Without valve inside Schrader housing.) I do not trust the readings on your pressure gauge until you do that. The fuel pumps keep running while wiggling wiring loom, relay connectors and tapping circuit breaker terminals.
And the fuel pressure stayed around 40psi. Correct???
This will confirm that pumps are running and there is fuel available in the rail.

NOTE ENGINE OFF KEY ON. So you can hear pumps. If that was not clear.

and this also.......

Also check the output of low pressure pump as mentioned previously. This is achieved by disconnecting the high pressure pump electrical connections at FCC. Remove fuel hose from low pressure pump to FCC and place it in a container. Install the jumper to STO terminal it should pump about a US Quart in around 15-20 seconds.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 1:50pm
First, I agree with Lewy; pull that schrader valve out and put your pressure gauge back on. I will bet that once you do that, when the pressure drops to zero, the engine dies.

I might do the direct battery bypass test before I did the low pressure pump volume test simply because the second one can be messy and lots of fumes. But it needs to be done (I resisted doing on my boat and my problem at the time ended up being the low pressure pump--it seemed to work, but volume was not where it was supposed to be--I did the same test with the new pump, and what a difference in volume and pressure!!).

As for the direct-to-battery jump test, I don't think it would be too hard to jump the pumps. I can't tell from the picture which one is to the pump and which one is to the relay and I don't remember which is which. but I've jumped these types of connectors many times. I don't know what the diameter of the pin holes is, but if the pump side plug is the one at the top of the picture (female pin), all you need to do is to buy some lamp cord or any 16-18 gage wire and strip the ends. You then insert the wires into the inside of the pin holes and tape them securely with electrical tape. On the other hand, if the connector to the pump is the bottom connector in the picture (male pins), you could either get some very small alligator clips from Radio Shack, or just shove the stripped ends of the wires into the hole around the male pin, then tape them there with electrical tape. That should be fine for the test (all you are doing is an engine test, not an in-water test (so no vibration that might pull them out). Just make sure you don't trip over the wires while doing the test and pull them out of the plug!!

I jump stuff like that all the time (had to do it on a hot water water circulation pump in one of my cars (pumps coolant through the heater core). For this "in the driveway" test, that should work fine since the purpose is to see if you get the wide swings in pressure (the hissing noise, clicking, etc.) if the pumps are wired directly to the battery. You'll want to jump both at the same time just to be sure.
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2012 at 7:49pm
I put everything back together, after checking continuity of some of the items like relay to 60 pin, 60 and 40 pins to ground, etc., both relays are over 10 volts, etc..

Started it up and ran ok, but seemed to cut out as I was giving it a pump of gas..

First Test Run

Pumps were priming, etc. Then I ran again, primarily wiggling everything and when it cut out, the pumps were not priming at all. At the time, I was wiggling wires behind the 60 amp breaker. I think it was just coincidence, as I could not replicate. I could jump pump to STO and they would run and I could hear gas in the tank returning. You can hear the hissing sound again, and as far as I can tell, it is coming out of the air breather. After this stall, then engine would crank and no fire. I jumped the pump on STO and got the pressure up, but still no fire, not even a sputter. I jumped the kill switch, and no different. Seemed like the engine had no spark, the pressre on rail was 40. ?Let it set, changed out relays, and then pumps primed, but same result as video.

Test Run 2

I also changed the non-pump relay just for kicks, no difference.

I noticed two things, there was a platic plug on top of manifol in back that has a tube attached to it, this was out of the manifold, so I plugged back in, and no change. This is very easy to remove and I probably did this while wiggling wires.

Second, there was a wire connector that was not plugged together, I have no idea what it does or why it wasn't connected, I plugged it together and no change in performance. What is this?

I guess another thing, I unplugged the low pressure pump wires, and took apart the plug, and I tested for continuity to see which was ground, and they both act as if they are ground, meaning, the meter went to the right all the way, like it does when you complete a circuit. Shouldn't I have gotten volts on one and ground on another? I turned the key on, so should have had power, right?

Oh well, enough for today, I am still in a good mood.

I am 100% convinced that there is something that is cutting off power to the pumps on a random basis, and I also believe that power to the ignition system is also getting cutoff, to explain why the engine will not start when there is 40psi on the rail..

Now if I only had a clue what it could be!
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 12:54am
Al now I am starting to get frustrated.

Did you perform the test that I asked you do do before you run the engine?????

The video shows no more than what your original one did. Same gasping sound and zero fuel pressure. If you can get video of below tests that would be ideal.

Now I will say it one more time.

Please confirm following

With the STO jumper installed and fuel pressure gauge connected. (Without valve inside Schrader housing.) I do not trust the readings on your pressure gauge until you do that. Do the fuel pumps keep running while wiggling wiring loom, relay connectors and tapping circuit breaker terminals.
And the fuel pressure stays around 40psi. Correct???
This will confirm that pumps are running and there is fuel available in the rail.

NOTE ENGINE OFF KEY ON. So you can hear pumps. If that was not clear.

and this also.......

Check the output of low pressure pump as mentioned previously. This is achieved by disconnecting the high pressure pump electrical connections at FCC. Remove fuel hose from low pressure pump to FCC and place it in a container. Install the jumper to STO terminal it should pump about a US Quart in around 15-20 seconds.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 1:30am
Yes when I jump the STO, the pump runs, pressure is at 40, not 35 as the video shows when the motor runs, and I wiggled every wire in site, along with the 2 negative grounds on the back of the block. I cannot get the pressure to change or pumps to not run when it is jumpered.

No I did not do the output test, my thinking was that my problem seems to be the pumps not running at all, not that they have variable output. When the pressure starts bouncing around and engine gasps. 9 out of 10 times when this happens and I turn the key back on, the pumps do NOT prime. Would the low pressure pump run randomly on / off or just have reduced output when going bad? My thought was that the pump motor would either run or not run, and when I jumper it, the pressure seems to stay up with no fluctuation, so I deduced that it is a ground or power wire shorting, or a switch/sensor or something not working properly. It was just my WAG while I had a couple hours to work on it today.

I did some research on the pump output test, and I see 10 seconds and 16 ounces, and 15 seconds and 1 quart. Not sure which one is correct, it would seem that if 10 seconds = 16 ouces, then 20 seconds would = 32 ouces or a quart.

I can do this test if you think a bad pump can run/prime intermittantly. I just thought the non-priming indicated something else was shorting out.

I don't know why both sides of the wiring on the low pressure pump were acting as though they were ground wires... that I am wondering about.

The low pressure pump has a red and a black wire on it, connected to green/yellow and a black wire, so I believe the postive is red and ground would be black.

Lewy, if reading these symptoms of the pumps not priming you feel that the pump test is still a go, I will check it this week.

and the other reason I didn't test volume was that when the engine stopped running, after the pressure bounced around, the pressure on the rail went up to 40 after I jumpered the STO, and the motor would not fire at all. It seemed like there was no spark, and the pressure gauge said there was 40 psi in the rail, so that to me meant there was gas present.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 2:58am
Al, I can't tell from your answer above whether you pulled out the schrader valve pin and reconnected the fuel pump. Like Mark (Lewy) said, the second video seems to be the same as the previous video you sent, so I need to confirm that this new video was taken with the schrader valve out.

Also, on your first video today, it was interesting that you said that it was cutting out when you gave it gas; I have to admit that I couldn't hear it in the video; it sounded okay. But was more interesting is that the fuel pressure stayed within specs, so if it was cutting out at the higher RPMs, it wasn't due to low fuel pressure (again, assuming the schrader valve was out).

Please confirm; I need that info to "process" your current results.

If it is any consolation, I got the hot engine loping slightly yesterday, but as usual, we were in a hurry to pull rides (the wind was coming up), so I had no chance to test. On the other hand, since I know it is heat-related, the comment I got from a number of MC owners is, "just open your engine compartment and let it cool". Problem with that is while it stops it from happening, it doesn't solve the problem. I want to know the source and then fix it, not bandage it. Oh well, we'll keep plugging away at it (and your problem as well).
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 9:55am
Al yes still run the low pressure output test. Just so you can rule that out as a cause for your problem.

As slmskrs Gordon mentioned can you confirm if valve was removed from Schrader Valve body? When that pressure gauge went to zero.

You have confirmed that with the STO jumpered and engine off you can move, wiggle and jiggle wiring without stopping pumps. This confirms that the power side of the fuel pump circuit is fine. You also previously proved that the wiring from fuel pump relay to pin52 of ECA connector was good. So the problem must be the earth that the computer is supplying to the fuel pump relay from pin 52.

I think you may have done this before but do it again.
Start and run the engine with the STO connector still jumpered to earth. The pumps should continue to run and fuel pressure should remain at around 35psi at idle. If the engine continues to run correctly with correct fuel pressure it confirms that the earth on pin 52 from computer is the problem. So it is sounding like a ECM computer fault.

But there is one more issue and that is the PIP signal from distributor could be the problem and the computer is shutting down the pumps(by removing that ground on pin52) because it thinks that the engine has stopped.

The second problem you seemed to have developed where it will crank but not start even with 40 psi fuel pressure. This may also be related to the PIP sensor because it is the signal that not only tells the computer the engine is running but also generates the spark with the TFI unit and computer.

It would be nice to see if your computer has any stored codes for loss of PIP output.

Do the above tests and report back. It may be worthwhile purchasing that code reader that I linked to earlier in thread to help isolate the fault. It will most likely be cheaper than any other engine part you ever buy.

89 Ski

harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 9:17pm
Make your own scanner

Homebrew scanner
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 10:05pm

I tested with the valve out of the Schrader. I could not remove the one in my gauge, but I blew air through it, so have to assume that air pressure was getting through it.

With STO jumpered, I started the engine and let it idle. It didn't sound loopy, but I would say it sounded a little rougher than when it is running tip top. Just my ear telling me. As soon as I gave it a little gas, slowly trying to build rpm, it cutout, and I observerd no pressure drop on the gauge like I did before. It was hard to restart, acting like it was flooded, but it did start and the same happened again; missing and sputterring and then cutting out. All the while, the gauge reading about 37 psi on the gauge.

This sort of confirms my suspicion that a fuel and ignition problem is happening, simultaneously, right?

I didn't do the volume test, as the gauge while the pump was jumpered, measured a very steady pressure. Is this necessary at this time?

I also ordered a Code reader, pre-post of how to make a homemade one. Should have tomorrow. Do I just plug into the STO, turn ignition on? Let me know how to use. Thanks.

Any test for the PIP?

If it is an ECM pin 52 error, I suppose that means I need a new ECM? Where is the best place to buy one of those? I don't even see it at the normal part places.

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 11:11pm
I ran it again today, and the revs that the first video from yesterday were not attainable. It would just do the idle, then die when any gas was applied. Then died at idle. Again, pressure remained constant with pump jumpered..

It seems to be running worse today. I don't know how or why it actually held some rpms yesterday. Even when revving, when I gave it a quick throttle, it was missing a tad, so not running 100%. It was hard to hear that on the video, as you would have to see the throttle moving and not hearing the engine rev up with throttle. I heard a couple cracks on the video, but I knew what the throttle was doing, and it was not responding to throttle like normal.

Just FYI.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by AMB AMB wrote:

I tested with the valve out of the Schrader. I could not remove the one in my gauge, but I blew air through it, so have to assume that air pressure was getting through it. \

Okay, so with the schrader valve out, you tested it (the second video you sent) and the pressure dropped to zero and the engine kept running, correct? Or are you saying that with the STO jumpered and the schrader valve out, you got continual pressure but it still died?

What about the hissing sound?

With STO jumpered, I started the engine and let it idle. It didn't sound loopy, but I would say it sounded a little rougher than when it is running tip top. Just my ear telling me. As soon as I gave it a little gas, slowly trying to build rpm, it cutout, and I observerd no pressure drop on the gauge like I did before. It was hard to restart, acting like it was flooded, but it did start and the same happened again; missing and sputterring and then cutting out. All the while, the gauge reading about 37 psi on the gauge.

This sort of confirms my suspicion that a fuel and ignition problem is happening, simultaneously, right?

Mark (Lewy), PIP is the Profile Ignition Pickup, correct? Is that similar to CPS (crankshaft position sensor)? Either way, it does sound like it could be that; the engine thinks it's off, so opens the pump relay circuit. Also, if it the PIP/CPS is reading wrong, that will mess up timing, etc.,

I also ordered a Code reader, pre-post of how to make a homemade one. Should have tomorrow. Do I just plug into the STO, turn ignition on? Let me know how to use. Thanks.

If it is the same one I got from Amazon (that Mark recommended), it's really easy. Follow the instructions; you'll need to plug in both the STO and the other loose connector. Easy to pull the codes (and at $25, easier than jumping with a test light or analog meter (haven't had an analog meter in years anyway, but glad to get the info on how to do it)).

Any test for the PIP?

If it is an ECM pin 52 error, I suppose that means I need a new ECM? Where is the best place to buy one of those? I don't even see it at the normal part places.

I don't know on either counts but I suspect there is a test or a way to check the PIP. I'll have to look, but Mark may already know.

On the ECM, I suspect you have to get that from CC or SKIDIM, etc., since it will have been custom programmed for marine applications. Maybe you can get it somewhere else, but you'd have to be able to get the FW (firmware) and somehow get it updated with the CC FW.
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:28am
The second video was without jumpered STO, just running on pumps like normal.   I didn't video the jumpered STO.

But a few days ago, I jumpered the STO after the pumps wouldn't prime, and the motor died, and it would not start, with pressure on 40. It's back up the chain a ways. This is confirmation of the engine missing and eventually dieing when the STO was jumpered again. So gas is present, but no spark.. I think it might have been when the battery went dead, not sure. One thing though, as the gas pressure was maintained, I didn't notice the loud hissing noise. I am wondering if that is a vacume noise when injectors don't have sufficient fuel?

Yes, it was the one with the link to Amazon up a few posts..

Skidim and White Lake don't list the ECM, or Marine Parts, so may have to be a dealer part, so I might as well get ready to fork over the big bucks!

Tht pvc breather at the back of the manifold seems really loose fitting. Should this be adhered with caulk or something? I am sure with normal bouncing on waves, etc., that it could pop up..

That assumes it runs again.   
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 4:31am

The second video was without jumpered STO, just running on pumps like normal.   I didn't video the jumpered STO.

But a few days ago, I jumpered the STO after the pumps wouldn't prime, and the motor died, and it would not start, with pressure on 40. It's back up the chain a ways. This is confirmation of the engine missing and eventually dieing when the STO was jumpered again. So gas is present, but no spark.. I think it might have been when the battery went dead, not sure. One thing though, as the gas pressure was maintained, I didn't notice the loud hissing noise. I am wondering if that is a vacume noise when injectors don't have sufficient fuel?

Well, this is interesting. With the pumps jumped (and no way they go off), you don't get the hissing sound, you get pressure without any dropping of the PSI (confirmed with the schrader valve out). You don't get loping, but you get rough idle, stalling, hard starts.

So ignition, or a sensor issue that is causing not only ignition issues, but possibly also causing the injectors to misfire?

You could put a timing light on it when it is not starting and see where your timing is (and confirm spark). If your spark is way off, that is one indication. You could also pull the SPOUT connector off, which keeps the advance at 5 degrees BTDC and confirm it is there. The SPOUT connector is near the oil filler cap, and it looks like the extra connector by the STO connector. With the SPOUT connector connecting (with the engine running), the timing should be around 20 degrees (I think).

But probably best to follow the troubleshooting in the manual...... :-)
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 9:07am
The code reader should be here today, so maybe a few things might be explained. I will post what readings I get.

I guess when I look back at how the engine sounded and behaved, it seemed to me that someone just turned the ignition switch on and off when running, along with the hissing sound, which I thought was starving for fuel. So I am not surprised that the pumps and ignition are being impacted.   

My thought is that if fuel is not being supplied at a constant volume the engine would still run/fire, but at a lower rpm, not just shut off for an instant then jump back up like nothing happened. The pressure fluctuations and no prime events caused suspicion of the pumps, or else I would have thought ignition was just being interrupted, by how the engine was just quitting.

Does anyone know what the green wire connector is in the photo above? Just curious, as it doesn't impact engine performance problem I am having, but it was disconnected.

Also, anyone know where ECM's are sold? I didn't find one last night after spending considerable time looking.

Thanks.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 10:36am
SkiDim sells the engine computer. It's ~600.00 IIRC.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 12:22pm
Sorry Al have been a bit swamped the last few days and will be tomorrow as well. Get the Code reader and see what codes have been stored. The book that comes with the tester is very easy to read and understand. There are three types of faults KOEO(Key On Engine Off) KOER (Key On Engine Running) and continuous codes. The book tells you how to run tests and explains the codes better than the GT40 manual.

The PIP is a hall effect device it is possible to test but if the fault codes point to it just replace.

I had a look and that green wire goes from that connector and re enters the loom up near the fuel rail. It comes out of the same split tubing in the bilge where the main power loom goes back to the dash. Have not have a chance to see where it appears behind the dash yet.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 1:27am
Well, I took a break tonight and went skiing, behind another SN.

Came home and unboxed the code reader, put the batteris in, and hooked it up to the STO. Turned the ignition on, then turned the code reader on, then hit the test/hold button, as per directions, and zippo. Meter did not show the little triangle in right corner which means that it is accessing the computer codes. Tried this several times, and re-read directions.

Should the engine have some stored codes at least, even if I hadn't run it in a day or two?

Maybe I am just jinxed with electrical stuff!

ps. reading some of the trouble shooting info on the code reader, it indicates that if there is a bad ground, you may have to ground the single plug that is back there with the STO. Hmm, could I have a bad ground and therefore no readings from the ECM?

Ok, this is starting to get me pissed off. I went back out to the boat and when I turned the key on, the pumps didn't prime, I don't know why I wasn't listening for this before. I jumped the single switch direct to a ground like the code reader guide says, and still nothing.

I jiggled all the wires to see if the pumps would prime, and then tapped on the back of the ECM. Bingo! Pumps primed. Tapped again, pumps primed. Did this a few more times.. pumps primed.

No code readings, just stuck on 000. So, my conclusion is that the ECM is not making a good ground, or has some faulty connections internally, and I am not going to get code readings from it, just as my engine is not getting proper signals.. Thoughts?

I don't think I will be buying a $1000 fuse block for more testing, but that might be the only way to get to the true answer, as that is how you test the ECM, right?

Still going through hell, but seeing some light..

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:17pm
Al I think you have got the wrong idea here. The code reader will not start the pumps. It is only when you ground the blue/orange (fuel pump relay ground) wire on the STO that the pumps will start. Remember it supplies the ground to start the pumps that the computer normally does. From memory they do start as part of the KOEO test but they do not run continuously like when you jumper the STO connector to earth.

Al Page 75 of the Code reader manual has a code reader trouble shooting guide. I think Gordon had to ground the single wire (white/purple STI) to get his code reader to communicate with ECM. As described on page 75 of manual.

It may just be that your ECM is bad.

You checked all the grounds on engine previously right?

Also you metered pins 40 and 60 to ground at 0 ohms previously. So that confirms the computer was getting a good earth.

Pins 57 and 37 are power to the computer you should have 12V on those pins. NOTE "With key on"

Take the 60 pin ECA connector off again and just measure the voltage (12V) at 57,37 and check for ohms from earth to pins 40 and 60 again.

I am thinking they will meter fine and the problem may have been a bad ECM circuit board all the time. I was hoping this was not going to be the case but it is not looking good right now. This helps explain the intermittent nature of the fault earlier that was looking like a bad connection somewhere. The bad connection is inside the ECM.

Not sure if you have removed the computer circuit from the housing and inspected. But I would do that and check for possible signs of water intrusion or corrosion. I would look for a broken track on the ECM also especially around the bottom where the cct board tracks go out to the connector pins.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 12:31pm
Lewy, I didn't communicate properly. When I turned the key on to get codes, the pumps didn't prime. So, that was telling me that my system was in trouble mode, so I thought that I would NOT get any codes if power wasn't flowing through the system.

I jumpered the single wire with the STO jumper wire I had rigged up. I grounded it on the block like the STO, not to the negative terminal on the battery like the manual shows. I figured earth is earth.

I will pull apart the 60 Pin and test tonight, then take the ECM apart and see what is in there...

Thanks for all the help.. I have learned a lot, even at times if I have frustrated you and the other guys out here trying to help, I appreciate it!
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 10:19pm
Lewy,

I have power at 37 and it has continuity to relay 87.
57 has no power and no continuity to 87.
60,40, 20 are grounded with continuity check ok.

Shouldn't 57 have continuity with 87?

I checked power with key on.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 10:41pm
Al,

Yes according to the diagrams pin 57 should have power just like pin 37 and also have continuity back to "87" on EEC relay. It does show a join in the wiring diagram. The join could be anywhere in wiring loom though. Chase the wire back from the pin on connector and see if there is a join before it goes back into the main loom.

***Note*** always remove power when testing continuity.

And you are right earth is earth because the the main heavy earth wire runs from battery -ve terminal right to the cast iron block of engine.

Trying to get codes from the computer will not be possible if the computer has not got power and earth. You may need to catch it when the pumps are priming. You are very close I hope it turns out not to be the ECM.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:11pm
My bad, sorry.

I was on 17 pin. Forgot it was upside down. I got excited there for a minute! Middle row doesn't change!

Have my iPad in boat. I have power at 57 and 37.

Is there a specific section in manual I should follow to check ECM power and ground?

I talked to PCM Tech on phone today and he said there are no ECM tests to see if it is bad. Just eliminate everything else and read codes.

I can't get codes!!!!

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2012 at 11:56pm
You just did if you have power at those pins 37,57 and ground on 40,60 then the ECM is getting its power and earth. Take ECM out of housing and inspect as I mentioned previously.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:12am

I don't really know what it is supposed to look like, but I didn't find any loose connections, burn marks, or water marking.

It would be great if you could connect a meter on two pins and know if it is good or bad!!

harriss28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harriss28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:20am
i see there are 2 capicators. the tops should be flat. if they are bulged, thet need replaced. its an easy inspection nad easy fix
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:28am
Which ones, the tall brown cylinders?

I really don't see anything, flat or cylindrical that is bulged out, loose, or burnt.

There are some connections at the neck where the 60 Pin plugs in and I can't see if there are any irregularities there. M

If tapping on the ECM cover made the pumps prime, I would have thought something n the board would be loose, or solder not good.   Don't see it.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:31am
Are we absolutely sure the pumps are supposed to prime every time?

You definitely checked all the cheap stuff? Tank screen? Antisiphon valve?

You know you're getting consistent flow from the low pressure pump out of the tank when you're jumping it?

I know the distributor has come up before. Not totally sure how you'd test that. I know sometimes I distributor equipped car that won't take revs can have a bad distributor.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:35am
Al it looks good no signs of water intrusion or oxidation. The earth tracks and power tracks on the board look OK from the pins out. The whole board is coated to aid in water resistance.

Put it all back together and see if you can the pumps to prime and the engine to start. It may take some tapping of the ECM or jiggling of ECM connector. After you get it to this stage turn off engine. Connect Code reader and see if you can get the code reader to run the KOEO tests and retrieve any stored Continuous codes. It may require the grounding of single STI wire we mentioned previously.

***EDIT***
I do not see any bulging in caps but it is hard to tell from a picture sometimes. Sometimes the plastic coating goes on thicker around components giving them a rounder appearance. The ECM may be the fault but let's try and get some fault codes out of it.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2012 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Are we absolutely sure the pumps are supposed to prime every time?

You definitely checked all the cheap stuff? Tank screen? Antisiphon valve?

You know you're getting consistent flow from the low pressure pump out of the tank when you're jumping it?

I know the distributor has come up before. Not totally sure how you'd test that. I know sometimes I distributor equipped car that won't take revs can have a bad distributor.

Drained and blew out the tank, changed anti siphon valve, pumps run fine jumpered, but engine still stalls and acts like ignition problem, see pressure on rail and no fire at all. Changed cap and rotor and plugs this spring.

Pumps should prime every time, full pressure or not for 2-3 seconds. Mine are sporadic. They run when STO is jumpered, and with key on engine off with no prime, I tapped on ECM cover and they primed. Several times. Shaking wire harness etc., had no effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 2345>
  Share Topic