NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

99 SN GT40 Fuel Supply

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:46pm
I put the ECM back together, and the pumps primed with key on.
I then jumpered the STO and wiggled every wire I could find on the back of the engine, no pump disruptions.

Wheeled it out on the driveway, and althought the pumps primed every time with key on, the pressure jumped all over the place again. I jumped the STO and that didn't smooth it out either, and then it stalled.

On top of that, my earth battery terminal cracked when I reconnected it.. After my engine stalled, I tried to restart a few times, not excessively either, and my battery died. When it rains it pours.

I greased the bearing buddies and getting ready for a drive up to the dealer.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 12:20am
Al did you complete the "wiggle" continuity test of the fuel pump relay earth wire?

Remove valve from fuel rail schrader valve before reconnecting pressure gauge?

I can almost feel your frustration. I know you are not comfortable with multi meter. Wish I was closer would like to see the resolution to this problem first hand. Do you know anyone who has some experience with electrics and can handle a meter?

Maybe there is some CCfan's close by who can help you. Randy-in-Ohio is a great bloke that I met at GL in 2009. He would be able to help you but not sure how far Canton Ohio is away from you.

The dealer maybe the last resort but I would make sure they are familiar with the GT40 before I wasted money paying for them to learn.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 12:59am
Lewy, yes I seemed to reach my peak, and then when the battery died and the clamp broke, I was about ready to buy a Mastercraft.   I have cooled down some now, but still thinking I don't have the time to dink with this every night after working 10 or 11 hours. My wife wants me to paint some rooms in the house and mulch the yard.

Last night, I tested the continuity of the relay to pin 52. While doing it, I wiggled the big bunch of wires under the ECM. It didn't move the needle at all. I have inspected the wires and do not see any nicks or cuts, did not feel any heated areas. I moved the wires around on the circuit breakers. I grabbed the wires running to fuel pump and wiggled them.

How can the pumps prime, and then run like crud?
the pressure gauge is still hooked up as I had it. When I prime the pumps a few times, it goes to 40psi. when running today, it seemed to read consistent until the engine was missing, and during that time, it bounced all over down to zero and back up to pressure..

I jiggled wires while the boat was running and I didn't seem to pickup any changes. I moved the STO around some, and thought it seemed like it made some change, but still pressure was all over.. The STO is just a dead end terminal isn't it?

I don't know how good Silver Spray in Fenton Michigan is. My old dealer is closed. I have never needed the dealer for maintenance before...

I could take the ECM apart and do the 60 and 40 ground while wiggling.
I am pretty sure I wiggled the relay and 52 check for continuity..

Could the ECM be bad? This just isnt making sense.. I guess the low pressure pump could be bad too. I am rally wondering if I have more than one problem..

When I say the pressure jumped all over, the engine was missing and hissing again.. as it did in the video..

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 1:57am
Originally posted by AMB AMB wrote:

Could the ECM be bad? This just isnt making sense.. I guess the low pressure pump could be bad too. I am rally wondering if I have more than one problem..

I feel just like Lewey; I'd be happy to help do electrical troubleshooting. If you want to trailer it to the San Francisco area, just let me know.

Boy, you are obviously stressed/frustrated when you think you should buy a MC.

My quick low pressure test is to listen for the fuel return splashing, but if you haven't done the flow test into a container, that would be a good idea. My old pump was okay, but the flow was a bit low (I didn't have a low pressure test gauge to see what the PSI was). However, my problem wasn't at idle, it was under load when the low pressure pump couldn't keep up.

One thing telling to me is that even when you jump the pumps to the STO, you still had the problem. With the engine off, you have continual pumping and pressure when jumping. However, when running, the pressure goes all over the place (per your previous video) even when jumped. So it could be a ground connection (same symptoms when jumped and not jumped when the engine is running (and things are vibrating)), an intermittent short that seems to happen due to the vibration when running, or something with the computer.

However, what still bugs me is (I just watched the video again):
1. PSI dropping to zero and staying at zero but the engine keeps running. No logical explanation for that.    When you tested this evening, did the engine die when it hit zero PSI, or did it still run for a while?

2. I noticed that the loud hissing sound we here is happening while the pressure is going up. If that is the sound of the pump sucking air, the pressure would not be going up. So something different is going on there. Have you been able to get a better idea of where that sound is coming from? If you watch from 0:29, the engine is running fine from about 0:05 up to that point. Then you hear a click, the pressure drops, and engine starts dropping. The hissing then "changes" to a different hissing, the pressure goes back up, the hissing stops, and then the pressure drops.

I think you need to go back to the hissing sounds and the action of the pressure gauge (while still considering a short or other wiring issue). First, the sound seems to be coming from the spark arrester area (throttle body) since it was the loudest in the video at 0:15 just when you were passing the spark arrester and the hissing started and the engine smoothed out and ran normal until 0:30. Also, note at 030, there seems to be a "click" (like a big relay or something else), followed by the first type of soft hiss, then, the loud hiss starts, PSI goes up, etc.

Also, the loping from 0:30 to about 0:45 is very uneven, but the loping stabilized at a frequency from 0:45 on (and then it sounds like my hot restart loping--the difference being that when my engine is loping, my PS fluctuates between 32 and 40psi, which is caused by the different manifold vacuum pressure during the peaks and valleys of the loping RPM). Your PSI goes to zero (again, don't see how that is possible).

I certainly agree that if you are going to take it in, that you confirm that the dealer has a lot of experience with a GT40 first. If it was me, I'd go back to the hissing, clicking, and other noises we hear on the video and I'd find the absolute source of each. Again, this could all be a ground/short or computer issue, but since there are other things going on besides the loping, I'd want to trace back these noises to their source, and assuming there is something electrical that is causing these noises to happen, I'd then trace them.

Also, one other test I'd do is to go ahead and confirm the + and - terminals on both pumps, and I'd actually jump them directly to the battery, and then start and run it. That bypasses everything. Then see if it runs good, or if you get the clicking/hissing, drop in pressure, or loping. If so, it is NOT an electrical connection to the pumps.

So my two cents. Bypass everything and run it with the pumps both connected to the battery, and then if you still have the problem (including dropping PSI), find out for sure where those noises are coming from.

Then let us know. We don't want you to have to take it in if we can help it!! But I understand the frustration (maybe I'd get frustrated enough to buy a Malibu, but never a MC). :-)
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:06am
That is a good idea on direct wiring the pump. The noises are really hard to pinpoint. In the old days, I took a funnel with a plastic hose attached to it and listened for odd noise in an engine compartment. Maybe that will work, I just might need a larger funnel now that I am getting older!

You are correct on the Malibu vs MC, but at the moment, I was on the dark side..

AB
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:17am

You are correct on the Malibu vs MC, but at the moment, I was on the dark side..

AB

Really!! I'm LOL! That's a good one. I'll have to use that one on some of the MC owners in our club!

I believe Harbor Freight has a mechanic's stethoscope for cheap. Haven't picked one up yet, but I'm finding the hose bit doesn't work as well (as I'm getting older too).

Hope the pump jump to battery tells you a lot and the noises can be isolated. I'm getting frustrated with the electrical stuff (so you must really be frustrated), so focusing on some mechanical stuff that doesn't make sense for me is a good diversion (even if it just eliminates some stuff).
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 9:07am
It seems odd that this time the boat stalled and then would not start. No sputter at all.   Pressure gauge was at 40. So gas was there. I pushed all the breakers in too.

What keeps troubling me is the boat ran fine last year,mand then wham, all this.   It is hard to believe a loose wire or ground would cause all of this aloof a sudden.

My WAG is that I have some sort of part failure, or a couple things.   For sure power to the pumps was or is an issue but why no fire after the stall seems troubling.

I did not crank that long on the battery, unless running the jumped STO takes more power than I give credit.

What killed my battery so fast? I didn't feel any hot wires.   The battery charged back up within a short period of time on my charger.

All questions I have been dwelling on.   
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:46am
Al it could be a bad computer. But my guess is still a bad connection. With the pumps priming and not priming intermittently after disturbing wires it really points to that.

Just need to back track a bit. You may be over it so disregard following if so.

If the Fuel pump relay earth wire to ECA continuity tested OK with jiggling of wiring harness. We can rule out that hopefully.

How did you end up getting the meter leads connected while moving wiring loom? You need to make sure the connection of leads is good so you can see if the wiggling was causing the high resistance reading on meter or it was just the meter leads having a bad connection at test points.

With the STO jumper installed and fuel pressure gauge connected. Without valve inside Schrader housing. I dont trust the readings on your pressure gauge until you do that. The fuel pumps kept running while wiggling wiring loom, relay connectors and tapping circuit breaker terminals.
And the fuel pressure stayed around 40psi. Correct???
This will confirm that pumps are running and there is fuel available in the rail.

The flat battery could just be a combination of the age of battery combined with the loss of charge over winter layup period.

Cranking without starting is another issue especially if you have 40 psi fuel pressure at rail. I chased a intermittent hot start problem all summer. I purchased a Ford Code Reader (this is what the STO connector is really for) to help isolate the problem. They are inexpensive and may be useful in the future. With the help of the code reader I was finally able to fix my problem.

Just confirm the above points to yourself to make sure you are not missing or misinterpreting the symptoms.

89 Ski

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That really sucks about the old FCC parts not being offered anymore, but it must prove that the old design was flawed with that epoxy wire plug thing and not worth making parts for.

Something about this came up on PN recently:
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?22582-Leaking-Fuel-Control-Cell-%28FCC%29&p=178191#post178191
They make some kind of retro kit.

I also noticed a retro kit at White Lake Marine (Nautiqueparts)
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/kitfccpassthruretrofit.aspx

Is that the same thing you are talking about?
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 2:00pm
I asked my local dealer about cleaning out the asv and reusing it. He says he has tried it several times, but that once they get sticky, even with cleaning, they tend to get sticky more easily. He hasn't had any luck getting them cleaned and back into service.

I'm at the point where I will be changing them out like an impeller, if only to avoid the seemingly regular issues with it on the water.

My boat sits more than I would like, which certainly doesn't help the problem.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

That really sucks about the old FCC parts not being offered anymore, but it must prove that the old design was flawed with that epoxy wire plug thing and not worth making parts for.

Something about this came up on PN recently:
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/showthread.php?22582-Leaking-Fuel-Control-Cell-%28FCC%29&p=178191#post178191
They make some kind of retro kit.

Is that the same thing you are talking about?

Hmph. I had the leak in 2006 and they sent me the replacement wiring harness for the FCC. AB had the same problem and they said they no longer offered the part so he bought a whole new FCC! If they are offering some sort of retrofit now that's terrific.

My original PN post
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:30pm
Shot in the dark, but I wonder if there is some debris/clog in the fuel rail that is intermittantly blocking the schrader valve and that part of the rail. Is there a schrader valve on the opposite rail that you could test pressure from?
C-Rob

2000 SAN
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:49pm
I was wondering if I should take the fuel line going up to the rail off and then try to blow air back through and out by the FCC. I could try that. It has to be a very small chance that something got past the low pressure pump filter, the FCC filter, and up to the rail.. Could be coincident with the fuel pump not priming and shutting down to zero though...
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 3:55pm

Is that the same thing you are talking about?[/QUOTE]

Yes! Too bad they didn't have the kit available last year !! I bought my FCC from White Lake. They even called PCM on it.. maybe I got something started? You all can thank me!! Send donations my way!!

At least I can get an adaptor for my old FCC and it might be worth something on Ebay or Ski it Again..

crobi2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobi2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 4:18pm

I was wondering if I should take the fuel line going up to the rail off and then try to blow air back through and out by the FCC. I could try that. It has to be a very small chance that something got past the low pressure pump filter, the FCC filter, and up to the rail.. Could be coincident with the fuel pump not priming and shutting down to zero though...

What made me think of it was the fact that some FCCs had deterioration in the fuel line going from the high pressure pump to the outlet on the FCC. This problem generally presented though as complete loss of pressure. If that hose has deteriorated, it may be possible that you are loosing pressure there, or something has passed through to the fuel rail.

EDIT: Sorry, I just reread that you have a new FCC, so I guess the only possibility is something that came from the old FCC before you changed it out.
C-Rob

2000 SAN
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 4:34pm
I think the fuel lines are braded, so collapsing one would be hard. I have thought of a line collapsing, but don't see or feel any soft lines.

My anti syphon valve was a year old last year when the problem started.

I may check the ground on the ECM and wiggle test, but we have mid-80's today and I should be skiing vs wrenching in the garage!!!!
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 4:36pm
Have you run it off of a remote tank yet, just to totally rule out fuel supply?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 4:54pm

but we have mid-80's today and I should be skiing vs wrenching in the garage!!!!

I feel you here, Its supposed to be nice all week/weekend and my boats at FFM for a transmission rebuild. I guess I should have got it up there sooner. Who knew.
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by crobi2 crobi2 wrote:

What made me think of it was the fact that some FCCs had deterioration in the fuel line going from the high pressure pump to the outlet on the FCC. This problem generally presented though as complete loss of pressure. If that hose has deteriorated, it may be possible that you are loosing pressure there, or something has passed through to the fuel rail.

EDIT: Sorry, I just reread that you have a new FCC, so I guess the only possibility is something that came from the old FCC before you changed it out.

That's actually interesting in that I had the outlet hose from my high pressure pump in the FCC develop a pinhole that caused a loss in pressure (that took a while to find!). The hose was deteriorating, and since it is after the filter, anything coming off the hose would get pumped into the rails and to the injectors. I don't think that would cause these weird symptoms, but anything is possible (and something I might want to look at with my hot start loping problem). I still want to know where the hissing sounds come from and what happens when you run it while the pumps are jumped directly to the battery. I'm not a betting man, but would expect the engine to run fine with no problem with the pumps directly connected to the battery (meaning an electrical problem). If the engine still exhibits the problems with the pumps wired direct to the battery, then a look at the hoses, junk in the rails, etc. would be a next check item. Even so, gotta figure out what the hiss is, the clicks when the hissing starts, etc.
AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 9:51pm
I took the ECM stem out again.

Tested the relay and 60 and 40 to ground with wiggle test. No breaks.   Also wiggled the main ground on back of block.

Tested relay purple/red and is over 10 volts like manual sates.   So does that mean all the in lime breakers are good tool?

What is the breaker box that the manual alludes to? It says to install breaker box and then test.

lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:01pm
Al the breakout box is a connector that allows you access to the connectors of the 60 pin ECA connector while it is still connected to the computer.

Al have you confirmed yet this yet.....

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

With the STO jumper installed and fuel pressure gauge connected. Without valve inside Schrader housing. I dont trust the readings on your pressure gauge until you do that. The fuel pumps keep running while wiggling wiring loom, relay connectors and tapping circuit breaker terminals.
And the fuel pressure stayed around 40psi. Correct???
This will confirm that pumps are running and there is fuel available in the rail.

and this also.......

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Also check the output of low pressure pump as mentioned previously. This is achieved by disconnecting the high pressure pump electrical connections at FCC. Remove fuel hose from low pressure pump to FCC and place it in a container. Install the jumper to STO terminal it should pump about a US Quart in around 15-20 seconds.

Trouble shooting problems like this is just logical thinking but you must diagnose and confirm before moving on !!!!!

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:35pm
I havent checked the output of the low pressure pump. I think I should do that test outside the garage, and that won't happen tonight.
Mabye late Saturday or Sunday. I am tied up until then...

Should I try to start the engine and test the schrader pressure with the valve out or just jump the STO? When I jump the STO, with valve in, I see 40 psi continuous. Only with engine running does it jump around..

I spoke to the dealer in WA tonight, and they said to check the fuse off positive battery, which I don't have, and check the kill switch. I can jump the kill switch, but it is only 2 years old. I have wiggled it around some while the pumps don't prime, and didn't seem to change anything. They also gave Silver Spray high marks for working on GT40's, so if I don't figure this out over the weekend, it seems like they could be a final sanity measure..
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:49pm

Should I try to start the engine and test the schrader pressure with the valve out or just jump the STO? When I jump the STO, with valve in, I see 40 psi continuous. Only with engine running does it jump around..

I agree with Lewy. I still don't trust the readings on the gauge since EVERY time my PSI has dropped to zero, the engine stops dead.

Definitely start it with the schrader valve out and the gauge on it. Since you have the gauge on now, just press the release button on the gauge to bleed down any pressure, then remove the gauge, remove the schrader valve, and reconnect the gauge.

If it then still exhibits the symptoms (no reason why it wouldn't), the I'd jump the pumps to the battery and repeat the same engine-on test. If the symptions are still there, then I'd figure out where the clicks and hissing are coming from.   (I know I'm saying it over and over again, but it's bugging me that I can't figure out where those sounds are coming from since they are indications of the problem).
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:52pm
FYI, if the engine is off and the pumps go on and off (wiggling wires, etc.), the PSI is going to stay the same since the bleed down is slow. Pressure should never drop fast if the engine isn't running.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:53pm

Do it first jumpering STO but don't leave out the wiggling.

If that tests OK. Do it with engine running.

Don't forget that low pressure pump output test though.

The WA dealer seems to know his way around GT40's he gave you the 2 most common faults. For interest could you take some pictures of your wiring around the power assist relay. It will probably confirm for me how PCM modified the wiring when they removed the inline 50 amp fuse in battery box.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:54pm
What is the power assist relay? Sorry.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 12:22am
It is up underneath the bracket that holds ECM near the fuel pump and ECC relays. The main battery +ve cable runs to it and then to starter motor.
It is the same starter solenoid that earlier models used.

Oops I should not have sidetracked you. Stay on track with above posts.

89 Ski

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 1:18am
Here are some pics of the panel, Schrader, and my home made lake setup.
The STO and 60 PIN coupler are not in place.

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 1:22am
What color line is postive on the low pump?

I imagine that getting that crossed wouldn't be a good idea!

Thanks
slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 4:18am

What color line is postive on the low pump?

I imagine that getting that crossed wouldn't be a good idea!

Thanks

I don't know without testing. Fastest way is to unplug the connector. Then with your multi-meter on Ohms, first make absolutely sure the power is off on the boat. Touch the two leads together to make sure you are getting zero or nearly zero resistance. Then put the one lead somewhere on the engine (ground), and the other lead to one of the connector pins from the relay. If it is zero or almost zero resistance, that is the ground side and the other side comes from the battery.

You can then see how the plug from the relay plugs into the plug to the pump, and therefore tell which side of the pump side plug needs to go to ground, and which side needs to go to the battery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic