NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

---

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ---
    Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:00am
-
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:37am
Did you have a heat problem before the maintenance? Impeller right direction?
...those who have fallen and those who will.
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:54am
-
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:22am
Where all the impeller blades accounted for? Any missing? Where the blades installed in the same direction it which they came out? The real experts will likely chime in @ 4-5 a.m EST. They can likely elaborate more and give you some expert advice.
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 2:00am
-
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 2:09am
there may be blades of past failed impellers impeding flow...
This is the life
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 2:18am
-

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 7:22am
Originally posted by waker319 waker319 wrote:

Where would you think the blockage could be at?

Possibly in the motor. What kind of water was previous owner boating in? Check all connections as well. Tighten all with a nut driver, not a screw driver. Again, hang tight help is on the way.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:43pm
I haven't done a thermostat on one of these yet but can it be installed upside down/backwards.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:36pm
How about your water strainer, gasket in place?
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 2:05pm
-
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 2:13pm
Im trying to understand your symptoms better. Can you please correct the following statements?

1. It runs 160 on the hose without a thermostat.

2. It runs 200 on the hose with both the new and old thermostat.

If thats the case, then clearly the problem is not thermostat related. The engine should be struggling to break 100 degrees without a stat.

Have you had the boat on the lake to see how it runs? Have you tried revving the engine to see if the temps come down? With no load on the trailer, it should be artificially easy for the engine to maintain temperature... so something is wrong. Without knowing how it acts on the water though, its a little tough to pinpoint. It would probably have to be a pretty major air leak combined with insufficient water flow for that to be the problem. I would lean towards a blockage in the system or a RWP needing a rebuild.

If you have already inspected for blockages and come up empty, I would start by testing the RWP. Dump the fake a lake and make the pump pull from a bucket instead of forcing water up to it. If it struggles to pump water, youve found your culprit.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 2:23pm

There's also water coming out of the exhaust so that means thermostat opens right??

Wrong. The RWP is always pumping a given GPM of water. The engine takes what it needs to keep the engive warm via the opening position of the T stat. The given GPM is always constant through the manifolds and out the tail end. It's just a little warmer if the T stat is open sending water through the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 2:53pm
1. You have an air leak.

2. You might have put the pump on backwards and the hose is pushing enough water to keep it around 195.

Put a hose from the RWP into a bucket full of water (with the hose filling it) and see what happens. If it puts out bubbles you have the pump backwards. If it cools it you have a leak between the RWP and the inlet.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

1. You have an air leak.

If these symptoms were on the lake, then I would agree. But I run on the trailer with a gross air leak (I do not shut off the intake grate path on my tee'd water input) and never run above 160.

The fact that he runs 160 with no stat is indicative of a water flow problem. I think the the RWP test is a good place to start.
watrski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watrski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by watrski watrski wrote:

1. You have an air leak.

If these symptoms were on the lake, then I would agree. But I run on the trailer with a gross air leak (I do not shut off the intake grate path on my tee'd water input) and never run above 160.

The fact that he runs 160 with no stat is indicative of a water flow problem. I think the the RWP test is a good place to start.

TB-

You might be correct, but you are assuming that he has the water turned up full pressure.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 3:15pm
Im not assuming anything... but if he's supplying very low water pressure to the RWP, then Id still say thats a water flow problem, not an air leak problem.

Still, it shouldnt take a ton of water to keep the engine cool at idle, in neutral.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Still, it shouldnt take a ton of water to keep the engine cool at idle, in neutral.

Not much at all. A gal. of gas contains 114,000 BTU's. At idle, it takes quite a long time to burn 1 gal. Removing 1 BTU, one pound of water will only increase in temp 1 degree and we all know the cooling water gets hotter than a delta T of one degree.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
1989SN2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:41pm
If you're getting plenty of water out the exhaust, perhaps you have a blockage or you have a circulation pump issue. Is the circulation pump turning freely? Excessive shaft play? If the circulation pump is not working, the RWP would likely supply enough pressure to push some water through the engine, but not much, perhaps this explains the 160 with no tstat and 200 with a tstat.

Has the engine been rebuilt recently or had the heads off? Head gaskets can be and are often installed backwards on the SBF engine and will result in running very hot.
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:41pm
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:46pm
-
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:48pm
[QUOTE=waker319]
(( the first picture is something i saw after the strainer (in order as in coming in from hull intake) it looks like a filter but theres hoses coming out to engine block and tranny... i checked for blockage but it was clear... ))

That is your transmission cooler. You did check the bottom for blockage?
83Ski
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:51pm
-
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:52pm
And you're really sure you didn't somehow rotate the whole pump body around by accident. AKA, which way is your impeller set screw facing?

Check out these directions, they make it pretty easy:
http://aquaskier.com/articles/impeller_replacement.htm
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:54pm
It looks like you have the 1.23 transmission, is that correct?
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:54pm
-
dwcar View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwcar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:54pm
I was talking about the bottom of the transmission cooler. They get clogged sometimes
83Ski
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:57pm

i strongly believe it must be something with the impeller cuz i never had a problem before... this just happened after i replaced it... can someone confirm if i had replaced it correctly?

Just for laughs, see if you can confirm that your impeller pulley is definitely turning the shaft. I thought I read something on her about a key coming out of the keyway, and then the shaft wouldn't turn the impeller.
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 4:58pm
-
waker319 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waker319 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 5:01pm
-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic