NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Owner
    Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:51am
I have a few questions that I know you guys can help me with. I bought my first boat a few weeks ago and have taken it out three times with no real issues...or so I thought. I notice this morning when looking at my new purchase before work that I have some dings on my prop and marks on my trailer. I guess I had it in to deep when loading this past weekend. It was getting dark and I was rushing I guess. Can I continue to use or do I need to have the prop fixed first? I also need to replace my fuel gauge... Do I just remove the thumb screws and pull the entire dash off??? Last but not least one of the places I go I'm launching in fresh and riding down into brackish water...Is the ride back enough of a flush or do I need to get a flush kit and flush more when I get home?

Here it is My new toy 93 Sport Nautique and the damage.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 11:57am
What's wrong with the fuel gauge?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 12:07pm
The gauge separated from the glass lense so it just fell back into the dash.
Reached into the place you would install the radio and pulled it down so I can see how much fuel I have. Thought about trying epoxy to attach it back to the lense and then reinstall.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:11pm
I would think if your spending a good amount of time in fresh water at the end of the trip, that should be just as good if not better than a flush on the hose.

The prop, hmmm, not sure. It doesn't look too bad, as long as you're not feeling a vibration. Is it the original prop? If so, you would probably get improved performance by going with a newer ACME.

You can remove the thumb screws, and (gently) lift the dash, yup. You can remove the whole thing, but you might be getting into a bigger job than you really need too. A few things would have to be disconnected etc., although, it's not a big deal. If you can get to the bracket fastener, you can leave the dash attached. It helps if you have someone who can hold it up for you, or rest it on the steering wheel.

One place you can find your gauge on this page:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/gauges_fuel.aspx
I think it is the top row, middle for your boat.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:11pm
And, BTW, very nice boat
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:26pm
I would say, you should get it fixed, next time you take it out, it will vibrate (and you will likely see a degradation in performance). It may not seem bad, but the vibration is going to start to reek havoc on everything upstream (transmission, engine, etc). You might want to consider purchasing a ACME422, that has been a very good upgrade, especially if you are predominately wakeboarding. TRBenj can confirm for sure (as I have the next generation Sport hull)but I thnk that 422 would be a good upgrade. Delta Prop has a discount for CCF, so check there first for prices.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:35pm
I'd upgrade that prop to a new ACME before fixing it...you can keep it around/fix it up as a spare. That's odd that it can hit the trailer, with your uprights you shouldn't be able to hit that trailer with the prop, even though you clearly did. Wonder if you need to do a little trailer modification so that can't happen again?

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:44pm
Congrats on the new boat!!

FYI, Your Flite Pipe (Extended Pylon) should not be attached to the front lifting ring, if you have a strap in front, it should wrap around the bow down to the tow ring.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:45pm
I have a rebuilt by ACME 422 I would consider letting go of.................... I think.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

That's odd that it can hit the trailer, with your uprights you shouldn't be able to hit that trailer with the prop, even though you clearly did. Wonder if you need to do a little trailer modification so that can't happen again?

No so odd Mike, it's happened to me. Shallow ramp reversing off, prop "paddle wheels" the boat to the port, bam your in the trailer. The guide posts have to be wide enough to allow the beam through, but with the taper to the stern, you can't set them close enough to keep it from happening. One prop repairs later and I have learned no matter what DON'T RUSH!!!!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

That's odd that it can hit the trailer, with your uprights you shouldn't be able to hit that trailer with the prop, even though you clearly did. Wonder if you need to do a little trailer modification so that can't happen again?

No so odd Mike, it's happened to me. Shallow ramp reversing off, prop "paddle wheels" the boat to the port, bam your in the trailer. The guide posts have to be wide enough to allow the beam through, but with the taper to the stern, you can't set them close enough to keep it from happening. One prop repairs later and I have learned no matter what DON'T RUSH!!!!

Interesting...Good to know!!!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 2:47pm
Thanks for all the quick replies.
mdvalant shoot me a pm with a price on that ACME 422. The prices i'm seeing online scare me seeing how I'm in pretty deep so fare. I'm sure it would lower my top end and just give me a better hole shot right?

skutsch I've been concerned when backing off every time with the potential of hitting the trailer, but I just looked at the pics again and with the marks on the trailer being were they are I had to have done it loading I think...correct me if I'm wrong guess I could have drifted over once I cleared and just nicked it.

quinner the pic of the flite pipe being strapped to the lift ring was a pic from the previous owner, but thanks for looking out for me on that one.

with all of this being said I'm backing in to were the fenders are just under the water maybe 1-3 inches and still have to give it a nice bump on the throttle to start moving backwards. Is this wright or wrong? Not a lot of inboards around me just bass boats. I know the ramp has a lot to do with this I just don't know how to read it yet.

Lovin this site
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 2:49pm
forgot to mention that my speedo's are not working correct so I guess when I have the dash off for the fuel gauge I'll take a quick look to make sure the hose isn't cracked.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 2:59pm
Ross - for launching, I just keep going back until I see the stern start to float. If the ramp is not steep enough for that, then as deep as I can get it. For loading, I go just deep enough so the fenders are just under the water. This seems to work for both my 98 and my Dad's 63 Ski. Completely different trailers, but the theory seems to work.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 6:04pm
I also noticed on lunch some red colored oily substance around the drain plug on lunch. transmission fluid???
were to check on that one would be a great help as well. pray its a loose hose or something simple.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 6:12pm
okay I found that it might be the flange nut washer leaking....and that's located????
Hey I'm an IT Director, but I can learn and love my boat even with the problems.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 6:32pm
Hmmm, pics of what/where you're seeing would help.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:42pm
okay so this is the fuel gauge issue that appears to be an easy repair and then what I think in transmission fluid at the drain which is really scaring me at the moment. I took the boat out saturday and sunday. I noticed a little of the fluid before I went out sunday so I cleaned it up and checked the fluid levels in the tranny before going out. Ran the boat for about 1-1.5 hours and didn't see the fluid when I pulled the drain plug but in was there today on lunch...now I didn't notice the prop damage until this morning but I guess I might have did it saturday when unloading which might be the reason I saw it there sunday when prepping to go out again. Do you think that the little prop ding could be causing the leak or not and why would it only show up after the boat sits over night.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:45pm
I'll let other comment on the tranny leak. Not sure on that one.

On the gauge, you're right should be easy. Just bear in mind, that the old style most likely used a blade connection, and the newer one, might need a ring terminal. But that will be easy to change if it is the case.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:50pm
See if you can slide a piece of cardboard under the engine to see where the leak is coming from. Yes, it's trans fluid. The most likely spot it the front seal on the trans and that will leak out of the bell housing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 8:57pm
well that sounds like its gonna cost me some money!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

See if you can slide a piece of cardboard under the engine to see where the leak is coming from. Yes, it's trans fluid. The most likely spot it the front seal on the trans and that will leak out of the bell housing.

I agree, however, you also might check the shift lever input.   My gaskets were leaking, and it costs about $4.00 to fix.   One good reason to do some checking, clean everything really well, do the cardboard trick, and maybe even check with the engine running, and a flash light and mirror to see if you can find the leak.   BTW, your bilge looks pretty clean,   this leak has to be pretty new, or you'd see a nice oil slick in there
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 9:14pm
card board is in place and the leak didn't start until this past weekend. this was the second and third time I took the boat out after purchasing it. strange that I don't see it until the next day both times. btw I just checked the fluid level and it's still good so no damage done just a pain in the butt leak to fix I guess.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2012 at 10:08pm
One other easy thing to check would be the transmission fluid cooler, which is mounted externally to the transmission. The cooling water intake line runs through it.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 9:26am
Ross, first of all welcome to CCFan, secondly, NICE Boat!

No one adressed your speedo problem so first thing to do is check to make sure the pitots aren't clogged up. That's usually the culprit so I remove the rubber tubing from the top of the pick up (Pitot) use a syringe with rubber tubing filled with water connect it to the pitot and force the obstruction out. If you don't have the means to do this a small fish hook usually works to dig out the trash partially blocking the hole.
Let us know what you find out.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:08pm
Nice boat,
Not sure on your trailer if you can move the front stop back, but if you can that would prevent from driving to far forward. My problem comes from getting off in to shallow of water, The boat will pull to one side, If this happens bump it into forward and straighten before it gets over to the side.
Good look Mike
Lakedog55
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

Nice boat,
Not sure on your trailer if you can move the front stop back, but if you can that would prevent from driving to far forward.

Before suggesting moving the bow stop back, it's good advice to check the tongue weight first. It should be at least 10% of the trailer GVW.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

My problem comes from getting off in shallow water

Sorry Mike, that one was just too obvious not to post!

I'd check the trans cooler lines as well. I've seen several split at the cooler and dump fluid into the bilge. If this is the case, you may not see them leaking while running because the fluid has to travel down the line and then the bell housing to get to the bilge.
Tiger76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 3:32pm
So it would only leak while running and under pressure?
93 Sport Nautique
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2012 at 4:21pm
well, it is only a problem if spectators are around.
On the tranny leak you could get a paper towel and start checking underneath the bell housing, round cooler, shaft tail.
Pete is pretty sharp on his advice so the 10% thing is most likely the way it is supposed to be, I have an older trailer and moved the bow stops back so That I can lift the tongue if needed. Granted I have to take a few breaths and will not be holding it up for very long.
Thanks Mike
Lakedog55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic