NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
Author
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

After looking at your first post the 3/4 wood floor starts after the battery box. It looks like your new stringers start the notch for the 3/4 floor a little to far forward?? Could be the picture angle??

I also didn't like the way the stringers just ended so I built in a bulk head.

The cutout for the 3/4 sub floor is in the same place as the original stringer, I think my initial problem is coming from my measurements to cut down the stringer because I will be putting 1/2 on top of the entire floor. I think I may have figured a way around the clearance issue, but am still thinking of placing that battery under the bow on the air box to keep it above the water line. I was just curious if the weight change would alter the ride at all.

I have also built a forward bulkhead to tie all four stringers together, this will serve as the forward part of the battery box.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:41pm
Bee, I hate the in-floor battery position and will be running two batteries anyway. So I insulated the crap out of the battery box and turned it into a (beer)cooler with drain plug and hinged lid. The batteries will go up, way up under the dash in front of the drivers feet in boxes.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:47pm
Killer, this kinda my thought process but wanted to see what others thought.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 9:11am
Allen,
Did you get the correct group size battery? What's your concern about keeping the battery above the waterline?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 9:57am
Two batteries on the air box will add approx. an extra 100lbs to the driver’s side. Don't forget you have all your vent hoses and wiring conduit coming up through the top of the box. Plus it would be a pain in the a$$ getting at them for servicing.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 5:47pm
Just a thought you may be able to make/let a box into the floor partially and the rest up out of the floor between the observer seat ally frames and between the main and sub stringers depending on your battery size, if you’re lucky you may fit 2 in width ways up into the bow or may need to go end to end up into the bow......hinge the seat frame and just unscrew back lock thumb screw and fold over to access battery pack/box.... may be worth playing around with.
Keep up the great work.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 6:26pm
I know a guy who has two batteries up front on drivers side plus a couple bass speakers and he wonders why the boat won't drive level-It always leans to the drivers side. I think he's gonna rip it all out because it kills top speed and makes a screwed up wake too. His is a Sanger but the theory is the same.

This is the life
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Allen,
Did you get the correct group size battery? What's your concern about keeping the battery above the waterline?

My concern from the battery below the water line stems from my experience with offshore boats and the thought of a battery shorting out in a rough sea if it gets swamped with water. This has happened to me and several other acquaintances through the years. I always move my batteries from the bilge area on my fishing boats if they are located there.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Two batteries on the air box will add approx. an extra 100lbs to the driver’s side. Don't forget you have all your vent hoses and wiring conduit coming up through the top of the box. Plus it would be a pain in the a$$ getting at them for servicing.

Thanks man. However, I am relocating all the air hoses and conduit to the starboard side of the air box and would put the battery (more than likely only one, not two) on the center line and not to one side or the other.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

I know a guy who has two batteries up front on drivers side plus a couple bass speakers and he wonders why the boat won't drive level-It always leans to the drivers side. I think he's gonna rip it all out because it kills top speed and makes a screwed up wake too. His is a Sanger but the theory is the same.

Thanks, the wake and top speed is something I am concerned with on this idea because I am not real familiar with these boats. Do you think your friend would ok if he moved his batteries to the center line, and maybe only ran with one?
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by HatterBee HatterBee wrote:

Allen,

My concern from the battery below the water line stems from my experience with offshore boats and the thought of a battery shorting out in a rough sea if it gets swamped with water. This has happened to me and several other acquaintances through the years. I always move my batteries from the bilge area on my fishing boats if they are located there.

Well, you don't need to worry about the 77SN encountering heavy seas!

12 volts under water will do nothing. With a battery bank of 48 volts on a off shore maybe but that's SALT water! I truly feel you are overreacting in this case and not understanding the issue.

In the cases of the battery banks shorting, did the boats take on that much water or weren't the batteries secured per USCG regs?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:45pm

12 volts under water will do nothing. With a battery bank of 48 volts on a off shore maybe but that's SALT water! I truly feel you are overreacting in this case and not understanding the issue.

Pete, I am not so sure about over-reacting, but I am probably over-thinking this thing. However, I do think I have the issue worked out to allow me to install in the bilge area as it came, but I still wanted to get some thoughts from others if they had placed their batteries up forward. Thanks again for all your help!!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 10:50pm
yes and yes. I'm trying to get him to pull the bass out, run one battery just off centerline to passenger side, which is the oem location roughly.

you'd likely be fine running the battery in the centerline or close. I am somewhat guessing here but I know your type of boat has a pretty good bowrise to the holeshot and so a battery mounted more forward might help keep the bow a bit lower but it will also possibly slow the topend a little. there are always trade offs.

Somebody on here must have done some battery relocating and would know better than I.
Along the lines of what Pete was saying I think if you've got enough water in the boat to short the battery you've got some serious trouble no matter what. But if it were mounted a bit higher I can't see how it would hurt.
This is the life
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:08pm
Thanks Andy, yeah I know there is serious issues if there is enough water in that hole. At least in a lake you are not too far from shore.

The last time I an issue like that we had a valve on a seacock break and we started to take on water about 30 miles off Morehead City NC. It shorted out the engine batteries located in the bilge which were running the bilge pumps. Luckily I had a spare pump rigged with alligator clips and an electronics battery in the console. We were able to pump the water out enough to jam a wooden peg in the thru hull and get back to shore.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

if you've got enough water in the boat to short the battery you've got some serious trouble no matter what.

Andy,
Yes, if the water gets that high in the bilge, there's a problem! However, understand that a 12 volt battery under water doesn't have the power (volts) to short especially in fresh water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2012 at 11:38pm
Two or three caveats to my suggestion:
1) i run 100% in sea water.
2) I run a LH propeller, Odd I know..
3) I always have a full boat and with that much weight aft I need everything I can get fwd to clean the wash out.
4) Bonus! That location is much better served as a beer cooler on a boat with abysmal storage and no room for a proper cooler. Think about it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 2:08am
The cooler idea is pretty good.
Out in the ocean-whole nuther story. Stuff like that makes a lasting impression.
You can probably put the battery(s) where ever you like without issue.

Wasn't the battery originally only partially in floor?

I saw a chevy blazer once in water up to the windshield the guy reached around underwater and pulled the cable from his warn winch out and ran it to a tree and with the winch and battery underwater it pulled itself out. (So my 69 Jeepster Commando got a warn winch!) however the guy had turned the engine over-underwater and it bent all the rods-he got towed home.

Overall looks like this boat is going to come out real nice-better than new.
This is the life
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 8:38am
There always a plan B.........fit the batteries under the rear seat....one each side partially let into the floor space in-between as a cooler/sack/storage in a lift out tray/box or batteries in the middle again in a lift out tray/box and 2 tray/box each side for cooler/storage .....would be good to see and not seen it here yet on a 70’s SN there is allot of room in the middle as its after the log ........just needs to be well watertight seeing what you have done so far it would be, something to kick around here.......
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
TimSpangler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSpangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 10:24am
All this talk about battery relocating got me thinking, I have never seen anyone modify the gas tank (shorten the length) This would allow a battery on each side of the tank above the floor. I know currently on my 82 SN there may be about 8-10" on each side of the tank. Maybe a custom tank that is shorter in length and sloped in the front (to match the rear seat). This would make up the difference in volume perhaps?

Just thinking out loud.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 10:31am
Maybe Tim, custom aluminum tanks run about 12-15$ a gallon depending on builder and guage of plate. Its only a 20 gallon tank.

My boat will run in sea water, not the ocean. just sayin'....
TimSpangler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimSpangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 10:52am
I'm not ready for this yet, just thinking. One could "section" there stock tank (take out about 12+/-") near the end on the port side then just have it welded back together. May need to add an elbow neck to the side for the fuel inlet and weld the original location closed. I have an in floor cooler and battery box, this would give me (2) coolers.

I'll have to look into this a bit more. I won't be really worried about this until next year, when I replace the stringers.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2012 at 8:40pm
Thanks guys. I have actually thought about cutting the fuel tank or replacing it with a custom tank. But this process seems like a lot for now especially since the fuel tank is fine.

I have also looked into placing it in the rear under the back seat. This still maybe an option. This would allow multiple batteries and the idea of an in-floor cooler is appealing.

I have worked the numbers and with a slight shim on the forward part of the floor I can get a group 34 in that hole with a lid on top, so at least I can continue with the build and if I decide to place the battery up front or in the rear I can still do so.

I will keep everyone updated.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 12:34am

Just saw this thread, and man, does that boat bring back memories!

It was my first SN. I took out a college loan for the downpayment in 1978. Bought it with about 110 hours on it, and no mufflers. I loved that sound going down the river.

The pic is a little grainy when you zoom, but...

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2012 at 1:18am
Al, that's cool.

Do you have any more pictures? I am trying compile a mess of pictures of this era boat for when I start on the interior.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

AMB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2012 at 2:58pm
I'll have to dig into boxes of old pics we have somewhere.

My friend had a yellow on white same year.

We put a bunch of hours on those boats.

Great running.   Wakes are a little stiff by today's standards. Great trick wake and an awesome barefoot boat with a top speed close to 50. Had 4 footers up one day with WOT at 42. What new boat could do that today?

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 2:10am
Its funny that this post just popped up.
Originally posted by Brian32 Brian32 wrote:

I have a 78'Ski Nautique. Hoplefully someone has done this or knows who has done this and can help.. I just finsihed purchasing and installing a wakeboard tower with speakers, along with an extra battery and couple amps and a sub. I placed the extra battery, 2 amps and the 12' subwoofer in the bow of the boat where it could only fit.. not thinking the placement i added weight would hurt anything. Needless to say the extra weight made the front end sit lower in the water. More than i would prefer. It makes me nervous if i have someone else sitting up in the front beside me cause it adds more weight to the front end and the fact that its also low to the water as it is.. what is the best way to get the front to raise back up beside taking it all out? add weights in rear? add more foam? i have no clue.. if you know of anything plae let me know.. Thanks
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 10:55am
Paul, that is interesting. What thread did this come from.

I have pretty much decided to make it work to install the battery in its proper location, even if I have to raise the floor. Still only going with one though. Now is the time to do it.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 10:57am
A little update. I have been making progress with making the support ribs. I will post pics later. Still have a few more to cut out and then prep to glass in.

Not sure how much progress I will make in the next few weeks. I will be going on Family Vacation. Anybody, by chance, taking a Disney Cruise on Saturday??
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 9:02pm
Here are the updated pictures. All the support ribs have been cut and fitted. Now just have to glass them in. I should have this done before the end of May and then can move to fitting the floor panels.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2012 at 9:04pm
Oh yeah I forgot that I have to build the exhaust channels as well, but still should met the May goal.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 7>
  Share Topic