NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1977 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 6:19pm
Mike, sounds like he's going right to the source!

So the min order and additional shipping charges pertain specifically to the oddball (5'x12') size? Im sure thats why there was no mention of that in my quote from your RI facility.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 6:32pm
Tim,
When Fountain /Donzi/Proline were still going in NC we used to supply them with 1 1/2 x 5 x 10 sheets but since they are shut down we are not stocking that at this time.

Our Lakeland Florida C1 usually stocks the Brand Coosa in most densities in normal 4x8 sheet sizes based on the builders they supply and we stock the Baltek Airex here in Rock Hill SC.
We can get anything its just a matter of costs and lead times and freight charges. I can look at inventory for 30 plus of our locations in the US and Canada and see any items availble at any time. Composites One works with many of the core and glass companies and the boat builders to make engineered kits of glass and foam and Airex (Penske board) to make pre cut kits for each item to produce a hull or deck to speed up production. Not many know this but that is how it is done with most mfg's.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 7:00pm
Mike, thats some good insight- and it makes perfect sense that manufacturers would be working with you to kit everything up for them. Saves them a lot of planning and headaches (and of course, $$$!), Im sure.

The non-stocked items on my quote were noted, and had additional lead times, but no mention of additional freight charges. Maybe I would have run into that issue when it came time to order!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 7:24pm
Tim, That would be a good idea to ask David Paul in Bristol RI about shipping charges. On our regular delivery routes to our weekly customers the delivery charge is 15.00 if on our Composite one Trucks if it goes common carrier (Old Dominon southeastern etc) they have the rate based on material. The C1 locations that stock or supply boat building materials are Lakeland FL, Bristol RI, Rockland ME, Rock Hill,SC and Nashville TN based on population areas of our country's boat builders.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 7:36pm
Maybe Im confused- I was planning on having to pick up my materials at the distribution center (and assumed Allen would be doing the same). I thought he was getting hit with a freight charge to the store, not to his door.

If they can get the materials all the way to me for a reasonable price, even better!

Thanks again for turning us onto C1, btw- great resource for these materials!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 7:51pm
You can do a customer pick up for sure, You just need to arrange that all materials that are not stock be shipped to that location for pick up at same time with stocked items, Just makes things go smoother on that end. I will be glad to help in any way I can. I know the general public does not know how we operate since we are a major distributor to many. Jamestown dist,Paxton, Bluewater all buy in bulk direct from us on core, bonding materials, glass, Vectorply,Resin and Gel coat we sell mostly in large quantities, We get calls for a quart of resin and gel We joke about that because the miinmums are 5 gal pails and 55 gal drums.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 12:15am
Wow, Mike you didn't say anything about being on here. Still trying to determine the route I will take. I did talk to my salesman at Paxton again today and he said he could get me 1 sheet of the 3/4X12' it would just take about three to four weeks. I have someone else interested in some 3/4 also so I still may get the three sheets just not sure yet.

Either way I have definitely decided on the composite route.

Mike I will be in touch.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2012 at 1:18pm
Allen,
Just let me know I will be glad to help. We sell to Paxton they are one our resellers.
I just happened to look to see if you were on CCF site after you told me you were working on a Correct Craft and that is how I found you on this thread.

I have been in the Marine Industry almost 25 years now, I used to be the warranty manager for Skier's Choice (Supra and Moomba boats) in Maryville, TN for several years until the economy killed my job in 2009
and I got laid off. Then came to work for Composites One.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2012 at 11:51pm
Sorry for the lack of updates been juggling things around the house. I have ground down all the old glass on the port side, just need to do some leveling. I have laminated and installed the rear lifting, rudder, platform and exhaust backing plates. Just waiting on the rest of my coosa to come so I can start building my stringers.

Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2012 at 11:52am
Great work on the 77 thanks for sharing
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 2:00pm
Not a lot to update you guys with. But I have painted some engine parts and started to prep the port stringer for tracing as soon as I get my Coosa for the stringers.

I have started working on the Speedo Pod. I decided to change all my original gauges with new more modern gauges. With that change I needed to fabricate a new panel to raise the new "flush mounted" spedos in the same location as the originals. I have attached pictures of a prototype that I am working on. I will glass this and paint it. I have to fabricate a rear section to enclose the rear of the speedos, but I have a plan for and as soon as I make some progress there I will post.

Please let me know what you guys think or if you think I should change it any.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 3:39pm
Allen,
I really do not feel you want my opinion! Wait for others who may give you the advice needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 3:47pm
Pete I know where you stand on this issue. But your comments are welcome as I have learned a great deal from your post on mine and other threads here.

As for the gauges and other things that will be modernized. I just like the way they look and this way I am not always tied down to trying to find original replacements. If I have a problem or one goes out, I'll just buy a new one. Besides, my original gauges were in real bad shape and I sold them for more than it cost to replace all the gauges with new ones.

Thanks
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 11:19pm
The fact that you sold the originals that were in "bad shape" for more than what the new ones cost, speaks volumes.

Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2012 at 11:47pm
I like it Allen.
The Teleflex Sterling gauges are what I used in a '73 SN resto.   I think they are an attractive gauge.

What was in the hole to the far left? Depth finder?

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:28am
It was a radio remote. Not sure how I am going rearrange the gauges. I will have a radio remote but it will be larger than the standard 2" gauge hole.

I am thinking that the far left hole (non-original) will now hold the water temp, then to the right oil pressure, then volt, and fuel at the bottom. On the right of the steering wheel will be a small depth finder and the new radio remote.   Hour meter will be mounted under dash on the board for the glove box.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:32am
Ya know, you probably have enough room to install the speedos in the hump for better visibility.

Here's a pic of Jess W's 1973 with the Teleflex Sterlings.

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:35am
Originally posted by 80SN Barnfind 80SN Barnfind wrote:

The fact that you sold the originals that were in "bad shape" for more than what the new ones cost, speaks volumes.

Maybe so, but it was a good deal for me because I was going new anyway. Made perfect sense to me. The boat will not be original by any means because it will be rebuilt with coosa and I plan on replacing any part that I feel will look better new. At least this way I can help finance my rebuild with selling the old original stuff.

I know this is not method that many follow and that's ok. I like the way new and modern parts look and function. I would buy a newer boat but I can't drop that amount of cash and besides 1977 was a special year for me, which is why I bought it.

By the way, I really like your signature. It is so true and speaks volumes for the amount of knowledge and wisdom on this site. Thanks Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:37am
Al,
That piece of plastic sure looks better than a piece of old plywood!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:39am
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Ya know, you probably have enough room to install the speedos in the hump for better visibility.

Here's a pic of Jess W's 1973 with the Teleflex Sterlings.

I do have room but I thought it looked a little funny. I sketched a template and placed it up there, and to me it just didn't look right. Besides the tach is not in the middle of the hump and the rise in the pod makes it a little less noticeable.

Placing them in the the hump would be a whole lot easier. But I believe this will look better.

With my lack of knowledge on these boats...does the speedo pod rising above the hump really block visibility? I don't have a floor or seat at the moment to even try to see above it.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 12:41am
Pete, I thought the wood grain would add to the nostalgic look!!
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2012 at 1:23am
I think you are going to block the view.
The range on the speedos is too high, so using them in the normal skiing range they won't be as accurate. Since you are not going original why not go GPS? These garmin V's are about $50 on ebay.

I run a gps just over my gauges but my boat has almost no bowrise. No it's not a CC.

This is the life
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2012 at 8:43pm
Well guys a few updates for ya. Been busy the last few days. I have bedded both port side stringers and built the housing for the new speedo's.

I decided to shorten the speedo pod after hearing concern on the height and the idea it might block my view.

I also got the engine back from the machine shop and it is partially assembled. Pistons, bearings, crank and cam are in. Just need to paint the block and heads and then finish the assembly.

Until next time....Allen
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 1:48am
Sorry for the delay in updates.

I have reached a mile-stone today. I have completed the stringer installation. All four stingers have been bedded, tapped and capped. Now we move to building the two bulkheads, 26 supporting ribs and the exhaust channels.

More to come.

1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 9:24am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2012 at 12:44pm
Nice work!

No need to be sorry for delays in progress as long as there's still some progress!!!
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:00pm
Alright guys I have started to fit my forward bulkheads and I have found that the clearance for the battery is slim. I'm not sure how this happen, but I'm feel like the floor may be a little lower than it was. But thats ok. However, I was thinking about moving the battery from the bilge area to the bow on the topside of the air box. Moving the battery will put a little more weight forward but it will only be about 18" more forward than before.

What do yall think? I am thinking that this help with water in the bilge ad fitting the air ducks and cable chases.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:13pm
Allen,
Is it the actual battery box that's tight? Will the battery itself fit with some clearance? If so, I'd consider just glassing in the area forming your own box.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 5:54pm
After looking at your first post the 3/4 wood floor starts after the battery box. It looks like your new stringers start the notch for the 3/4 floor a little to far forward?? Could be the picture angle??

I also didn't like the way the stringers just ended so I built in a bulk head.
HatterBee View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HatterBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2012 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Allen,
Is it the actual battery box that's tight? Will the battery itself fit with some clearance? If so, I'd consider just glassing in the area forming your own box.

Pete, when I bought the boat there was no battery or battery lid so i am not sure how the old fit, but I am planning on a building my own box. The clearance is with the height of the battery being taller than the floor. I know I made the floor a little lower but I thought I could work around the battery. However, today I noticed that there is less clearance than I thought.

I have regrouped and believe I may be able to slant the floor slightly towards the bow and make it work. I will keep you informed. On a side note, do you think that moving that weight a little forward would be that bad? I like the idea of keeping the battery above the water line. I try to do this all the offshore boats I work on.
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

My Rebuild Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic