NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sander of choice

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sander of choice
    Posted: February-23-2012 at 1:12pm
So I am thinking a good air sander would be a good investment for wetsanding. I used a random orbital before and I feel like it left swirls, would a DA sander be preferable. Also I am not familiar with the pads for DA air sanders but it seems like its hard to find High grit (over 500) anyone have any good affordable suggestions on the best way to go for a weekend warrior?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 1:28pm
there is only one way to go for a weekend warrier and that is with the harbor freight wetsander, pads are available, but you are likely going to need to order online. I tell ya what you can come over and try my sander and pads out on a couple of the boats I have here, after you get through one or two of them you will have a good idea if you want to make the investment or not. You will probably need to finish them all the way through polish and wax to really get a feel for it though.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 1:40pm
haha nice joe!! Haul them down to ohio and Ill give you a hand.

I saw that little guy, 60 bucks and I was really tempted but then I saw it was listed as random orbit and I thought I may get swirls. Am I off base here. That was my original thought but then started thing maybe a plain DA and squirt bottle would be better.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 1:45pm
Arent a "random orbit" and "dual action" (DA) the same thing, in that they dont just spin (like a rotary)?
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 1:55pm
I dknow are they? I guess thats what I am trying to figure out.

Also I dont see that harbor freight has high grit pads so I guess I am not sure what I would buy for that little guy.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:06pm
You are not allowed to buy a power sander until you have done at least one boat by hand, it's a CorrectCraftfan right of passage.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:16pm
haha I did my boat by hand, Mostly thats why I want a sander so bad. I am working on regel of drivers seat base and even though its small thought it would be a good little project to break in a sander on.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:42pm
Justin can you post a link on that sander at HF? It's my understanging that the good da for fiberglass and finish sanding use a smaller orbit compaired to a regular da.Don't know how much you want to spend but here is the one I have been looking at. Here is the best one,I have seen it cheaper in other places.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 2:52pm
Found it looks worth a try.Im trying to find where I got the hook and loop paper,I think I have it down to 2000 grit

Found it not the brand I used tho.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 3:12pm
With the DA, don't forget a rather large air compressor too! And, do not be fooled by the HP claims of compressors at the home improvement centers. They are peak HP (locked rotor) and not true HP. You must go by the CFM and even then, watch out at what PSI the rating is at.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 4:40pm
Gary I am not sure that one at harbor freight is hook and loop. Maybe it is but it doesnt say, that would make it much simpler I have found some good deal on hook and loop pads on amazon.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:03pm
If that sander works great I will be buying one. That is the project towards the end of summer after I finish the full trailer restoration.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:04pm
Usually Justin you can just change the disc and get a hook and loop. I got a buffer from my father in law and went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought the widest hook and loop tape I could find,2" I think and glued it on to the backing plate so I could use some 3M pads.You have to be careful when you pull off the pad but it does work.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:14pm
ya thats true. I have seen a few, in fact I think harbor freight may sell that separate disk. I think I will go in there sometime frequently and see what I can see. I will report back if I pull the trigger.
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:16pm
there many cheap pad options on Amazon
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:25pm
Conversion pads to H&L are available. I know Woodworkers Supply has them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2012 at 5:30pm
Dynabrade....if you like American made, damn good DA,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jllogan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jllogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2012 at 1:24pm
Just picked up the one from HF, it is already setup for hook and loop. So that is nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic