Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help identifying correct craft

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jjcorrectcraftfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help identifying correct craft
    Posted: October-13-2011 at 10:31pm
I bought a correct craft and i need help identifying it. The guy i bought it from had no idea what year it was from but siad the guy he got it from had sotred it inside and owed him money. From what i've been able to find the model is A329 and its a v8 interceptor engine with serial number A7R110190. I was looking at restoring the boat and making it a skiing and maybe adding a tower for wakeboarding. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post pictures tomorrow.

JJ
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2011 at 11:00pm
Pictures always help
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2011 at 11:08pm
here are some pictures. Hopefully this helps
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 1:28am
Cool Find, I am no expert but it looks close to this 1958 atom from the diaries, Pete will come by probably in the morning and have a better idea. He will also reem you a new one for considering putting a tower on that classic. Looks like you have all the original hardware, nice find.

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 2:19am
i thought it was an atom skier but i never saw the ski pole in it. It also has 2 hole drilled on the port and starboard sides just behind the windshiled. There about 2". Would anyone know why they would be drilled out there? Thanks for the help so far.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 2:34am
Looks like the diaries boat has some chrome air vents located there, Fresh air intakes for the motor compartment?
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 2:36am
Correct Craft was ahead of thier time , maybe they are cup holders.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Correct Craft was ahead of thier time , maybe they are cup holders.

its not quite big enough to be cup holders.
bbishop1974 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbishop1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 11:25am
nice find.the barn it s in looks nice too.maybe he has some leftover hand hewn beams leftover for a wake tower
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 11:34am
JJ, great find, hope you're just kidding about putting a tower on an antique boat . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 11:39am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Cool Find, I am no expert but it looks close to this 1958 atom from the diaries, Pete will come by probably in the morning and have a better idea. He will also reem you a new one for considering putting a tower on that classic. Looks like you have all the original hardware, nice find.

Looks just like this one to me, an Atom Skier Deluxe. I believe they called it Deluxe as it had a different gauge panel and steering wheel than the standard. The one in the avove photo is actually a '59 or '60, I believe. The A in the engine number means 256 one carb, which is what the one in the above photo had.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 12:09pm
A genuine Barn Find, are you in Ohio?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 4:10pm
yep up in ohio west of toledo about 5 miles from the maumee river. The boat wasnt a barn find, i just put it in our barn till corn harvest is over so ill have room in the shop to work on it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 4:35pm
I just caught this thread!! Yes, everyone's correct that it is an Atom. Great find but it sure needs some work. It may be tough to bring the bright work back since the varnish has bee very neglected. What's up with the transom?? Fill me in as I can't tell if it's rot and peeling paint or what??

Does the engine run?

How far back from the windshield are the 2" holes?

A tower on the boat???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 4:55pm
Pete, I think I see them on the second picture of the second post.
1987 Ski Nautique

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 5:35pm
Come on you guy's if you didn't spend all your time tubin and thinking about tubes you'd know there are other water sports,those are rod holders
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I just caught this thread!! Yes, everyone's correct that it is an Atom. Great find but it sure needs some work. It may be tough to bring the bright work back since the varnish has bee very neglected. What's up with the transom?? Fill me in as I can't tell if it's rot and peeling paint or what??

Does the engine run?

A tower on the boat???

The holes are right behing the front row of seats. There is some rot on the stern of the boat but i think i can cut a new piece of wood to fit. I have no idea if the engine runs. The guy i got it from had it rebuilt but then had to get rid of the boat. It has no oil is gas so it shouldnt be set up. I think i will sand down all the varnish and then revarnish and caulk it. Also i dont see a ski pole right behind the engine. The ohio water craft registration expired in 1990 so this boat hasnt been in the water for a while
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Come on you guy's if you didn't spend all your time tubin and thinking about tubes you'd know there are other water sports,those are rod holders

Maybe it does not run, and they are holes for oar locks!
1987 Ski Nautique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 6:31pm
They are for vents. There should be 2 aluminum tubes that go from the holes in the deck to a holes in the floor board. You should have 4 chrome vents. Two for those holes and two for the holes in the side near the transom. It looks better than the one from the diaries, which we bought in '09.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by jjcorrectcraftfan jjcorrectcraftfan wrote:

I just caught this thread!! Yes, everyone's correct that it is an Atom. Great find but it sure needs some work. It may be tough to bring the bright work back since the varnish has been very neglected. What's up with the transom?? Fill me in as I can't tell if it's rot and peeling paint or what??

Does the engine run?

A tower on the boat???

The holes are right behing the front row of seats. There is some rot on the stern of the boat but i think i can cut a new piece of wood to fit. I have no idea if the engine runs. The guy i got it from had it rebuilt but then had to get rid of the boat. It has no oil is gas so it shouldnt be set up. I think i will sand down all the varnish and then revarnish and caulk it. Also i dont see a ski pole right behind the engine. The ohio water craft registration expired in 1990 so this boat hasnt been in the water for a while

Then, they are holes for venting the engine/bilge. Someone must have stolen the "clam shell" vents.

Do NOT just think you can replace the skin on the transom!! You WILL find additional work inside!!
Also, this is a ply skin hull and CC's idea of bonding the ply to the hull was to use a bedding compound like Dolfinite. This is simply a linseed oil and talc based product that dries out over time. So, the bottom line is the only thing holding the ply skin to the frames and ALL the seams are the screws. Looking at the pictures, this is evident. You have a project ahead of you!!!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

They are for vents. There should be 2 aluminum tubes that go from the holes in the deck to a holes in the floor board. You should have 4 chrome vents. Two for those holes and two for the holes in the side near the transom. It looks better than the one from the diaries, which we bought in '09.

Not necessarily Bruce - CC didn't always use the tubes. Some models simply had a panel covering the space between the frames creating the "channel" down to the bilge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 7:44pm
Pete, you are correct about the other models, but our Atom did have the tubes. It didn't have side panels though and this one looks like it does, although who know if they are original or not? That boat looks much better than ours which needed all new skins, however, I was surprised at how good the condition that the framing was in once we tore it apart.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 7:49pm
the transom below the water is fine. Its the transom above water that needs repaired.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Pete, you are correct about the other models, but our Atom did have the tubes. It didn't have side panels though and this one looks like it does, although who know if they are original or not? That boat looks much better than ours which needed all new skins, however, I was surprised at how good the condition that the framing was in once we tore it apart.

Bruce,
I have a feeling the side panels were on the deluxe hull.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 10:02pm

the transom below the water is fine. Its the transom above water that needs repaired.

You need to investigate deeper. You are only looking at the surface and not the inside frames. Trust me, you have problems! The popped filler over the tops of the screws is a great indicator.

You evidently do not have any woodworking boat building experiencing! We are here to help you since you will need it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 10:53pm

You need to investigate deeper. You are only looking at the surface and not the inside frames. Trust me, you have problems! The popped filler over the tops of the screws is a great indicator.

You evidently do not have any woodworking boat building experiencing! We are here to help you since you will need it!

I have never worked on boats, just tractors. I figured i try something different for my next restoration.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 11:00pm
JJ, If you could fill out your profile with at least a first name, we tend prefer them to screen names. This site and especially Pete are great sources for your project ahead. Make sure you ask first, Listen to the good advice, and make a good plan before you proceed. It will save you time, money and headaches.
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjcorrectcraftfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2011 at 11:54pm
so will i just want to completely redo the transom or should i get more picture tomorrow so you guys can get a better look at the boat.
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 11:53am
Greetings JJ, Glad to see another going through the trials and tribulations of rebuilding, refurbishing and or refinishing another old Correct Craft. My son and I started working on a 1950 Jr Utility just this summer. Will be back at it as soon as I can pacify the most important family member with the installation of a new kitchen. You will find my thread a few pages back if interested. A word of caution, bring your thick skin to this meeting place where you will find all the information to complete your project. The members are straight forward and most often right, even if they are the bearers of bad news. As soon as you adjust your thinking to the reality that you will be removing the hull plywood, repairing any keel, stem or frame rot and reinstalling the skin with the 5200 system, you will be able to go with the flow in an orderly fashion. Resist the temptation to do any less.

Best wishes,

Jack
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2011 at 12:20pm
JJ,

This thread might be a good reference for you. His photo links are still active so you can get a good look at what you've got ahead of you.

Unfortunately all these old Correct crafts suffer the same issues. Dried bedding compound is a given and the boat will need to be dismantled and reassembled to be water tight. What you find beyond that is the typical things, rotted or broken knee braces, broken or rotted frame members and the worst to deal with is a delaminated or rotted stem. All are repairable and several here including myself have first hand knowledge and will be glad to help.

All you can do at this point is start taking it apart, survey the condition of the framework and decide if you want to put the time and money into it.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic