Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fouling out

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74Martinique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fouling out
    Posted: August-04-2005 at 10:53pm
My Martinique been acting up again, and I am stumped as to why. It started two weekends ago after I dropped the boat in. When I accelerated up to about 10 mph (my guess, i have no speedometer), it would foul out really terribly, but at higher speeds it would run well. We tried replacing the ignition coil because it was not hooked up to the external resistor correctly, and that didnt help. Then it got a bit worse, it would do the same thing, but this time at two speeds.
Here is a little bit of background on my boat. I bought the boat in Febuary of this year. The engine was rebuilt not too long ago, and had only 10 hours on it since the rebuild when i bought it. Since then I have replaced the alternator(about 2 months ago) and rebuilt the carb(about 3-4 weeks ago). When I rebuilt the carb I found a lot of junk inside the float bowls, so I put an inline fuel filter in it, since it didnt have one to begin with.
Please help me with this; I am stumped.
Thank you, Matt.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2005 at 12:02pm
Still sounds like a carb problem, or more specifically a piece of trash stuck to the needle valve. When you rebuilt the carb, did you notice if any corrosion had started in the bowls or within the bore of the needle valve? If so, you will have the problem forever as the corrosion, once started, continues and the little corrosion pieces will get stuck on the needle valve and prevent it from closing. Fuel filters will not help.

Try this: When it is acting up, look down the throat of the carb. Do you see fuel dribbling out the venturi? If so, get a hammer, yes a hammer) and lightly tap on the fuel bowl or a bit harder tap on one of the bowl retaining screws. This may dislodge the trash and allow the needle to seat properly. If there is corrosion in the bowl, it will be a very short term fix.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2005 at 5:25am
If you had trash in the carb then you probably need to remove the tank and clean it. Radiator shops will do this work or you can buy tank liner and do it yourself.

There are a few things that you have to trust are in good working order when troubleshooting a carb and your tank is definitely one of them as well as the fuel pump. I removed the tank in my old boat and was surprised to find it probably only had a few more hours before it began to leak and dump gasoline into the boat. Be safe!

64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2005 at 2:01am
I have a feeling that it is an electrical problem. The carb is in good working order, there is no gas leaking into the barrels. Could the distributor cap and its components be damaged by not having the resistor in the circut?
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2005 at 8:59am
if you got a holley carb you would best to also replace the power valve. If your engine has backfired on acceleration you blew out the diapharm in the valve. Cleaning the carb & tank is a good idea also.
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 12:57am
If it didnt have a resistor, it would cause 2 problems. 1) The coil will get too hot and cause the windings to short together (not a prob in your case since you changed it and same problem). 2) It will eat a set of points in no time since the coil is drawing one heck of a lot of current without a resistor. Might want to put one in and try a new set of points. Use a dwell meter to set gap, I find feeler gauge setups are not as accurate. And no, the resistor not being in wont bother the distributor, unless the cap/rotor has tracked.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2005 at 4:03am
My vote is it's a carb problem. Probably a sticking needle valve, the power valve, or even a faulty choke. (In that order of likelyhood.)

In fact, I experienced the same thing with trash in my carb. You probably have more trash in the carb.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Martinique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2005 at 4:58pm
After further viewing, it does look like a carb problem. There isnt anything in the carb, since we put an inline fuel filter in. We think it may have to do with the secondary system because it seems to have the problem at the speed that its pushing the most water. The diaphragm in the vaccum secondary may be faulty, would this cause the problem? One more thing, should the secondary throttle shaft assembly be connected to the primary throttle shaft assembly? It looks like it has never been connected, but it has never caused a problem before this time. The boat seems to run very well at lower speeds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic