NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slick 50 Engine Treatment

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiLew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiLew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slick 50 Engine Treatment
    Posted: July-18-2005 at 4:07pm
Is anyone using Slick 50 Engine Oil Treatment in their engines?

I changed the oil in my engine this weekend and substituted one quart of oil with a quart of this additive. Since then I have looked on the web and seen alot of pros and cons about this product. I am wondering if I should now change my oil again and leave out the Slick 50. Can it hurt my engine? I would like some opinions on whether or not to use the Slick 50.

Here is what I know about Slick 50:
The basic ingredient in Slick 50, is Polytetrafluoroethylene. Don't try to pronounce it: call it PTFE. But don't call it Teflon, which is what it is, because that is a registered trademark. Dupont, who invented Teflon, claims that "Teflon is not useful as an ingredient in oil additives or oils used for internal combustion engines."

I put this additive in thinking that it would help reduce the wear from dry starts after not cranking my boat for a week or two. But now I am concerned it may cause other problems i.e., clogging the oil filter since it contains this PTFE as suspended solid.

Snake Oil or not?
HOLESHOT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOLESHOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 5:07pm
its all snake oil
IF IT HAS A SPARKPLUG I CAN FIX IT
mackwrench View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2005 at 6:41pm
Ever wonder why ANY engine mfg.'s don't put all that stuff in engines from the factory? I dont use or recommed it, just do good maintenance, pick a good quilty oil & filter and everything will be OK, but thats just my $.02
NO LONGER A MEMBER
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2005 at 12:01pm
I vote snake oil. Engine oil additives, IMHO, are not a good idea and not necessary. If you want to help protect the engine, use a good quality synthetic oil such as Castrol, Redline or Mobile 1. Uh oh, I may have started another oil argument. So, to hopefully stop any major oil discussion, regular oil if fine all by itself if it is changed regulary (50 hours or annually) before the detergents and additives are depleted.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 1:00am
Its funny, because the new 350 PCM 310 hp that I just put in the 76 mustang 17 recommends 15-40 oil and synthetic isnt recommended. Thats funny when synthetic oil is supposed to provide better lubrication and has to be used in some high performance vehicles or your warranty is void. Figure that? Does it sound like the manufacturer doesnt want your engine to last too long????????????????    
HOWEVER I BELIEVE YOU WONT GAIN ANYTHING BY GOING LONGER BETWEEN OIL CHANGES..
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 4:47am
David F Started this one.... Don't blame me.

Synthetic oil is supposedly a bad idea to use if you have already used regular oil or if your engine has some good hours on it. I guess it is supposed to kill your engine due to the mixture of thinner oil properties and gaps/play in your aged engine bearings. In other words when you are going 4500 rpms with synthetic oil then your aged bearings will wear extra fast due to the oil being thinner and causing the bearings to wobble.   It is the same reason that you never switch to a lighter oil if you have already run a heavier one.

Syn oil doesn't really provide better lubrication, but it just lasts longer.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2005 at 12:48pm
Darn, I new I would start an oil war again. PCM does not nor never has recommended synthetic oil, but that does not mean it is not a good idea, they just say it is not necessary, not that it will do harm (I guess I agree with that). Synthetics are NOT thinner. Weight for weight, they are the same as regular dino oil. I believe synthetics are more viscosity stable than dino oils.

What synthetics can cuase is an old engine to start leaking oil at marginal seals. This is caused by synthetics inability to keep the seals swelled up like dino oil.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2005 at 1:30am
David F I agree. They wouldnt have or recommend synthetics in high performance racing engines if there wasnt a benefit. Some high performance engine manufacturers will VOID warranty if conventional oil is used. If synthetics are not as good as claimed, why do they say this????
80nauts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80nauts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2005 at 3:56pm
Synthetics are obviously a good technology, but not after you have used classic oil. They are a really bad idea on engines that used classic oil and that have a lot of hours/time on them.

Jeff they say that because they never want you to switch between oils due to the problems that will happen. Thank you for pointing that out. Same thing for the PCM engine.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2005 at 12:15pm
Hey Skilew.....synthetic, PTFE or not, if your worried about the long time period between starts and all the oil draining from the upper engine then pull the distributor and prime with a drill. I work overseas and leave all my engines for months at a time and priming after being set up for 8 months is the best way to protect the cold start.

With the fake a lake and a timing light I'm done in 30 minutes....and I know she'll start at the launch!
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
83sn2001 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83sn2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2005 at 9:58pm
.02 cent more.Maybe not recommended because of te oil supplier to the engine manufacturer.My previous boat(95 mc 190)recommended 10w30 and was using mobil 1 when I bought her. Called Indmar and they told me to use 15w40 pennz. marine oil.No synthetic recommended for first 100 hrs because it would prevent proper break-in of the rings.Read between the lines and you see whoever is providing them with the oil is who they are recommending.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2005 at 1:10am
I pulled into a gas station out in the country. He had hundreds of cans of Slick 50 stacked everywhere: on the shelves, in the windows, in pyramids on the driveway. Everywhere!

I said to the guy "Man, you must sell a lot of Slick 50!" He answered "Nope. Not Much. But, that guy that sells me Slick 50? He sells a lot of Slick 50".
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
raygunclan View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raygunclan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2005 at 3:00am
we used synthetic in our volvo s80 and we had an engine sludging problem that ended up costing us over $2000. volvo tech said it was the synthetic oil that caused it...

just to keep you wondering.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic