Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

70 Barracuda Propeller

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
zosom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Barracuda Propeller
    Posted: September-30-2010 at 3:58pm
Hi, I am new to the forum. Was wondering if anyone had a manual for a 70 Barracuda. Also wondering what prop I should be using on the boat. I had the boat out a couple of weeks ago and the tach said I was at 4grand, and the speed said 35 mph. Dont think that is right. WOndering if this could be the particular prop that I have on the boat. email is zosom@yahoo.com Thanks for any advice
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 4:50pm
Jacob,
Since the site indicates this was your second post, I was curious to find out some more info and found your other post. (I can't remember them all!! )

Originally posted by zosom zosom wrote:

Hello, I am new to the site. Just bought a 1970 CC Barracuda. IT has a 351 Holman Moody engine .

Are you sure it's a 351 and not the 302? I had a 70 Cuda with the 302 and to my knowledge CC never put the 351's in the Cuda's. However, you never know for sure what really came out of that factory back then!!

In ether case, that thing should scream. Somethings not correct! Get a shop tach hooked up so you can get a decent WOT RPM. Take a look at the prop and tell us the diameter and pitch. Also, what's the condition of the engine? Has a compression test been done on it? When was the last time it had a tune up including checking the timing?

Off hand, your boat should have something around a 13x14 prop on it. You're low by about 500 RPM's and about 10 MPH. BTW, was the speed taken with GPS or the boats speedo?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:10pm
Pete, there's been a couple in the diaries with 351's in them including Holman Moodys and ours had a 352 Interceptor.

I didn't realize they had 13" props. Ours didn't come with a prop.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2010 at 5:26pm
Bruce,
It was 69 or 70 when they switched from the 12" to the 13" prop. Plenty of hull clearance too. I went through measuring it with Charlie's (Brady) Cuda when we put the 540 on it to try out. Good to know about the 351's. All I know is the 302 in mine wasn't shabby with the hole shot and WOT!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zosom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 12:37pm
Peter,
I have not had a compression test done, nor have I completed a tune up to include the timing. I know that we adjusted the timing a little (we were having problems with it backfiring and idling think we got some bad gas, because several boaters were having problems that week all pointing to the gas) Took a look at the prop here are the engravings

3 72 NI-BRAL Grand Rapids
Cupped Edge 12RH15

I have another prop in the garage but have not put it on the boat to test and it is

10 75 Federal NI-BRA
Super Cup 12RH14

Thanks for your help
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 1:12pm
Try the 12x14, your motor can't spin that 15 very well. Your rpm's will go up as well as your speed. Not sure it's the best prop for your boat but it should be better than what's on it now.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Try the 12x14, your motor can't spin that 15 very well. Your rpm's will go up as well as your speed. Not sure it's the best prop for your boat but it should be better than what's on it now.

Alan, that may or may not be true- have we determined which engine he has in his 'Cuda? If it is indeed a 351w, then that 12x15 should work fine if the engine is tuned properly. My Skier (302) originally came with a 12x15 Federal and it can turn it 4200 RPM. Now, my boat is a tad smaller/lighter than the Cuda and the 12x14 is more typical on the 4bbl 302 powered boats, so that would probably be a better choice... unless he really has a 351w.
zosom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 1:33pm
Gentlemen, Yes it is a 351 Holman Moody. So those are the two props that I have. Is there a recommended prop that I should aquire? Does anyone have a user manual for this boat, as well as links or contact info for places that sell parts and such that are original for this year and make of boat. Thank you all for the information.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Alan, that may or may not be true- have we determined which engine he has in his 'Cuda? If it is indeed a 351w, then that 12x15 should work fine if the engine is tuned properly. My Skier (302) originally came with a 12x15 Federal and it can turn it 4200 RPM. Now, my boat is a tad smaller/lighter than the Cuda and the 12x14 is more typical on the 4bbl 302 powered boats, so that would probably be a better choice... unless he really has a 351w.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2010 at 1:57pm
I noticed the caveats the first time.

Just pointing out that a 351w should turn that 12x15 without struggling and there may be other issues- either inaccurate gauges or a grossly underperforming engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic