NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Filter change in GT-40

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
AussieNorts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Filter change in GT-40
    Posted: September-13-2010 at 9:38am
Hi i am relatively new although been a member for some time. I would like to say, that i have gained an extensive amount of knowledge from this site. I am about to do a spring tune up as we are heading into simmer down in Australia. I have never changed a fuel filter myself and am just inquiring is it an easy change over. i.e unscrew, replace filter and seal and fasten? I was also going to change the impeller while i am at it, was wondering if anyone could let me know some steps or point me in the direction of a relevant post, and thank you.
Correct craft.....is there any other boat?
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 10:17am
Assuming you have a 96+ GT-40 with the FCC, the fuel filter change is straightforward. Drain and unscrew FCC bowl, remove filter and seal, replace both, lightly lubricate seal, screw the bowl back in.

Removing the FCC bowl can take what some would describe as an insane amount of rotational force. Buy yourself a good, solid strap wrench for the job. The filter can also "grow" a bit from gasoline/ethanol exposure and not want to come out of the bowl easily. I usually stick a pair of pliers into the center of the filter, open the pliers, and pull. It can be a bit of a fight.

Do a couple of searches on impeller replacement and you should find a lot of posts on the topic.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 2:53pm
This article is pretty good for impeller replacement:
Aquaskier Impeller Link
Ignore the very first sketch, because that looks to be an Indmar pump, all the rest of the pics are applicable.

I liked this kit here because it comes with the round rubber o gasket as well as paper gaskets for the two halves of the housing:
Impeller kit

It's a good idea to lube the new one with a little something until it can get new water up there, I used Babe's Boat butter, because the boat was already in the lake and I didn't want a trail of dish suds following me.

I also used an empty coke bottle to pour water into it from above before I reconnected the hoses. This is just to minimize the amount of time it runs without water/unlubed. Not a huge deal, but it's not good to run them try.

Overall, it was easier than I thought. The most important thing is to make sure the set screw is facing the same way when you put it back together as it was when you took it apart. The pump, itself, is designed to pump water either way it turns, but only one way is correct for your particular engine.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 7:43pm
Thankyou both for you inout, i found the link very informative. Is there a place you can find tutorials like the one above about impeller change over. I wanted to find multiple tutorials abour performing maintenance on a 351 PCM GT-40
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 8:23pm
Well, I find there's a lot of info if you google this site rather than using the built in search. I'm not sure how many step by step tutorials like that there are though.

I find sometimes the parts sites have some good info. For example if you look at SkiDim,under Spark Plugs, you'll find your plugs are a little different for a GT-40 than for a typical Ford 351.

BTW, I've found, after two oil changes, that the oil filters that go on these motors have a peculiar tendency to leave their gaskets behind, not sure why that is. I've done hundreds of oil changes on cars and rarely encounter this.

So, before you put a new oil filter on, make sure the gasket from the old one is removed. Otherwise, oil changes are really straightforward, especially if you have the little hose that you can fish through the drain hole. That is of course, if the boat is on the trailer.

Edit: The drain hose is easy to use if the boat is "ON" the trailer. Won't work if it's in the water
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

This article is pretty good for impeller replacement:
Aquaskier Impeller Link
Ignore the very first sketch, because that looks to be an Indmar pump, all the rest of the pics are applicable.

I liked this kit here because it comes with the round rubber o gasket as well as paper gaskets for the two halves of the housing:
Impeller kit

It's a good idea to lube the new one with a little something until it can get new water up there, I used Babe's Boat butter, because the boat was already in the lake and I didn't want a trail of dish suds following me.

I also used an empty coke bottle to pour water into it from above before I reconnected the hoses. This is just to minimize the amount of time it runs without water/unlubed. Not a huge deal, but it's not good to run them try.

Overall, it was easier than I thought. The most important thing is to make sure the set screw is facing the same way when you put it back together as it was when you took it apart. The pump, itself, is designed to pump water either way it turns, but only one way is correct for your particular engine.

Thanks Brian,
I just learned something new... Great link there.. Thanks
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2010 at 12:20pm
No problem
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieNorts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2010 at 2:18am
[QUOTE=M3Fan] Assuming you have a 96+ GT-40 with the FCC, the fuel filter change is straightforward. Drain and unscrew FCC bowl, remove filter and seal, replace both, lightly lubricate seal, screw the bowl back in.

Removing the FCC bowl can take what some would describe as an insane amount of rotational force. Buy yourself a good, solid strap wrench for the job.

I have tried to remove the FCC bowl now and snapped the strap wrench i am using. Turning it counterclockwise when looking from the bottom of FCC bowl, is that the correct rotation. Can anyone suggest a VERY strong strap wrench and i bought an ABB one and snapped it no problem. The FCC bowl is sooo tight. I have never had an oil filter this tight before.

Any suggestions guys would be great. I can not get this darn thing off.

Steve H.
east tx skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote east tx skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2010 at 6:09pm
Try a pair of oil filter wrenches, brace your foot against the riser and lean toward the driver's seat. Don't yank it, but apply steady, even force to both wrenches. If all else fails, I have heard of people removing it all, putting it in a vice, and wrenching the fcc off.
1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 3:20pm
At Home Depot you could get a Rigid brand strap wrench- I think they also carry a chain wrench.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 5:18pm
When I was talking about this with Roy from PCM at the NE reunion, he said quickest solution is to take it off and put it in a vice. I need to do mine next month so I am looking forward to hearing what works best.

Would a chain wrench damage the FCC?
96 SN
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 5:34pm
Get a very large pair of channel locks. The vise works also but the channel locks work even better.
http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-480-2-Inch-Capacity-20-Inch/dp/B00004SBCX/ref=sr_1_6?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1285353229&sr=1-6
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 5:38pm
Does it matter if he damages the cell? Would seem the chain wrench and channel lock would beat up the cell - does it matter?
96 SN
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 6:14pm
It's very thick metal.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 6:26pm
thanks Joel I didnt realize that. I figured it was an oil filter type material.
96 SN
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2010 at 7:02pm
Yes very thick metal. when these things first came out around 95-96 I once had two strap wrenches and a oil filter wrench. called the Z man at PCM he gave me the heads up on the big monduie pliers!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2011 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Get a very large pair of channel locks. The vise works also but the channel locks work even better.
http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-480-2-Inch-Capacity-20-Inch/dp/B00004SBCX/ref=sr_1_6?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1285353229&sr=1-6

Best advice ever. I've used a strap wrench for years and it finally gave up on me yesterday. Got the 4 1/2" GIANT Channellocks at Lowes (22.50). The FCC submitted to the pilers INSTANTLY. Zero fight. Instant off, instant on. Never again will I screw around with a strap wrench on these.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 4:27pm
Hey Joel, Did you need to take the FCC off, put it in a vice AND THEN use the pliers or where you able to leave everyting in place to get the canister?
96 SN
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2011 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by gcarbone gcarbone wrote:

Hey Joel, Did you need to take the FCC off, put it in a vice AND THEN use the pliers or where you able to leave everyting in place to get the canister?

Pliers right in place on the boat. No FCC can resist the pliers, it's instant-off.

The huge Channellocks are also GREAT for pushing back brake caliper pistons when you do disc brake jobs. Total bonus use for the tool.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

gcarbone View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcarbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 11:42am
perfect. Thanks!
96 SN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 1:04pm
The work great for stuck oil filters and the older Fram fuel filter housing too.

Curved or V-Jaw will give you a little extra grip.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 10:33pm
Another tool terminology difference between hemispheres.
Channel locks = Multi Grips

I think Stilsons would be even better for this job.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2011 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Channel locks = Multi Grips

I think Stilsons would be even better for this job.

Mark,
I think the jaws on the Stilsons are too large and would get in the way. It's pretty tight down there. I'd go with the water pump pliers. I think Billy would concur on the water pump's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 12:27am
Pete the FCC on a GT40 is fairly accessible. It sits about the same height as the top exhaust manifolds. Not like the fuel filter canister on the 89 which is below floor level. The jaws of the Stilsons may still get in the way but less likely to slip than the channel locks.

Water pump pliers? Oh no another difference in terminology.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2011 at 8:36pm
those pliers are called "pico de loro" (parrot beak) down here!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2011 at 3:42am
Big channel locks. I can't believe how hard it is to get the bowl off the filter! After doing everything I could by hand tonight (I have a vice) I've given up and will go with the huge channel locks tomorrow. Harbor Freight, here I come! :)

Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic