NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Tower (Struggle)

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 10:03pm
Form and Function's V drive

Seacamper - Take a look at this thread.... F&F is well versed in the 2001, and put together a beautiful, well thought out project.   He explains a lot of his desicions on how he decided on some of the parts he chose... He probably took a lot of flack for not being true to the original, but did come out with a very nice user friendly boat.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 10:26pm
EDIT.....Wrong discussion doh!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2010 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Form and Function's V drive

Seacamper - Take a look at this thread.... F&F is well versed in the 2001, and put together a beautiful, well thought out project.   He explains a lot of his desicions on how he decided on some of the parts he chose... He probably took a lot of flack for not being true to the original, but did come out with a very nice user friendly boat.

WOW! Thats quite a mod! A tip of the hat to F&F on that. I could have missed the "tone" of his reply so if I did, F&F, my apologies.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:34am
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

I also have a mount I made to film the wake boarder which wouldn't have worked without the tower.

Good luck!

Not true. Ski Pro Accessories has been making the pylon mount Trakker since 1990. BKH
Livin' the Dream

WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:15am
I see both sides. I had a tower on my 92BFN, and would not change that one bit. I would definitely not waste the money doing it to my 90SN. I also would not put one on a pre-82 CC.
The 89 is largely sought after because of the unique boarding wake it throws. If the boat is perfect or near so, I would not install one, but really, if that is your boarding boat, and you are not planning on getting a V-drive (or making one, in Ryan's case ) do what you want, it is your boat.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 10:57am
Guys - I have an '89 & didn't know the wake was unique.   I thought it was the same hull as the earlier 2001's. Was there a change in '89 from previous years to the hull shape?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 11:27am
No. I think there was thread creep. I think what people are saying is the 2001 series got a reputation among wakeboarders because of its deeper v. At slolom speeds, the boat had a great rep because of its ability to produce a minimal wake in most conditions but it was beat by other boats on glass. It was designed as a 3 event boat and CC chose a deeper V to field more lake conditions. The deeper V ended up giving a nice wake by mistake for the up and coming wake board craze. When wake boats started being made, many noted the 2001 series already threw a great wake and with sacks, was outstanding.
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Ski Pro Accessories has been making the pylon mount Trakker since 1990. BKH

Some of the reasoning in here is crap.

You can put your mirror on the windshield frame. The tower will still need to be folded down. On a closed bow boat, a tower just doesn't make sense to me. If skiing off the short pylon is too hard try tubing.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 12:51pm
This sure is a bare knuckle forum!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Some of the reasoning in here is crap.
You can put your mirror on the windshield frame. The tower will still need to be folded down. On a closed bow boat, a tower just doesn't make sense to me. If skiing off the short pylon is too hard try tubing.

We aren't talking about only skiing. We are talking about wakeboarding. Have you tried wakeboarding off a short ski pole?

It isn't crap reasoning. My mirror is a good foot off the top of my windshield. I had it on my windshield and I hated it because it really blocks your view when sitting high on the chair and looking over the windshield.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:19pm
Look through the windshield, that's why it's clear glass. If you know what you're doing you can perform all the same tricks from any pull height. I do put up the Skylon if I'm struggling with something new.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If you know what you're doing you can perform all the same tricks from any pull height.

I don't know Kev, I've been thinking about a tower or a extended pylon to help me out with my tubing. I need a "crutch"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:27pm
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not true! When you do tricks that require you to keep tension on the rope it will pull you out of the sky and back to the water much faster when the tow point is lower.

I have wakeboarded on a low tow point and it was terrible!

Your funny Pete :)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:31pm
Why not both?!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:33pm
If you want to be a stand out wakeboarder, why jeopardize your possible career/tournament status by skiing on a short pole?

If you want to compete with the big dogs, you have to give yourself a chance. They use nitrous, now you have to. That sorta thing.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:36pm

keep tension on the rope it will pull you

Sounds like plenty of tension, what's the problem?

out of the sky and back to the water much faster when the tow point is lower.

Defintely truth in that so you better be smooth if you want to make it!

So you're saying you can't do anything on wakeboard w/o a tower pull? If everyone is doing a 360 on a high pull and you can do it off the low, that tiny extra air from the high pull might net you a 540. Now YOU win! Challenge yourself and you'll progress much quicker.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:42pm
If you think you are in need of a tower to pull off a certain trick think again and read this page if you have not already seen it.

No crutch

Most people want to say a tower will help them throw their first invert or make them a better boarder. Yes, there are advantages to a tower. Reality is, they need to work on their technique and timing instead.

I love when all the kids on our lake with $70K Xstars come out on saturdays and try inverts when they cant do the basics. I wonder why they all get pissed and cus at my buddies when we roll by in our SN (no extended pylon) and throw inverts on a trick ski! A tower DOESN'T make you a great wakeboarder!
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:45pm
Thats so true. My 10 and 8 year olds suck! What pussies! Really, what was I thinking? In the few times that we make it out skiing, I need to keep pushing them to excell! Screw that wake board tower! They are going to drop and give me 20 every time they FAIL to excel verses just having a hoot of a time! If they still can't progress, I think its time for a blanket party! The truth? They can't handle the truth!
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:47pm
You're right Chris, It doesn't. But, it can make a great wakeboarder better.

I've never skied off a tower, always on a standard '90 pylon. I am skilled in rallies, Scarecrows, Backrolls, Tantrums, Handlepass 3's, etc etc...

But, I do agree with most of you on the fact that the closed bow boats don't look right with the towers. 206 or bigger for me... JMHO
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I love when all the kids on our lake with $70K Xstars come out on saturdays and try inverts when they cant do the basics.

Hey at least they are doing something, most of those boats around here are pulling double tubers...off the tower!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 1:53pm

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not true! When you do tricks that require you to keep tension on the rope it will pull you out of the sky and back to the water much faster when the tow point is lower.

I have wakeboarded on a low tow point and it was terrible!

Your funny Pete :)

Akabulla, on this you are just wrong. I've posted before a video of Scott Byerly doing tricks that most will never touch behind a barefoot malibu outboard on a low pole. Shapiro and Parks did the same behind ski boats with low pylons, for a long time. I've pulled local riders doing tricks off the low pole that few will ever pull off.

It's about the skill of the rider. It has little to do with the height of the tow point.

There are a limited number of tricks for which the rider needs to get great height to pull off the trick. Examples include the speedball and the 1080. There are probably less than 200 people in the world that can do these types of tricks.

A high tow point does present certain advantages, but to say that it is required is just not correct.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:07pm
Before I bought my 2001 I owned a Fish-n-Ski and wakeboarded behind it with a just a ski pole for bass boats. Trimmed up the motor and filled the live wells and I was throwing Tantrums, backrolls, front flips and I was in my early 30's doing it. YES, I had to work hard at learning tricks but I know it made me a better boarder. I'll agree that from a Skylon or tower it is easier but not necessary.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:10pm
I never said it was required. All I said is you will stay in the sky longer with a higher tow point which I still stand by.

I have seen the videos you posted with Scott and they are very impressive.

It is a wonder we even have Super Air Nautiques with Towers when we would be just as well off with a POS outboard and wakeboard just as good!
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:12pm
Forget the fish-n-ski. I got a 16ft flat bottom with a 30hp johnson that I do all my moves off of.

Put 2 anchors in the back and 6 gallons of gas..shooooo.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Forget the fish-n-ski. I got a 16ft flat bottom with a 30hp johnson that I do all my moves off of.

Put 2 anchors in the back and 6 gallons of gas..shooooo.

Now we're talking! Let me know if you ever put that puppy on Craigslist.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:24pm
Very interesting thread. From what I see, most of the 50K plus wakeboarding boats I see are just cruising around blasting music, with wakeboards still on the racks! Most of them cant ski, so they tube or wakeboard! Around here, wakeboarding is more image,than talent. I usually tell the kids to try something that takes effort....skiing. Or as my T-shirt says "If it was easy, they would call it wakeboarding"
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:26pm
haha funny part is, in HS I did rig up a little quick clip system to be able to pull skiers behind it......

put many hours on it when I didn't feel like taking care of a boat all day like we do the ski :) lol

It's more like a hunt/fish/ski boat. I learned to barefoot behind it when I was about 8.
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:34pm

I never said it was required. All I said is you will stay in the sky longer with a higher tow point which I still stand by.

I have seen the videos you posted with Scott and they are very impressive.

It is a wonder we even have Super Air Nautiques with Towers when we would be just as well off with a POS outboard and wakeboard just as good!

All we are saying is you should not justify needing a tower to pull off the tricks. Yes, a high tow point might get you another .002 seconds in the air if you are just learning, but it will not make drastic improvement in your riding unless you are elite.

If you have a nicely preserved 2001 it's not worth destroying with a tower in my opinion.
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:45pm
You guys are missing the point, a tower is really a coat rack for your boat. I now I would have many stiches and some really bad looking upholstery if we tried to cram 4 or 5 foils in the boat. With everything off the floor it also make getting to the cooler easier.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by TX Foilhead TX Foilhead wrote:

You guys are missing the point, a tower is really a coat rack for your boat. I now I would have many stiches and some really bad looking upholstery if we tried to cram 4 or 5 foils in the boat. With everything off the floor it also make getting to the cooler easier.

I can understand that, at the same time if they are just skiing ad boarding then the bow storage is a nice place for all the gear. We had plenty of space in our 88 for 2 boards and 2 slaloms along with a few skiers, vests, towels and more importantly...the cooler!

PS- Don, thought you might want to see this link, saw in another thread you were looking for original decals to have as replacements.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic