NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley 4160, or edelbrock carb?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
Author
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 8:23pm
My last time out, I had some small backfires. It did it a couple of times and then completly quit. Called my mechanic and said the backfire came from the "power valve", which probally has ruptured and is leaking fuel into the motor. Said it would be fine until the end of the summer. Holley are very tempermental, but if they have all the right pieaces working, they are a great carb. I have heard many good things on Edlebrook carbs though.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 8:26pm
dont leave it till the end of summer and usually they rupture from a back fire not the other way around
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 8:34pm
So it could get worse? Hot damb....
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It has a 312 with an automotive Edelbrock and we want to get a marine carb. .

Come on Bruce!! When are you going to go back original with the YH carbs??? You probably knew I was going to say something!! I know you have the intake manifold.

BTW, Steve (62wood) has plenty of spare YH's now!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 9:01pm
Pete, It is original! It's a marine downdraft, not an automotive intake. It uses the 2 goose necks just like the side drafts. I can't believe you've never picked that up when looking at the pics of the engine. I have an intake and 1 YH, but I don't ever see them going on that 312.

Our Mustang is running good, but is having some fuel issues. I may be talking to that carb guy, too.

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2010 at 10:36pm
Thanks for the kind words Larry.

I'm a big boy, I can more than hold my own.

While I may have a bit to learn about CC's especially the old ones (which I really don't care too much about other than if it looks nice) , I know more than some guys here are giving me credit for.

As far as the carb, I am going to try putting a new needle valve and seat on the exiting Holley carb.

If that does not do it, I will put a new carb on, and I am thinking Holley, mainly because that is what it has on it, and I want to make this as easy as possible.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 10:14am
the only thing i can add is more than once, I have pulled off the edels and put on Holley's...it seems the edels dump to much gas
swapping over is the pita, bending new lines, linkage etc
I guess its personal preference and holley is embedded in my brain and thats what ive come to know. plus they look better
"the things you own will start to own you"
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:15pm
Thanks Eric!

That info definitely helps me in my decision. Contrary to what some might think, I am good with turning wrenches, but why make more work when you don't need to?
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 1:57pm
yea great idea replace the carb remove the spacer foolish idiots worried about changing over this to that hell you can't even figure out the one you've got and think a new one is going to solve the problems, learn how to adjust a carb properly as you're not even in the right state to be close to the ball park to get it right.

leave the power valve alone until end of summer another idiot talking foolish BS.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 2:04pm
Thanks for the BS Chris.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

As far as the carb, I am going to try putting a new needle valve and seat on the exiting Holley carb.

If that does not do it, I will put a new carb on, and I am thinking Holley, mainly because that is what it has on it, and I want to make this as easy as possible.

you might as well save the money for the needle and seat and use towards the new carb and after your done waisting your money on the carb maybe you'll listen doubt it, but half ace is close enough for you most it's not but you seems fine with it.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 2:51pm

leave the power valve alone until end of summer another idiot talking foolish BS. [/QUOTE]

I hear ya Chris...

Plan on running the boat one more time and see if it still exists. If it does, off to Austin she goes.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

leave the power valve alone until end of summer another idiot talking foolish BS.

I hear ya Chris...

Plan on running the boat one more time and see if it still exists. If it does, off to Austin she goes.

just go down to any autoparts store and get the holley 6.5 power valve and a primary gasket and swap it out, pretty straight forward easy to do no need to pay someone to do it. If the carb all ready has blue gaskets they are reusable and all you need is the power valve.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 3:05pm
I will start a new thread on "Power Valve". I just need to know where it is located. I can figure it out from there. Thats why I ENDURE this site.
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 10:48pm
Chris i know i may seem like a foolish idiot but have you ever read through your posts? man you spell like an idiot
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2010 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

Chris i know i may seem like a foolish idiot but have you ever read through your posts? man you spell like an idiot

LMAO...
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 12:37am
Uhm, i'm aware i'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but if thats how you guys choose to follow up an apparently straightforward, constructive answer, then you get what you get... Consider not clogging threads so frequently with how fewwings are hurt and such.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 1:45am
My boat will stall when the air screws on either side of the primary are tightened down. From all that I have read, that means that the power valve is good. If it still ran after tightening both of those screws down, then that means the PV needs replacement.

Now, is the PV that is in there on mine the proper one? Good question? I will find out.

I'll work on my carb tuning skills, and Chris, you work on your people skills.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 4:33am

My boat will stall when the air screws on either side of the primary are tightened down. From all that I have read, that means that the power valve is good. If it still ran after tightening both of those screws down, then that means the PV needs replacement.

it means the iddle circuit ir working properly and your metering block is OK. Nothing to do with the PV. Wonder where you read that, I never read that here. unless yours ruptured and leaking it shouldnt be a problem.

Now, is the PV that is in there on mine the proper one? Good question? I will find out.

Even if your not running "the proper" PV your carb should perform right.
Choosing the correct PV depends on how and what you use your boat for.

I'll work on my carb tuning skills, and Chris, you work on your people skills.

Chris is really bad at people, and lately it's been getting worse, I dont think he has any hope.

Again, what's the problem with your current carb?
Do you want help? Please detail the problem, not your ideas about it.
We will try to help you out.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:07am
Luch, I sure do want help. There is extra gas is dripping from the squirters on the primary, even at idle.

That makes it stumble.

Thanks,
Tom
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:10am
Call Karen at MyCorrectCraft parts and order a new 4160 and gasket. In a half hours your problems will be solved.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 11:28am
First off.
-take the primary bowl off,
-turn it upside down, making the needle close on the seat,
-cover the balance tube passage with a finger
-Try to suck from the fuel inlet, then put your lip or tongue see if it sticks. This checks vacuum is generated and will tell you if the needle closes well.

If you also take the metering block off, you can try the same with the PV, sucking from the rounded face the PV should compress and stay compressed. If not it's ruptured.

Check float level, keeping in mind the float has a tiny lift after it seats because of fuel pressure. If you have any doubts, post a pic of it at "closed position".

Check those 3 things, and report back,

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 4:15pm

Luch, I sure do want help. There is extra gas is dripping from the squirters on the primary, even at idle.

Tom you're going to have to look up and use the right component names or this is going to get extra tedious.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 4:18pm
hhhhmmmm leaks gas, must be bad needle and seat, but hell I've all ready rebuilt it once, changed the fuel pump to, what gives, the float looks fine can't figure it out.....so simple yet so far out of reach to comprehend the problem and fix it.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Tom you're going to have to look up and use the right component names or this is going to get extra tedious.

Boosters I do believe is the proper term.

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

First off.
-take the primary bowl off,
-turn it upside down, making the needle close on the seat,
-cover the balance tube passage with a finger
-Try to suck from the fuel inlet, then put your lip or tongue see if it sticks. This checks vacuum is generated and will tell you if the needle closes well.
Yes, doing this resulted with my tongue stuck to the inlet tube. I guess that means the needle and seat are good

If you also take the metering block off, you can try the same with the PV, sucking from the rounded face the PV should compress and stay compressed. If not it's ruptured.
Doing this also appeared to prove that the PV is not ruptured. It has 6 and 5 on it, so that should mean it is a 6.5 PV then, right?

Check float level, keeping in mind the float has a tiny lift after it seats because of fuel pressure. If you have any doubts, post a pic of it at "closed position".

This appears to be nearly level. I don't think this is the culprit either.

Here is a pic of it....

Check those 3 things, and report back,

The psi from the new marine fuel pump is 8-8.5 psi.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 8:30pm

This appears to be nearly level. I don't think this is the culprit either.

Sorry Tom but to me it looks high. Didn't I mention once before that you need to go to the optometrist?? It's not sitting "nearly" level.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 8:59pm
Pete, if I lower the float like this( as it sits when the bowl is on the carb) it will be raising the float.
Remember this is up side down.

If this looks to be needing to be lowered when the bowl is turned right side up, I can do that.

As far as my eyesight, it's already been fixed a long time ago and is 20/20.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2010 at 9:07pm
lower the float and report back. Watch that spring float.

The PV is 6.5, it's fine.

You are getting raw fuel out the primaries venturis.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2010 at 12:53am
Yeah, that did fix the fuel coming from the primary venturis.

It does idle nicely now, and when I rev it up it runs well too, but under steady throttle above like 1000 rpm or higher, it does still dump non atomized gas through the primary venturis, making it not run totally smooth.

Shouldn't the gas be a little better atomized at all times?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 5>
  Share Topic