Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

78 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 78 Mustang
    Posted: June-02-2010 at 12:42am
Guys,

Looking at a 78 mustang for sale here on CCF, boat is being sold by William Black in NY and was purchased from Mark Donecker, he also posted and sold the boat on CCF.

Does anyone know any history on this one?

Thanks for any input,

Kent
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:02am
Whose was this 78 Mustang?
Did someone own it prior to Mr. Black?
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:14am
Mark Donecker and he also had the boat listed on CCF back in 2007, I found his post in the diaries section.

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 1:44am
I don't know anything about it but, rochester is only an hour or so away if you need me to check it out I could probably do it this weekend.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 10:17am
Joe,

Marty Mabe says your the man and I would certainly agree, what a gracious offer. I'm going to talk with Mr. Black today and if we can agree on a price I just may take you up on your offer.

Marty, this forum and it's members are terrific!

Kent
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2010 at 9:37pm
Joe,

If your offer still stands, I would like you to take a look at the 78 mustang in rochester this weekend, let me know if your still interested in doing so.

Many Thanks,
Kent
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 2:49am
Kent,
   The offer stands I am no authority but I will do what I can, I am looking at some plans on Saturday but Sunday appears wide open. See if that works for Mr. Black then give me a call at 315 567 1273 and we can talk about what you are looking for in a boat.   
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2010 at 9:49am
Joe,

I will call Bill this morning and see if Sunday works, will call you this afternoon.

Thanks,

Kent
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 2:14am
Kent,

You gonna be at Badin,Sunday or waitin' by the phone?

Marty
66 Skylark
93 SN
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 2:41am
Marty,

I'm gonna roll down early tomorrow morning and lay down some round up and maybe take the pontoon and sea doo for a workout. I'm on a plane Monday morning so I will head back early, probably around 12. Joe has my cell number, so I will just keep my phone on my hip.

Gonna be boating tomorrow? I'm planning on being down next weekend and most of the following week on vacation, so hopefully we can hook up for day on the water and throwing something on the grill.

Give me a call in the AM if you heading down to Badin.

Kent

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2010 at 1:05pm
Is there a "NEW" Boat in someone's Boat slip???

And yes I am available this weekend, if ya gonna be down at the Lake and cook some burgers! Let us know and it's PARTY ON!
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2010 at 8:18pm
Hey Guys----Update on this boat.

Joe went and checked it out for Kent
said just had a pinhole in the trans-cooler, but other than that gave it a clean bill of Health

So, it arrived at his house Thursday afternoon. I'm going to his Lake House on Badin and show him the ropes on his NEW BOAT

I guess it can't be too different that the 66 or 93, can it?

So welcome him to the family guys and I'll get him to post pics as soon as he can.
A big thank-you to Joe for helping him out and procuring this Vessell
66 Skylark
93 SN
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 12:42am
Hey guys,

Boat arrived in NC before I got home from my business trip this week, so I haven't had much daylight to really check her out totally. It's certainly what I expected and a little more, not bad at all for 32 years old.

I'm having the lift modified at the Lake House tomorrow and probably will drop it in the water either Saturday afternoon or Sunday. I'm excited to see how it runs and pulls, perhaps Marty's daughter will be the first guinea pig.

Joe, received your email on Race City Marine and the reunion next year.
Thanks again for checking it our last Sunday, BIGTIME!

I will post pics when I wash the 600 miles of road grime off of it.

kau......
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2010 at 1:27am
Can't wait!!!
66 Skylark
93 SN
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 12:33am
Great fun on the lake today,Sunday the 13th with the 78.

Tops out about 4000 rpms though Joe. It has the 12 x 14 prop on it,a little dinged up but no vibrations.Speedo says around 39-40mph .

Guys, what prop could he go to for a little quicker holeshot? He's mainly using the boat for 'cruising' but might be doing a little skiing with me on visits.

His depth finder would only come on when the boat was put in neutral though, odd isn't it?
Temp running around 160-180, tooling around, but would come down to 140-160, when he opened her up down the lake.

This pic of this 'small fin' , was it on all Mustangs or what is it? It looks like the depth finder wire was right above it.

Also, is this the 'paddle wheel' style speedo pick-up, is it broken, or what?

And also I told him, that these weren't factory colored manifolds, where they? Although they would go great with the Godfathers

And a last question, was the Teak dash an option?

But overall a great boat and cherry ride
Now with the CCFan coozie I gave him today he's a

Oh, forgot to mention the part! I submarined his boat by not paying attention.Badin was crazy with the SeaDo's today. We had the vent-windows open too, and we got wet! Never done that before.! And my 1ST EXPERINCE was with ReidP last year in the Blue Mustang where all he said was to hang-on! And I'm glad we got a little wet that time cause i made a little peepee in me diaper!
66 Skylark
93 SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 12:41am
Marty,

I think that fin is your speedo pickup.

Donald
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 12:56am
The small fin would be the speedo pickup as Donald mentioned. The thing on the back is the transducer for the depthfinder on the dash. The green is in fact the correct color for those manifolds. As for the dash i dont know if the factory dash were fake wood or teak but that one dont look far off except the handle would not have been teak.

Reid or Tim can comment on better props.. the 40 seems a bit slow but appropriate for the rpms he is running. I don't know how much to expect from that 78 302 but it wouldnt have been the hottest of the breed as the big combustion chambers on those late 70's heads rob a fair amount of compression. Probably a good candidate for a little less steep prop.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 1:01am
It held temp pretty good with a hose.. might want to give the impeller a looksee.. but also remember there is a leak in that trans cooler.. it streams out on a hose but it sucks in air when your going down the lake.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 9:00am
Fake wood (vinyl) on the dash was standard.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 1:58pm
Really nice looking motor! Clean....must have been well maintained! Good purchase!
"...gotta keep rockin' while I still can..."
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 7:54pm
Guys,

Glad to be a part of the club, Marty can tell ya, I was feeling like a kid on Christmas morning when she cranked right up and we rolled down the lake.

Marty showed me the ropes since it was my first inboard and yes I have a bit to learn, sounds like fun. I'm going to run her as is for the rest of the summer but I sure plan on taking her up a notch or two in the coming years. She's pretty good now but has even greater potential.

That said and most importantly, I'm going to

So between Joe checking her out and Marty's advice, I've gotten what I wanted, so thanks to those who answered my questions during the process and and special thanks to Marty and Joe.
Lake Rat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lake Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2010 at 7:57pm
Sorry didnt finish my post, what I meant to say, MOST IMPORTANTLY, I'm going to put some hours on her and use it like it was meant to be used.

No boathouse queen here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic