NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

S.O.S

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 16>
Author
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 1:02pm
you could do as 79 suggest and double check everything one more time, it wont hurt, IMHO it's a waste of time and energy.

I'd take the exhaust manifold out and have some pressurised water through it from the water inlet, see if any water comes out of the 4th runner.

Then pull the intake, look for any paths of water around the water and the intake ports.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Luchog Luchog wrote:

I'd take the exhaust manifold out and have some pressurised water through it from the water inlet, see if any water comes out of the 4th runner.

How would I go about pressurizing the exhaust manifold? Details that is. I understand the concept. Not sure how I would block passages off.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 1:42pm
you feed water through the manifold inlet with a hose, as it is feeded by the engine normally, watch if any water is dripping from the 4th runner, you could stand the manifold so that the 4th runner has some extra pressure. Giving it more water in than what it can take out will build pressure inside.

I'm not familiar with the H&M manifold, if it has any external hose sending water to the elbow/riser you could block it so pressure it's generated inside the manifold. how? with your thumb?

Ideally you would do this with hot water so the manifold gets warm as in operating temp.
You could also take the elbow/riser apart and test the manifold without it, I'd try to avoid doing so if possible, but again, I'm not familiar with the H&M manifolds.
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:01pm
Hey guys.. been a while since I posted. This thread reminded me of the nightmare I had when I was restoring my 66 baracuda ss. I will say first that I know nothing about the Holman Moody Engine. However, I had the exact same problem with my poly 318!! My crankcase was filling up with oil extremely quickly (This was a reman 318 long block) I removed the intake and heads thinking I had blown a head gasket. I installed new head gaskets and intake gaskets. This still did not correct the problem As a last resort, I removed the timing cover, remembering I had installed a new gasket there when reassembling the engine. As it turned out, the timing cover gasket had a spot about an inch long where the gasket had failed. Since the water flows through the timing cover, it was leaking through the area where the gasket had failed, and quickly filling up my crankcase. I don't know how the cooling system on the Holman Moody is configured, but if it is similar, this could be the case.
'cuda
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:02pm
Ok leave the intake alone for the moment, pull the exhaust manifold, disconnec the feed hose at the t-stat house, that way you have some length basicly all you have to do is fill it up with water and look for leaks, have the putlet of the riser facing towards the ski, have the end of the hose higher than the exit of the riser now start pouring water down the hose to fill the manifols, watch the riser area and stop adding water right before the water would start to flow over the lip on the exhaust, the outer ring/cavity is where the water will be as your looking into the riser, you'll see the cavity were the exhaust gas normally exits (inner most id) then you'll see a wall and another cavity outside of that and between the outter casting's wall this is the area the water will start to fill last so don't let it flow over the wall otherwise it's just going to run down into the runners and be harder to tell where the leak is.
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:06pm
If I may add.. The engine ran fine for some time before this occured. It happened suddenly (reason I thought it could have been head gasket etc.)
'cuda
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:14pm

Hope this works.. Actually, it was the part that bolts directly to the timing cover that directs the cooling water to either side of the engine... The water was getting though the gasket and going through the hole you see there in the middle (on the timing cover above), and into the crankcase..
'cuda
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:15pm
Again, the HM Engine is probably entirely different.. but hey its the thought that counts right??
'cuda
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:19pm
hey Heath, you should post your boat in the diaries!!!
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 2:57pm
http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11780&KW=finally+some+pics&title=span-classhighlightfinally-span-span-classhighlightsome-span-span-classhighlightpics-span

Working on getting my boat posted in the diaries.. been meaning to do that for a long time.. The link above should direct you to some pictures I posted some time ago. Also currently have a '96 sport nautique
'cuda
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 5:18pm
That's a great looking boat Heath, very classy. Wish mine was half that nice, hell now I just wish mine would run.
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 5:27pm
Thanks! I know the feeling.. Having something wrong and not knowing how to fix it is very disturbing to me... especially when your crankcase is filling up with oil. Best of luck. Wish I could help more..
'cuda
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 5:27pm
Vondy if you have an extra manifold and riser laying around or if one of the Buxon marine boys that have helped in the past could loan you one, swap out the HM for a know good one, fire it up and see if you still have water in the oil. It just might be easier than trying to find the crack in yours. But regardless try and change the oil just to get the water out of it if you have time until you can spend some time working on the exhaust manifolds.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

But regardless try and change the oil just to get the water out of it if you have time until you can spend some time working on the exhaust manifolds.

Are you saying I should run it for a short period of time with fresh oil and a filter just to coat everything with clean oil?
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 5:58pm
Vondy,

Pulled this picture off of a recent post here.. Looks like this old 351 had the same type setup for the timing cover that my poly does.. It may be worth looking into if your exhaust manifolds don't turn out to be the culprit.. If there is any part of that gasket that fails, water can find its way into your engine.. Its easy to check and does not take much time at all..

Heath
'cuda
heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 6:00pm
correction: "any part" meaning the part of the gasket that surrounds the water jacket.
'cuda
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 10:11pm
IMO the exhaust manifolds are not the culprit here, but an intake leak, cracked head or block are. We are possibly after 2 different issues.

You need more water in the crank to mess that much oil than what a leaky exhaust manifold can drip in at stops, unless that cylinder has no piston rings left.
The leaky exhaust could be the cause he had a start up problem before because of water inside the cylinder, but that water could, or could have not gotten through past the rings.

Pressure test the manifold, I like my way better to find if it's cracked, and then 79's better for finding the crack. I suggest you do both.

Vondy in your diaries you wrote you had your starter rebuilt, was it after the hard cranking issue started?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 10:16pm

IMO the exhaust manifolds are not the culprit here, but an intake leak, cracked head or block are. We are possibly after 2 different issues.

You need more water in the crank to mess that much oil than what a leaky exhaust manifold can drip in at stops, unless that cylinder has no piston rings left.
The leaky exhaust could be the cause he had a start up problem before because of water inside the cylinder, but that water could, or could have not gotten through past the rings.

Luciano,
I'm really leaning this way too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 11:45pm
Regardless of what the cause is, should I run the thing with some fresh oil in to coat it up? Or is it pointless?

The starter never cranked well until I had it rebuilt.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2010 at 11:55pm
If you are gonna get your hands on the engine soon it's pointless, now if you plan to leave it like that resting per months, yeah, go for it.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 12:02am
It won't sit for months in one piece. I plan on breaking whatever I need to down to find out what's wrong. But depending on whats wrong with it, it may not run for months. Depending on the cost.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 12:12am
if it makes your mind rest easier do it, have you taken the exhaust out yet?
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 12:39am
I've done nothing yet since this morning, that's how much free time I have.

And this morning I unhooked everything to run the motor such as fuel line, thermostat, wires, etc., to clear the way for parts to come off. I'm anxious to get things apart and figure out if I'm going to get her on the lake again this year or not.

So I'm relying on your expert opinions, will fresh oil matter, would it even matter with water leaking in?

Thanks guys
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 1:09am
go take that exhaust out, we can worry about the oil later

I feel I'm more anxious than you are, perhaps because it wont be me paying the bills this time!!!
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 11:38am

I feel I'm more anxious than you are, perhaps because it wont be me paying the bills this time!!!

What y'all got some bets going on who's right?

I took the manifold off this morning, much easier than I thought. I was expecting seized up bolts but they came right out. Did what 79 suggested by facing the riser exit up and pouring water from the front. I'm going check it after work and see is there is any water collected.

Obviously water poured out of the number 4 exhaust. Looking in the engine, there's also water pooled on top of the closed exhaust valve. I suspect that is what's to be suspected when pumping water through your cylinder.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 12:05pm
Well from my stand point, don't see if the intake gasket water ports failed how that would allow water on top of the valve, A cracked head yes, but the exhaust manifold and it's aluminum walls seem like better betting odds to me.

regarding the oil I was just refering to draining and putting new back in and not starting or turning it over. I wouldn't turn over the engine unless you drain the block first to prevent more water getting into the crank case.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 1:25pm
Everyone loves pictures.

Where the freeze plug popped out.

79... when I pulled the exhaust manifold off, water poured out of it. So I figured that the water on top of the valve was from me turning the engine over, without cranking, a few times to check the cylinder. Water get's pushed out the exhaust valve and flows back down to rest on top.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by vondy vondy wrote:

[QUOTE=Luchog]I
What y'all got some bets going on who's right?

you better hope non of us is right!!!

Unless you have SEVERE valve play on the guides, it's not very alike you have water going up the valve.

we are looking at two different problems here. 1 is water on the cylinder, 2 is water in the oil. It might, or might not come from the same source.

Post the results on the exhaust leakdown test, if it turns out good, try the other method as well just to be sure.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 1:58pm
you need to till the other end down, the riser's water outlet inside of the elbow has to be the highest point, right now your not really test anything because all of the water is in the elbow area and no water can get up around the runners to see if they are cracked.
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2010 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

you need to till the other end down, the riser's water outlet inside of the elbow has to be the highest point, right now your not really test anything because all of the water is in the elbow area and no water can get up around the runners to see if they are cracked.

I'll do that when I get home 79. Anyone ever blocked the exit passage and used compressed air in the inlet to test? Not sure how you would seal it, kind of an odd shape.

Here's my "optimistic theory", and I know it's just my theory and probably does not mean a thing but it keeps me less depressed over my dead boat.

Lets say either I really screwed up the install of the intake manifold or the overheating warped the aluminum or something... could that water be pushing out into the intake chamber putting water in the cylinder and moving down into the engine mixing with the oil?

Like this.

Again, just talking, not saying it's even possible. I got to think about something all day at work don't I? If the exhaust manifold checks out I'll pull the intake off next and find out I guess.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 16>
  Share Topic