NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do I need new exhaust manifolds?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2010 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Pete, you're an emotocon machine nowadays. I remember when you didn't believe in them.

Craig,
It wasn't really that I didn't believe in them, it was more like teaching this old guy new tricks!! I had never even posted in a forum before I joined here. It didn't really take me too long to figure out that they really are valuable tools. Getting your feelings across in words can be a real issue! Whomever came up with the idea should be praised!!

BTW, there still are a couple that I haven't used yet!

Now the big question is: do we really need to get Chris to use them or not??

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
I understand your point completely. You took my post out of content. It was meant as a joke and the reason I put the in it!!

Yes, changing out a modual is easy but you know me I'm just not a fan of them. You'll agree that a complete distributor conversion is the way to go. Until the day comes when I do a non original distributor conversion, I'll stick with the points. If I run into a problem all I need is my wifes fingernail file!!

provided that you have any contact material left to file off, stainless isn't very conductive or the condensor doesn't puck on you too and the timing wasn't too far off either before you changed the timing by filing the points.

points where replaced for a reason. FYI I knew where you were coming from.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 3:35pm
Having a spare condenser in the boat is a wise idea with points though;)

That is what got me when I used to run points before I converted to EI. Now that my EI failed, I have points again. what comes around goes around I guess. And once I get it running fine for a while, I will probably go back to EI, and carry my points and the wire just in case.
78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
GT40P heads Edelbrock Performer intake acme 4 blade
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/horkn/fish/nautique.jpg
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2010 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Chris,
I understand your point completely. You took my post out of content. It was meant as a joke and the reason I put the in it!!

Yes, changing out a modual is easy but you know me I'm just not a fan of them. You'll agree that a complete distributor conversion is the way to go. Until the day comes when I do a non original distributor conversion, I'll stick with the points. If I run into a problem all I need is my wifes fingernail file!!

provided that you have any contact material left to file off, stainless isn't very conductive or the condensor doesn't puck on you too and the timing wasn't too far off either before you changed the timing by filing the points.

points where replaced for a reason.

Chris,
Your rationalization never ceases to amaze me. You'll come up with the wildest ideas to make a lame attempt at proving your point and not even think it through throughly! Stainless a bad conductor? Sure better than cast iron - what's the engine block made of and what is the common ground - marine or automotive? I think you had better look up the two materials resistance!!

BYW, I had plenty of the contact surface left on my 28 year old point set and the scenario here is to just make it back to the dock!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 1:08pm
lets see if I have an electronic unit and it fails I just have to replace the module and enjoy the rest of the day, points fail then I limp back to the dock and buy a new set, reset the dwell , reset the timing, then I can enjoy the boat again.

Hhhhmmmmm couple minutes of hassle and enjoy the rest of the season or several steps to get back to the dock to buy new parts and re-tune the motor. Smarter than harder comes to mind for me. You maybe not enjoy the peace of mind knowing you can limp back to the dock and fix the problem enstead of using that same amount of time with an updated system and the benefitts it brings. I'll stick with updated technology.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:16pm
Chris,all is well If........
There is a parts store near......
They have the part you need in stock......
You have the tools to R&R bad part.....

gotta agree with Pete........

points and condenser only 61 years old,
is it time for a EI upgrade ????
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

See now this is why I am moving up from keeping a "backup engine" to keeping a "backup boat" with summer in central new york only about two months long you just can't afford to miss a single weekend.

Some would say I am taking it a bit far?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

True but some of these lakes are quite remote and some are right in town too...Just seems easier to me to repair an electronic set-up verse the points,.. Both do the same job so it's realy personal preferance, I like the plug and play aspect of an electtonic ignition system, filing points is a limp mode type repair which requires additional steps later...Me I prefer one step to the repair and then enjoying the rest of the day/night/season within a couple minutes of breaking down.

But all is good some like orginal some like the look of orginal but with new technology inside, is one better than the other? that's debatable for sure with no real winners.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 3:00pm
Joe I thought you where two deep on the back up boat plan?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 3:05pm
Chris,
My previous post regarding your rationalization didn't have to do with using a point set or a conversion module. We sure know how each of us stand on that. You may have misread it thinking distributor again. The post was questioning the resistance of stainless VS. cast iron. Have you looked it up yet?

But, one last point regarding my use of old fashioned point sets. In the 45 years of my boating, I have never had to limp, be towed, paddled, swum, anchored and walked due to a point problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 4:04pm
you don't even catch on when your being set-up, never seen a wire get connected to the contact on a point set and what is the contact attached too anyway? SS arm maybe?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 5:34pm

you don't even catch on when your being set-up, never seen a wire get connected to the contact on a point set and what is the contact attached too anyway? SS arm maybe?

OK Chris, let's go through this one more time for the "not in favor of old point set person" who just maybe needs to read things carefully. I'll try to do this very slow.....ly so you can understand the sequence here.

Here's how it started:

provided that you have any contact material left to file off, stainless isn't very conductive

I then asked you to rethink your stainless comment because it's totally not rational. That's due to the fact that the grounding side of a point set via the stainless arm now needs to travel through the less conductive cast iron of the engine block. Correct? Got it? Now, I'll ask you one more time what is more conductive, the stainless or the cast iron? Do I need to look up the exact resistance for you to understand? Don't forget to calculate in the distance of travel for the ground current path. A inch for the stainless arm and at least 24" for the cast iron!

Did I say wire? NO!!! FYI it's the other side of a point set that gets connected to the negative side of the coil via, yes, a wire!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 6:02pm
nothing has changed even if the contacts are gone they still go throught the stainless then through the block for the ground Right or did I miss something? aren't both contact pads mounted to SS arms one moves one is sationary right? and the last time I look at a set of points the coil side neg lead is on the arm that moves on the points, and the points are still grounded to the distributor that is still grounded to the block so the ground path and the material composition through the components to the ground remain the same and never change so the comment about the stainless effecting it is meaningless thus completely over your head and missed the point about being set-up. What effects the system if the contacts are gone is the surface area so what effect does that have on the system, won't it react the same as a pitted contact that has less contact area what effect does that have on the coil? in wire larger diameter less resistance, that doesn't hold true for points?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2010 at 10:17pm
Chris,
I obviously don't understand how I missed the point you were trying to make. You are such a master at the English language and are always so articulate I'm surprised I missed it.

One thing that is also obvious is you have been around a lot more point systems than I have. It must be all the boats you've worked on and converted over to EI. Burnt all the way through the contacts and into the arm!! WOW, that's must be really something to see. What do you think, bad condensers? I wonder if I'll ever have the opportunity see a point set with all the contacts burnt off. Next time you come across a really burnt up set, save a example for me to see. BTW, Were these boats still running?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2010 at 9:12pm
Ok, well I just re commissioned the boat for summer today, and I got her running.

I have a vacuum gauge on the intake manifold port ( in one of the runners) and at 3000 rpm, it shows a vacuum of 20 psi.I don't know if there is a better place to tap into to test for vacuum, but this was an easy one due to it's location.

I have an inline 10-15 psi fuel pressure gauge on the way with fittings to go right into the 3/8" fuel line after the pump.

I tested the spray from the accelerator pump and it starts spraying equally to both primary barrels instantly as soon as the throttle is touched. I don't think the accelerator pump is out of whack because of this.
The choke is all the way open as I have it adjusted until I get a new electric choke cap.

One thing that irks me is that there seems to be a sporadic "miss" and it sounds like it comes from the output of the motor, maybe in the tranny. It does not sound like it comes from the motor it self.

I wish my digital camera had sound on the video part. it's one of those water resistant ones that has no sound for it's video.

I need to re check base timing, and still check total advance with a better timing gun than I have.

78 martinique- refloored, reinforced, stringers re glassed, re engineered interior
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 7:55pm
Now that I think of it, the motor smooths out past idle, but at idle it is a little rough, and it does that little sporadic miss. I really doubt it is anything with the tranny, but the noise manifests itself there worst when it happens.

I have to find a funky battery for the dwell meter, a 4.5 volt thing, and the dwell meter measures up to 2500 rpm. I would think all advancement will be done by 2500 rpm, right?

I was able to get a stock choke cap from a holley off of a stock 80's 302, but it has 1 wire. I am assuming the 1 wire will be a positive,a and then the body of the carb is grounded.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 8:06pm
[QUOTE=horkn] .

I have to find a funky battery for the dwell meter, a 4.5 volt thing, and the dwell meter measures up to 2500 rpm. I would think all advancement will be done by 2500 rpm, right?

Dwell is the degrees the points are closed......Dwell Meter
Advance has to do with spark timing.......Timing Light
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2010 at 8:57pm
Yeah, that makes sense.

This dwell meter is an old tool that my dad had from his muscle car days. I don't even know how to use it, but I am sure I will get some help from here with that.. He told me that it has a tach on it, I guess I don't understand why it would have a tach on it outside of having a tach for tuning a car that does not have one in the dash.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 12:40pm
you cannot use the choke stat with one terminal it needs two, buy a new one and leave the junk tyard parts in the junk yard. You can get the choke stat at any parts store just ask for a holley choke stat they are all the same.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 4:34pm
fwiw, I had this old carb in a box from years ago, so it didn't cost me anything. Since I have the choke disabled, I can get it running properly without the choke piece, for now.

Now regarding the running of the motor and how it gets smoother as the revs go up, that would tell me it might be retarded, as the engine advances under higher rpm, it smooths out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by horkn horkn wrote:

fwiw, I had this old carb in a box from years ago, so it didn't cost me anything. Since I have the choke disabled, I can get it running properly without the choke piece, for now.

Now regarding the running of the motor and how it gets smoother as the revs go up, that would tell me it might be retarded, as the engine advances under higher rpm, it smooths out.

no it sounds like you don't want the carb fixed correctly or want to have the engine tuned properly is what it sounds like.

Running smoother at higher RPM's vs lower RPM's can all be in the carb and fuel system and not in the ignition system at all.

So spend the damn ten twenty bucks it cost for the choke stat install it correctly and adjust it correctly, hook up the dwell meter set the dwell at 18 degrees set the timing at 8 degrees BTDC, adjust the idle mixture screw after it's warmed up, set the Idle rpm in gear then see how it runs.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2010 at 2:07am
Please be aware that while I am trying to be cheap now, I do certainly want the boat to be running how it should.

My fuel pressure gauge comes in tomorrow, and I now have the dwell meter.

It's an old Allstate brand dwell/ tachometer.

It needs a 4.2 v everready E-133 round battery. An AA does fit, but I have no clue if it will work with that battery. Searching for that battery may be a tough thing.

I found these directions on the web for how to use a dwell meter.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5488320_use-automotive-dwell-meter.html

Does this sound right?

I am an EFI and EI guy, so I don't know a lot about points, and the boat has taught me quite a bit about holley carbs on a automotive style engine. Carbs on bikes and sleds are no issue for me.

edit..

I found this site on how to set your points with a dwell meter. The mallory single point numbers look right to me.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/setting-breaker-points-spg-90.html

This guy isn't fond of points, and at some point I will go back to an EI, but probably not until next year.

here is my allstate brand dwell meter.

I still don't understand why it needs a battery in it. Shouldn't it get it's power from the coil leads?

horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2010 at 11:38pm
So I got my fuel pressure gauge in. It reads about 4 psi to start out with, then after it has been running a little, it gets up to 4.5 psi, but never any higher.

My guess is the original pump is a little weak, but that should only manifest itself as an issue under higher RPM running, and not the 2200 rpm or so for wakeboarding, nor even 3500 rpm cruising.

I have the dwell meter hooked up to the positive and the negative terminals on the coil, and it looks like my 1.5 v AA battery won't give it any power. It calls for that funky 4.2v battery, but an AA does fit in.

Also, the motor really smooths out at around 2000 rpm, but under it has a slight rough run to it. I'm thinking if I can get a battery with around the voltage I need, the dwell meter will work and then I can go from there.

I am checking to make sure I have .18 gap on the points as is, but I need to wait until tomorrow to go to radio shack for a hopefully a battery that will work.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:45am
Timing is at 10 degrees, the gap on the point set was and is at .018 as suggested.

Does 4-4.5 psi seem to be the issue? I hopefully will be able to get the dwell meter running right so i can set the dwell where it needs to be.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 2:58pm
your timing isn't correct BTW. You have to set the Dwell angle at 18 degrees not a .018" gap. Get the proper battery for th tester waiste of time untill you do.

Fuel pump is junk replace the fuel pump then re-adjust the carb.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 3:41pm
I don't even know if I can get the "proper" battery for the dwell tester anymore. I can hope hat a similar battery with similar voltage will allow it to work properly.

So the fuel pump is weak, I will put the new fuel pump on it and see if that helps raise my psi. What on the carb might need to be adjusted? The float height?   Other than the choke being basically disconnected that is all i can think of on the carb. The accel pump looks to be working properly.

I will re read the directions to set the dwell. This old tech is slightly confusing to me. What should the gap be for the points before I hook up the dwell meter?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 5:16pm
Tom,
You'r not that far off with the gap. They are typically around .020". check the manual for the exact figure and then see what the dwell meter has to say (if you find a battery!).

Have you tried Radio Shack? They always have the weird odd ball batteries or can order them for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 5:22pm
If you have a battery's plus store they'll have them too.
horkn View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 5:40pm
My PCM manual says .018 gap for the points. So that should be good.

I went to radio shack, and they have no such battery. The E-133 battery listing they show is for a laptop battery and that is definitely not what I need. He suggested that I wire 3 AA batteries that are 1.5 volt each to make 4.5 v. Or I suppose I could use a 9v battery and use a resistor to reduce the voltage? I have no idea what resistor I would need to achieve this.

Does my idea of wiring 3 AA's or using a resistor and a 9v battery seem to be sound to you guys?

I see some multi meters have dwell as a feature on them, but not mine.

I did some more reading about dwell. I now understand that the gap on the points is merely the gap, and the dwell is the number of degrees the points close until they open again (rotation). I can see why you need a dwell meter to really set the points properly.

I also see that most places say that you need a dwell meter to set used points accurately. Since these points are new, shouldn't a feeler gauge get close? or is it such a precise thing that even if the points are new, a dwell meter is the only way to get the exact gap on the points?

The only batteries plus stores are in milwaukee, and not really on my way anywhere. I have a feeling if I called them up, they would have no more info than I got from the shack.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 6:11pm
Tom,
Getting a new dwell meter may be easier! However the 3 batteries in series isn't a bad idea.

Dwell was set by point gap for many years well into the 60's with some mechanics! I still do it that way but that's the old guy in me!! Besides, I'm the guy who gets 28 years out of a point set!! If the gap is too wide, then the point set will open early advancing timing and of couse the opposite is true. To what extent I don't know. I do know that I had to do a "roadside" tuneup years ago and used the old matchbook trick because I didn't have a feeler gauge. When it went to the shop and the dwell meter was hooked up, the mechanic said I did pretty good - only 1 degree off!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic