Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hull numbers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fordtech480 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordtech480 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hull numbers
    Posted: May-25-2005 at 2:24pm
where are the number on the hull located. i need to find them to regester the boat.O have a 1974 martinuque. there is a plate below the shifter that lists the weights an such but no vin number. also my trailer the numbers are worn off of the tag on the neck of the trailer. is there any other place correct craft would have put them on the trailer??? thanks for any help
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 3:15pm
there is none,the only #'s you need is the title # and the state # where it's titled.like KY-0442-ZN or KY-4867-U witch is the vinyl #'s on the hull where it's registered.
the hull i-d from correct craft is on the port side stringer under the engine,but has NOTHING to do with titles or registration's.
now for the trailer,in kentucky we don't put licence plates on trailers.hell,some of us don't put em on our trucks either !
all i have for my trailers is a certificate of origin with the serial #
different states different laws on trailers ..
kenny g
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 3:26pm
In Texas and many states, you definately need the Hull ID number for title and registration. My '77 Martinique has the number molded into the hull at the upper starboard side of the transom. Earlier boats may be different and have them on a tag screwed to the stringer as kenny g stated.
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 3:48pm
hey david,before 1976 [in ky]they did not issue a title for boats under 18'.same in indiana. just hull registration #s and a certificate of origin from the seller/dealership title #'s only.
the 68 mustang i bought in indiana last year[from the original owner]never had a title issued.but ky made one so they now can collect sales tax's   but,,the hull i-d #s on the stringer's from correct craft on all 3 of my boats [1970 and 2 1968's]those i-d #s are not on the titles. things did change here after 1976 when they figured out they were loosing tax $$$.
kenny g
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 4:30pm
When I did mine for the first time in Indiana I had the old regestration from the previous owner and that had all of the info you need on it. You will need the regstration numbers ( 3" tall letters and numbers on the bow) and the hull ID number which maybe on a tag or molded into the transom.

If you can get the old regestration for the boat and trailer from the previous owner, that is all you will need. If you cann't get them, you may have to have the DNR or police come out and fill out a form to take the BMV to get the title and regestration. just remember every state is different so if you tell us what state you want to regester it in someone should be able to help. Also the boat does not have to be regestered where your primary residence is or you live full time. Depending upon the state fees are different some more some less than others. There are several boats on the lake that I live on that are regestered in Michigan, My mom's boat is regestered in KY but she lives in IN. The only thing is you have to have a address for that state it's regestered in and a P.O. box is good enough. For example I live in northern IN but I rent a slip at a marina on Dale Hollow lake, I would regester my boat in TN or KY because it's cheaper than what IN charges.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 4:46pm
In Texas the hull number is definatly required. In fact, I had to go make a rubbing of mine and submit the rubbing with my application for title. Also, in Texas the agency that registers trailers is the same agnecy that registers cars and trucks: the Texas Department of Transportation. The Texas Department of Transportation could not care less about boats - they do not require registration of boats. However, The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, the same department that has Game Wardens, requires that boats be registered. They are a seperate state agency. To register a boat and trailer in Texas you have to go to two different agencies. Isn't that messed up? Don't you just love government?

Also, Texas law requires resident boat owners register their boats within 10 days.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordtech480 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 7:48pm
No plate of the rear of the boat. cannot see anything on the stringers. I pulled up the carpet and looked around under the engine etc. with no avail. the trailer is not a big deal i can put my plate from my snowmobile trailer on it to get it where i need to go for now. I do need to find a hull id number. I will call the original owner tomorrow. thanks for your help

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordtech480 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 8:19pm
What does the number plate look like? and appox location? maybe i'm missing it, how big would it be
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 9:34pm
fordtech480,you can look forever.there is NO HULL # ON YOUR BOAT.NO SERIAL # ON A 1974...
some people can confuse a hull registration # with a title serial # there is no VIN # on your boat.but you can keep looking if you want to. it does not exist on a 1974.
kenny g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2005 at 11:19pm
Here is a hull ID tag on a '68 Mustang.

kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 10:50am
jim,is that # on your title ?
i checked all 3 of my titles.
all 3 boats have an i-d tag on the stringers,but those i-d #'s are not on any titles.
again,in the 60's in ky & ind they did'nt issue titles under 18' not until 1976 is what i was told by the local DMV.
FORDTECH,do you have a title for your boat ?
kenny g
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 11:35am
No, it is not on my title. It had to go into a space on the Texas Boat Title Application Form. A lot of states do not require titles for boats. Texas only began recently.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 12:10pm
Jim:

That is odd. I am looking at both titles for my '77 and '93 and both titles have the Hull ID number on them.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 12:23pm
Really? I stand corrected. I was going on memory which is one of the shortest things about me. Thanks David.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 12:38pm
Haha...you and me both. That is why I had to hold them in my hand before posting
cshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2005 at 11:58pm
here is a photo of the hull ID and location on my '77 Martinique.

I bought the boat in PA. PA title had this hull number on it and when I registered in MI the new title has the same hull ID on it. MI titles inboard and IO boats, outboards only get a registration. Trailers too only get a registration.
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 1:28am
cshire, thats exactly the same spot as our 74 Mustang 17> I would assume a Martinique of the same year should be identical. As a matter of fact, A Martinique is almost identical to a Mustang 17. Its 18 ft. and the dash doesnt have the handlebar, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordtech480 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2005 at 3:07am
Thanks everyone. cshire awesome pic. i went a looked at where your # was and i marked off that section and started sanding. and there it was. someone filled or painted the number over. so anyway i found it. I pumped going to register it tomorrow and put it in the water for the first time for me. it' been about 8 years for the boat. The trailer i'm gonna reg as a homebuilt and that should take care of it. thank you everyone awesome site
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic