Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boat weight

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pike Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pike Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boat weight
    Posted: March-25-2010 at 9:39pm
Gentlemen,
I am preparing for a full season of boating and will need a shore station/hoist to cradle the boat. Does anyone know the approximate weight of an old wood 1962 17' tournament skier? I don't want to lift the boat out of the water, I just want to hold it in place; I'm wondering if I can get by with a 2K lift.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 10:41pm
Larry,
Since there isn't a spec on your boat in the reference section, I'll take a educated guess at this. My X55 is a ply boat has the 312 engine and it's dry weight is listed at 1700 with the dearbo trans. I've got the Velvet so it's slightly heavier plus at least a extra 100 pounds of more upholstery than the Tournament.
If I remember correctly, my cantilever lift is a 2500. I'd still go larger than the 2000.

DO NOT put the boat on the typical V bunks the lift manufacturers offer. You want full long wishbone type bunks just like a trailer. A wood boat needs more support. Do you have a trailer?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pike Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 11:43pm
Pete,
Are you saying just the engine and trans weighs 1700 or your boat and trans? Yes, I have a trailer with long bunks and thanks, I'll be sure to have them on whatever lift I get. I was hoping for one that is light and easy to get in and out of the lake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 12:00pm
Larry,
The 1700 is the total. I referenced the trans and engine just because we have almost the identical set up - hull length/engine/trans.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 12:35pm
doesn't the bunks need to go side to side and not front to back?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

doesn't the bunks need to go side to side and not front to back?

Chris,
Do you mean side to side as in the shipping/storage cradles that used to come with wood boats? Actually, I've seen twisted hulls from the cradles. Wet boats put away for the winter and come spring there's a twist in the hull. The fore to aft design just like a wishbone trailer gives the hull more support. Instead of the cradle which only supports 2 frames (if placed properly), the fore to aft design supports multiple frames which lowers the overall point loading. It also supports the frames that run under the engine where it's needed the most.

The worst I've seen is someone with the bright idea of putting a wood boat on a roller trailer! Point loading from the rollers produces indentations in the planking!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pike Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:35pm
I like your way of thinking Pete but now I'm wondering about it. I have a cousin who has an old 1955 52' ChrisCraft and when the marina puts it in storage it seems to me they block it up at various points; also, when they transport it around they usually sling it from side to side. Anyway, I've got a guy who wants to sell me a 2k aluminum hoist with a decent canopy for $1400. I plan to look at it this weekend and I think it should be strong enough to keep the boat off the bottom and crashing into anything.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Pike Nautique Pike Nautique wrote:

I like your way of thinking Pete but now I'm wondering about it. I have a cousin who has an old 1955 52' ChrisCraft and when the marina puts it in storage it seems to me they block it up at various points; also, when they transport it around they usually sling it from side to side.

A large hulled boat does have a different method of transportation and storage. No cradles or bunks and certainly not a fork lift with forks large/long enough to pick it up. It is the only option.

My suggestions are the best I can give you. They are based on over 40 years of dealing with and owning wood boats plus the vast knowledge base of the ACBS.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 3:59pm
Pete do the bunks sit closer to the keel then? I know the guy down the channel from me always had the marina lift his boat out of the water to place it on the trailer even though he would launch from the trailer every spring. '52 '25 chris craft cruiser maybe a shade larger

Explain wish bone too, excuse me if there are actually pictures posted already as I don't see most that are posted while here at work. I'm just not picturing how the bunks would be on the trailer and how they would differ from a tradition bunk trailer like CC and many others use.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Pete do the bunks sit closer to the keel then?

Explain wish bone too, excuse me if there are actually pictures posted already as I don't see most that are posted while here at work. I'm just not picturing how the bunks would be on the trailer and how they would differ from a tradition bunk trailer like CC and many others use.

Chris,
Unlike a glass hulled boat where the fore to aft stringers (primary and secondary) make up the "backbone" of the hull, wood hulls have frames starboard to port anywhere from about 14" to 24" centers depending on the manufacturer. These are really the main stucture of the hull. Then there are stringers but they are typically lighter than what you find in say a CC glass. These stringers (fore to aft just like a glass) connect all the frames together, provide the mounting for the engine but don't even contact the hull bottom/planking/ply skin. They sit on top of the frames. So, bunks really do not need to be closer to the keel/stringers because you really what to support the frames. The more the better and especially the ones close to the the engine.

When I mentioned the "wishbone" trailer, I was refering to the typical "CC style" with fore to aft bunks. My X55 is on a old rebuilt MC trailer with fore to aft bunks. I'm sure it would even be good riding on my #2 for the Tique.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic