Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1975 Skiier Stringer Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
Author
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 8:21pm
Guess what I just found? The beam between two of the engine mounts is totally rotten. Do you remember an old Andy Griffith show when Andy walked into Wally's filling station and found some smoldering oil rags in a barrel and Gomer was asleep? Gomer kept saying over and over again........."You know what you just gone and did? You saved my life is what you done".

Thanks to you and everyone else for convincing me to go all the way.

scott
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 11:01pm
I am in the middle of a stringer job and used a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a diamond wheel that I bought from harbor freight for $10. Like you said, score it through the glass right to the wood and with a little prying or whacks with a hammer the stringers come out easily. Try to get at least one of each out in a whole piece for a template.

Use Douglas Fir lumber and treat it all with CPES.

Pulling the engine is really easy. You have five wires to disconnect. Wiring harness, positive, negative, throttle, and shifter cables, and that sucker comes right out.

You will be here in no time
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 11:19pm
Wow, that looks real similar to mine. I bought a grinder as well and everything you said is right up my alley. I will take note of your post.

Can you tell me:

How much epoxy and hardner will I have to buy for an area approximately 12'X4' including the amount for the stringers and floor?

Where can I buy the wood you suggested?

What weight of fiberglass cloth are you going to use for the stringers and the floor?

What are you going to put in the areas between the stringers and the side of the boat where, in my case, foam used to be?

Help me out on posting pictures if you can. I am not a very good computer person

Thanks and I will be talking to you soon I am sure.

Scott
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2010 at 11:21pm
By the way, what does CPES stand for?
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 12:13am
Originally posted by srbranum srbranum wrote:

How much epoxy and hardner will I have to buy for an area approximately 12'X4' including the amount for the stringers and floor?

Where can I buy the wood you suggested?

What weight of fiberglass cloth are you going to use for the stringers and the floor?

What are you going to put in the areas between the stringers and the side of the boat where, in my case, foam used to be?

Scott

1) Epoxy = 10 gallons
2) Douglas Fir
3) I used 6 oz tapes, and 17oz biaxial
4) Pool noodles!

You best get cracking if you want to be done by mid May!
Truthfully, that is pretty optimistic, but if get help and stay at it, it is possible.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

pwningjr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwningjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 12:25am
CPES is Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (Did I get it right?)
Jay
"Proud to be a geek"
Big Heavy (stephan): One can't always be perfect when water dancing on your shred stick.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 12:30am
wakeslayer,

I can see where my old floor layed across the main and secondary stringers and supported by the foam but how is the new floor supported by pool noodles? When it comes time to put the floor in, would I just lay out the biaxial(soaked) and pour on the epoxy? Seeems like it would just be uneven and even collapse.

thanks,

scott
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 1:03am
There are 2 schools of thinking. If you re-foam the boat, you make the floor out of thick fiberglass laying on top of the foam. If you opt out of refoaming which most will suggest, but not all, you will use a plywood floor with a thinner layer of glass over it. bonding to the hull. I am going for plywood and no foam, except for in the bow, where there was more than enough foam to float the boat long enough to save it.   

The pool noodles Mike suggested are for extra flotation without foaming, and not to support the floors. You have to create some ribs to support the plywood at the edges.

This is a big debate amongst rebuilders. To foam or not to foam? That is the question...
"working on these old boats may not be cost effective but as it shows its what it brings into your life that matters" -Roger

1973 Skier
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 1:21am
When it comes to sizing your picture- the easiest thing to do is to set your digital camera to take the lowest resolution pictures it can. These will be perfect for the internet. It makes the file size small and the image the right size for a computer screen. Pictures taken on a 5 megapixel camera at full resolution are way too big for a computer screen but make nice crisp prints. So reduce the resolution on your camera to low and you should be good to go for posting pics. Way faster and easier than cropping and resizing images.

CCF gives you 10 mb of storage space. To get there click on "forums", then click on "member control panel". Then "file manager" Then "New Upload". Click "browse" find the image on your computer and upload it. Click on the image to open the file from the ccf website. Copy the web address out of the browser. Now open your thread and go to the latest post. Click on the reply icon that looks like an arrow pointing up at a 45. This will give you a few more icons. Click on the icon that looks like a tree and paste the web address that you copied earlier and wa la. Picture.

1973 Skier
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:26am
I tend to favor the idea of foam and just put everything back the way it came from the factory. My question would be, why do I read members saying "No foam, No foam?". We are trying to keep these boats orginal, right?

My other thought with the plywood is doable. I built and hunt in a handmade layout boat I built from stratch using thin luan overlayed with epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth and it turned out great. Doing it this way and using the pool noodles would seem to be less sturdy than foam and a heavy fiberglass cloth but like you say, some like it one way and some like it the other way.

What does everyone else say, foam or plywood?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:45am
Every one else will say foam or plywood, split about 50/50.

Not trying to be glib, but this is an endless debate!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 10:47am
Scott,
I'm one of the no foam and plywood guys. I've seen too much damage done to stringers/wood when the foam gets wet. Now, you will be doing a stringer job way beyond what the factory did plus with epoxy resin so foaming really shouldn't come to play. Still, I'd go no foam with plenty of drainage built into the new stringer system. If you want to through some pool noodles in there that's fine but you can also add foam in places other than the bilge. You should find foam from the factory under the decks and gunwales. This can be added to.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 11:16am
Is it Pete?

Well, I read something else in your last post to me. Drainage built in to the stringer system? Am I supposed to put some holes somewhere or what are you talking about? Sounds like a great idea as long as the drainge holes are coated with epoxy to there is no chance of water touching the wood.

Going to my brothers today to get his engine lift. Bought the angle cutter and diamond blade last night. Should have the engine out and the primaries out this week. I will probably go ahead and order the epoxy today which will hurt . I forgot who told me about 9 gallons worth, just don't want to order too much. I have great luck using www.raka.com. and dealing with larry the owner. He knows everything about boatbuilding supplies. Don't know where to buy the Douglas Fir but may have a contact that deals in speciality woods near me.

Thanks for helping me out. Do ya'll ever swap telephone numbers or do we just use the site for everything?

Working on the picture problem thanks to Keeganino. Later
Keeganino View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keeganino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 12:07pm
To read more about drainage between stringers and some great general rebuild info check out Tim's thread. Another BFN Rebuild Tim takes things to the next level!

People do communicate outside of the site. I am not the best person to talk to though since I am so new to all this and probably have as many questions as you do. All of my knowledge so far has come from this site. Read as much as you can.

1973 Skier
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 12:30pm
Scott,
The drainage holes are actually half round cut outs in the bottom of the stringers. Yes, they do get glassed. The easy way is to glass the half rounds before you set the stringers in the boat.

Do some searching and reading on the stringer threads. I feel you'll find it interesting plus lots of information/details.

Yes, it's Pete!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 12:40pm
Talked with Woody at Mastercraft of Orlando(The former Southeast Correct Craft on Orange Avenue)this morning.

He knows everything there is to know about my boat and has worked there for 35 years and remembers when my boat was built. He made a couple of suggestions or things to do:

1. Make sure my boat is supported underneath before I take out the primary stringers. If not, the hull could bend and warp after putting in the new stringers. He said if my boat is on the original correct craft trailer(which it is), it should be fine.

2. Douglas Fir is the only option for the primary stringers. Called a local place and they can orger it for about $6-$7/linear foot(That hurts$$$$$).

3. He said the secondary stringers did not have to be Douglas Fir as they just support the floor.

4. He would go with replacing the void area with foam for the support factor BUT he said it was really, really, really expensive which scares me to death based on what I took out of there. Who can tell me where to buy this stuff and how much does it cost?

5. He said most people just cut the top of the stringer off or the fiberglass at the least and just pull the beams out. Then you can cut out the remaing fiberglass and grind the rest off.

6. He and Larry from RAKA.com seem to think 3-4 gallons would do the whole project. With my limited knowledge and ya'lls input, I think that is on the low side.

7. He suggested 3/4" plywood for the seating area and behind the engine.

Anybody want to comment on these items?

Off to get the engine hoist. I heard it will be a bear to get out of my truck at the house.

Going to adjust my camera to send you guys some pictures. I work at night(18yrs driving for FEDEX) and my wife if a CPA and two kids under 10 so I have to adjust everything to fit a hectic schedule. Us poor truck drivers have a hard time paying for these things nowadays......
Okie Boarder View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okie Boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 1:20pm
Scott,

Read through my thread. You can see some of the techniques I used that may be helpful. Eventhough we have different sized and brand boats, a lot will transfer over. Look at the other threads, too. Take a couple evenings and do nothing but read through. There's a couple of really good threads that will be more specific to your boat layout.

Here's a few things based on your comments an questions...

I used a sawzall for my cutting.

Supporting the boat is a good thing. My trailer supports most of it, but I blocked it up in a few spots, mostly along the edges.

My grinding I've done with a 4" grinder, mostly with 24 grit sanding discs (although I did try the flapper discs too).

Look around on the Doug Fir. I'm surprised you don't have a lumber yard that stocks it. I got mine for less than $2 a foot. Even at the price ou were quoted, it doesn't sound to awful bad.

You can see how I added drainage to mine in the main stringers and the cross supports.

M floor is being done with plywood laid over the stringers. Late 80's Supras were originally built that way as opposed to the design of the early CC's with the fiberglass just laid on the foam. If I was you, I'd plan to build it that way. That would be conducive to foam or not and you can make the decision later. Personally, I'm going to foam, but I'm laying in a plastic sheeting when I pour the foam so it won't adhere to my framework and will be a "floating" block inside the compartment.

On the glass, I'm using 1708 biaxial. I did a layup schedule that just lays and entire cap layer over the stringer to the floor. I did two layers on each stringer, each successive layer with more overlap onto the hull than the other. I used 6" biaxial tape for the cross supports, then I'm laying a layer over the top down to the hull to cap them. The floor will have the 6" biaxial tape to adhere the edges all along the hull and the bilge area. Then the floor will get one layer of mat and one layer of 6oz cloth to finish it off.

I've gotten 20 yds of biaxial so far and I can see where I need a bit more. I'm probably going to end up at 25 yds. Based on my estimations I'll end up at 75 yds of biaxial tape. I have figured out the mat and cloth yet. I've gone through 6 gallons of epoxy so far and feel like I'll probably end up using 15 gallons altogether. Filler comes into play too for mixing up the thickened epoxy which you'll use to bed the stringers. I used cabosil and glass bubbles for bedding and filleting. I have been getting all my supplies from U.S. Composites.
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 5:35pm
UPDATE: Pulled the engine out by myself this morning in 2.5 hours and is sitting on blocks in the garage. Now I can remove the primaries and start spending money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 5:47pm
I cannot figure out how you are going to get away with 3-4 gallons of eopxy. There are little epoxy gremlins that come in the middle of the night and have little gloo keggers. I went through 5 gallons before I had the first primary biaxed in. If I am lucky, I will get done with 10 gallons, but it will be close.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 6:00pm
Mike,
I feel it's all that biax your using to build that Norwegian ice breaker that's drinking up all the resin!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I cannot figure out how you are going to get away with 3-4 gallons of epoxy.

Whoever thinks this project will only consume 3-4 gallons has a serious misunderstanding of the scope of the job that is involved. Thats assuming you do a proper layup, as documented by many on here. 8-10 gallons on a boat that size should be about right.

Of course, if you cut the number of courses for the stringers in half, dont coat everything in resin beforehand, and dont glass the floor in, you can probably do it with 3-4.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 6:07pm
^^agreed^^.

Pete, there will be no winter layup with that thing, I am going to put a circulating heat pump on the cooling system, and magnetic block heaters on the exhaust manifolds. As long as I plug her in overnight, I can go bash a lane in the lake in January.

Ice Shmice !!
Mike N

1968 Mustang

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 6:27pm
WOW..this stringer thread is really flying!!! 2 pages in only 2 days and not a sigle picture yet!!!(of the boat in question)
Nice sequence Keegan´s ´73, cslaten? 74 and now this 75...
nice for sharing good advice!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 7:14pm
Those against foam say no foam because it tends to be the source of absorbing water, adding excessive weight to the boat when wet, and causing rot.

My thoughts are:
1) Every stringer job I've seen has been far better than factory. Fully encapsulating the wood, using epoxy resin, etc. No one I've seen do a stringer job has used staples to hold anything together (as did the factory), and most try to minimize or elimate screws. Those that do have screw holes shoot some CPES to stop or at least mimize rot in those areas.

2) My 1982 SN was abused. Left out in the rain. Left with standing water in it, etc. etc. Even with questionable orginal contstruction, FOAM, and this abuse, the original stringers lasted for 24 years.

3) Assuming I do just a little bit better job than the factory, assuming I actually take care of the boat, and assuming I actually keep the boat for that long, I have to think my stringer repair job will last more than 30 years.

4) In thirty years, I'll be 76

5) I'm foaming as original.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

I cannot figure out how you are going to get away with 3-4 gallons of epoxy.

Whoever thinks this project will only consume 3-4 gallons has a serious misunderstanding of the scope of the job that is involved. Thats assuming you do a proper layup, as documented by many on here. 8-10 gallons on a boat that size should be about right.

Of course, if you cut the number of courses for the stringers in half, dont coat everything in resin beforehand, and dont glass the floor in, you can probably do it with 3-4.

My general question about glassing the primary & secondary stringers is what is enough? 10 mils, 20 mils, 200 mils? By my math one gallon total mixed should give me over 20 mil thickness on the primary/secondaries.

FrankT      
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 7:42pm
I feel like i totally neglected my boat..mine only took 17 to rot away ..ha I think the factor that it actually sank helped the rot to accelerate its process....Next time it sinks (i hope not) i will put the cost of the rebuilt to the insurance claim....
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 7:54pm
The tops of my primaries have one layer of 6 oz tape, and one layer of 17oz biax in the front and rear, that measures 3/32" from well behind the trans mounts to well fore of the motor mounts, I added a second layer of 17oz biax, that measures a tall 1/8" thick. This is from memory, but I believe this is correct.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

FrankT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 9:15pm
Are you thicker at the midpoint, under the engine? I think 1/8" is 125 mils, correct?

FrankT
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 9:17pm
deleted?
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2010 at 9:18pm
Still too big. I will try some more. How can I delete these?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
  Share Topic