Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

’83 "2001" New Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
billgatesceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’83 "2001" New Problems
    Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:08am
We went out to board today. Everything was kosher right at the start. But, midway through my set, my bud said that it was pulling real sluggish. When he hit it..it took a good 30sec before it would get up to speed. When I changed to be the driver I experienced the same thing. It felt like it was running on only 6-7 cylinders. Strange thing, is that in neutral, it would rev up good. Except, at the lower end, it seem to stumble, and at idle, it was running real ruff, unless you gave it alot of gas.

Also, there was a bad whining coming from the engine. I traced it to the impeller making alot of noise. At least it was still cooling, but real noisy.

List of things to do:

1) Change out impeller, maybe belts too.

2) Change out sparkplugs too, maybe wires, but will start with plugs first.

3) Order holley rebuild kit for the carburator and tear the thing apart a rebuild it. Never torn a vehical/marine carb apart, so it should be a good lesson.

Any other ideas or insights. The new starter is still chugging along great.

Cheers,
Brandon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:12am
Oh yeah, b/c of the condition of the engine was running, I was going back to the dock to drop off the truck/trailer driver, and was gonna do the ol' head in, put it in reverse and swing the back end to parallel park the boat...and the thing died. Ran right into the dock and knocked the front light off. Took a little out of the gelcoat too, but not too bad.

And on my way out to load on the trailer, I had to give it a little too much gas to keep the engine running, and I clipped the left rear rubrail pretty good on the scaffolding of the dock. They really need to put some covering over that stuff. Oh well....another project to fix those things... but I enjoy it. Just need to get the motor running top notch before I work on the asthetics.
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:38am
get rid of the points as fast as you can!!!! try www.vintageperformance.com thats how my boat used to run when i got it. i got the high performance coil and the electronic ignition for around 100.00.
gwatson View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 3:07am
mallory lym554cv dist. and an epoxy coil. Rebuild the carb, full tune up and the impeller too. Good luck.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 5:47am
The distributor is probably a weighted system. Meaning if you open it, you will see weights on springs. The springs have gone bad and the boat can't keep the timing correct.     I had the same problem when I had my 84.. get rid of all that crap!
79nautique View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 12:58pm
You can't get rid of the springs and weights and have it run correctly, its call mechanical advance and if you remove them it run even worse. The dist is ylu-554-cv for a reverse rotation engine. And a spring doesn't go bad. Dude you are so out in left field.
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 2:37pm
Sorry for the so called "bad advice"   I had a spring break in the mechanical advance go out which then after a certain RPM, the timing was off and the engine would miss. At lower RPM's you could not tell. so try again.. yes, springs go bad.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 5:04pm
So the consensus it bad timing at the low end. should I be able to tell with a timing gun?
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 9:46pm
I would have to say timing. But I'm no expert right 79nautique? I am only speaking from expierence that I had on mine. If pop open the distributor, under all the guts are the weights. There are two weights. They bothy have springs on them. If one spring is worn, or my case, it was broken... I want to say that the mechanical advance was off a datsaun or something like that... (local auto store found the p/n # in an old book)

But again.. if there is anyway to get out of mechanical advance.. I would...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2005 at 11:00pm
Well, the lower RPMs seem to be the problem. When it gets up to the upper portion of the power band it seems to be fine.

When in neutral you can actually get it to rev, however, under load(ie in gear) it takes a good while for it to get up.

Can anyone list the high points to hit for a full tuneup?

My list:
1) plugs
2) wires (had a couple of sets go bad on me in my mustang and it ran just like the boat..that one is easy to figure out though, just go one by one taking of the wire and see which one makes no difference)
3) Full carbureator rebuild kit
4) possibly upgrade to electronic ignition
5) ?

Thanks for the help. In due time this beast will be running like it should and I can focus on getting the gelcoat back in shape.

Cheers
3)
882001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 882001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 3:01am
reverse 4 and 1 and you will have your list
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 11:11am
IMHO fix the current problem first before any upgrades so you don't waste a lot of time and money.

If the engine runs well at high rpm's at least you have some place to start from. I would assume this indicates the advance is working.

The cheapest and most common problems are coil, points and ballast resistor.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 5:34pm
I have been doing a little troubleshooting and have come across something strange.

If I test the voltage going into the ballast resistor, it is only 10.4VDC. Is this normal. Also it seems to be hooked up to the same point as the electronic choke, it sees the same voltage and has continuity. The voltage from the battery is 12+VDC. I will check the wiring diagrams to see where it is getting stepped down if it is supposed to, but I thought that the ballast resistor was doing all the reduction needed. Consequently, the voltage going into the coil is only about 5-6VDC, not the 8-9 that it's supposed to be.

Another strange thing is that every 30-45seconds I hear a sound coming from the dash, kinda mechanical sounding from one of the guages. Also, my guages seem to do strange things, like the tach shoots up when I turn the key "on" (doesn't do it always, and seems to stop acting that way after a little while). The fuel guage seems to fluctuate too while the key is on...more than just the level changing from the gas sloshing around in the tank.

Any ideas? Thanks for all the help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 5:47pm
Is there any good wiring diagram for all the engine wiring and connections. I have a PCM manual but it doesn't seem to be as detailed as the engine wiring really is.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 5:50pm
The choke pulls serious current and can pull down the whole dash unless things are just right. The ignition wire is a marginally adequate guage wire for the total current.

Probe for the voltage drop, and likely the guilty component will be uncharacteristically warm, too. Ignition switch is suspect,as well as the QD in the harness. Check all the grounds for good contact.

I personally added a small relay to power the choke and alternator, so the ignition and dash are not overloaded, else more significant rewiring was in order.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 6:01pm
So I SHOULD be getting 12VDC at the inset of the ballast resistor?

by QD, do you mean "quick disconnect"?

I understand using a relay to power the choke, but the alternator? Why is it drawing power?

Where is the power coming from that is powering up the choke and the ballast resistor? I hate to start unwrapping the harness to trace it all out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 6:04pm
AFter looking at the wiring diagram on one of the manuals, it looks like everything is being powered through the ignition switch. I will start there as find out what is suspect.

Would this low voltage be causing the rough idle issues, if the coil wasn't getting a high enough voltage to produce adequate spark at low rpms?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 6:17pm
certainly could. Can't seriously continuue diagosis till you remedy this low voltage.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 6:58pm
After looking at the ballast resistor, I determined that if I unhooked the resistor, the voltage would jump up to 12+VDC, but with it connected it would drop back down. At first I thought that the resistor could be bad. But after thinking and talking to my pops (ol' motor head and electrical engineer), he thought that the resistor was doing what it is supposed to be doing and that the drop could be just from the load of the coil being energized.

He suggested like you that I check for voltage drops from the ignition switch.

Also he said, and I confirmed with the service manual, that there is supposed to be an overide wire coming from the solenoid to the output of the resistor to temporarly provide 12V to the coil under starting situations to get a hotter spark to get it started. On my motor that aux wire is not present.

I am gonna check the ignition switch right now. I did notice a couple of spade connectors loose on the fuses that could be it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 7:58pm
I went through the entire electrical path from the ignition switch to the coil:

1) Ignition switch 12.8V+
2) Ignition 12.4V
3) Harness QD at dash 12.2V
4) Hardess QD at engine 11.5V
5) Ballast resistor input 11.5V
6) Ballast resistor output 6V
7) Coil 6V

Not sure why the readings at the resistor were low earlier, maybe from disconnecting and reconnecting the wires, it got a little better connection. I guess the real question is:

What kind of voltage drop should I be getting across the resistor? I measured the resistance with an Ohm meter and it was reading 1.0-1.1 Ohms.

I guess if this all looks good as is I will start to look at different issues: points, rotor, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 8:22pm
I pulled the plugs to check the condition. They all look pretty good color wise except the #3 cylinder (viewed from the rear of the engine).

I also took the cap off the disty to check out the points and rotor. They look to be pretty new. You can see some corrosion on the faces of the points. Is the way they work is that the tip/end of the rotor brushes the corroded face of the points? Correct?

I will probably hook up the fakealake to it today and see what she runs like. It will probably idle fine and make it all that much more difficult to diagnose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 9:53pm
I used the wrong term when discribing the "lobes" on the inside of the cap.

I went to my dads and picked up a timing light and dwell meter to check the timing and the dwell setting of the points.

I think I am gonna go ahead and get a carb rebuild kit to educate myself in carbs as well as make it new again, since it looks like it has never been rebuilt since day 1. I'm assuming it is a 4150 since it has no metering block on the secondaries, but a flange plate instead. At least that is what the service manual says the distinguishing difference is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 10:23pm
Anyone know what the Holley part number is for the full rebuild kit. I think it is 37-1539, but not sure since I can't seem to find the exact model number on the carb. I see some numbers on the air horn, but none of them are the correct numbers.

Thanks for all the help guys. I promise the bugging of yall will soon stop.
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2005 at 11:12pm
Bill,

From the pics and everything you have descibed, here are the things I would do before I tried to run it again:

- Replace the coil (I think your coil is shorted and overloading your ignition circuit)
- Replace the points and condenser (They are shot)
- Replace the Distributor Cap and rotor (They are shot too)
- Replace the spark plugs
- Replace the spark plug wires

I think you will get it running fine and I think ALL of the above need replacing.

After you get it running well, replace the brand new points and condenser with an electronic conversion. Save the new points and condenser in a storage compartment on the boat as an emergency back-up.

If, after you make all of the above replacements, you still have a problem, attack the carb. From what I see, all the things I listed need doing even if the carb is the main cause at this point.

I would bet money that I am right on, on all of the above.

-jim
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 12:00am
Yep. It was definitely time for a tune up. Your number 1 and number 3 plugs look pretty fouled. Your number 2 and number 6 look a little too white - almost looks like you are running too lean on some cylinders and too rich on others. So, the carb rebuild sounds like a good idea.    

Be SURE to do a compression test soon. That COULD be oil fouling your plugs.

It's very possible that the plugs fouled when you had a weak spark caused by low voltage to your coil. If the voltage came back up after you disturbed the QD, and other connections, then you definitely need to clean and lubricate those connecitons.

Your distributor cap "contacts" have a big chunk of build-up on them that restricts electrical flow (needs to be replaced). The dust inside the cap is probably a good conductor and can cause the electricity to "jump around" inside the cap and ground out on the distributor body instead of going through the wires. Of course you always replace your rotor when you replace your cap.

When you get your carb kit, check to see which power valve it came with. Many of the kits come with a 2.5 valve. You should use a 6.5 for a standard 351 in a 2001. If you call Holley's tech line (find it on their web site) they should be able to give you the correct kit number. You will want to be looking at the carb when you call them. The numbers on the air horn are not the "model" or the "series" they are the "carburetor part number" or "list number".
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 12:22am
Thanks for all the tips. I will order all the parts tomorrow. Yeah, I researched it some and your correct the number is the List number. However, the one on my carb it not listed under Holley's cross reference chart. I will call them tomorrow. I wonder if the "renew" kit ski-dim lists is the correct one, although it is cheaper than most I have found on the web.

Can you get a coil from a local auto parts store? The one that ski-dim lists is $60.
What about the plugs? Can you get those at napa too? Ask for a ford 351?
So should I use dielectric grease for the QD's? I did notice some slight corrosion forming around the base of the pins.

I will get the tune-up kit from ski dim that has the cap, rotor, points, condensor, etc. That ought to be fun as I've never replaced any of those parts before. I'm good at reading directions though. With that kit I am halfway there to buying the electronic ignition conversion from vintageperformance. I just don't want to compound the problems, but then again I don't want to have to ask my wife for more money to spend on more parts.

Thanks for the help guys. She'll be up and running in no time.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 1:16am
Good tips..

bust don't worry about the white insulators, they're supposed to be white. At optimal combustion temperatured they self-clean.

If you see gray, thats bad.

To read the plugs you need a scope or cut the threads off and measure the thichness of black ring, but get it running better first.

The carb you describe is a 4160, and there are a hundred flavors, so yes, match the LIST number of the air horn for best match.

Even your dist lobes look corroded, and a few thousanths of corrosion could be signaling a few cyllinders to fire late or early. The oddly mispalced corrosion on the cap terminals suggest this also.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2005 at 1:47am
I believe the carb is a 4150 b/c of no metering block on the secondaries. I think I am going to stick with the points after all. They work, and if kept up correctly should offer the same amount of reliability and performance.

I am still deciding what to order from skidim and what to pick up locally.

Shopping List:
Skidim
1) Tune-up kit (cap, rotor, points, condensor)
2) Impeller
3) Carb rebuild kit (if they have the correct one)

Napa
1) Plugs
2) Plug wires
3) Coil (epoxy filled for marine app)

Anything I am missing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 12:24am
I did a compression check today:

1) 150
2) 140
3) 149
4) 135
5) 150
6) 145
7) 148
8) 149

Those look to be pretty good except for the lower compression on #4, but not by much. I got the new coil, plugs, and plug wires on today. Just waiting on the disty renew kit, and impeller to come in and then I will see if anything improves before I attack the carb.

Hopefully there is a good diagram on the cylinder numbers versus where they plug in on top of the distributor. I see that the cap indexes on top of the distributor, but there are no numbers to correspond to cylinders. I guess that at TDC the rotor points backward and I can work from there according to the firing order.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billgatesceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2005 at 2:02am
Could any of you verify if I should have a "jumper" wire from the starter solenoid directly to the coil. On the schematics in the service manual it show this wire. However, on mine, there is no wire to do this.

The purpose of the wire is to give the coil a full 12V ONLY when the engine is started.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic